• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    That theme from TAKE A HARD RIDE should get married and have some baby themes! punk

Goldsmith's variations of that theme during the action tracks are splendid!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

I don't know exactly why I like this score, I love the dark thematic stuff and synthesized motifs, also the very low male choir is so cool during Hector's theme. I'm not that fond of Bernstein but ever since seeing the movie so long ago, the themes just stuck in my head ever since and I was glad they finally released this nice sci-fi thriller soundtrack.

I love this score too though I know it's not to everyone's tastes?

Sooner or later some label just has to release what I consider Bernstein's greatest score on CD, HEAVY METAL?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote

Sooner or later some label just has to release what I consider Bernstein's greatest score on CD, HEAVY METAL?

Taarna's Theme! What a gem!
    The Silva Bernstein re-recording has a nice performance of this. We need more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    WAR & PEACE | jan a.p. kaczmarek

The opening track is incredible!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    NP : Rambo II - Jerry Goldsmith

F***K yes. This is macho music, and is meant to be played LOUD.
    I like the way that Goldsmith turns the Rambo theme of the first movie, into a big action piece for the second.
    The action cues puts the adrenaline high, and the infamous "farting" synth always make me laugh. moon
    It's a bit harsh of a score, and the synth effects are now dated, but it's nothing more appropriate for a no-brain movie like Rambo.

Can't wait to see what Tyler as done for the new Rambo..
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    A.R.RAHMAN - Warriors of heaven and earth

This score has some magnificent moments in it, like the irresistible 7-note, song-like main theme (also turned into a beautiful song in "Warriors in Peace") or spectacular pieces like "The Golden Era", "Dacoit Duel", "Lai Chi", "Escape" and the pretty impressive "Warriors of Heaven and Earth" that closes the album. It's all about the charms of the deep, ancient East with the vast array of ethnic musical instruments of all kinds (percussive and wind prevailing) combined with the beauty of the western musical culture into an exotic musical journey. "Warrios of heaven and Earth" won't grab you instantly, right from the very first listens but you will find that with time and deserved attention given, it can get quite rewarding and challenging. Recommended to the lovers of the different, the new, the exotic.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Music From Twin Peaks (Angelo Badalamneti)

"The Nightingale" and "Questions In a World of Blue" might be two of the more beautiful and melancholic (but sad at the same time) songs written for a TV show/Film ever.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Lust, Caution - Alexandre Desplat
    First time on CD. A lot of Desplat's underscore has a feeling to it that's so European it almost seems like alien music to my ears. Not necessarily bad, just vaguely uncomfortable in its unidentifiableness. That said, the main theme of this score is beautiful and haunting.

Playing loudly in headphones...I just heard the piano bench creak!

WP: Army of Two - Trevor Morris
    I can't wait til Morris gets the chance to compose a decent-budget film score. He has Zimmer's style down better than most of the other recently-emerging RC dudes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Gun - Christopher Lennertz

A thunderous western score with influences of Broughton's Tombstone. This is one angry mother!!! Awesome score, awesome sound, great themes... one of Lennertz's finest!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Bregt wrote
    WAR & PEACE | jan a.p. kaczmarek

The opening track is incredible!

This is a good score, actually. Well done to Kaczmarek!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I hope for the sake of the backseat drivers you didn't have a bim-bam smash. wink

tongue

Well...It could be cool if I could drive as bourne in the bourne Supremacy car chase!I think I have burned the chapter of my dvd!

NP:Stargate the Deluxe Edition (Arnold)

Absolutly one of my all time favourite scores.

The mix between Space and Egypt is so good that I almost want scream of pleasure!
  2. NP: NOUVELLE VAGUES (Desplat and the Traffic Quintet) followed by MOVING MUSIC (Armand Amar)

The two best compilations albums of film music I heard this year. Both are really strong, and very different.

Next: THE ASSASSINATION OF THE GUY BY THE OTHER GUY (Cave/Ellis)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    NP: I am Legend (Newton Howard)

shocked Wow....I didn't expect nothing after to watch the movie....

What a good surprise!

The main theme has this kind of 2 notes that makes you move, the chorus, the soprano , the strings and the piano makes a really effective and majestous theme. There are some other really interesting orchestrations like ankluns and bells and some Goldenthal stuff.

The electronic elements are welcomed for a SCI FIC movie too....

beer

KEEP THE NAME OF THIS TRACKs : "THE PIER" "REUNITED" WILL BECOME TWO OF THE BEST NEWTON HOWARD CUES. DEMETRIS, THIS IS FOR YOU!

PS: Why the director didn't want to put more stuff like this in the movie?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: De Fortables... uh, Island of Lost Souls (Jane Antonia Cornish)

Listened to Erik's summer 2007 lineup to find out what the fuss was about, and I have to say I was simply impressed with this effort. Cornish obviously had a lot of enthusiasm when writing this score, it is just fun and... the size of the orchestra is massive. There's influences of John Williams and David Arnold in it, but this is purely original and FUN. The first and final cues alone are worth the purchase... I'm so glad I bought it.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Matt C wrote

Listened to Erik's summer 2007 lineup to find out what the fuss was about, and I have to say I was simply impressed with this effort. Cornish obviously had a lot of enthusiasm when writing this score, it is just fun and... the size of the orchestra is massive. There's influences of John Williams and David Arnold in it, but this is purely original and FUN. The first and final cues alone are worth the purchase... I'm so glad I bought it.

I just heard this one for the first time today too. The last 2 tracks are great, and the writing is quite dense and complex but there's nothing particularly original about any of it, a lot of the shorter cues are actually quite generic and the main theme reminds me of something though I can't place it.

I'm sure it'll improve with time but after a first listen I'd say it's a good score rather than great - and massively overrated considering how much people have raved about it to this point.
  3. I think the theme you're thinking of David is a motif from Wagner's Ring cycle... I swear the word Wagner jumps into my head whenever I hear the main theme of Cornish's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote

Glad to help introduce that score to you. IMHO, it's one of the very best of 2007.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Home Video Album-Compilation

Many of the selections are Charles Gerhardt. He in my opinion is as good as the OST.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

Glad to help introduce that score to you. IMHO, it's one of the very best of 2007.

-Erik-

You still owe me for being introduced to another great score... Blizzard.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    i'm listening to KING SOLOMON'S MINES
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHER WONG's JOURNEY FROM THE FALL

The year's biggest surprise for me. Any input from anyone else? If not yet, you're missing out some excellent music i tell you wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    CHRISTOPHER WONG's JOURNEY FROM THE FALL

The year's biggest surprise for me. Any input from anyone else? If not yet, you're missing out some excellent music i tell you wink

Gonna buy it I think. Just too much good comments. wink

I AM LEGEND | james newton howard

Beautiful, sometimes heartbreaking main theme, unfortunataly for the ego that Will Smith is. More music and emotions than the movie hd and it's beautiful to hear the renditions of this main theme. Simple but effective. Defenitely one of the better onsof 2007. Now just passed the first half of the album and the best seems yet to come...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Stargate the Deluxe Edition (Arnold)

Absolutly one of my all time favourite scores.

The mix between Space and Egypt is so good that I almost want scream of pleasure!

biggrin

Bregt wrote:

I AM LEGEND | james newton howard

Beautiful, sometimes heartbreaking main theme, unfortunataly for the ego that Will Smith is. More music and emotions than the movie hd and it's beautiful to hear the renditions of this main theme. Simple but effective. Defenitely one of the better onsof 2007. Now just passed the first half of the album and the best seems yet to come...

Surprised to read the positive response to the score... I remember absolutely nothing from the music while watching the movie. I thought most of it was without music anyway to get the idea of desolation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, there was like 20 minutes of score, this album has 45 minutes. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I have to say Elizabeth The Golden Age starts to grow on me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    NP: MINORITY REPORT - John Williams

I can't see why this score is still getting so many criticism. Sure, when I first heard it, it was a disappointment (even though I loved the film instantly) and I couldn't get through it in a single listen, only picking out parts to listen, like the great Spyders or Eye Denti Scan. But while I listened to it last night, it kept my interest all the way through with great writing and a terrific mood. Dietrich's vocal really has become one with this film, for me! And I especially love that string build-up in Psychic Truth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Simpsons Movie (Zimmer)
    I can see, It's short and it even contains a lot of uninteresting stuff...

But I can't believe some people is not exited with tracks like "Trapped like Parrots", "Doomsday is family day", "Why does everythin..", "World's Fattest fertilizeter" or "Spider pig"... They are highly addictive!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote

I can't see why this score is still getting so many criticism.

It does!? Who? I want names and addresses. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote

I can't see why this score is still getting so many criticism.

It does!? Who? I want names and addresses. slant

I don't think it's that great though I know you love it Steven, I much prefer A.I. from around the same time.

p.s. I didn't criticise it though.....you've got my address so no nail bombs or razor bladed envelopes please! wink