• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I didn't tell you to shut up, you told me to.

Scroll up a couple of posts and see for yourself. If you want to contribute with arguments like Pawel did, then please go ahead and present them. But don't expect to me accept your "enough"'s.

Also: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … i/#Item_25

Oh....Demetris is getting serious. I just said "enough" in a banal way. Not serious, dude. You know me.

Im tired..I Go to sleep. good night.
  1. Yes, Jordi, I do agree with Demetris that when it comes to overrating some composers, you are not an authority in showing that biggrin But I still like you
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Saw the post before you edited it and i don't think it goes along with what you presented as a "banal, not serious" way of telling things.

Anyway, better that you edited it out, i'll forget it; subject's closed on my behalf. Have a good sleep and we'll talk tomorrow wink

n.p. (at least tried to play) PHILIP GLASS - Anima Mundi.

One of my less favorites by the composer, mostly due to the weird vocal arrangements i guess. Can't really handle large portions of it at once.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Damn after all this I´m anxious to hear AVP2! I can´t wait.
    But before that, and speaking of Tyler, one of his best scores IMO:

NP Partition (Brian Tyler)

I can´t get enough of the main theme and its final rendition in the End Title.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Saw the post before you edited it and i don't think it goes along with what you presented as a "banal, not serious" way of telling things.

Yes, it was banal. In a some funny way to say "ey! Again talking about AVP2, let me join it! ". trust me.

But it doesn't mean is not true what I edited from my last post. You didn't answer me about the diferences about War or AVP2. The lack of thematic elements in Tyler's latest scores.Or What do you think about a score wihtout any sense of devolopment.

Anyway, I see you are getting too serious, and I don't like who is going the thing righ now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi,

I don't think there's a lack of thematic elements in Tyler's latest scores. Don't they have distinct motifs? 'Cause they're all over the place and i can perfectly hear them; yes, they aren't fully developed and extended themes in the more traditional sense but as far as standards for modern film scores FOR FILMS LIKES AVPR and WAR go (at times i think you're forgetting what kind of films we're talking about here) i think Tyler provided more than accomplished musical accompaniments, even more than what the afore mentioned deserved.

And i am not sure what you're saying exactly with "a sense of development" but development in music isn't only a nice hummable theme you can sing in the shower wink Development lies deeply within dissonant structures and intense, heavy writing as well, like the one showcased in AVPR in various pieces in the form of climaxes via denser arrangements and meters, increase of loudness and thickness in the writing among other techniques.

You might not like heavier, complex orchestral writing and you might enjoy things more simple, more easily- digestible and discriminable, served through clear-cut themes and simpler arrangements. That's perfectly fine too and everything in music has its time, place and value whatsoever and it's your right to listen to what you like the most; but to dismiss everyone else who DOES enjoy this kind of heavier orchestral music or stuff you don't appreciate and / or don't understand, as overrating composers or fanboy behaviors or anything in this vein, is purely egoistical.

I like your passion and energy, Jordi, and the way you freely express yourself. But at times, there are limits to stay within, imo, and that applies to all of us. I am not going serious with no reason here, at lease that's how i feel. I do that when i feel that my personal tastes and views are disrespected by unprovoked and not justified attitudes. I didn't tell you what to listen to or why you scream around about stuff you like the most, did I? When I do, openly and clearly, then i must grant you the right to call me a fanboy who overrates stuff and doesn't know what he's listening to my friend wink Until then, let me ROCK THE HELL out of my neighbors with stuff that fuels my passion. punk

Cheers!
    D
  2. I don't think it's so simple here, Demetris. Remember what does Giacchino do in Lost's action music. He tends to repeat few-note motifs. In fact in a more elaborate way he expands on the same idea in Sniper Showdown (MoH: Airborne), where instead of a simple motif he takes the Operation Varsity theme to do it (and makes it sound a bit like Kate's theme from the series - I don't mind it - that's his style).

I can't say that Tyler doesn't develop anything in this score. I wouldn't say his themes are amazing or even decent (save for the guitar theme in the end), because they really aren't. Tyler knows his job as a film score composer very well. Technically he is also pretty good, I don't take that away.

The thing is that I don't find Tyler particularly complex. And again I will give the example of Giacchino who is much more complex than Tyler. Look at Giacchino's rhythms. Reworking of some Horner's orchestration ideas maybe is a decent and bright idea, but again, it has been everywhere since - the percussive (is it col legno?) stringed instrument, some of the glissandi. It has been in every brutal/aggressive gory horror action score. I, unlike Jordi, know where musical development lie and I don't blame Tyler for being unable to do something in that matter. I do blame him for his unoriginality and for sounding the same. I do wonder what would have Giacchino done for this project. Hell, even John Powell. Beltrami would be great, even if I don't really like the guy much. But I find Tyler just way overrated. He might be a nice, passionate guy, but if he could develop more of a *style* rather than repeating some clicheic progressions and giving it simple themes, he would be a much better composer. Now I really see him no more than a temp-track lover.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    as far as standards for modern film scores FOR FILMS LIKES AVPR and WAR go (at times i think you're forgetting what kind of films we're talking about here) i think Tyler provided more than accomplished musical accompaniments, even more than what the afore mentioned deserved.

That´s the key point here. There are movies and there are movies. I don´t think Tyler´s approach was the same when he composed, for example, "Partition" (Jordi, with its themes, development, climax, etc) than when he did AVP2, which I´m sure was a gift, a toy to play and make the loudest action score of the year.

We are always talking about movie music, not a symphony, where the composer has total freedom (and plenty more time to write it wink ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i surely agree on Giacchino, there's no possible way of comparing here 'cause the man's at the top. But i have my reservations towards Powell. I don't doubt he's probably one step higher than Tyler indeed but on the other hand, think that - while he's indeed a very able and talented composer, some of his stuff is too overrated (X-men: the last stand for instance which does absolutely nothing to me and also the third Bourne, whilst the second one was pure genius, Agent Cody banks and a couple more). What i loved in AVPR is Tyler's unrestrained energy, pathos and musical flow; not praising it for originality traits, i can tell there aren't many of those but if i had to choose yeah, i too believe that GIACCHINO would be the absolute top choice currently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007 edited
    Exactly Marcel, great point there. We ALL so often neglect primal things and circumstances in film music which fundamentally discriminate it from other musical genres: the movies, the directors, the purpose of the score. We shouldn't.

Also :

Marselus wrote
    AVP2, which I´m sure was a gift, a toy to play and make the loudest action score of the year.

It was. Tyler said it himself (can't remember where though) that doing an ALIENS and a RAMBO score was probably his greatest dream ever. And - at least in AVPR which we now hear, he perfectly showcased it; that's what i like the most and his passion is what i admire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    We ALL so often neglect primal things and circumstances in film music which fundamentally discriminate it from other musical genres: the movies, the directors, the purpose of the score. We shouldn't.

Yes and I´m the first creating great expectations on movies in which the only purpose of the score is simply to be in the background (not the case in AVP2 I´m afraid wink ), or whatever, not a score which will make history, which needs themes for every single character, etc.
    I´d rather stop here ´cause this debate could last for hours. With some beers on the table this could be great! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah; i am REALLY in the mood for the beer in the tables thingy! We SO have to organize an MT meeting soon! We've talked about it already with Bregt.......me wanna me wanna me wanna sad !!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Haha...I´d like too, but I´m afraid that the closest thing to a MT meeting can happen in events like Soncinemad or Úbeda.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Well i surely agree on Giacchino, there's no possible way of comparing here 'cause the man's at the top. But i have my reservations towards Powell. I don't doubt he's probably one step higher than Tyler indeed but on the other hand, think that - while he's indeed a very able and talented composer, some of his stuff is too overrated (X-men: the last stand for instance which does absolutely nothing to me and also the third Bourne, whilst the second one was pure genius, Agent Cody banks and a couple more). What i loved in AVPR is Tyler's unrestrained energy, pathos and musical flow; not praising it for originality traits, i can tell there aren't many of those but if i had to choose yeah, i too believe that GIACCHINO would be the absolute top choice currently.

I also dislike X-Men 3, finding it a bit generic, JUST because he dropped his style a bit. But he would do an amazing job for AVP 2 if he got the right inspiration. I think many of composers working today would be capable of this energy had their been passionate for an idea of doing an Alien score. We always forget inspiration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Only one last thing...I enjoy dissonant scores. Reign of fire or alien 3 can be an example of a better devoloped dissonant score.Anyway....

I have lost this battle.

But I join the beer table! ! beer

NP:AVP2 Requiem

Yesssssssssssss..... It rocks the house! When is a 77 minuts of disonant action writting and Im not tired of it, is a good sign eh?

I love "bishop countdowns" "reprise!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Ah; i am REALLY in the mood for the beer in the tables thingy! We SO have to organize an MT meeting soon! We've talked about it already with Bregt.......me wanna me wanna me wanna sad !!!

Agreed. But with Marselus too...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I also dislike X-Men 3, finding it a bit generic, JUST because he dropped his style a bit. But he would do an amazing job for AVP 2 if he got the right inspiration. I think many of composers working today would be capable of this energy had their been passionate for an idea of doing an Alien score. We always forget inspiration.

Well that's true, provided that there's grounds for inspiration in the movie (we haven't seen it yet) and / or how much time he had in his hands or what demands the filmmakers of the specific film had from Tyler / would have from someone like Powell. But it would surely be very interesting to find out, although as i said before, nothing would top GIACCHINO, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

I have lost this battle.

But I join the beer table! ! beer

I did not see any battle; screw that, JOIN IN THE BEER TABLE punk beer

This year in Spain might hopefully find us all around a real one eventually! We'll see smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Yesssssssssssss..... It rocks the house! When is a 77 minuts of disonant action writting and Im not tired of it, is a good sign eh?

Aargh, Jordi doing a Jordi! Again! Again! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    This year in Spain might hopefully find us all around a real one eventually! We'll see smile

That would rock! Yeah! Lots of beer and "battles" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Aargh, Jordi doing a Jordi! Again! Again! crazy

That's because Pirates suites influence....I was more mature when I was litening only Star Wars tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    I was more mature when I was litening only Star Wars tongue

Man you gotta ditch those things man, they screw your head mannn cool biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I was more mature when I was litening only Star Wars tongue

Man you gotta ditch those things man, they screw your head mannn cool biggrin

Oh don´t worry, his head is already screwed. Collateral damages of Zimmeritis biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jordi, when you argue a return to symphonic suites and themes in the traditional sense, you will find me in your corner every time!

Just don't mess with D.! angry
    (That's my prerogative biggrin )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    But you know that´s not gonna happen don´t you?
    I´m afraid these days are gone, generally speaking of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, it's just that noone is DOING it, because everyone is SOOOOOOOO into textures and SOOOOOO atonally mature. One of these days one young pup of a composer is gonna stand up and say "hey, wouldn't it be, like, kinda cool when people would actually remember what they heard and like, maybe, whistle or hum to it when they leave the theatre?"
    And then all Hollywood will go agog onboard that bandwagon, and the whole thing will start anew.
    You cannot supress beauty!

...waitaminit. You're just trying to get me going again, arentcha? :raisedeyebrow:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    ...waitaminit. You're just trying to get me going again, arentcha? :raisedeyebrow:

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would expand on Jordi's thoughts and ask of Tyler's own identity...

Pawel mate, I think i answered that above. I don't like to repeat myself.

...I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that?

biggrin
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I am saddened (but not surprised) to see the usual Tyler bashing. No distinct voice? Are you kididng me? Have you people even LISTENED to Tyler scores? Whats funny is the Tyler voice to me is apparent in scores that Demetris didn't evne list...Timeline, Annapolis, Children of Dune, Partition, even Darkness Falls to name a few...they are not all the same genre or stylistically but they have similar motifs and orchestrations and it is that Tyler sound that I love. Don't give me that it sounds like Horner cause it DOESN'T. Horner scores have bored me for the past two decades outside of Zorro, Boring. Tyler, on the other hand has exciting scores ever since Timeline. A lot of the horror stuff doesn't do much for me, but Darkness Falls is great in that genre. Greatest Game Ever Played, another great melodic score with a wonderful theme.

War and Furious? They're just fun rockers in the vein of Rabin, Zimmer and co but they still have the signature Tyler rhythms and melodic structure in the strings. War seemed like Furious lite, which itself seemed like Annapolis on steroids, but thats just me.

As for the new Alien score, I've heard it and it's alright. It seems really atmospheric and generic to me, it's action music and its fun but it's really dissonant and not easy listening at all. I'm looking forward more to Rambo.

And Demetris I think you might have meant to say that there is no OBJECTIVE criteria to judge tastes on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Like TJ I really don't understand why people are saying Tyler doesn't have his own unique style/voice/sound/whatever you want to call it. I only have five of his scores and it was quite apparent to me by the third or fourth one that Tyler had his own sound and he stuck to it. And still does, unless AVP:R drastically disagrees with my expectations.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!