• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    "The Coming Storm" and "Hungry Raptor"...? HOLY SHIT! shocked These two tracks contain three of my most wanted previously unreleased Williams cues. These two tracks will be on repeat for the next little while!

-Erik-

Is your version of the cues different from the iTunes versions that seem to have the drop out in the sound that people have begun talking about?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013
    The drop-outs have been repaired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013
    Check out this Time Magazine article from 1949(!) that I've been able to find re: John Williams:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 18,00.html

Headline -- Music: Phuff?

Monday, Oct. 31, 1949 - The beat and blare of the fervid little quintet seemed familiar and so did most of the names: Ingle, Estes, Williams, Bodtkin. But behind the trumpet, instead of the famous "Red" Ingle, Hollywood jazz fans saw a curly-haired youngster of 18—Ingle's son Don. At the traps, in place of "Ace" Estes, was Estes' skinny, long-nosed boy Gene, 18. They counted off the same way right around the stand. Last week, devoutly following in their fathers' solid-beat footsteps, the famous sons' five were the hottest band in Hollywood.

They were playing only three nights a week; schoolwork kept them from doing more. Since July they had been packing fans into Van Nuys' elaborate, teenagers' Ciro's, the Dri-Nite Club, and making more than pocket money doing it (about $45 a week). By last week, they had spread out to playing one-nighters here & there, for fraternity dances and Hollywood high-lifers such as Columnist Jimmy Fidler. But the surest sign that they were really arriving was the hushed way the fans listened when the boys sat in with jazzbos like Drummer Zutty Singleton out at the Club 47, a Ventura Boulevard bistro where the best of Hollywood's radio and movie musicians go after work to jam.

The five first got together in a North Hollywood High School dance band. When it began to look more like a rut than a groove, 17-year-old Piano Player Johnny ("Curley") Williams (named after his drummer father) broke away and formed his own quintet. He took with him Mel Sidney, a bullfiddle slapper like his dad, Al Pollen. Other recruits were 16-year-old Perry ("Bunny") Bodtkin, the trombone-playing son of Bing Crosby's guitar accompanist, and Gene Estes and Don Ingle. "Boy," says Curley, "we yanked the nucleus right out of that Hollywood High band."

As Curley, the boss of the juvenile jazzbos, puts it, "We were pretty rough at first—everybody fighting for their own salad." Now, when they play together, they like to "get casual." Don Ingle does some of the arranging. Sample: their Show Me the Way to Go Home consists of 17 bars of written music, followed by the words "sing chorus" scrawled across the middle of the score sheet; at the end it demands a "jam out." They don't worry about programing. Says Ingle: "We play half what the audience wants, which is Dixieland, and the other half what we want, which, it happens, is also Dixieland." But they are already thinking about a new kind of music.

"Dixie is a happy music," says Bunny. "Swing makes you want to bounce, and guys that listen to bop drool at the mouth, get red-faced and excited. If we can get a combination of all three . . . we'll have something we'll call phuff."
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ha! Those articles from you and Erik are SUCH a great read! Thanks for digging all that stuff up!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013 edited
    Glad you enjoyed it, Martijn.

I get more response for posting something like that over at FSM (or JWFAN), so I don't usually share such things here, but there is probably a small handful here who finds it intriguing too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Considering I get a bit antsy when I get no acknowledgement for posting things I'd better not be a hypocrite and say nothing when I also read other peoples articles.

Thank you Thor, very interesting.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Very interesting indeed. Thanks!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. For those who have missed it

- The Accidental Tourist
    - Far and Away
    - Jane Eyre
    - The Patriot

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013
    A new interview with JJ Abrams says he wants John Williams to score the new Star Wars.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/04/30/st … -williams/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ They're all saying the right things.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let's hope Williams himself says the magic word ("yes").
  4. Well, I think he will, knowing that on that concert he was pretty sure he WILL be doing it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    He seemed to think at that time that George Lucas was making it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013
    Empire strikes back bts photography! An oldie but nice article for anyone who hasn't seen it yet! http://fstoppers.com/behind-the-scenes- … rikes-back
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    I read somewhere today in shittybook, that he said in a recent interview that he's working on the new star wars? Anyone know anything about it or it just a rumor? Also he said he won't be seeing man of steel 'cause it will be an emotionally unsettling experience for him?
  5. He plans to work on the next SW. Who will deny him? JJ won't.

He said that about MOS, but not with regard to the music but with regard to the iconic part not being played by Christopher Reeve.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. From what I read, he said that he actually talked to Abrams already.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. I'm trying to put together a running order for Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi from the various releases (original 2CD set (reproduction of LP set), the Anthology box and the more recent 2CD set).

I'm not looking to edit any cues but picking tracks from the various releases in order to get the nearest "complete" lists for each film.

If anyone has a link to somewhere where this information is, or if anyone has themselves done this then I'd appreciate the information.

Ta.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. I found what I was looking for here

http://chrono-score.blogspot.co.uk/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013
    Demetris wrote
    I read somewhere today in shittybook, that he said in a recent interview that he's working on the new star wars? Anyone know anything about it or it just a rumor?

He would like to work on the movie.... that's all. Nothing has been signed. Nothing has been shot so there is nothing to write to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    He seems to have met with Abrams so it seems quite likely that he'll be doing it. (But assuming there are three years between films - he'll be 89 when the last one comes out - and it would be pretty amazing to be scoring a big blockbuster movie at the age of 89. I assume it's not been done before.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Erik, the way the article was written it appeared like it was something already decided.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    He seems to have met with Abrams so it seems quite likely that he'll be doing it. (But assuming there are three years between films - he'll be 89 when the last one comes out - and it would be pretty amazing to be scoring a big blockbuster movie at the age of 89. I assume it's not been done before.)

Morricone may beat him to it.

But you're right. I can't think of any composers who wrote the score to a big blockbuster at that age. The late Russell Garcia made a jazz album when he was 93, but that's a bit different.

If Williams does it at that age, he will be the Christopher Lee of film music. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013
    I've often harped on about some of John Williams unreleased works, including fanfares like "Fanfare for Michael Dukakis". Well, to my amazement, someone just found this clip over at C-SPAN which includes the original performance of the piece:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Accepta

It plays in the beginning. Not a very good piece, maybe, and the performance is a bit on the skimpy side, but it's still a major breakthrough to finally have this fanfare available for listening!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I've often harped on about some of John Williams unreleased works, including fanfares like "Fanfare for Michael Dukakis". Well, to my amazement, someone just found this clip over at C-SPAN which includes the original performance of the piece:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Accepta

It plays in the beginning. Not a very good piece, maybe, and the performance is a bit on the skimpy side, but it's still a major breakthrough to finally have this fanfare available for listening!

I liked some of it, the structure and chord changes reminded me of E.T., Didn't care much for the actual fanfare parts.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the shoddy performance (or the small size of the orchestra) is partially to blame.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013 edited
    Yes, it's a bit thin isn't it.

I'd like to hear it done properly....and that means with Johnny W at the helm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013 edited
    Some great Williams days we've been having.

First the discovery of the Dukakis piece.

Then I had some success in my research yesterday, as the founder of the Charleston Stage sent me an mp3 of another lost Williams fanfare -- "Fanfare for Ten-Year-Olds" from 1988. A somewhat crummy studio recording, but still.

And if that wasn't enough, it has just been announced that Williams has written a new concert piece for PIANO(!) -- his MAIN instrument -- called "Conversations I and II" which is to premiere in a month:

http://www.mendocinomusic.org/event/gloria-cheng/

This is the first time we get to hear (hopefully) a concert piece written for his instrument. He's postponed that for so many years. There's the piano sonata he wrote at age 19, but that has never been performed or recorded.

Good Williams times!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    *sound of a needle dropping to the floor*

I'm starting to realize this kind of news (which to me is something to get extremely excited about!!) is mostly for Williams fans -- judging by the silence here and at FSM.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>