• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Raiders of the Lost Ark | John Williams

I've been in the biggest Indy mood for days now. I have Struzan's brilliant Crystal Skull poster up in my uni room!

Did you buy the poster from the starwars shop?

-Erik-

Nope. I got it from a local cinema because I know someone who works their and they were able to get it for me.

L-U-C-K-Y B-A-S-T-A-R-D!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (James Horner)

Wonderful... wonderful score. I hope Giacchino has a nod or reference to Horner's work in his ST score in addition to the Courage theme. But this score either needs to be remastered or given a meticulous re-recording.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (James Horner)

Wonderful... wonderful score. I hope Giacchino has a nod or reference to Horner's work in his ST score in addition to the Courage theme. But this score either needs to be remastered or given a meticulous re-recording.

I'm pretty sure the only nods will go to Courage. And if Michael is going to give a nod to ANY of the films it would most likely be Goldsmith's The Motion Picture and NOT Horner's The Wrath of Khan.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I remember reading an interview saying that Giacchino is going to cherry-pick his references to previous ST scores, but you're probably right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    I remember reading an interview saying that Giacchino is going to cherry-pick his references to previous ST scores, but you're probably right.

That wouldn't make ANY sense musically since this is suppose to be the original crews first voyage so why reference anything other than Courage's theme. I'll see if I can talk to Michael and ask him.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008 edited
    I think when I read the interview, it was right after J.J. Abrams had just got the gig to write and direct the ST prequel, and it was still uncertain whether the project would get the greenlight in terms of start date and casting (I'm sure Giacchino was speculating earlier on, so I'm trying to not put words in his mouth).

And for a prequel, you can certainly foreshadow things to come (Williams did that well with the SW prequel scores).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Raiders of the Lost Ark | John Williams

I've been in the biggest Indy mood for days now. I have Struzan's brilliant Crystal Skull poster up in my uni room!

Did you buy the poster from the starwars shop?

-Erik-

Nope. I got it from a local cinema because I know someone who works their and they were able to get it for me.

L-U-C-K-Y B-A-S-T-A-R-D!!!

-Erik-

Usually referred to in the U.K. as J-A-M-M-Y B-A-S-T-A-R-D!!!

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKING WITH DINOSAURS - Benjamin Bartlett

Easily the best TV score for many many years!

Creative, inventive, melodic and fantastically orchestrated, I'd really have to go back quite a few years to find TV scoring as good as this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. So...

NP: Sunshine - John Murphy and Underworld

1. Why does the iTunes release of this score have a bunch of awful sound edits on practically every cue? Nothing starts and stops properly. You'd swear they cut it out of the film sound edit.
    2. Why has no-one noticed how similar John Murphy's music is to his music for MIAMI VICE?
    3. Why are the bad things about this film burned onto my retina! I want to remember the good, such as they are!
    4. Why did the International Film Music Critics Association esteem this score in any capacity? (I ask this as a member.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    You mean that 20 track version is the iTunes release!? confused I thought it was just a DVD-rip?

EDIT: Ah... there isn't an iTunes version, so your edition is filled with all those movie-sounds because it's a DVD-rip wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Sunshine - John Murphy and Underworld

1. Why does the iTunes release of this score have a bunch of awful sound edits on practically every cue? Nothing starts and stops properly. You'd swear they cut it out of the film sound edit.

You're listening to a DVD rip!

2. Why has no-one noticed how similar John Murphy's music is to his music for MIAMI VICE?

I didn't hear that one. Is it really that similar?

3. Why are the bad things about this film burned onto my retina! I want to remember the good, such as they are!

Think of Miami Vice then. biggrin

4. Why did the International Film Music Critics Association esteem this score in any capacity? (I ask this as a member.)

I don't know. I for one didn't nominate that one. I guess it's solely based on those two climactic cues?
    Kazoo
  2. I liked MIAMI VICE though. wink (A guilty pleasure, if ever there was one.)

The similarities to MIAMI VICE are in the two climactic cues - they're basically the 'Who are You' theme with an accelerating bass pedal and string harmonics.

I thought I bought this one off iTunes. I must have illegally downloaded it one night in my sleep! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - I am Legend

Top stuff
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:GodZilla (Arnold)

Go Metals Go!!!!

My less favourite of the Emerich-Arnold trilogy, but with some terrific stuff anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Still playing I AM LEGEND and deeply impressed by it. "The Pier" and "Finale" are easily the most outstanding single compositions by the composer this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Still playing I AM LEGEND and deeply impressed by it. "The Pier" and "Finale" are easily the most outstanding single compositions by the composer this year.

What are Newton Howard's best double compositions? wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom | John Williams

A few of us watched the film last night, it's been a long time since I saw this film... and it was great! Full of classic Indy moments, I much prefer Doom to Crusade. Score and film. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom | John Williams

A few of us watched the film last night, it's been a long time since I saw this film... and it was great! Full of classic Indy moments, I much prefer Doom to Crusade. Score and film. cool

^ With you ALL THE WAY!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    The Matrix Reloaded — Don Davis et al.

Some great, great stuff in there. The Matrix Reloaded Suite is, by far, my favorite track, along with Monalisa Overdrive, which puts me in the best mood every time ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Killing of John Lennon-Kiszko

At least for me, very little to get excited about.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    Christodoulides wrote

Also liking this score. I like the first track, and 'Can They do That?'. The reunited track is also nice. Bravo James Newton Howard smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: Bad Girls - Jerry Goldsmith

What is exactly that people dislike in this score? It's not amazing, but the theme is quite enjoyable in it's different permutations from soft acoustic guitar to full on brass. I especially like the way the theme ends, and "Ambush" is a great piece of action.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

'Molossus' and 'Laizurius' from BATMAN BEGINS. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

^ With you ALL THE WAY!

-Erik-

Why Do you prefer the Doom than Crusade (film)?

NP:Godzilla

Still in Arnold Mood.

he's back/taxi chase beer

Destroy the metals, arnold!
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

'Molossus' and 'Laizurius' from BATMAN BEGINS. biggrin

You stole my line confused
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    David wrote
    NP: Bad Girls - Jerry Goldsmith

What is exactly that people dislike in this score? It's not amazing, but the theme is quite enjoyable in it's different permutations from soft acoustic guitar to full on brass. I especially like the way the theme ends, and "Ambush" is a great piece of action.

Agree. It doesn't keep my interested in all his lenght but I find it rather addictive and catchy.

NP:The Musketeer (Arnold)

More Arnold Metals.

I don't know why people dislikes this score, I find quite entertaining, and the love theme is very nice (with the guitar).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Rambo III

I probably Prefer Rambo , For the National Philarmonic and his more action oriented type of score, But Rambo III is a more devoloped score.

The Game or Night Flight really punk

John Rambo theme is one of the most touching compositions by Jerry (and this is said for one guy who doesn't like the trumpets!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: THE MIST - Mark Isham

A little disappointed... After Crash, Lions for Lambs and In The Valley of Elah, I thought he would give a creepy version of his on ambient bordering mood-score, and while that's exactly what he does in the shorter cues (Won't Somebody See A Lady Home?, Mist), he's going for generic actionscoring most of the time (Tentacles, Bugs, Spiders), which is the side of him I like least.

The highlight is, of course, the new version of Dead Can Dance's The Host of Seraphim, which also seems to be used as an inspiration for the original score (the vocal also creeps into the action music of Spiders). If the release would be more of this, it could've been a great 32 minutes. Now, I only wish more that Thomas Newman would've gotten the job.

EDIT: The endtrack, Vicious Blues, is a moodkiller of the worst kind which I'd categorize as 'stereotypical lazy jazz' slant