• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor, for days I keep on raving about the FSM Superman Box, that's all about Williams.

But that Dudkakis march is pretty mediocre (as was that candidate). Thinks like that Williams writes between brushing his teeth and going to bed.

And a piano piece, that I won't get to hear in the forseeable future? What am I supposed to say about it?

Sorry Thor, I appreciate you sharing this information, but what more is there to do?

Well, I worshiped at the maestro's altar this morning and so I am exculpated.

cheesy
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    Thor wrote
    *sound of a needle dropping to the floor*

I'm starting to realize this kind of news (which to me is something to get extremely excited about!!) is mostly for Williams fans -- judging by the silence here and at FSM.

This is why we need a "like" button or a thanks button. It's not that there's no interested it's just that there really isn't much more to say on the subject.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013
    I guess that's true. It's not available to hear (yet), after all.

Still -- a new piece by one of the greatest composers in the last 50 years -- finally written for piano, his MAIN instrument.....to me, that's aweinspiring and tremendous news in itself, even before I've heard a note.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    *sound of a needle dropping to the floor*

I'm starting to realize this kind of news (which to me is something to get extremely excited about!!) is mostly for Williams fans -- judging by the silence here and at FSM.

This is why we need a "like" button or a thanks button. It's not that there's no interested it's just that there really isn't much more to say on the subject.

-Erik-

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I guess that's true. It's not available to hear (yet), after all.

Still -- a new piece by one of the greatest composers in the last 50 years -- finally written for piano, his MAIN instrument.....to me, that's aweinspiring and tremendous news in itself, even before I've heard a note.

I guess... but it's not like Williams has already written dozens of piano pieces in his film scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    Listen to that Johnny "Curly" Williams playing the piano in his own piece "Aunt Orsavella" -- recorded in October-1956:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUK1wjWoAw

Some great skillz there.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, he can play all right. It reminds me a little of one of my favourite jazz pianists, Dave Buxton, at least his early stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Yes, he can play all right. It reminds me a little of one of my favourite jazz pianists, Dave Buxton, at least his early stuff.

Name sounds slightly familiar, but I'm not as big a jazz buff as yourself.

I think it's pretty cool to think that Williams was 24 years old when he wrote and performed that. What did I do at age 24? Certainly not that.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor, when you've reached 80 you won't have written an E.T. a Jaws, a Star Wars, A Raiders etc etc etc etc etc etc so I wouldn't beat yourself up for not being able to write/play a jazz piece at 24 biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good point.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's a number of film composer come "ivory tinklers" who are exceptional piano players, Andre Previn, Lalo Schifrin, Michel Legrand and Roy Budd are all jazz standard capabilities, the latter three having an extensive jazz background.

I guess we could also include the excellent Jan Hammer, what say you thunderer? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    There's a number of film composer come "ivory tinklers" who are exceptional piano players, Andre Previn, Lalo Schifrin, Michel Legrand and Roy Budd are all jazz standard capabilities, the latter three having an extensive jazz background.

I guess we could also include the excellent Jan Hammer, what say you thunderer? wink

We should indeed. I was skeptical of Schifrin's skill after I saw a rather lackluster piano performance at a Paris concert in the 90's (on TV), where the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE theme was totally off and he kept missing the keys, but then I've played some earlier performances of his after that, which are of a totally different quality.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

We should indeed. I was skeptical of Schifrin's skill after I saw a rather lackluster piano performance at a Paris concert in the 90's (on TV), where the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE theme was totally off and he kept missing the keys, but then I've played some earlier performances of his after that, which are of a totally different quality.

I haven't seen that but anyone who played piano with Dizzy Gillespie has to be better than just good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was trying to think of all my own personal favourite pianists?

Oscar Peterson
    Duke Ellington
    Dave Brubeck
    Gil Evans
    Bill Evans
    Dave Buxton
    Lyle Mays

...I bet I forgot a few.
  2. Vladimir Horowitz
    Arthur Rubinstein
    Alfred Brendel
    Ignaz Paderewski
    Sergej Rachmaninoff
    Alfred Cortot
    Wilhelm Kempff
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Vladimir Horowitz
    Arthur Rubinstein
    Alfred Brendel
    Ignaz Paderewski
    Sergej Rachmaninoff
    Alfred Cortot
    Wilhelm Kempff

Sorry Volker, I should have pointed out that they're my favourite jazz pianists.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Vladimir Horowitz
    Arthur Rubinstein
    Alfred Brendel
    Ignaz Paderewski
    Sergej Rachmaninoff
    Alfred Cortot
    Wilhelm Kempff

Sorry Volker, I should have pointed out that they're my favourite jazz pianists.

I was well aware of that. I just couldn't stopp me, anyhow. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    The antidote to recent discussions. Because we all need a break.
  4. What an effect it must have had on audiences back in 1978.

Today films have reached the point where "I have never seen something like that before" will never happen again. (Well until they invent holographic movies.)

Time to re-introduce stroy tellling to action cinema, I believe.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I remember seeing this in the cinema when I was nine.

The effect would have been utterly imprintive and formative, and would have blown my tiny, impressionable mind for the rest of eternity if not a few short months before I had been exposed to another little flick with a rather snazzy opening sequence.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

The effect would have been utterly imprintive and formative, and would have blown my tiny, impressionable mind for the rest of eternity if not a few short months before I had been exposed to another little flick with a rather snazzy opening sequence.

I didn't like SUPERMAN when I saw it in 78, it was one of those films I grew to love and appreciate later. STAR WARS on the other hand, that opening sequence when I was 15 yrs old shocked explode

somehow we managed to sneakily stay in the cinema to watch it a 2nd time, not easy considering the queues around the block, two people missed out on that showing because of us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nice fanfaric openings that I'm sure had some effect on me when I was young and saw those films for the first time, but the opening sequences that were more moody and laidback had FAR greater impact on me....Ridley Scott stuff like ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER, for example.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not the fanfare (only), Thor. It's really the whole picture! The letters into space was just....mindblowing! Larger than life! Yes, this is the universe. And it has huge moving letters in them (in Supes' case with AWESOME swishy sounds! How COOL was (and still IS) that? It's still one of the most exciting opening sequences in cinematic history!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

I didn't like SUPERMAN when I saw it in 78, it was one of those films I grew to love and appreciate later. STAR WARS on the other hand, that opening sequence when I was 15 yrs old shocked explode

somehow we managed to sneakily stay in the cinema to watch it a 2nd time, not easy considering the queues around the block, two people missed out on that showing because of us.

Out of pure curiosity, why did you originally disliked the 1978 Superman?

Watching the Snyder film made me crave to watch the original again, which I did as a kid. Luckily I have it on my computer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christopher Reeve wasn't muscly enough.

I didn't believe a man could fly.

Not enough super-feats

Didn't like Margot Kidman
  6. Kidder? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, he's deadly serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Superman: The Movie is a terribly silly film once it reaches metropolis, but the opening main titles is, still to this day, fantastic.