• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    NP The Simpsons VG (Christopher Lennertz)

Another proof of the talent of this composer.
    Oh, and some tracktitles are funny: "Bartman Begins" and above all "Medal of Homer" (great track by the way).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Images - John Williams

A great score to finally have on cd, I'm enjoying it a lot more than the recent, slightly repetitive, Monsignor too.
    Hard to believe that 2 of the standout cues - both string based but very different in style - "Reflections' and 'Blood Moon' didn't even make the final cut of the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard

In my top 3 JNH scores, truly brilliant and great in the film too! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Heroes (Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman)

I'm not listening to score tracks or a CD, per se, but just reflecting on the music composed for the first season as a whole. It's an interesting score as a whole, which is a more experimental and introspective effort. I did enjoy the motifs for Niki/Jessica (usually punctuated with a wordless female vocal) and the dark yet intriguing sound for Sylar, and the end credits music. I understand the producers and composers were aiming for a different kind of sound for a more grounded show, but it wouldn't hurt to hear a more traditionally heroic sound for these everyday heroes occasionally. That said, the score is not for all tastes.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Miss Austen Regrets-Jennie Musket

A newer composer on the British scene has delivered at least in this upcoming special a poignant powerful piano piece with able assistance from symphony orchestra. This is just 8 selected cues but good ones and one that I want to explore further.

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Heroes (Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman)

I'm not listening to score tracks or a CD, per se, but just reflecting on the music composed for the first season as a whole. It's an interesting score as a whole, which is a more experimental and introspective effort. I did enjoy the motifs for Niki/Jessica (usually punctuated with a wordless female vocal) and the dark yet intriguing sound for Sylar, and the end credits music. I understand the producers and composers were aiming for a different kind of sound for a more grounded show, but it wouldn't hurt to hear a more traditionally heroic sound for these everyday heroes occasionally. That said, the score is not for all tastes.

I'm surprised there are motifs. I really only remember synth pads and maybe occasional piano, nothing that sounded too interesting to me in particular. That said, I'm not sure how I would feel with a traditional orchestral score for the show. It's a much grittier and realistic show about super heros (if that makes any sense). I think a heroic score would seem wildly out of place.

NP: Wyatt Earp - James Newton Howard

Whenever I listen to this, I always forget how lovely the melodies and the score as a whole are. One of my favorites from Howard, and makes me wish I owned and listened to more westerns. Perhaps after this I'll put Goldsmith's awesome music to 100 Rifles on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard

In my top 3 JNH scores, truly brilliant and great in the film too! cool

I completely agree mate, a splendid work overall , both film and score. I particularly appreciate the sense of fragility in the sound JNH has created for this movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lately i've been particularly charmed and drawn to Mark McKenzie's THE ULTIMATE GIFT. I liked what i heard from the initial playings of course but with repeated listens for over a month now, i've been completely taken with everything from "plane wreckage" onwards, included. Such strong and heartfelt themes, such a delicate beauty throughout each and every note! Its nature is truly impressive.
  1. Not a bad year for McKenzie actually. GIFT and THE LAST SIN-EATER are both pretty strong works.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

And Jordi, are you familiar with Christopher Young's Hellbound : Hellraiser II score?

Yes, I have it. Terrific score, even more than the first one.

Weird how the people shut up about Star Trek obious references in Poltergeist..... tongue

NP:Rambo III

The second is my favourite because the action it's more and more vibrant. And performed by the National philarmonic!

But the third is better devoloped, more balanced and more thematic. Overall it's better.

"night flight " and " final battle" punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Weird how the people shut up about Star Trek obious references in Poltergeist..... tongue

What?

Why are you so hung up about that? It sounds awesome, it works brilliantly in the film. What's to complain about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Emperor's Club | James Newton Howard

A lovely little score. Very undemanding on the listener which is perfect for my damn cold at the moment! slant
  2. Nautilus wrote

I think Goldsmith was meant to be going through a pretty hard time then. I'd heard a theory or two as to why his music started to turn around that time, and it's pretty understandable that he wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel with every cue of every score by then.
  3. TROY (Yared)

Remarkable score. You just don't get stuff like this anymore. It's rejection condemned the film to utter mediocrity instead of near-mediocrity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Today I got my new car, so for my first drivin with it I played...

Autobots (transformers), Mona Lisa Overdrive, Backseat Driver and Bim Bam Smash

http://www.citroen.es/CWE/es-ES/RANGE/P … C3/HomeC3/
  4. I hope for the sake of the backseat drivers you didn't have a bim-bam smash. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nautilus wrote
    Today I got my new car, so for my first drivin with it I played...

Autobots (transformers), Mona Lisa Overdrive, Backseat Driver and Bim Bam Smash

http://www.citroen.es/CWE/es-ES/RANGE/P … C3/HomeC3/

punk

Next time some highly big orchestral pompous music!
    You'll drve evryone off the road. biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

A lovely little score. Very undemanding on the listener which is perfect for my damn cold at the moment! slant

I recommend a healthy dose of Port & Brandy lick cool

I know what you mean though, I've still got a hacking cough but I seem to have got off lightly compared to some of my friends.

NP : THE MISSOURI BREAKS - John Williams

A very long time since I've played this and I can hear why......it's rubbish!

Okay, that's a bit unfair, it's just not my cuppa tea slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    I hope for the sake of the backseat drivers you didn't have a bim-bam smash. wink

biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I recommend a healthy dose of Port & Brandy lick cool

I know what you mean though, I've still got a hacking cough but I seem to have got off lightly compared to some of my friends.

NP : THE MISSOURI BREAKS - John Williams

A very long time since I've played this and I can hear why......it's rubbish!

Okay, that's a bit unfair, it's just not my cuppa tea slant

NO!! The last thing I need is more alcohol! dizzy

Tonight I will get drunk on caffeine I think. Lots and lots of caffeine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Post 2000 in the Now Playing topic is for Steven!
    And it's as off topic as it can be. biggrin

Hooraaay!
    Kazoo
  6. punk punk punk punk punk
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

No comment from me! cool

and just hit my 1001st post biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Take A Hard Ride - Jerry Goldsmith

I've had this one in my collection since it came out on FSM in 2000 and can you believe I've only heard the stunning main theme. shame This score was being discussed recently at FSM as being Goldsmith's best western score. Let's hope so!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KING KONG - James Newton Howard

This is the second time I've played this in a few days? It's too over-long but it's a damn good score.

I'd still love to hear Shore's effort?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    King Kong is a DAMN good score, especially the beauty killed the beast variations and no matter how much i love Shore's work, i doubt his rejected score would be in fact better than Newton-Howard's.
  7. NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

I don't know exactly why I like this score, I love the dark thematic stuff and synthesized motifs, also the very low male choir is so cool during Hector's theme. I'm not that fond of Bernstein but ever since seeing the movie so long ago, the themes just stuck in my head ever since and I was glad they finally released this nice sci-fi thriller soundtrack.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    King Kong is a DAMN good score, especially the beauty killed the beast variations and no matter how much i love Shore's work, i doubt his rejected score would be in fact better than Newton-Howard's.

Well, that's hard to say without being able to compare them. I suspect that Shore fans might think differently?

p.s. It's just now started the 'Beauty Killed The Beast' variations now! cool
  8. That theme from TAKE A HARD RIDE should get married and have some baby themes! punk