• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013
    Steven wrote
    It's not unheard of that a composer takes the reigns from Williams and produces something equally worthy (Desplat).

I am one of the biggest fans of Desplat's HP scores but even I wouldn't suggest that they are worthy to be compared to Williams'.

I promise I will try to attend your funeral though.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013 edited
    I am perfectly in favour of Williams handing over the reins.
    It'll serve all the better to distinguish between Star Wars and "that Disney thing they did a few decades later").

That said, I'm far more excited about what Abrams will come up with than anything Clone War related, prequels, games or cartoons.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's not unheard of that a composer takes the reigns from Williams and produces something equally worthy (Desplat).

I am one of the biggest fans of Desplat's HP scores but even I wouldn't suggest that they are worthy to be compared to Williams'.

Really? I think they are. Just because it's Williams doesn't mean they can't be compared to. Although Azkaban has some of the best pieces written for all the films, and some quite dramatic pieces in their own right, Desplat's scores on the whole serve as the most dramatic of all the Potter scores and give exactly what the last two films needed. I think Desplat delivered and then some!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013 edited
    I don't think what Desplat did is anywhere near as good as what Williams could have done, especially in the more emotional scenes where Desplat's music mostly falls flat. Lily's theme is nice but IMO not what the film needed, sounds too Zimmer-ish, I wanted something more classically haunting like a return of the Window To The Past (which would have fit perfectly in a leitmotif sense!) but with darker harmonics reminiscent of Munich or the better parts of Revenge of the Sith. Especially for the grand finale, which I think Desplat completely ruined, the last 15 minutes of the final film should have been an awesome orgy of all the best musical elements of the series, instead we get some generic subdued action music that makes me feel like we're just going through the motions because everyone's sick of this franchise already.

And again, I like Desplat's HP scores a lot, especially the first 2/3 of Part 2, where his Zimmer-ish ostinatos are awesomely energetic and drama-enhancing...its just that in the end he fails to create the same kind of deep, heartwrenching emotion that Williams can do.
  1. Scribe wrote
    I don't think what Desplat did is anywhere near as good as what Williams could have done, especially in the more emotional scenes where Desplat's music mostly falls flat. Lily's theme is nice but IMO not what the film needed, sounds too Zimmer-ish, I wanted something more classically haunting like a return of the Window To The Past (which would have fit perfectly in a leitmotif sense!) but with darker harmonics reminiscent of Munich or the better parts of Revenge of the Sith. Especially for the grand finale, which I think Desplat completely ruined, the last 15 minutes of the final film should have been an awesome orgy of all the best musical elements of the series, instead we get some generic subdued action music that makes me feel like we're just going through the motions because everyone's sick of this franchise already.

And again, I like Desplat's HP scores a lot, especially the first 2/3 of Part 2, where his Zimmer-ish ostinatos are awesomely energetic and drama-enhancing...its just that in the end he fails to create the same kind of deep, heartwrenching emotion that Williams can do.

I have to agree. I find much of the Desplat and Hooper HP scores to be quite pleasant, some of it quite beautiful, and some of it appropriately thrilling, but overall there's just a dramatic inertia that I think really fails the key emotional moments in the series. It's not even so much that they did or didn't match up with the Williams scores because the last five films are so much different than the first three. I suppose AZKABAN came closest to the solemn tone of the later films, and of course it's IMHO the best score in the series, but I also think Doyle really hit it out of the park with GOBLET OF FIRE. So for me it's not necessarily that I wish Williams had scored the final film(s), but that I wish the final film(s) had gotten better scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    This is fantastic news! Really hope that Williams will return. And I'm a huge Giacchino fan, so would have loved a Giacchino Star Wars score, but Star Wars just wouldn't be the same without Williams' music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How odd. I find Desplat's scores have ample emotional punch. I certainly would never have associated Zimmer with Desplat's music for those films either! dizzy

It goes without saying I'd love to have heard Williams' take on the last two films, but I do think Desplat delivered. (And he was smart enough to end on Williams' music.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013
    Desplat and Hooper's contributions do absolutely nothing for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    I certainly would never have associated Zimmer with Desplat's music for those films either! dizzy

Come on...the middle section of Deathly Hallows 2 during the Battle for Hogwarts is exactly like an RC score. Desplat does it much more cleanly and pleasantly than someone like Djawadi or Orvarsson would have done, but its all very Batman/Bourne ostinato-ish temp track love. Which happens to work BRILLIANTLY in marriage to the picture, but it ain't no Duel of the Fates. It could have been another Duel of the Fates if it were Williams.
  2. Scribe wrote
    It could have been another Duel of the Fates if it were Williams.

I daresay it only could have been if David Yates had wanted it to be. And then anybody could have done it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Come on...the middle section of Deathly Hallows 2 during the Battle for Hogwarts is exactly like an RC score. Desplat does it much more cleanly and pleasantly than someone like Djawadi or Orvarsson would have done, but its all very Batman/Bourne ostinato-ish temp track love. Which happens to work BRILLIANTLY in marriage to the picture, but it ain't no Duel of the Fates. It could have been another Duel of the Fates if it were Williams.

On the other hand, do we really want to hear a Williams score where he's been ordered to emulate the RC sound?
  3. Josh B wrote

On the other hand, do we really want to hear a Williams score where he's been ordered to emulate the RC sound?

I don't think you can order JW to do anything. Either producers are happy with the way Williams does things or he won't accept the deal. I don't think he needs the money any more.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote
    It could have been another Duel of the Fates if it were Williams.

I daresay it only could have been if David Yates had wanted it to be. And then anybody could have done it.

But sometimes it takes a composer stepping up and getting through the director's thick skull by saying, here, look what I wrote, isn't this better than your electronic crap? Isn't this pure magic?

Of course for most younger composers that would probably be bad for their careers, but Williams can do whatever the heck he wants!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013 edited
    Coming Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 1 pm pst:

THE FURY – 2 CD SET
    MUSIC BY JOHN WILLIAMS
    LIMITED EDITION OF 3500 UNITS
    RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

THE FURY

FILM SCORE REISSUE PRODUCED BY NICK REDMAN AND MIKE MATESSINO
    SOUNDTRACK ALBUM REISSUE PRODUCED SOR SONY MUSIC BY DIDIER C. DEUTSCH
    FILM SCORE REISSUE MASTERED BY DAN HERSCH AT D2 MASTERING
    SOUNDTRACK ALBUM MASTERED BY TIM STURGES AT BATTERY STUDIOS
    LINER NOTES BY JULIE KIRGO
    ART DIRECTION BY JIM TITUS

La-La Land Records, 20th Century Fox and Sony Music are proud to present one of John Williams finest scores ever – 1979’s THE FURY, directed by Brian DePalma and starring Kirk Douglas and Amy Irving. With a running time of 1:54:00, this new and improved 2 disc set features stunning sound (especially on Disc 2, the original soundtrack album), detailed liner notes by Julie Kirgo and art direction by Jim Titus. A definite upgrade in ALL departments from the previous Varese release, this fantastic score should be on the shelf of any soundtrack fan.

Also, be sure to pick up the new BLU RAY of THE FURY at http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … PRE-ORDER/

A MUST HAVE for anyone who doesn't have it/missed it last time around.

...and may I be the first to congratulate Mr Southall without whom this asteroid created time anomally would not have been possible.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013
    That's excellent news!
    I *did* miss it the first time around (and got hold of a VERY dodgy Russian copy instead...).
    So very happy to retire that one and get the proper release!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. I
    Timmer wrote

A MUST HAVE for anyone who doesn't have it/missed it last time around.

I own the Varese edition, but I have not ripped it to my PC so I will have to wait for the weekend to listen to it again and decide wether it merrits a renewed investment.

Thanks for the heads-up Tim!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was actually more than content with the old Varese release, but then a fellow fan gave me the expanded 2CD set as a gift. I couldn't refuse, but after some listen-throughs, I realized I really only liked the original program anyway, so that's the one I keep playing (CD 1 of that set).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Really excited about this, missed out on the Varese and always hoped for a reissue. Thrilled that the original album recording is still included.
  7. Timmer wroteA MUST HAVE for anyone who doesn't have it/missed it last time around.

Me me me!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    Timmer wroteA MUST HAVE for anyone who doesn't have it/missed it last time around.

Me me me!!!!

punk beer <--and everyone else who thinks the same smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I was actually more than content with the old Varese release, but then a fellow fan gave me the expanded 2CD set as a gift. I couldn't refuse, but after some listen-throughs, I realized I really only liked the original program anyway, so that's the one I keep playing (CD 1 of that set).

I mostly agree with you Thor, the rerecorded original album is a fantastic play and that's the one I go for...mostly, however it's a delight to have the original tracks too with some lovely pieces not formerly available, there are times where I enjoy playing it.
  8. Over at FSM somebody pointed out 18 minutes of score, and MV had this comment on the set:

This is certainly worth the rebuy. The sound on disc 2 is beyond amazing. After listening to what Tim andd Didier at Sony did, Mike Matessino sent them an email stating he never thought the score could sound so amazing.

MV
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    La-La Land just posted on FB they will release a 2 CD set of The Fury! Excellent news.

THE FURY – 2 CD SET
    MUSIC BY JOHN WILLIAMS
  9. francis wrote
    La-La Land just posted on FB they will release a 2 CD set of The Fury! Excellent news.

THE FURY – 2 CD SET
    MUSIC BY JOHN WILLIAMS

Does somebody else want to tell francis? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Who's this Williams person everyone keeps going on about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013
    I don't know but if he does happen to have any fans then they may be interested in some news I just received. Williams himself took out not one but SEVENTY NINE full page adverts in today's New York Times, all of which said "La-La Land Records will shortly be releasing a double CD edition of my score for The Fury."

Meanwhile, the president of the United States himself, Barack Obama, cancelled all his engagements and convened a special session of Congress at which he said "La-La Land Records will shortly be releasing a double CD edition of John Williams's score for The Fury."

In an incredible turn of events, the former Secretary General of the United Nations, Boutros-Boutros Ghali, appeared on a series of giant screens that had been installed in the central square of every single town in South America with a population greater than 100. His announcement was simple - "La-La Land Records will shortly be releasing a double CD edition of John Williams's score for The Fury."

Scientists at NASA formulated a special beam that was directed in such a way that it blasted several asteroids into small pieces. These pieces were each infused with a special magnetic charge that made them appear in the sky and formulate the phrase "La-La Land Records will shortly be releasing a double CD edition of John Williams's score for The Fury." This was then moved through the sky all around the world until it had been seen by every man, woman and child currently alive.

Over at maintitles.net, Justin Boggan was overheard saying that he did not consider that any release of The Fury had been confirmed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Breaking news. For those that missed out on the previous releases of John Williams' masterpiece The Fury, La La Land Records is re-releasing the score on February 26th.

Check it out!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!