• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I don´t know whether this one has been posted or not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk5_OSsawz4
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Then Luke and Leia's Theme should remind you of "Aurelia's Theme" from The Madwoman Of Chaillot. Trust me, that's far more distracting.
    -Erik-

Someone other than me is a Michael J. Lewis fan?!?? No way!!! High five, Erik! 'tis true, both themes do sound similar but it just makes me snicker more than anything.

Steven wrote
    Luke kicking Vader's ass is classic cinema, an absolute perfect scene that nothing in the prequels even came close to. And guess what? NO CGI.

Perhaps that's because CGI stands for "Common Gateway Interface" and is a programming technique for developing Internet webpages, whereas plain old "CG" stands for "Computer Graphics."

But agree, that scene is overwhelming with its beauty. The prequels may indeed have nothing that can compare to it, but I think the addition of the prequels to the saga has now only made that scene all the more poignant.

I too prefer Empire to Jedi, but it's a really close race. The Battle of Hoth and the Asteroid Field will always remain clinching factors for me.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote

Steven wrote
    Luke kicking Vader's ass is classic cinema, an absolute perfect scene that nothing in the prequels even came close to. And guess what? NO CGI.

Perhaps that's because CGI stands for "Common Gateway Interface" and is a programming technique for developing Internet webpages, whereas plain old "CG" stands for "Computer Graphics."

Computer Generated Image/s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Computer Generated Image/s.

Hey!! That works too! cheesy
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    HOW TO STEAL A MILLION/BACHELOR FLAT
    Composed and Conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 83

Intrada's latest release from the archives of 20th Century Fox presents two early scores by John (then "Johnny") Williams. First up is the 1966 art museum caper How to Steal a Million, which Williams considers his first major motion picture score. How to Steal a Million was directed by three-time Oscar-winner William Wyler and starred Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn plays Nicole Bonnet, whose father (Hugh Griffith) is known to the world as a preeminent art collector, but actually is a second-generation forger of works by the great masters. After Bonnet's "Cellini Venus" sculpture is loaned out for a museum exhibit, Nicole finds Simon Dermott (O'Toole) burglarizing their Paris mansion. Not wanting to risk the forgeries being discovered, she lets him go. When it is determined that the Venus needs to undergo an authenticity test, Nicole convinces Simon to help steal it back before they are discovered...not knowing that Simon is actually an art expert and detective in disguise hired to determine if her father is a forger. The score to How to Steal a Million, features a rich main title in what Williams called a "French Boulevard piece" with a "Gallic flavor." The varied score also features a love theme, a can-can, a march, a fanfare...all woven into this colorful score that is a true Williams' comedy classic.

Bachelor Flat is the second score featured and revolves around Bruce Patterson (Terry Thomas), an archeaology professor teaching at a California university, who is constantly thwarting advances by female students attracted to his "Englishness." Shortly before wedding an American fashion designer (Celeste Holm), he is accosted by a teenager (Tuesday Weld) who turns out to be his fiancee's daughter from a previous marriage, and madness ensues. Despite being an early Williams' effort, the score shows Williams' style in full form and features several charming themes. The film featured several lengthy scenes with no dialog, calling for Williams' music to carry the scenes with careful integration of on screen action and music. A particular standout is the cue "Mambone," written for a clever sequence involving a dog on the beach, which was reworked as the film's trailer music.

This 2-CD set premieres the original 20th Century Fox LP re-recording of How to Steal a Million on Disc 1, remastered in a sparkling stereo presentation. Disc 2 features the surviving original film tracks to How To Steal a Million as well as the original recording of William's music to Bachelor Flat. All in stereo from the original elements from the Fox vaults.

This release is limited to 2500 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 83
    Retail Price: 19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5974/.f

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    Holy Hallucinations, Batman! I think I ordered the Williams just 20 seconds after I saw this announcement.

BACHELOR FLAT is previously unreleased (except for "Tuesday's Theme") and has been on my want list for a long time. I've had HTSAM as a great LP-to-CD transfer for quite a few years now. It's been great, but I've always said that I will replace that CD-R with a legitimate, commercial CD once it gets released.

But I'm curious: Where is "Tuesday's Theme" on BACHELOR FLAT? Has it been renamed to something else?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    Thought I'd share this with you all.

Here is the extended 4 minute and 30 second trailer to NIXON which featured original trailer music written by John Williams. Stunning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2LWKpeyI8

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    This seems like such a good movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. NIXON was a good film, I think. It may not have been as hard on its main character as it could have been, but it still had a lot to say.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7779011.stm

shocked

STAR WARS CONCERT?! LONDON?! JOHN WILLIAMS!?!!?! shocked punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7779011.stm

shocked

STAR WARS CONCERT?! LONDON?! JOHN WILLIAMS!?!!?! shocked punk

Sounds good. And I´ve never gone to London lick
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    What?
    WHAT?

shocked

Holy SITH!

I'm making this a sticky!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    Sounds nice, but there's no word on Williams himself participating in the premiere. From experience, I would guess he simply doesn't do concerts outside the US anymore.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yes, that's what he said before Ghent.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    Snob.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Snob.

I guess that's aimed at all the other composers who don't do concerts outside of the states as well.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Quiet you! All you have to do is hop the border and you're in Williams territory. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    There's not an excuse for any well-known composer, especially of this magnitude, who refuses to perform / conduct or be present at a concert outside the US, despite having everything paid, arranged and of course on a big fat paycheck. The experience is mind-blowing and beneficial for everyone involved, i can tell you this from my personal experience as part of the Soncinemad organizing committee. If you can provide the slightest logical explanation for this and for a person who is NOT an ignorant, narrow-minded dude who thinks that world ends outside US borders, then i am all ears to hear it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    There's not an excuse for any well-known composer, especially of this magnitude, who refuses to perform / conduct or be present at a concert outside the US, despite having everything paid, arranged and of course on a big fat paycheck. The experience is mind-blowing and beneficial for everyone involved, i can tell you this from my personal experience as part of the Soncinemad organizing committee. If you can provide the slightest logical explanation for this and for a person who is NOT an ignorant, narrow-minded dude who thinks that world ends outside US borders, then i am all ears to hear it.

Well, maybe the composer is extremely tired, exhausted and mentally and creatively drained from writing music that a long trip over seas isn't something the composer wants to do. Maybe that said composer just wants some time off from writing, conducting and/or performing music. There is no set rule that said a film composer must conduct their music all over the world. Also, the long trip over seas might not be something the composer WANTS to do. I have no problem with that.

I can't remember the last time a major film composer has come to Canada to conduct a concert. Actually, Bill Conti came to Kitchener/Walerloo earlier in the month... but I don't consider him an A-list composer anymore. Sure, it sucks that the likes of Williams hasn't come to Canada to conduct a concert but you won't see me throwing a temper tantrum over it. I mean, I went to a Star Wars concert a few years ago conducted by Erich Kunzel. Sure, would have been great if Williams would have conducted the music himself but the concert wasn't about seeing Williams conduct - it was about the music and the music sounded great - Williams conducting or not.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008 edited
    Indeed; i am not saying it couldn't be true, at least about John Williams in specific, but i am sure it happens on general lines, with some other composers too. I too have experienced a couple of bad cases of arrogance too when working with Soncinemad; not talking about John Williams here.

But he's still pretty active isn't he? Concert-wise and film music-wise; the least he could do to honor the hordes of people praising him (Rightfully so, indeed) is to at least try and attend an event on on his name, one of his most important works ever and of such magnitude?

It'd surely be nice if more people started to recognize the rest of the world's contribution to their money, name and fame as well as the US though; there's PEOPLE outside the US? There's..stuff outside the U.S? Aren't they all terrrsts? You know; stuff like that biggrin

Anyway, i have made it as a personal rule not to attend any major and expensive concerts where the composer (if living of course wink ) doesn't attend. I am sure for most people it's not like that though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anyway, i have made it as a personal rule not to attend any major and expensive concerts where the composer (if living of course wink ) doesn't attend. I am sure for most people it's not like that though.

That's just plain ass silly... but that's your preference. I'll tell ya something right now, Kunzel's Star Wars concert was conducted ten thousand times better than Williams' Skywalker Symphony album. Even the composers themselves can't conducted their own music properly. I mean, if Morgan and Stromberg came to town to conduct some more recent film music you wouldn't go?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If it was a health issue, I would understand completely. But from what I gather, Williams is in excellent health and has a busy schedule in the US (performing, writing etc.). Why not cut down a little bit of that activity for a month or two and then spend two weeks in a European city instead? I don't know....I just find it odd and hasn't really seen a reasonable explanation from him yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    If it was a health issue, I would understand completely. But from what I gather, Williams is in excellent health and has a busy schedule in the US (performing, writing etc.). Why not cut down a little bit of that activity for a month or two and then spend two weeks in a European city instead? I don't know....I just find it odd and hasn't really seen a reasonable explanation from him yet.

He's done concerts here in the past, he loves the venues and the people so what gives???

Without Williams actually being at the concert my main reason to go would be to meet up with all my friends here.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    According to the New York Times blog, Williams is composing a piece for Obama's inaugural ceremony:

"John Williams, the composer whose music was heard at Mr. Obama’s victory party on election night in Grant Park, will compose a new piece to be played for the incoming president.

His new piece will be played by Mr. Perlman on violin, Mr. Ma on cello, Gabriela Montero on piano and Anthony McGill on clarinet. (Usually at this juncture in previous inaugurations an operatic soloist performs.)"

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008 … -ceremony/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    Yeah, heard that over at FSM. Great news! I hope he gets to record and release it some day. His "Fanfare for Michael Dukakis" never did.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. That's a good Democrat biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Maybe Williams doesn't need the money to go on a long ass flight to some event in Europe? The dude has the right to do what he wishes. It has nothing to do with the world's borders "ending around the US". But the majority of his films were American productions, which shouldn't be ignored. Williams is pretty much retired and should be able to do what he wishes with his time---it's not like he tours all of America's symphonies---he does the occasional concerts in Boston where he used to be an employee. That's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tjguitar wrote
    Maybe Williams doesn't need the money to go on a long ass flight to some event in Europe? The dude has the right to do what he wishes. It has nothing to do with the world's borders "ending around the US". But the majority of his films were American productions, which shouldn't be ignored. Williams is pretty much retired and should be able to do what he wishes with his time---it's not like he tours all of America's symphonies---he does the occasional concerts in Boston where he used to be an employee. That's it.

I bet he took long-ass journeys to Europe dozens of times before, for other reasons; and with today's standards, nothing is "long-ass". Within a day, you're everywhere you wish. The least you can do to pay the slightest of honorary thanks to a large part of the people that elevated you to God status, is to pay them a visit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    tjguitar wrote

I bet he took long-ass journeys to Europe dozens of times before, for other reasons; and with today's standards, nothing is "long-ass". Within a day, you're everywhere you wish. The least you can do to pay the slightest of honorary thanks to a large part of the people that elevated you to God status, is to pay them a visit.

Once upon a time this is exactly what he did, flying in and out of London regularly to record scores and even giving the odd concert here and there but as much as I'd love him to come and do a concert again ( please please PLEASE!!! ) the man has given his all for our pleasure and has more than earned the right to take it easy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Christodoulides wrote
    tjguitar wrote

What do you mean by other reasons? He recorded music there for his job. I'm sure he got to do plenty of tourism during those trips too. Is there a large continent of Williams fans in Europe? Anywhere near the amount in America? Beats me, but like I said, the dude does an odd concert in Boston and even rarer concert in Los Angeles, it's not like he's touring the whole country, it's not like all his American fans have a chance to see him. You make it seem like he's neglecting a big segment while catering to everyone else, when that is not the case.