• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    biggrin

btw, now shifted to JOHN MURPHY - Sunshine

Top work that reminds me of one of my favorite movies last year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Agree. By the end of the movie I think the director lost control of the situation though. But overall, a great movie, always with a sense of danger in the air. And the score worked pretty good.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    That's what i liked too mate. The ominous odor of danger in the air; and the spectacular shots of the space-shuttle, its massive shield and the sun were top-notch! Not to mention the breath-taking scenes in the booth where they could observe and view the sun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yep all that you mention was great, all the mood built through the film. Too bad that (IMO) the final act is the standard (even if it´s quite bizarre) ending in this kinda movie. But I won´t complain, as almost all the movie is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I loved the ending; too twisted, loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    It´s a movie I wouldn´t have cared had it lasted for three hours. I loved the mood and the "danger crescendo" as the events progressed. And great performances by the actors / actresses by the way.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It was a cool movie, but the whole thing with the guy who'd been baked by the sun for several years was kinda weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    It´s a movie I wouldn´t have cared had it lasted for three hours. I loved the mood and the "danger crescendo" as the events progressed. And great performances by the actors / actresses by the way.

Yeap, very tight and coherent, very much unlike the vast majority of the "H" crap out there today. And the score is brilliant when you observe its functions within the movie. I am playing the "repairs" cue right now, really loud. This odd, modern take on Cliff Martinez combined with the trademarked Murphy quirkiness really gets me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Great Debaters - James Newton Howard and Peter Golub

Reminds me of a blues version of The Emperor's Club. Similar subject matter too.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Great Debaters - James Newton Howard and Peter Golub

Reminds me of a blues version of The Emperor's Club. Similar subject matter too.

cool

Haven't heard it yet but from that description it seems like a huge NO-NO to me.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's very Thomas Newman-like. Some cues are brilliant while some are rather boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Probably so Demetris. It's still a very pleasant listen with all the typical JNH emotional writing you'd expect. I'd like to know what Golub's contributions are. confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    LSH wrote
    Probably so Demetris. It's still a very pleasant listen with all the typical JNH emotional writing you'd expect. I'd like to know what Golub's contributions are. confused

Ditto. But I'm not too fond of the louder cues, they're a bit annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: A.I. (Academy Promo) - John Williams

Brilliant! Simply brilliant! Makes me want to watch the film again even though I can't stand it... well, the ending that is. Anyway, "Stored Memories And Monica's Theme" is playing right now and I'm getting goosebumps listening the piano rendition of Monica's Theme. Wow, just wow!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Any good action cues in it Erik? I can't remember what the film was like...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Edit

(secret: i didn't actually edit!)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Interesting question... especially from a film like this. Action cue wouldn't be the first thing I think of.

Anyway, there are no GOOD action cues. The lone "action cue" is an awful attempt by John Williams to add a bit of techno "The Moon Rising." It's pretty bad. Besides that... there's no action music to speak of.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    It's very Thomas Newman-like. Some cues are brilliant while some are rather boring.

I wrote my review of this last night and really couldn't think of much to say about it. It is indeed very Thomas Newman-like (hence The Emperors Club reference above is very appropriate - JNH stepped into Tyler Bates territory with that one). It's quite pleasant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Interesting question... especially from a film like this. Action cue wouldn't be the first thing I think of.

Anyway, there are no GOOD action cues. The lone "action cue" is an awful attempt by John Williams to add a bit of techno "The Moon Rising." It's pretty bad. Besides that... there's no action music to speak of.

-Erik-

I like it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPARTACUS - Alex North

My favourite North score, wonderful stuff and a love theme to die for.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Sex and Lucia (Iglesias)

The themes of this lovely score are utterly charming.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Last Legion - Patrick Doyle
    So much better than I expected! I just got it the other day, after previously only having heard it once within the context of the (pleasant but cliched) film. Of course it has one of the endlessly-repeating Doyle themes, but it does a great job of establishing and maintaining the classic-historical-epic mood.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    NP : TRUE CONFESSIONS - Georges Delerue

Perfect for this time, gorgeous beyond belief and a great "comfort zone" score if you know what I mean? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Air Force One (GOldsmith)

A really, really inspired action stuff. Energic and with more dense orchestratoins than his posterior efforts.

the American Theme and the Russian theme " tour the fource" in the track "Hijack" is incredible! Obviously the Russian theme wins....

AFO theme has a delicious feeling of westen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ANTONIO PINTO - love in the time of cholera

Some very good points in it, like the breathtaking finale but overall nothing too impressive. I particularly liked the GIACCHINO - LOST rip wink If you're into moody and off-beat, melancholic small-scales scores then this is for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    ARMAND AMAR - le premier cri

Disappointing bland and repetitive effort by a composer who has given us so much more than this. Nothing to see here then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Some very good points in it, like the breathtaking finale but overall nothing too impressive. I particularly liked the GIACCHINO - LOST rip wink If you're into moody and off-beat, melancholic small-scales scores then this is for you.

I've got this for quite some time now, and before I had it I was really looking forward to it, but now I just haven't come around to listen to it... (also after the movie got such horrible reviews...). Will do soon, though smile
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    ARMAND AMAR - le premier cri

Disappointing bland and repetitive effort by a composer who has given us so much more than this. Nothing to see here then.

1. I really like that one.
    2. Of course it's repetitive, he's a bloody minimalist!
    3. Ignore this man.
  3. Christodoulides wrote

And THIS (!?!) is GOOD?!? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Franz, le premier cri is nowhere even near his brilliant works "Bab'Aziz ", "Va, vis et deviens ", "Terre vue du ciel, La" and even "Amen" or "Indigènes". As a fan or Armand you are too, you know those works but as a fan or Armand I am as well, i DO know he's a minimalist and i DO know his works; Le premier Cri feels emotionally dry and uninspired and a very disconnected musical experience.