• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013 edited
    Well, he also worked wonders with Schindler's List so there's really no reason not to be completely stoked about this! His War Horse was wonderful but there's certainly no harm in going into more serious drama again.

Besides, Munich may not be to everyone's tastes (certainly not as a listening experience) but it's still a very strong and interesting score with more than a few standout moments. Besides, a new Williams that's NOT from a regular collaborator! I thought it'd never happen again! You can never have enough Williams projects!

My guess is he has a warm heart towards the project, probably because of the subject matter or he might have read the book, and really wants to do it (like Morricone a few years back with Fateless) and that attitude often gives the best scores.
  1. While I haven't cared for later-career Williams, if somebody were to ask me whom I would hire to score the film he'd be one of only two names I would come up with.

It's also refreshing to see him finally break away from Speilberg again.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013
    I repent of my cynicism....this is going to be awesome!!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2013
    Apparently William's next score in 2013 will be ‘The Book Thief’
    It's nice to see Williams in a non Spielberg movie after a long time
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Furthermore, I've heard that Williams is now attached to a new film called THE BOOK THIEF?

Sorry, Dennis, it's just that we've been talking about it for the last 10 posts or so.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I hear he's been announced for the new Star Wars film. OMG!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Did you also know that James Newton Howard is doing the new HUNGER GAMES film, CATCHING FIRE?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Did you also know that James Newton Howard is doing the new HUNGER GAMES film, CATCHING FIRE?

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote

FALSE.

He is actually doing the new HUNGER GAMES film, THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE. "CATCHING FIRE" was made in 1998 and had the score composed by the legendary Bingen Mendizábal.

FACT!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Thor wrote

Goddamn, I was going to say that. biggrin
  4. No wonder Dennis has only posted here 20 times. We're all dicks. tongue
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    No wonder Dennis has only posted here 20 times. We're all dicks. tongue

Sorry my fault, actually i've read the last 2-3 posts before posting mine but don't know why I thought it was about a different subject. Anyway, the good news is Williams working on a new film and such good news can be repeated 100s times wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013 edited
    It seems this thread is catching fire again after a while of semi-non-existence. Go Williams!
    Kazoo
  5. Several new reviews, including Lincoln which is so much better on disc than I expected

- The Cowboys
    - Home Alone
    - Lincoln
    - Sabrina

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Found this wonderful, intimate documentary about John Williams. Very insightful, emotional, yet also surprisingly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7T98bF0 … pp=desktop

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013
    Synchrotones wrote
    Found this wonderful, intimate documentary about John Williams. Very insightful, emotional, yet also surprisingly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7T98bF0 … pp=desktop

<s>

That's an oldie that went viral maybe some 5-6 years ago.

I thought it was funny for the first 2 minutes or so, but then just becomes aggravating after that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way, sound samples from Williams latest score, THE BOOK THIEF, are now up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G … B00G71FW8G

I love what I'm hearing. Elements of PRESUMED INNOCENT, SCHINDLER'S LIST, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA and others.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    It sounds like a lighter Angela's Ashes. I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013
    It sounds exactly as expected. And that means it sounds good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013
    Yes please! lick
  7. David has posted this over at Filmtracks. I'm glad to spread the word: John Williams on The Book Thief

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/th … n-williams

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    David has posted this over at Filmtracks.

His name is not David. That's Yonathan Vargas. Bootlegger extraordinary and Grade-A Asshole . We at MT know him as yonythemoony.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    David has posted this over at Filmtracks.

His name is not David. That's Yonathan Vargas. Bootlegger extraordinary and Grade-A Asshole . We at MT know him as yonythemoony.

A witch! A wiiiiiiittch!

Seriously though, that guy is a pain.
  9. Next time he pisses you off, ask him how's his lawsuit (Quartet Records went to court with him publishing the whole Lo Imposible on youtube about a week after they released it).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013
    Gee guys, as far as I remember he's always been civil here.
    To be sure, I don't know the guy from anywhere but here, but still: maybe we should tone it down a bit?
    If there's a beef on a specific forum, I'd propose to leave it there if possible.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Gee guys, as far as I remember he's always been civil here.

I don't care how civil he appeared to be he's a grade-A asshole every where else and there are certain labels and composers that have a lot of issues with him. MT is better without him around.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Didn't he tell Erik to stop sucking John Williams' dick or something to that tune? He deserves no sympathy, and good riddance...unfortunately Filmtracks is still plagued by his ridiculous comments about how nobody likes James Newton Howard and the like.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013
    Yes he did Edmund, the man is a poisonous little oik.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013
    Wasn't he a guest on a popular cartoon show some years back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013