• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008
    Southall wrote
    (Especially given that he didn't do it with the Star Wars prequels.)

Yeah...and that really worked!
    (Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the prequel scores. In fact, I think Revenge Of the Sith has hit exactly the right tone in everything, but I wouldn't call any of it "evolution".
    I can't really see what's "evolved".
    I can find a definite level of deconstruction, but I wouldn't qualify that necessarily as 'evolution'. Leave alone 'good'... rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Some opinions are just wrong!

Which is why I clearly marked Tony's remarks as "fact"and "reality".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I like Minority Report (apart from the sheer amount of bass!). explode
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mmm, I never listened to Minority Report, to be honest, but then I didn't like the film much.
    What's it like?
    Does it have a theme (and DON'T give me that "yeah, he repeats two notes somewhere so that's definitely a theme" crap. You KNOW I'm talking about something akin to a Leia's Theme, a Yoda's Theme or a Raiders March)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008 edited
    There's quite a nice ''theme'' ( biggrin ) in the finale track, but the highlights are ''Everybody Runs'' and ''Anderton's Great Escape'', two awesome action tracks! punk

Edit: ''Spyders'' is also pretty cool. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Meh. <shrug> I've heard enough action tracks. I'm not getting yet another album just for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Indeed it did. Three fabulous scores, one of which (ROTS) is a contender for best score of the Star Wars series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You realize congratulating me on my birthday actually made more sense? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I wish we got re-recordings of the old Indy scores. I know it's just a mixing problem (and I can blame Dan Wallin for the third one), but I just want to hear them played by a big orchestra!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    You kiss tongue

Yer in there Steven biggrin vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I don't like any of those scores either. slant

What do you like!? dizzy

And Anthony...

Answer the ruddy question will you!? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Anthony wrote
    I wish we got re-recordings of the old Indy scores. I know it's just a mixing problem (and I can blame Dan Wallin for the third one), but I just want to hear them played by a big orchestra!

I still hope the re-releases will have a better sound/mixing... is there an official confirmation for them?

Southall wrote
    I love the modern Williams. Did anyone seriously expect him to suddenly ditch 20 years of his own musical evolution and go back to writing in a style he abandoned?

No, not really. But what I dislike a bit is that he re-uses a theme from ROTLA (from Map Room: Dawn) with obviously no connection to the new film (much like the music from ANH and ESB in Episode 3).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

The LSO in 'RAIDERS' not big enough for you? Mayhap you would like it beefed up with some fake Hans Zimmer style augmentation? vomit
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

What do you like!? dizzy

And Anthony...

I like a hell of a lot. Indy, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Minority Report, Star Wars, Hook...to name a few. rolleyes

Timmer wrote

The LSO in 'RAIDERS' not big enough for you? Mayhap you would like it beefed up with some fake Hans Zimmer style augmentation? vomit

Oh quiet, I can't stand Zimmer. But Raiders doesn't sound as BIG as other scores today. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

What do you like!? dizzy

And Anthony...

I like a hell of a lot. Indy, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Minority Report, Star Wars, Hook...to name a few. rolleyes

Timmer wrote

Oh quiet, I can't stand Zimmer. But Raiders doesn't sound as BIG as other scores today. wink

That's either to do with the recording or that so many scores have unnecessary choirs all of which I blame on CARL ORFF wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Orff, Zimmer...it's ALWAYS the ruddy Germans! angry

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Orff, Zimmer...it's ALWAYS the ruddy Germans! angry

biggrin

Innit! beer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    But Raiders doesn't sound as BIG as other scores today. wink

It does to me. A lot bigger, in fact. Last Crusade sounds a bit limp but the other two sound absolutely fine to my ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Indeed it did. Three fabulous scores, one of which (ROTS) is a contender for best score of the Star Wars series.

None... and I mean NONE of the prequel scores come close to the awesomeness of the original trilogy scores. The only one that "sounds" like it might rival any of the original trilogy scores is The Phantom Menace but that's it.

As for the Raiders recording... I think it's fabulous. And I don't know how much bigger you can get then the latter half of "The Desert Chase" or the brilliant "Miracle of the Ark." Eric Tomlinson's recording is spot on... and Lyle Burbridge went one step further with his magnificent recording of Temple of Doom. Now, a re-recording OR complete remix of Last Crusade would be fantastic. The problem that I have with Wallin is that his percussion recording is sooooo weak and he hard pans the strings to the left and right leaving the rest of the orchestra in the middle of the sound field. Most of his recordings are a muddy mess that manages to make a sizable orchestra sound like a small high school band.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Antineutrino wrote
    No, not really. But what I dislike a bit is that he re-uses a theme from ROTLA (from Map Room: Dawn) with obviously no connection to the new film (much like the music from ANH and ESB in Episode 3).

How do you know... have you seen the film?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik, what you said about the size of Raiders - it just had that ''old'' recording quality to it. That's great an all, and I respect the fact you like that, but I really want a re-recording with the full beefiness, bass and crisp quality of todays scores! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik, what you said about the size of Raiders - it just had that ''old'' recording quality to it. That's great an all, and I respect the fact you like that, but I really want a re-recording with the full beefiness, bass and crisp quality of todays scores! smile

I think the recording is even BETTER than most scores recorded today. BTW, what are you listening to your scores on?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

I think the recording is even BETTER than most scores recorded today. BTW, what are you listening to your scores on?

-Erik-

Cotton wool obviously! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A beefy 7.1 system. It's configured fine, so don't get into that! tongue Raiders sounds old! Temple has less of that sound, and Crusade has even less, but most pre-1994 stuff still has that old sound to it! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ditto Steven. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I agree with Erik about the recording quality, but disagree about the Star Wars prequels. I'll take all three of them over Jedi, I think.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Gaah, you all fail and hearing the old sound!!tongue biggrin (but you all know what I mean, whether obvious or not)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've no idea what you mean! This may be because I'm daft.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Then I'm daft too!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It. Sounds. Old.

It's like the difference between hearing a recording, and hearing something live, but bigger! Brass does not sound like what brass sounds like today! It's more ''screechy'', not as ''clear'', and it hurts the ears more when played fairly loud. dizzy

There's also less bass to it, and stuff doesn't sound as crisp. Take a listen to Desert Chase, and then listen to the opening titles of something like Horton Hears A Who. There's a big difference in crispness.