• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    NP: THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

Alright, only halfway through on my first listen (though I already heard the score within the film), but so far, I'm failing to see what's so 'different' about Desplat's approach to this fairytale. On the contrary, even, I didn't expect such mediocrity for such a film from him. Sure, it's got some nice ideas, yet it's not enough to put it up to his usual standards. Still, I haven't finished yet, and I am aware that at first, people were let down indeed, and only after several listens they saw the genius. So I will have patience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    It'll probably grow on you after a few listens, but it's still one of Desplat's weaker scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP I´m Legend (James Newton Howard)

shocked

Now THIS IS JNH´s 2007 score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote

shocked

You're Legend? shocked spin wink

NP : THE VALLEY OF GWANGI - Jerome Moross

Excellent suite from the Silva collection, very Big Country like....and that's a GOOD thing! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

shocked

You're learning! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're cheeky! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

shocked

Not yet tongue

Still Playing I Am Legend spin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    NP : THE MUMMY - Jerry Goldsmith

What can I say! Goldsmith at his most swashbuckling and fun. Personally the last great score he did before his untimely death. At this point in his carreer he was still more than able to write extremely exciting action cues and epic themes, and shows how he still had enough inspiration to dazzle us with brilliant film music, if he were still alive today.

Since his departure to that other place my interest in film music has deminished greatly. To never hear something of this calibre again by the great maestro is something I have difficulty to accept, even after all these years.

You're still the man Jerry!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: I Am Legend - James Newton Howard

About half way through my first listen...

Add a nice trumpet solo, thick layers of strings, a couple of loud Zimmeresque action tracks and what do you get. Meh! Nothing much really. However, "The Pier" is a very, very good track! I hope it picks up during the latter half.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Transformers (jablo)

My new car and me...We are friends...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

But your car now hates you for playing that trash through its speakers!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Nah....But I expect he transformers in any moment in some autobot.....

NP:Poltergeist (Goldsmith)

I have listening this score in the background in my work all the week, I can say after trying to hard I becamse very familiar with this score, and I even enjoy this kind of 70's earlier 80's Goldsmith Action stuff.

Rebirth is very powerful, but how I really have to put Star trek Side of my head to really enjoy that cue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Let us know your opinion after a complete first listen, Erik wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Pat wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Let us know your opinion after a complete first listen, Erik wave

That is my opinion after a complete first and last listen. It's awful!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    biggrin

Btw, did you like Blood Diamond?
  1. BobdH wrote

... I didn't expect such mediocrity for such a film from him...

Mediocrity isn't a very nice word. I don't think anyone so far has described it as that. A let-down, I'll live with that, but mediocre?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Pat wrote
    biggrin

Btw, did you like Blood Diamond?

Meh! Not really.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Island of Lost Souls - Jane Cornish

I'm hoping to finally add some more shows next week which will include a boat load of 2007 releases and my Top 10 of 2007. So far, this score by new comer Jane Cornish is one of three scores that are up for score of the year! I can't get enough of this. This is the way I like them! Big, bold, epic and purely symphonic!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm hoping to finally add some more shows next week which will include a boat load of 2007 releases and my Top 10 of 2007. So far, this score by new comer Jane Cornish is one of three scores that are up for score of the year! I can't get enough of this. This is the way I like them! Big, bold, epic and purely symphonic!

-Erik-

I'm going to have to give this one a few more listens. I've tried to listen to it, but I just haven't made it through the whole thing in one sitting yet. Nothing stands out to me. It's certainly big and loud, but seems fairly generic. Like I said though, I'm willing to give it a few more spins since there seems to be general praise for it.

NP: I am Legend - JNH

Never would have expected this to come from the movie. I honestly don't recognize anything. It's awesome this was released otherwise we would have missed out on fabulous tracks like "Evacuation" and "The Pier". Good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    BobdH wrote

Mediocrity isn't a very nice word. I don't think anyone so far has described it as that. A let-down, I'll live with that, but mediocre?

Indeed far from mediocre!
    Bob, how dare you say that. shocked

David wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm going to have to give this one a few more listens. I've tried to listen to it, but I just haven't made it through the whole thing in one sitting yet. Nothing stands out to me. It's certainly big and loud, but seems fairly generic. Like I said though, I'm willing to give it a few more spins since there seems to be general praise for it.

Same here, I don't hear it either. There's not a theme that jumps out, or a cue that you want to listen again too. I've heard it several times, and unlike Golden Compass (or even Stardust), it just isn't doing anything here.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    BobdH wrote

Indeed far from mediocre!
    Bob, how dare you say that. shocked

I said something controversial. Yay biggrin But, why shouldn't I say 'mediocre'? I can't hear any new ideas, new sound, or even Desplat's recognisable sound with his quality. It didn't do anything for me (yet), either, neither in the film nor on CD. So in my book, that's 'mediocre'; good, probably, but not above ordinary standards smile

NP: I AM LEGEND - James Newton Howard

Leaving a much stronger impression than The Water Horse, this is gorgeous stuff. I love the religious tones of the theme, and although there aren't much themes, you never get tired of the variations of those that are present. I don't mind the choice they made of representation in the movie though; I thought the sparce use of music worked excellent, and the fact that the music that was composed is so beautiful, doesn't change this.

It also surprised me that basically 90% of the music is dramatic, as apposed to only a few action/horror cues, so a lot of people won't be getting what they're expecting from a 'vampire movie' :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    BobdH wrote

Leaving a much stronger impression than The Water Horse, this is gorgeous stuff. I love the religious tones of the theme, and although there aren't much themes, you never get tired of the variations of those that are present. I don't mind the choice they made of representation in the movie though; I thought the sparce use of music worked excellent, and the fact that the music that was composed is so beautiful, doesn't change this.

It also surprised me that basically 90% of the music is dramatic, as apposed to only a few action/horror cues, so a lot of people won't be getting what they're expecting from a 'vampire movie' :p

I haven't heard it yet but i am wondering what's going on in here as most of the people who have seen the movie can't remember such a score in it. Does the CD essentially contain unused cues or was the music mixed so badly and low in the movie it was virtually non-discernible? Also, by the descriptions of the music so far, i'd have guessed it's something in the vein of a more modern take on JOHN TAVENER or something?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

I haven't heard it yet but i am wondering what's going on in here as most of the people who have seen the movie can't remember such a score in it. Does the CD essentially contain unused cues or was the music mixed so badly and low in the movie it was virtually non-discernible? Also, by the descriptions of the music so far, i'd have guessed it's something in the vein of a more modern take on JOHN TAVENER or something?

The album has around 45 min of music on it, whereas the film probably has no more than 15-20, so about half is unused material. I've also read various places that the director removed the choir from the music as used in the film. And yes, some of the music was mixed almost inaudibly. I'm not criticizing the director; the movie works quiet well without music, but it is like hearing a brand new score.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    War of the Worlds | John Williams

Terrific action score with stunning complexity and truly pushes the limits of the orchestra (particularly in "Attack on the Car" and "Escape from the City"), but am I the only one who thinks a main theme would made this score even better?

I know Spielberg wanted a return to Jaws-styled scoring for this film, but even that score had a recognizable theme.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    War of the Worlds | John Williams

Terrific action score with stunning complexity and truly pushes the limits of the orchestra (particularly in "Attack on the Car" and "Escape from the City"), but am I the only one who thinks a main theme would made this score even better?

I know Spielberg wanted a return to Jaws-styled scoring for this film, but even that score had a recognizable theme.

Works absolutely fine as it is IMO, great score!
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008 edited
    NP: I am Legend (JNH)

I really dont know what has been included and rejected in the movie and I will never know since i will probably not see it, however what's on this album is simply excellent imo! His best score in 2007 (even though the album is released in 2008).

EDIT:

Rahh yes, those religious tones are a killer for me! smile
    Add to that the excellent recording quality and the perfect running time (not too long).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - I am Legend

First play and i am totally loving what i am listening to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAN A.P. KACZMAREK - war and peace

Still on my first couple of listens and struggling to understand what all the fuss is about.
  2. I must admit I've only listened to half of the cues in WAR AND PEACE. The whole thing is a bit imposing. wink It's probably the most demanding score he's had to do in years - much harder than his retread in EVENING and the cutesy FINDING NEVERLAND.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am