• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    biggrin

Gimme your number Bregt, we'll hook up some time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Oooh. So an arse cannot be screwed.
    Right! Thanks.

biggrin

Because... he thinks you can't screw an arse. Or... the opposite? (just trying to follow your puzzling reasoning here. Nothing more).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Oooh. So an arse cannot be screwed.
    Right! Thanks.

biggrin

Because... he thinks you can't screw an arse. Or... the opposite? (just trying to follow your puzzling reasoning here. Nothing more).

He's talking dirty, that's all I need.

I should really stop.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008
    In a word ...YES! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008 edited
    Audio Interview with Ramin Djawadi.

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=1139

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=2769

From reading/listening to both interview, it seems like final sound of the score wasn't just something that came independent of the Jon Favreau's input. If Ramin wrote an orchestral theme/cue for the character, and Jon wanted a heavy metal approach, then can you really blame Ramin for giving the director what he wanted?

Anyway, the interview is one of the more lively composer interview I've heard lately. Nice job, Daniel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008
    Yeah point is that even if that's what happened, IRON MAIN is pretty bad heavy metal as well. OPen your ears people.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    -edit-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah point is that even if that's what happened, IRON MAN is pretty bad heavy metal as well. OPen your ears people.

Point is, if it was bad for the movie, they would have replace it.

IMO, I haven't heard any good heavy metal score, though I wouldn't care very much either way as long as it works for the movie it was written for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah point is that even if that's what happened, IRON MAN is pretty bad heavy metal as well. OPen your ears people.

I am sorry but truth to be told, i giggled at that remark wink

IMO, I haven't heard any good heavy metal score, though I wouldn't care very much either way as long as it works for the movie it was written for.

Take the opening to JOHN DEBNEY's SCORPION KING.

BRIAN TYLER'S TOKYO DRIFT

RUPERT GREGSON WILLIAMS' Battlefield 2: Modern Combat

parts of HANS ZIMMER's BLACKHAWK DOWN

And especially JOEL GOLDSMITH's KULL : THE CONQUEROR.

Just to name a few. No relation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    lp wrote
    Audio Interview with Ramin Djawadi.

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=1139

Nice interview. Very interesting. And Djawadi seems a nice guy.

Christodoulides wrote
    IRON MAIN is pretty bad heavy metal as well. OPen your ears people.

Sure, Iron Man won´t be in 2008´s top ten, I think we all agree here.
    But we´re talking about a 33 year old guy (damn, he is only 3 years older than me!). He has just started his solo career ("Beat the Drum" was a good score, even "Mr. Brooks", besides his additional writing in many scores by Badelt and Zimmer). We tend to judge this new generation as if they HAVE to be GREAT since day one. Give ´em time, and we´ll see.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus, I do agree that it would be very unfair to judge the composer and write him off based on his first major score. But on the other hand, just because it's his first major score doesn't mean we shouldn't say it's hideous beyond all belief, if that's what we think. And I do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Marselus, I do agree that it would be very unfair to judge the composer and write him off based on his first major score. But on the other hand, just because it's his first major score doesn't mean we shouldn't say it's hideous beyond all belief, if that's what we think. And I do.

Sure, and as I´ve said, Iron Man won´t be in our fav list at the end of the year. But I don´t know, sometimes we (I´m included too) tend to be too harsh regarding this new generation of composers, specially if they are MV/RC related composers. I mean, if somebody, in 1990 (Days of Thunder....) had told me that the same guy would do The Thin Red Line or Gladiator or The Da Vinci Code I´d probably had sent him to a mental hospital. Perspective (and time) are the key wink
    That said, you´re right, "Iron Man" is a zero stars effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

Sure, and as I´ve said, Iron Man won´t be in our fav list at the end of the year. But I don´t know, sometimes we (I´m included too) tend to be too harsh regarding this new generation of composers, specially if they are MV/RC related composers. I mean, if somebody, in 1990 (Days of Thunder....) had told me that the same guy would do The Thin Red Line or Gladiator or The Da Vinci Code I´d probably had sent him to a mental hospital. Perspective (and time) are the key wink

Yes... but Days of Thunder sounds just as crap now as it did then!

(I did like Beat the Drum, by the way. So hopefully I can't be accused of disliking people just because of their name or where they work.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

Totally agree! What was crap is still crap, but I think you got my point smile

Southall wrote
    (I did like Beat the Drum, by the way. So hopefully I can't be accused of disliking people just because of their name or where they work.)

It wasn´t a direct accusation of course wink . I was talking in general (and including myself) and the truth be told, "Beat the Drum" reviews and comments were pretty positive.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I am sorry but truth to be told, i giggled at that remark wink

I wouldn't call Tokyo Drift heavy metal. Hard rock, yes, but not metal. It's not nearly as harsh as say BHD or rock parts of Scorpion King.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Those aren't heavy metal scores. They're, more or less, heavy grunge rock score. I define heavy metal by the standard of Metallica's S&M album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Those aren't heavy metal scores. They're, more or less, heavy grunge rock score. I define heavy metal by the standard of Metallica's S&M album.

I;d say portions of Scorpion King and Kull definately have the right elements of heavy metal. BTW, heavy grunge rock is also heavy metal.... actually, it's all rock and roll.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

I was a fanatic metalhead for 10 years and i have a huge cd collection back home, i would never define heavy metal as Metallica's S&M. But even as that, IRON MAN is nothing like the said album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and KULL is very heavy mate. Very heavy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote

Ppshaw! I disagree. DOT was way better than most of the electronic scores in the early 90s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and KULL is very heavy mate. Very heavy.

Eh... It feels like a limp-wristed attempt half the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

I was a fanatic metalhead for 10 years and i have a huge cd collection back home, i would never define heavy metal as Metallica's S&M. But even as that, IRON MAN is nothing like the said album.

Oh no, I wasn't even trying to compare Iron Man to the S&M album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    shocked

I said "half the time".
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I actually listened to Iron Man after all the negative comments (I needed my own opinion).

Add me to the band wagon. This score is awful. It's just meaningless rock and guitar riffs. biggrin rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    Ramin Djawadi: Around the World in 50 Years 3D

Iron Man composer Ramin Djawadi continues his relationship with Illuminata Pictures and director Ben Stassen, who helmed Fly Me to the Moon, another of Djawadi's recent projects.

More at:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … years.html

yay rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

yay rolleyes

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Cool!

Another movie from that guy (he's Belgian wink )

Fly me to the Moon is the first real 3D movie btw. Especially made for 3D cinemas, not unlike Beowulf, which is a generic movie but then processed afterwards for 3D projecters.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I saw Iron Man last weekend. Good movie, good supporting score. The score was seamless, weaving in and out of the visual almost effortlessly. The whole approach is similar in feel to Batman Begins, and I think they were very successful in hitting all the highlights. generic-background music. The score sounds lacking on album, but I think it was a smidge better than Steve Jablonsky's Transformers score (don't know why I thought of Transformers though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008 edited
    SOUNDTRACK.NET interview with RAMIN DJAWADI:

http://web1.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=253

"Composer Ramin Djawadi gained recognition for his Emmy-nominated work on the hit FOX TV show "Prison Break" as well as his work writing additional music for composer Hans Zimmer on such films as Thunderbirds and Batman Begins. Most recently he scored the hit superhero film Iron Man for director Jon Favreau, and SoundtrackNet had an opportunity to talk with his burgeoning talent."