• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2012
    Scribe wrote
    Beyond Rangoon?

A monotonous sakuhachi flute is ability to write woodwinds well?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Talking about STAR WARS somehow feel inclined to mention:

1. I like Ewoks.
    2. "Jedi" is a far better film than "Empire". The same goes for the scores.
    3. I never had any issues with the Special Editions whatsoever. Quite to the contrary.
    4. To a certain extend I can even tolerate Jar-Jar.
    5. 90% of of this so called "Prequel Bashing" is nonsens caught up in a self referencing loop. The main arguments might as well be applied to the original films if you take away nostalgia blindness.
    6. The prequels are a stunning success. Lucas achieved the same with the young generation that he did back around 1980. My male students are huge STAR WARS fans. 80% of that is due to the prequels.
    7. Michael Giacchino can't compose melodies. In his hole live he hasn't composed one single melody half as memorable than any of the major STAR WARS themes. Get David Arnold or Joel McNeely!

Anyway, and this comes from someone who has a SW post hanging on the wall of his living room: This is entertainment and no ersatz-religion. So everybody calm down, will you?

So, I am an Ewok-loving odd-ball! dizzy

May the Force be with us all! cool
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2012 edited
    Flippin' eck Captain! shocked biggrin

1. I don't mind Ewoks
    2. Empire is a better film than Jedi but nothing in any of the Star Wars films beats Luke-Vader-Emperor showdown followed by Vader's heroic death. Empire is the best of ALL the Star Wars scores.
    3. Hmmmm?
    4. I CANNOT tolerate Jar-Jar
    5. The prequals aren't great but I can enjoy them
    6. Haven't noticed anything like that here but that doesn't mean it hasn't.
    7. Giacchino, Arnold and McNeely combined cannot wear John Williams shoes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Beyond Rangoon?

A monotonous sakuhachi flute is ability to write woodwinds well?

Where the hell is a shakuhachi flute anywhere in Beyond Rangoon?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is D thinking of Beyond Borders?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Hans hasn't scored Beyond Borders though. But Beyond Rangoon is nowhere near a solo shakuhachi...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know that ( it's Horner ), I just wondered if D confused it? As it is I can't remember if Horner uses a Shakuhachi in Beyond Borders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2012 edited
    Captain Future wrote:
    1. I like Ewoks.

They're alright.

Well, that's your opinion...

3. I never had any issues with the Special Editions whatsoever. Quite to the contrary.

Fair enough... I guess...

You have the patience of a saint.

5. 90% of of this so called "Prequel Bashing" is nonsens caught up in a self referencing loop. The main arguments might as well be applied to the original films if you take away nostalgia blindness.

To some extent I can see where you're coming from. But the prequels are bad films, and they won't stand the test of time that the originals have. They just won't. Kids might like them now, and they'll no doubt feel nostalgic towards them when they grow up, but will they be remembered so fondly as the originals are now I wonder? I doubt it.

6. The prequels are a stunning success. Lucas achieved the same with the young generation that he did back around 1980. My male students are huge STAR WARS fans. 80% of that is due to the prequels.

They're successful as children's films, but children are stupid. They like them because stuff happens with cool space lasers and shit. That's it. There's no deep connection to the characters, no real magical moments, just shit happening on the screen that appeals to kids because some cool stuff happens. The originals have lots of that, but they also have heart. The prequels sorely lack that, and it shows in every CGI, green-screened shot.

7. Michael Giacchino can't compose melodies. In his hole live he hasn't composed one single melody half as memorable than any of the major STAR WARS themes. Get David Arnold or Joel McNeely!

McNeely, yes! But Giacchino can't compose melodies? Bullshit! Have you even heard The Incredibles or Ratatouille? If you have, then your opinion is flat out wrong!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, along with McNeely, my vote goes to Mark Griskey. He's already proved he's right for the job with his Force Unleashed scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    But Giacchino can't compose melodies? Bullshit! Have you even heard The Incredibles or Ratatouille? If you have, then your opinion is flat out wrong!

yeah

Flat out wrong indeed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Steven, contrary to what you think, children are not stupid...
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012
    McNeely, yes! But Giacchino can't compose melodies? Bullshit! Have you even heard The Incredibles or Ratatouille? If you have, then your opinion is flat out wrong!

And Medal of Honor... and John Carter...

I think a more valid complaint is that while his melodies are memorable, his harmonic constructs to back them are sometimes too simple (especially in Lost). That's just a matter of taste, though.

Hey, all! I've been lurking here for a while and decided that I spend enough time reading posts that I might as well just join the fun. wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    I know that ( it's Horner ), I just wondered if D confused it? As it is I can't remember if Horner uses a Shakuhachi in Beyond Borders.

Yes, he does. He couldn't resist, with it being a multicultural movie.
  6. Also, for what it's worth, I agree with Captain. The prequels are not nearly as awful as people say. I actually liked Revenge of the Sith a lot.
  7. Well, thanks for your replies! wave
    Sometimes it just irks me to annoy everybody with my view of STAR WARS. wink

Giacchino:
    It seems I really need to get my hands on the "Ratatouille" score. "Medal of Honor" is a game score, right? Not my departement, sorry for my ignorance. Did it have a physical release? (I don't download ...).
    Actually I liked "John Carter", but I was a bit disapointed by "Super 8" and "Star Trek". Not that I think they are bad alltogether, just lacking in terms of memorable melodies. "John Carter of Mars": Great ambient elements, great orchestration all around, the "John Carter of Mars" track a real stunner. Sadly the temp track shows too much, but maybe that's to blame to the producers.

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    From that poor article, only Giacchino is indeed a plausible choice. The man CAN write for all the instruments of the orchestra and also compose great melodies. But Spielberg, please. Not Zimmer for fuck's sake.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Captain Future wrote
    "Medal of Honor" is a game score, right? Not my departement, sorry for my ignorance. Did it have a physical release? (I don't download ...).

Then you're missing out on one of the best scores of the past twenty years!

It's had two CD releases: http://michaelgiacchinomusic.com/soundtracks/moh.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Or get the MOH Box Set (8 CDs) for about 20$ more:
    http://www.lalalandrecords.com/MOH.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Talking about STAR WARS somehow feel inclined to mention:

1. I like Ewoks.

Anyway, and this comes from someone who has a SW post hanging on the wall of his living room: This is entertainment and no ersatz-religion. So everybody calm down, will you?

So, I am an Ewok-loving odd-ball! dizzy

May the Force be with us all! cool
    Volker

Actually, I agree with ALL of your points!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Listening to RISE OF THE GUARDIANS once again, yeap, it's between Desplat or Giacchino. Any other selection would be not so wise i think wink.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Listening to RISE OF THE GUARDIANS once again, yeap, it's between Desplat or Giacchino. Any other selection would be not so wise i think wink.

He, he....I don't like any of those, and if they went for either it would be a massive disappointment. Still, you never know.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Another problem with Giacchino is that when he tries to write music for love scenes it will inevitably sound exactly like Lost and jarringly take you out of the moment, just like the opening for Star Trek; while its an excellent scene, the music is so reminiscent of Lost that it's almost funny, like a parody.

I do not want that for Star Wars.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Again, Star Wars has an already established musical language that if Giacchino does get the job he will most definitely honour that sound. And he can write sweeping love themes. Go back to Secret Weapons Over Normandy to find one of his best!

-Erik-

BTW, Kirk's birth in Star Trek was the highlight for me in that score!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski:
    Steven, contrary to what you think, children are not stupid...

Kids can be smart, and can notice things, sure. But generally, if you show them cool shit happening on screen, they'll like it, no matter how retarded it is. Hence lots of kids liking the prequels. Because those films are buttfucking retarded.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski:
    Steven, contrary to what you think, children are not stupid...

Kids can be smart, and can notice things, sure. But generally, if you show them cool shit happening on screen, they'll like it, no matter how retarded it is. Hence lots of kids liking the prequels. Because those films are buttfucking retarded.

Most of them, yeah, I agree with you. I will also point out that there are a LOT of fuck witted retarded parents out there too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Again, Star Wars has an already established musical language that if Giacchino does get the job he will most definitely honour that sound. And he can write sweeping love themes. Go back to Secret Weapons Over Normandy to find one of his best!

-Erik-

BTW, Kirk's birth in Star Trek was the highlight for me in that score!

Word on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But half of Giacchino's scores are already homages to other composers and films (Star Trek, MoH scores, Incredibles, ...) Should he do another one? I hope he doesn't become the composer doing that forever.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I like the prequel trilogy; I'm painfully aware of their many flaws but I enjoy them nonetheless. I guess I'm retarded.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    I like the prequel trilogy; I'm painfully aware of their many flaws but I enjoy them nonetheless. I guess I'm retarded.

Guess I'm retarded too. There are LOTS of things to like about the prequels.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Guess I'm retarded too..

Finally, he admits it!

-Erik-