• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    You honestly wonder? Have you heard it? vomit

Heard it, yes. Didn't like it much (nothing really wrong with it but it's too generic). But it's a Zimmer score after all for a quite big-stature game, can't think of it being unreleased. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    Sherlock Holmes
    Due for release on 21/12/2009

-> http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1251692 … oduct.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    Thanks Thomas! This looks good, nice cd cover too!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    Cool! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    This looks good, nice cd cover too!

It's not really the cd cover, just an excerpt of the poster as a placeholder.
  1. Thomas wrote
    Sherlock Holmes
    Due for release on 21/12/2009

-> http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1251692 … oduct.html

Interested what this will be like smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Who isn't? smile

BTW, has anybody read the new Broken Arrow review on FilmTracks? I am shocked!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Who isn't? smile

BTW, has anybody read the new Broken Arrow review on FilmTracks? I am shocked!

wow, 4 stars?
    I think Clemmensen is beginning to realize that (in his eyes) bad music of Zimmer is better than today's mainstream music wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009 edited
    Amusing how he finds Broken Arrow better than the PoTCs. Oh well, at least the guy can't be labeled a Zimmer hater now! wink

The additional 30 minutes of music really isn't particularly noteworthy (why these bootleggers don't turn their attention to something like The Lion King instead is a perpetual question)

*nods in solemn agreement*
  4. How? He is right. Somewhere after Gladiator, RC music, with the notable exception of thematicness of Transformers, is basically repeating old Zimmer's rhythmic patterns rather than creating (with the exception of the man himself, but even with He's a Pirate, due to time issues) notable and distinct themes.

The review shocked me particularly, because before this, he was giving two stars (though without a review).
  5. PotC 3 is just simply a case of Clemmensen still kinda wishing the score had a more classical mix (rather than Zimmer's bass preferences) and that really, Silvestri wasn't rejected.
  6. Can someone explain the feasibility of Zimmer releasing the rest of the Thin red Line music he scored and recorded? Is there a licensing problem that prevents him from releasing unused sections of the cues? Or does it stay permanently in the vault serving no purpose?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    I think Zimmer himself doesn't give a damn about his music being released to begin with. Otherwise I'm not sure how Tyler and Horner manage to fill their albums to the brim for just about any projects they take.
  7. I just feel that if he is of the opinion that it stands among his greatest work and the director didn't even use a third of what he composed and recorded, that he would want to put it to good use. I mean, it's his legacy, isn't it?
  8. especially a legacy he's particularly proud of (he is often self-critical, but I've NEVER heard an ironic or critical remark about THIS particualr score).

Many of the cues on the original album aren't in the movie though (the dark beginning of The Lagoon, Air, Stone in My Heart, Silence)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    Composers are very busy with working and earning more and more money these days people, they don't give a damn about CD releases (especially if you're someone of the magnitude of Zimmer) and most of the times they aren't even informed about the precense of a cd release or not. I wouldn't blame them really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The music will belong to the film company, so it wouldn't be Zimmer's decision anyway. Some of the composers do care about releasing their music (Chris Young springs to mind) but sometimes there's nothing they can do about it.
  9. Southall wrote
    The music will belong to the film company, so it wouldn't be Zimmer's decision anyway. Some of the composers do care about releasing their music (Chris Young springs to mind) but sometimes there's nothing they can do about it.

Is there such a thing as a "composer buy-out" so that he can get the rights to the music for a subsequent release?

I seem to recall that some (big name) composers retain the rights to the music from the outset?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think it all depends on their individual deals, but if you look at any mainstream soundtrack album, it's all copyright the film company and published by a subsidiary of the film company. The only time I can think of that the composer retains the rights is when it's a really small film (some of Mikael's releases are credited as being copyright the composer in question). Even rejected scores are still owned by the film company which paid for them.
  10. Yes, that was Yared's case on Troy. When he published the fragments on his site, he was sued by WB.

Zimmer reportedly retains rights to all his music. That's what Ravi was told when he tried to ask about a future complete score of The Lion King.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited
    Lion King was apparently a rumour I think. Some composer (I think Joel McNeely or James Dooley) later when asked why their direct-to-video Disney scores are largely unreleased, said that Disney holds the rights to every single animated film of theirs and doesn't let any composer have the rights after the composing is done. Even if Zimmer does hold the rights to some of his scores, I guess there's no guarantee of their completes being released because he's very critical of his own music and about what should and shouldn't be released on the album... for example I read he says the short score pieces on the TLK soundtrack are the only good parts of the score (yeah, enough with the modesty Hans!), and thinks Days Of Thunder is rubbish (while I find it quite enjoyable). Oh well, I'll still be praying for Lion King's release. I'm satisfied with the current TTRL album though.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Southall wrote

Yet his Spiderman 3 score never got released. How frustrating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Zimmer reportedly retains rights to all his music. That's what Ravi was told when he tried to ask about a future complete score of The Lion King.

I don't think that can be right. Disney of all people wouldn't allow that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The word allegedly came from someone in Disney itself. But like you said, it seems unlikely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think there' s a large studio / company out there who leaves the rights to the composers, no matter who these are, except for very few exceptions, like Titanic. Clever B Horner is still making money out of Titanic soundtrack sales!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited
    He doesn't own the music though. That's no different from anyone else. He gets royalties as composer of it, the same as anyone else. His agent apparently negotiated an amazing deal (something like $1 per album sold - and look how many copies it's sold!) but he doesn't own the music.

Jerry Goldsmith apparently made more money from royalties from the Mulan album than he had made from album royalties in the whole of the rest of his career put together.
  11. Studio retains rights for the score of Titanic. A percentage off the soundtrack sales was in his contract (the same is with composers and every release, actually, composers DO get royalties off the sales).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Keeping those royalties was a very clever thing to do though, he foreseen the success and whilst most composers working in hollywood will out-rightly sell the rights to the studio completely and move away with the fat check, he had the vision to see the huge WIN of the soundtrack, thus keeping royalties.

Anyway, to the subject matter:

IT'S COMPLICATED
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Hans Zimmer and Heitor Pereira

Meryl Streep
    Steve Martin
    Alec Baldwin

From writer/director Nancy Meyers (Something's Gotta Give, The Holiday)

Jane (Meryl Streep) is the mother of three grown kids, owns a thriving Santa Barbara bakery/restaurant and has — after a decade of divorce — an amicable relationship with her ex-husband, attorney Jake (Alec Baldwin). But when Jane and Jake find themselves out of town for their son’s college graduation, things start to get complicated. An innocent meal together turns into the unimaginable — an affair. With Jake remarried to the much younger Agness (Lake Bell), Jane is now, of all things, the other woman.

Caught in the middle of their renewed romance is Adam (Steve Martin), an architect hired to remodel Jane’s kitchen. Healing from a divorce of his own, Adam starts to fall for Jane, but soon realizes he’s become part of a love triangle.

The lively and romantic score is from Academy Award winner Hans Zimmer and guitarist Heitor Pereira.

Universal Pictures opens IT’S COMPLICATED nationwide on Christmas Day.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 001 2

Release Date: 12/22/09
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, I knew Varese would do this. biggrin Bring it on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Keeping those royalties was a very clever thing to do though, he foreseen the success and whilst most composers working in hollywood will out-rightly sell the rights to the studio completely and move away with the fat check, he had the vision to see the huge WIN of the soundtrack, thus keeping royalties.

Really? In order to do that, the composer would have to surrender the right to be called the composer of the work, so if you looked at any cue-sheets or ASCAP/BMI summaries for the score in question then you wouldn't find the composer mentioned anywhere (instead, for instance, "Twentieth Century Fox" would be listed as the composer). I don't think that's very common at all (if it's even legal). I think what Horner did with Titanic was to negotiate an additional royalty payment over and above the standard one which composers get from their performing rights society.