• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008 edited
    NP:Explorers (Goldsmith)
    the Main theme is absolutly addictive , but i can't enjoy the rest..specially this kind of "funny" pop tune for the Aliens.

Can anyone change my mind?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Explorers (Goldsmith)
    the Main theme is absolutly addictive , but i can't enjoy the rest..specially this kind of "funny" pop tune for the Aliens.

Can anyone change my mind?

I think you are letting that little "pop tune" get in the way of the rest of the score because the rest is just as good as the main theme. Have you listened to the entire album? "No Air" - "First Flight" - "Fast Getaway" - it's all good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Explorers has some good stuff in the film which didn't make the album. I don't like that pop stuff very much either, but there's some great material in there which makes me wish Goldsmith had tackled that sort of thing a little more frequently when he went through his "anything for the money" phase (which began about that time!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    In a 90 piece orchestra, what use would there be in having the first violins SEE the clarinet player? In a string quartet, or a whole string section, or even a chamber orchestra, I could buy that argument. But once your orchestra gets above 40 players, they're not going to be watching other sections, unless it's a concerto piece where they aren't playing but watching a soloist for long stretches of the piece.

I'm not talking about "watching" other players play, I'm talking about the players listening to the other sections play while they are either resting or playing along. The players can feel the energy of the entire piece when playing together and that will in turn will be represented in their own performance.

I've witnessed this during Michael Giacchino recording sessions. There were moments where after playing a piece together for the first time that you could tell that the entire orchestra was feeling the energy of the music. After finishing they would all start chattering, laughing or looking around at other members of the orchestra with this look of amazement on their faces. They would then play the piece again and the performance this time had a bit more gusto. Once the piece was finally recorded and then a break was called, members of the orchestra would run to the booth just to hear the playback. I don't think you could get the same energy or sheer joy of performing as a full orchestra by playing your parts separately. While it still would be flawlessly performed I doubt you would have the same emotional performance as you would when played together as a group. Also, when playing together players can hear what other instruments are playing along with them. This can directly affect the performance as well. They might make adjustments to their performance to compensate for that.

-Erik-

Ah ok. I get what you mean.

I do think a good conductor should be able to get there with separated sections though.

No, Erik is completely right about this. There is, to cite an obvious example, an unmistakable lifelessness to the performance of The Golden Compass despite the ingeniousness of the music itself.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. I will grant you the sound is not all it could be, but I just can't agree about the performance. They're two very distinct things.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    The Lord of the Rings:The Return of the King~ Howard Shore

Even though it's been some years now I can;t help but feeling increadible emotions each time I listen to any of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. My heart is captured by the sounds and the powerful icons they create in my mind.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Poltergeist II

I enjoy more this sequel than the first one. Specially the heroic (Air force one) theme for the chairman (?).

I don't agree with you about it being better but I do agree that it's very enjoyable.

Quite underrated IMO.

NP : nothing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Medal of Honor: Airborne - Michael Giacchino

Superb scoring.

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more.! In fact i am playing it too right now and i just woke up! (Not so dear) Neighbors: go crazy! tongue punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Battlestar Galactica - Stu Phillips Anthology

After playing Bear McCreary's modern musical incarnation so many times I thought I'd play an old favorite.
    Still love the old Battlestar theme! Just a great, fun score! Wish the recording was better though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    AVALON | kenji kawai

Like MarieLise told me yesterday, this score has indeed similarieties with 's I Am Legend, especially that lonelyness and sadness, and even the notes, of Voyage to Avalon. Only Kawai's scores is a bit bigger in scope. No reason to compare though, just the idea and similarity. But Kawai's score exists of a bunch of really good cues.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    AVALON | kenji kawai

Like MarieLise told me yesterday, this score has indeed similarieties with 's I Am Legend, especially that lonelyness and sadness, and even the notes, of Voyage to Avalon.

Agree, and it fits the movie perfectly. The cue you mention, "Voyage to Avalon", is quite similar in that lonelyness / sadness aspect you mention. And its reprise in "Voyage to Avalon (Orchestra Version)" is simply amazing, developing the theme in an operatic sense. Both film and score highly recommended.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008 edited
    NP: Angel - Philippe Rombi

SCORE OF THE YEAR - 2007

I've been going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth between three scores over the weekend. Island of Lost Souls, Atonement and Angel. Those are my Top 3 of the year but I had the hardest time picking the best. Well, after another satisfying listening on Sunday... no kid, no wife, - just me in my basement alone with my music... I blasted this score and it filled my heart with warmth. The lush string theme for Angel, the playful comedic music heard in a few cues, the over the top dramatic scoring... it's another score right up my alley. It's a score from start to finished that always has something to offer displaying numerous emotions during it's playing time. An expertly crafted score with some delicious orchestrations that hark back to a more Golden Age sound... something that I embrace in modern day scoring. While I still get my dramatic kick with Atonement and my action/adventure Williamsesque kick with Island of Lost Souls, Angel, for me, hits all the right buttons musically and emotionally. And for a 70 minute running time the CD NEVER gets dull. Actually, I find myself wanting more when the final track is played. A brilliant score which IMHO is the best film score I heard in 2007.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Rombi's themes have a way of making you crave that last note. The themes are always so satisfying when they resolve.

NP: Magnolia (Jon Brion)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Glad you liked Rombi's music so much Erik. There's way more for you to discover wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    No kidding... I thought I'd throw on Rombi's "Ouverture" from Joyeux Noël.

shocked

I've had this one in my collection since May 2006 and this is the first time I've played it! Absolutely mind blowing!

I'm really looking forward to playing more in the near future. What other Rombi scores are out there?

-Erik-
  3. I highly recommend his sweet/sour score from JEUX D'ENFANTS, or LOVE ME IF YOU DARE. The love theme is absolutely perfect. There's an Overture in that too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI - Malcolm Arnold

I don't care much for Alford,'s 'Bogie march' but Arnold's score is top notch.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    shocked

I've had this one in my collection since May 2006 and this is the first time I've played it! Absolutely mind blowing!

-Erik-

I hope there's not too many IFMCA members as diligent at listening to things as you. wink

NP: Red Violin Concerto (Corigliano)

I love the final movement of this. The first movement is the 'Chaconne', which would be familiar to those who have the original soundtrack album. Three subsequent movements were composed, sometimes only distantly related to the score. But this is bold, challenging stuff. Films rarely call for it, and even more rarely get it.
  5. NP: "Barbeque Brawl" from Tom and Jerry - Scott Bradley

You all know the one - Spike and his son are having a barbeque that is interrupted by T&J...and an army of ants.

I'm not usually a fan of mickey-mousing but when your childhood is littered with Tom and Jerry gems then it's more a case of being in the blood.
    biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Magnum Force - Lalo Schifrin

Moved on to this score that was never going to reach the heights of Dirty Harry - but it does have an awesome main title theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Chato's Land - Jerry Fielding

Listening to the new clips over at Intrada:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACC … egory=-101

I find Fielding a very difficult composer to enjoy. The clips are okay but as "Doug's Corner" mentions (http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACC … egory=-102), "...With so many albums coming out, no one but Bill Gates can afford them all. So you folks have to be choosy...", so I'll be passing on this one.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    This afternoon I've heard:

Jaws 3D - Alan Parker, which is so much better than I thought it'd be, the wonderfully offbeat and inventive Extra and Dead Doll by Bobby Johnston who deserves to get a lot better assignments based on these 2 scores and his previously released King of the Ants.

And now onto a score I can finally call my favourite Henry Mancini - Without a Clue which is truly wonderful. (The only other cd I have of his is Lifeforce, and I'm apparently the only person on the planet to say this - but I don't like it! confused )
  8. This is weird! Same country, same hobby, same.... CD in the player!

NP: Without a Clue (Mancini)

I don't have Lifeforce, so I don't know whether I like it or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    No kidding... I thought I'd throw on Rombi's "Ouverture" from Joyeux Noël.

shocked

I'm really looking forward to playing more in the near future. What other Rombi scores are out there?

-Erik-

Une hirondelle a fait le printemps:
    http://www.amazon.fr/hirondelle-fait-pr … B00005NFR9

also "5x2" and "ou mais".

And what Michael mentioned above too, for starters smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    This is weird! Same country, same hobby, same.... CD in the player!

NP: Without a Clue (Mancini)

I don't have Lifeforce, so I don't know whether I like it or not.

So you've never even heard Lifeforce?
  9. Well, I've heard CHILDREN OF DUNE and XMEN 2, so I think I know a little bit of LIFEFORCE. biggrin

I keep meaning to get the PROMETHEUS release of it, but the price and the plethora of other things to get have held me off so far.
  10. NP: Kingdom of Heaven (Harry Gregson Williams)

I have to write about a kind of medieval journey and landscape today, so this seems to be a logical choice...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARK ISHAM - galapagos - the enchanted voyage

A wonderful and exotic, heavily melodic and nostalgic musical journey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Do you mean Galapagos?

Edit: Ah, you do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yeap, edited.