• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    Justin, I see your review is up. smile beer
  1. Yes, it's very nice. A couple years back I wrote an 11 page review of "Ghostbusters" -- and that's not a complete one either! If I could get it finished, it would be nice indeed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    A couple years back I wrote an 11 page review of "Ghostbusters" -- and that's not a complete one either!

Eleven pages?! shocked Wow. beer
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2008
    My review of Dirk Brossé's De Kavijaks:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/de-kavijaks/
  2. I thought it was time to put some lovely game scores in the spotlight
    for your enjoyment or not

- Afrika (Wataru Hokoyama)
    - Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)
    - Lair (John Debney & Kevin Kaska)
    - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Mark Griskey) thanks to Erik Woods for that awesome cover kiss
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Great reviews for some exemplary game music bro, and I mean this in a totally unbiased way. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I thought it was time to put some lovely game scores in the spotlight

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Mark Griskey) thanks to Erik Woods for that awesome cover kiss

Nice, Thomas! You seem to really be having some fun putting up all these new reviews! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009
    This is one area of music I've little experience with.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009
    Which game scores have you heard before?

My review of Leif Jordansson's De Halvt Dolda:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/de-halvt-dolda/
  4. William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I thought it was time to put some lovely game scores in the spotlight

Nice, Thomas! You seem to really be having some fun putting up all these new reviews! beer

it was about time too wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009
    I might explore more at some point
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    Twenty-two (I think) reviews in one day! Whoo hoo! spin punk Great job, Thomas! Keep 'em coming! beer
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    I hate to seem sour, but a long time ago I read several of the Maintitles.net reviews. They were plagued with bad grammar and seemed less professional than many of the other review websites.

I admit I haven't read any of the recent reviews. My comments are not aimed at any one particular person. I'm just bringing it up with the hope that this website will one day be one of the best websites for film score reviews. I am happy to see that so many new Alan Silvestri reviews were just added.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009 edited
    Panthera wrote
    I hate to seem sour, but a long time ago I read several of the Maintitles.net reviews. They were plagued with bad grammar and seemed less professional than many of the other review websites.

I admit I haven't read any of the recent reviews. My comments are not aimed at any one particular person. I'm just bringing it up with the hope that this website will one day be one of the best websites for film score reviews. I am happy to see that so many new Alan Silvestri reviews were just added.

Well, I'm fairly (fairly) sure Thomas comes from a country in which English is not exactly a first language. So if there are any errors, that would help explain it. Even if I'm wrong about the first language thing, he writes so many reviews, why wouldn't there be a few mistakes? After all, he's human. But I agree, about MainTitles one day being one of the best when it comes to film score reviewing. I must admit, our review pages certainly look the coolest. wink
  5. Indeed, English isn't Thomas's primary language. He is Belgian smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Indeed, English isn't Thomas's primary language. He is Belgian smile

So I see no reason for any one of us to criticize him the moment he makes a spelling or grammar error in the English language. Granted, if it's a real problem, he or Bregt or someone can go back and fix it, but for now, I can read anything by Thomas and still completely understand what he's talking about. It's the message that matters most, I think.
  6. Yes, that's what counts here. The message. In my earliest reviews, my style was atrocious, almost illegible (for readers of my primary language, Polish that is). I wasn't aware how STYLE influences things. I realized it when I started to criticize others for their style, not being aware about my own weaknesses in that.

I got better after few years of regular writing. And I am talking ONLY about my own primary language. Of course, a native speaker COULD take a look at the style from time to time, but is it really necessary? As long as we know the MESSAGE, that's what matters smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I'm glad you guys are not mad with my comment. Without friendly criticism, what would encourage people to improve?

And I was under the impression that more than one person wrote reviews.
    I was not aiming my comments at Thomas necessarily.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Though I haven't read all the reviews here, I found reviews written by who hasn't seen the film less interesting and less informative. For example, Lilo & Stitch review says almost nothing except questioning why Elvis songs are on it and mourning short score length. But if you watch the movie you'll understand why Elvis songs should be there (of course this album could have included more score tracks, but that's an another issue), and put some more info about the score within the film.

But other reviews by who saw the films are quite enjoyable and informative. And I like reviews not too long. wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Miya wrote
    Though I haven't read all the reviews here, I found reviews written by who hasn't seen the film less interesting and less informative. For example, Lilo & Stitich review says almost nothing except questioning why Elvis songs are on it and mourning short score length. But if you watch the movie you'll understand why Elvis songs should be there (of course this album could have included more score tracks, but that's an another issue), and put some more info about the score within the film.

But other reviews by who saw the films are quite enjoyable and informative. And I like reviews not too long. wink

I don't agree that soundtrack reviews should comment too much on how the music works in the picture. When it's on CD, it can be judged as a separate musical experience. However, I DO agree that it should be informative and comment on the various aesthetic aspects of the music, not just about album length or what paper quality the booklet is and other such superficial issues.

Then again, I don't read reviews in the first place, so it's a not a big deal to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Panthera wrote
    I'm glad you guys are not mad with my comment. Without friendly criticism, what would encourage people to improve?

We try to correct each others reviews as much as possible. I think that since some months, the writing is much better. But we still look for people who want to correct our texts now and then. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Bregt wrote
    Panthera wrote

We try to correct each others reviews as much as possible. I think that since some months, the writing is much better. But we still look for people who want to correct our texts now and then. smile

Bregt, I can help with that! You know I'm an english teacher. If you want me to proofread a review before posting it the only think you have to do is email it to me. Obviously, I don't mean to say I'm prefect and that I don't make mistakes.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Aha! Very good. I'll send you an email this afternoon.
    Kazoo
  7. Miya wrote
    Though I haven't read all the reviews here, I found reviews written by who hasn't seen the film less interesting and less informative. For example, Lilo & Stitch review says almost nothing except questioning why Elvis songs are on it and mourning short score length. But if you watch the movie you'll understand why Elvis songs should be there (of course this album could have included more score tracks, but that's an another issue), and put some more info about the score within the film.

aha, this concerns me tongue

First of all, I've tackled the Lilo & Stitch album indeed without having seen the film. Personally I can't see all the films I review the music of. Secondly I wrote the review that way because for most people score are as important as the songs in the film. And the reason so much songs and so little score is presented makes me (and a lot of people sad)

But I think the main problem with me is that Lilo & Stitch offers us music we heard before in other sources too. The Elvis songs may be a part of the movie's story, but they are so known even out of filmscore circles, it somewhat destroys the opportunity (for us at least) to get our hands on actual written score material. I think the problem like Bolt is containing that same problem

I know Miya you are a Disney follower and believer and I don't tackle the quality or the placement of songs by Elvis on the album. But I tackle them because they are unevenly divided. And as Score enthusiast I find that sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SONGS.ON.SCORE.ALBUMS.SUCK.BIG.TIME.period.

Soundtrack albums is their place.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Panthera wrote

why would we be mad? I know my reviews aren't 100% correct and I know for some, this will bother you more than others. I try to improve but I'll never be able to write as good as the people who actually have English as their native language.

Secondly professional? Hmn smile
    I don't have the musical skill to point out that this was written with these chords, and that was with that chord. I express my feelings more, and maybe that sounds less professional but I'm just an amateur anyway. wink

We will never be like any other website, that's not our main goal here. But what we must be like is a site that brings all sorts of impressions, upon the little score and upon the big blockbuster score. And they must be informative about the way they sound. And What I try to do most of all is construct a review so that you might realize, if you liked that score you may like this score as well. If you write professional and don't mention anything emotionally, you may be right about the quality of the score, but not about the fact he will like it as much like you, because we are all different in our taste and impressions
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I always like to see the scores released separately, even if the songs and scores are based on each other.
  9. William wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Indeed, English isn't Thomas's primary language. He is Belgian smile

So I see no reason for any one of us to criticize him the moment he makes a spelling or grammar error in the English language. Granted, if it's a real problem, he or Bregt or someone can go back and fix it, but for now, I can read anything by Thomas and still completely understand what he's talking about. It's the message that matters most, I think.

I have no problem if someone would fix errors or bad grammar. But I would have a problem if someone would completely re write multiple lines. Because then it would'nt be my review anymore. Anyone has his own style about constructing something. And then I would rather appreciate it if someone just wrote a complete new review about it, rather then to change multiple lines in my review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Miya wrote

aha, this concerns me tongue

First of all, I've tackled the Lilo & Stitch album indeed without having seen the film. Personally I can't see all the films I review the music of. Secondly I wrote the review that way because for most people score are as important as the songs in the film. And the reason so much songs and so little score is presented makes me (and a lot of people sad)

But I think the main problem with me is that Lilo & Stitch offers us music we heard before in other sources too. The Elvis songs may be a part of the movie's story, but they are so known even out of filmscore circles, it somewhat destroys the opportunity (for us at least) to get our hands on actual written score material. I think the problem like Bolt is containing that same problem

I know Miya you are a Disney follower and believer and I don't tackle the quality or the placement of songs by Elvis on the album. But I tackle them because they are unevenly divided. And as Score enthusiast I find that sad

Oh of course, I'm NOT happy about Lilo & Stitch having too many Elvis and too little Silvestri! But, I meant, it's understandable why the soundtrack producers put those Elvis songs on the soundtrack, like 50s songs on Back To The Future. What upsets me (and you and many other score fans) is the fact there is so much rooms left for more score tracks on those discs (as you write on the review).

It's really sad but that's a different issue. What I wanted to say about your review was, it could have more information about score itself, rather than about its policy of soundtrack production.

MT is a place for score fans, so, as you said, what visitors wanted is information (including reviewer's opinion) on film scores. So when you review a soundtrack with few score tracks before watching the movie and checking the score in it, you can't have much to write about the score. If you had watched the film, you could give us some insights about what was good (or bad) in the movie's score and what was missing from the album. Like you did on BTTF review. smile

But I like the way you review scores. I like reading what you feel by listening to music, and what you think it sounds like, rather than reading what instruments was used on this cue or how counterpoint skill was used on that cue, etc. Emotion is an important thing for me... smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    SONGS.ON.SCORE.ALBUMS.SUCK.BIG.TIME.period.

Soundtrack albums is their place.

Mostly, yeah! There are exceptions though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt