• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2008
    It was a top notch concert for me and I only wish they would do this more often .
    Goosebump moments for me were 1941 - superbly played , I love that march , Jaws (yeah , I was wearing my t-shirt) - just fantastic with a alternate ending that went full blast , Schindler’s List - breathtaking with a brilliant solo , The Patriot - excellent combination of tracks , Saving Private Ryan - played to perfection and all the Star Wars tracks especially Duel of the Fates which was absolutely bloody awesome (pardon the expression) !! One minor remark I have is why use the Raiders March again for an encore ?! Like DreamTheater said , the Superman Theme would've been great while all the film titles slided across the image of the earth .
    Congrats to Dirk Brossé , the Brussels Philharmonic and the choirs for a superb event .
    All I can say is ...

WE WANT MORE !! punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I was about to say "Why has no one commented on Raiders?", but now you mention it, I can't imagine it being such a great way to end a concert any more. It's been played to death!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    It was a top notch concert for me and I only wish they would do this more often .
    Goosebump moments for me were 1941 - superbly played , I love that march , Jaws (yeah , I was wearing my t-shirt) - just fantastic with a alternate ending that went full blast , Schindler’s List - breathtaking with a brilliant solo , The Patriot - excellent combination of tracks , Saving Private Ryan - played to perfection and all the Star Wars tracks especially Duel of the Fates which was absolutely bloody awesome (pardon the expression) !! One minor remark I have is why use the Raiders March again for an encore ?! Like DreamTheater said , the Superman Theme would've been great while all the film titles slided across the image of the earth .
    Congrats to Dirk Brossé , the Brussels Philharmonic and the choirs for a superb event .
    All I can say is ...

WE WANT MORE !! punk

A Superman encore would be better IMO but regardless, it sounds like it was an awesome night of music. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I think the Indiana Jones theme needs to be played once during the concert though...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    I think the Indiana Jones theme needs to be played once during the concert though...

Oh yeah, without a doubt! I'd be very disappointed otherwise.

I've actually seen a Williams concert without the Indy theme being played....and it was John Williams conducting!! shocked wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    I agree, it was a wonderful concert evening.

Minor quibbles were the 'ok' sound, because the concert hall isn't really a concert hall, but a velodrome in dissguise. Also it was kinda repetitive how a lot of tracks seemed to end with a bang - so the audience would know when to clap, then there where some small technical problems, like how the spotlights lighted up the filmscreen, and the high level of working class in the crowd. I also preferred the Aunt Marges Walz from Prisoner of Azkaban, of which footage was shown, instead of the night bus. And where the hell was Jurassic Park???????????? Insanely missed on such a night! Probably my all time favourite John Williams theme.

All those things are nothing compared to the really good stuff ofcourse: the solo's, starting with the moving violin theme from Schindler’s List, the music from The Patriot and the choir falling in for Hymn of the Fallen and Battle of the Heroes. And the wonderful love-theme 'Across the Stars' (although it might have been doubled in lenght) were all absolute highlights for me. The Patriot being so enjoyable was a big suprise, because I never had a good listen to that score before. The selection of old and new stuff, well known pieces and the more obscure films was nice too.

& I never realised theres so much piano in Williams' scores too. When you see his music live, it shows that he really likes to use the full orchestral pallette to paint his music.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

I've actually seen a Williams concert without the Indy theme being played....and it was John Williams conducting!! shocked wink

I'm all up for hearing Indy, but not just the march! I want a great piece of music like The Basket Game or Indy's Very First Adventure!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

I'm all up for hearing Indy, but not just the march! I want a great piece of music like The Basket Game or Indy's Very First Adventure!

as long as there is something Indy in there I'd be happy
  1. Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

Exactly! Or the Miracle of the Ark, or the Map Room, those could've gotten concert arrangements too... the March is just overplayed I mean its played in full many times during all scores, so there's no shortage of it. But the other themes? Sorely missed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Or the Grail theme. Miracle of the Ark as a concert piece would be something quite amusing, due to Williams referring to some avant-garde techniques in the piece, which in concerts collecting thematic material might be a disappointing experience (mind you, those concerts have often somewhat "pop" character), I'd rather choose Ark Trek.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Hearing a live orchestra play the score to raiders, or any Indy score for that matter, what an experience that would be. smile
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Or the Grail theme. Miracle of the Ark as a concert piece would be something quite amusing, due to Williams referring to some avant-garde techniques in the piece, which in concerts collecting thematic material might be a disappointing experience (mind you, those concerts have often somewhat "pop" character), I'd rather choose Ark Trek.

Yeah I guess you're right, I mean something with The Ark theme in it would do.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

Exactly! Or the Miracle of the Ark, or the Map Room, those could've gotten concert arrangements too... the March is just overplayed I mean its played in full many times during all scores, so there's no shortage of it. But the other themes? Sorely missed.

Just to be clear, John Williams hadn't written 'Raiders' when I saw him. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    new ending

PFAH! PTUIH!
    How you grow so happy listening to foolishness of this kind?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

In fact, he was still the band leader for Frankie Laine, weren't he? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

And at that point I wasn't even born! tongue

You're old man, you're old. shame wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Or the Grail theme. Miracle of the Ark as a concert piece would be something quite amusing, due to Williams referring to some avant-garde techniques in the piece, which in concerts collecting thematic material might be a disappointing experience (mind you, those concerts have often somewhat "pop" character), I'd rather choose Ark Trek.

I'd rather have heard Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, myself, but I agree, it'd be nice to hear something beyond the main march we've all heard too many times. Same for Star Wars and Superman.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. Timon wrote
    & I never realised theres so much piano in Williams' scores too. When you see his music live, it shows that he really likes to use the full orchestral pallette to paint his music.

indeed, I was sitting right in front of the woman who was playing the piano, and she had a lot to do, even if you barely could hear it during all those brassy affaires
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

And at that point I wasn't even born! tongue

You're old man, you're old. shame wink

Aye that I am, but I've seen John Williams and I've met John Williams and you haven't seen or met John Williams!!! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

YEAP!!!

He mentioned something about playing piano for some guy called "Hank" too. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Aye that I am, but I've seen John Williams and I've met John Williams and you haven't seen or met John Williams!!! tongue

biggrin

(cry)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

(cry)

There there lad wave <--pats back in consoling way

In all seriousness I so hope he returns for a UK concert one day, we'll ALL see it and afterwords we'll ALL make merry biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Does anybody know if the event was recorded or were the cameras only there for the live screen ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I'd rather have heard Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, myself, but I agree, it'd be nice to hear something beyond the main march we've all heard too many times. Same for Star Wars and Superman.

Here's the thing... what about those people that have NEVER heard the Raiders March live? For all the years I've been involved in film music I've only experienced it live once. I tell ya, as much as I would love to hear all the other pieces discussed in this thread live there still is NOTHING better than hearing the Raiders March. It's a crowd favorite, a toe tapping joyful piece that bring people to their feet. That's what I want to hear when I go to a concert.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Eric wrote
    Does anybody know if the event was recorded or were the cameras only there for the live screen ?

I thought Bregt said to me that it would appear on Television (Canvas) later on, don't know when though but I expect it to air then around christmas (like this did with the WSA's of last year on the radio)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote

I thought Bregt said to me that it would appear on Television (Canvas) later on, don't know when though but I expect it to air then around christmas (like this did with the WSA's of last year on the radio)

That's good news , THX Thomas . Looking forward to it already ... smile
  6. Eric wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote

That's good news , THX Thomas . Looking forward to it already ... smile

indeed, that I'll make my own special DVD off tongue
    with art work and everything biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

YEAP!!!
    He mentioned something about playing piano for some guy called "Hank" too. wink

lol

Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    I'd rather have heard Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, myself,

I tell ya, as much as I would love to hear all the other pieces discussed in this thread live there still is NOTHING better than hearing the Raiders March. It's a crowd favorite, a toe tapping joyful piece that bring people to their feet. That's what I want to hear when I go to a concert.

Word, WORD, WORD to Erik.
    Dearly though I love Williams' scherzos, there are some pieces to placate the fans, and then there are some pieces that will bring the house down every time.
    The Raiders March and The Imperial March are Williams' "In The Mood", "Louie Louie" and "Radetzky March". There's just no way around it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    I'd rather have heard Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, myself,

I tell ya, as much as I would love to hear all the other pieces discussed in this thread live there still is NOTHING better than hearing the Raiders March. It's a crowd favorite, a toe tapping joyful piece that bring people to their feet. That's what I want to hear when I go to a concert.

Word, WORD, WORD to Erik.
    Dearly though I love Williams' scherzos, there are some pieces to placate the fans, and then there are some pieces that will bring the house down every time.
    The Raiders March and The Imperial March are Williams' "In The Mood", "Louie Louie" and "Radetzky March". There's just no way around it!

I can't argue that the March is and will always remain a crowd favourite, guaranteed to bring down the house much in favour of all these other tracks that were mentioned.

But I still maintain my own personal position. I've never heard the Raiders march performed live, either, and still I'd prefer hearing the "Motorcycle Scherzo". That piece has that much personal importance for me. Same with the fact that I would wet my pants hearing "The Asteroid Field" live, whereas the "Star Wars main theme" or the "Imperial March" would probably only make me mildly giddy. It's yet another one of those moments where what the audience wants and what I want diverge.

...although I have to admit that hearing "Duel of the Fates" live that one time in Baltimore was pretty friufhsjkfgskjfgdfgsdfs awesome. shame
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me