• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    A really good score can't be ruined by watching the film. I even watched Once Upon A Forest...

Thanks for the warning cool wink

It can for me, it has happened in the past too.

Me too! There were some albums I really enjoyed that took years before I could listen to them again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007 edited
    RICHARD HARVEY - Animal Farm

I tried again tonight, for Tommy_Boy; alas my friend, i can't connect to any single bit off this, at all. And those irritating animal songs about taking revenge over mankind on day.......arrghhhhhhh!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEJANDRO AMEBABAR - the others

Dark, mysterious, esoteric, challenging and with a distinct 'old-school', Herrmann-esque scent all over it and several heartbreakingly touching melodies expressed in beautiful string adagios. I really wish he did so much more scores (and movies). A truly talented artist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    You have to watch / listen "The Sea Inside" then. Great effort.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have. And totally agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I watched it recently, and waited for an over-over-over dramatic score due to the film´s nature, but it isn´t; Amenabar achieves what seems impossible: to compose a dramatic score more effective than a super dramatic score full of clichés. Bravo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my favourites from Goldsmith. It's packed full of emotions this score - especially in the cue "The Final Message". From ~3:05 Goldsmith captures the honour of the Japanese culture but also the enormous beast they have woken after their attack on Pearl Harbor.

The main theme for this score is exquisitely beautiful.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LEE HOLDRIDGE - Beastmaster

punk
  1. Brian Tyler - Frailty (promo)

Decent score, but after the praises I've heard for it I'm rather disappointed, sadly. Good piano theme, the rest is sadly using all the well-known dark thriller idea without even half the beauty some composers could give to such a story (JNH for example, or Zimmer for that matter). Maybe not a temp-track-ridden score, but definitely pretty typical. Again.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think how you'll ever appreciate a Tyler score if you're constantly preoccupied against wink
  2. If I heard something completely genious that would take my socks off, I would appreciate him. But if I hear generic progressions, themes and temp-track all the time, I can't appreciate him. I respect his organic sensibilities (ie. the fact that he gives orchestral ensembles everywhere and wants to be traditional), but he could find his voice there as Giacchino did. I can't see what is the fuss about this guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KITARO - Heaven and Earth

Beyond words beautiful and melodic. I am so stunned every time i play this!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    KITARO - Heaven and Earth
    Beyond words beautiful and melodic. I am so stunned every time i play this!

Oh yeah. A true masterpiece. I always loved Kitaro for his synthesized Silk Road stuff and was totally amazed when he delivered a full orchestra score for Stone´s movie. It was only then that I realized that he was most probably personally involved in that famous orchestra album of Silk Road.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Badelt - The Promise

Beautiful score... I love it -- particularly "Guagming the General" and "Love Theme". It's a typical MV score but with beautiful orchestrations and the Chinese National Symphony Orchestra did a great job with playing the score. Simple but superb... I'd wish he'd write more scores like this (or use the CNSO more often).
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If I heard something completely genious that would take my socks off, I would appreciate him. But if I hear generic progressions, themes and temp-track all the time, I can't appreciate him. I respect his organic sensibilities (ie. the fact that he gives orchestral ensembles everywhere and wants to be traditional), but he could find his voice there as Giacchino did. I can't see what is the fuss about this guy.

Well, what do you expect to hear? That's why i am saying that being negatively biased towards something before you even come in initial contact won't take you anything as you won't let yourself be taken anywhere, sometimes even without directly realizing it. Are half of your favorite composers truly more inventive and genuine than Tyler? That's a good question to see what i am talking about here about being biased wink Tyler might not be your most original composer out there for sure but he damn right write a good tune, his arrangement / instrumentation / theme manipulation and coherent harmonic skeletons capabilities are impressive and so is his orchestral musicianship overall, something quite rare in our days amidst younger composers, even at a technical level. He plays a huge load of instruments himself, he's really into it, he's very productive and imaginative and a deadly passioned person on film music, his job and these are just some of the reasons he's so respected in the industry currently. Those are qualities that i personally appreciate in a young composer today.
  4. Half of my favorite composers - are they inventive. let's see:

Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, John Williams, Bernard Herrmann, Michael Giacchino, Danny Elfman, John Powell are among that half in no particular order. Everyone of them have/had their own styles, are/were inventive when situation lets them (JNH seems to take up projects that demand him ripping off others, though, recently and Horner since 1997 is an exception).

I don't care about his compositional technique as long as it means something. Good tune? Really many composers can do that given a chance. Technically he is on the level of his generation or maybe people slightly older. I don't believe that his passion is the reason for his respect in the industry. I think he gets so much job because he rips the temp-track without particularly big problems. He does that and seems to love it. His arrangements are rather typical, his themes too. I don't see anything that would be definitely Brian Tyler in the scores of Brian Tyler. He can orchestrate? Great. I respect his organic sensibilities. He conducts himself? Good, but I don't find the performances particularly amazing. And you people go over how great Alien vs. Predator 2 is even if the score is as generic and typical as 90% of scoring today. OK, it's more orchestral. But if given the right demands EVERYBODY with a decent orchestrator could have written AVP. Especially if that orchestrator would be Nicholas Dodd, though, but that's not the subject of discussion here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Half of my favorite composers - are they inventive. let's see:

Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, John Williams, Bernard Herrmann, Michael Giacchino, Danny Elfman, John Powell are among that half in no particular order. Everyone of them have/had their own styles, are/were inventive when situation lets them (JNH seems to take up projects that demand him ripping off others, though, recently and Horner since 1997 is an exception). .

Oh; you only listen to these? wink

I don't see anything that would be definitely Brian Tyler in the scores of Brian Tyler.

Well there's a distinct way of thematic / melodic development in each and every score of his but that won't appear directly if you listen to a score once, dead-bored and waiting for the last track to arrive wink Besides that, FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT, WAR, parts of PAPARAZZI are pure Tyler to me.

He conducts himself? Good, but I don't find the performances particularly amazing. And you people go over how great Alien vs. Predator 2 is even if the score is as generic and typical as 90% of scoring today. OK, it's more orchestral.

In fact i would like to hear how DARKNESS FALLS or AVPR (just to name 2) could be of any fuller, richer, broader sound and of any better level of technical traits and / or performance whatsoever. Or War; or Fast and the furious: tokyo drift; the production levels of his works are currently right at the top in modern film music if you ask me.

But if given the right demands EVERYBODY with a decent orchestrator could have written AVP.

Well why don't they do it then if it's so simple? Everybody? Why so many poor scores come in our way if all you need is a good orchestrator?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Switched to CHRISTOPHER YOUNG | The shipping news

Not as excited as the rest with this score (TOO much Celtic stuff for me) but i have to admit the main theme's infectious!
  5. From other composers, some Jones, some Desplat recently (in fact I'm more and more falling for his music). I am avoiding some composers and Tyler was one of them until I decided to give him a chance recently. Except that I listen to practically everything that falls in my hand, often turning it off after few tracks.

Thematic/melodic development, well, right. It's called phrasing if memory serves me well (and my English biggrin ). But the progressions are often not his, even Zimmerish. Well, "War" sounds a lot like Bourne, I agree with Southall. Fast and Furious I avoid. Paparazzi sounded to me like an MV wannabe.

I feel the orchestra isn't very inspired in Tyler scores. They perform very by the numbers, as opposed to some stuff getting out recently, like PotC 3 - probably Zimmer's best performance in career - or most of Williams scores. I find the performances rather bored. Fuller? How about fast-paced complex string writing? He tends to go over brass chords and motifs. And with fast-paced complex string writing I think of something Williams or Horner tend to do. Orchestrations? But what new is there? I've heard that kind of effects in almost every horror score I've heard and I haven't heard many.

Maybe because they don't get the money. Or orchestra. Or the directors don't let them. Remember how directors are afraid of music today and lack of it. There are a lot of possibilities we don't get as good music as we can get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

He conducts himself? Good, but I don't find the performances particularly amazing. And you people go over how great Alien vs. Predator 2 is even if the score is as generic and typical as 90% of scoring today. OK, it's more orchestral.

In fact i would like to hear how DARKNESS FALLS or AVPR (just to name 2) could be of any fuller, richer, broader sound and of any better level of technical traits and / or performance whatsoever. Or War; or Fast and the furious: tokyo drift; the production levels of his works are currently right at the top in modern film music if you ask me.

Enough!!!

again....An impressive score in a technical level. Impressive orchestrations, and IMpressive recording. It can't sound better than this!!!! But where is AVP2 own identity? I wonder if i put some action track from the scores you mentioned if you are capable to know from wich score is!

Where are the inflection points? the story? the climax? the atmosphere? the coherent motif or theme to put together all this action stuff???The devolopment? the progression?

NP:Alien Versus Predaroe Requiem

Yeah, it sound incoherent. But is not. I enjoy it in a more basic level. But I don't think it will be for much time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh i am sorry, did i offend you?
  6. I would expand on Jordi's thoughts and ask of Tyler's own identity...
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Oh i am sorry, did i offend you?

Probably he doesn't like to be shown things he can't see. Or Erik should show them biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Where are the inflection points? the story? the climax? the atmosphere? the coherent motif or theme to put together all this action stuff???The devolopment? the progression?

We´re talking abour AVP2 here......don´t forget that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would expand on Jordi's thoughts and ask of Tyler's own identity...

Pawel mate, I think i answered that above. I don't like to repeat myself.

Well there's a distinct way of thematic / melodic development in each and every score of his but that won't appear directly if you listen to a score once, dead-bored and waiting for the last track to arrive wink Besides that, FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT, WAR, parts of PAPARAZZI are pure Tyler to me.

If you don't like them that's fine, i won't change your mind nor do i think further arguments on this will contribute anything.

As for if i can identify tracks from the action scores i mention question, i find it deeply offending for obvious reasons i won't even bother mentioning.

I like how you're parading against generic writing while at the same time worshiping works like LAIR (i won't EVER go over that again, it's all over in http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … o/#Item_18 (and done with Martijn in a civilized and constructive way with no "enoughs" and bullcrap like that in which i felt way more comfortable i must say) or Pirates of the Caribbean which basically bear the same characteristics that you impute on Tyler as negative (very good technical level but generic).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Mmm...No excuses. What about Goldsmith's scores for crap movies???

When a score say all what it has to say in the first couple of tracks...Bad signal. And Sadly All Tyler scores are the same story.

Do you want a excelent track? "Requiem Prologue". And I say again. I enjoy very much the orchestrations and the action music from this score. But Im offended because Demetris tend to overrate some composers....and tyler is one of them. tongue

NP:Golden COmpass

A magnificent score. Worth to investigate his complex orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    But Im offended because Demetris tend to overrate some composers....and tyler is one of them. tongue

There's no objective criteria when it comes to music evaluation and personal tastes and you know that perfectly well. As for who's to judge my tastes and who do i overrate or not and if that's true or not, i don't think you're the one to do it? And i gotta say mate I don't particularly appreciate cocky attitudes interrupting perfectly healthy discussions out of nowhere, demanding that they're halted for no apparent logical reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    But Im offended because Demetris tend to overrate some composers....and tyler is one of them. tongue

There's no subjective criteria when it comes to music evaluation and personal tastes and you know that perfectly well. As for who's to judge my tastes and who do i overrate or not and if that's true or not, i don't think you're the one to do it? And i gotta say mate I don't particularly appreciate cocky attitudes interrupting perfectly healthy discussions out of nowhere, demanding that they're halted for no apparent logical reason.

Oh....Sorry for interrupt Healthy discussion.

Go ahead Please..I will shut up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't tell you to shut up, you told me to.

Scroll up a couple of posts and see for yourself. If you want to contribute with arguments like Pawel did, then please go ahead and present them. But don't expect to me accept your "enough"'s.

Also: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … i/#Item_25