• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    ... if it weren't for an octogenarian Italian then I would say he's the finest film scorer alive.

That's pretty generous to one of those guys. wink

Balletic though it may be, Horner tends to press some pretty conventional emotional buttons that makes him for me, as a presence in a story, unwelcome. He always tells me when two lovers are really in love when I can already see it in their eyes. He always tells me exactly when that love becomes complicated. Everything that should be up for grabs is fixed into place by the interpretation his music encourages.

Och! I actually think that of all the A-list Americans (Williams, Elfman, Howard) he's the only one who even makes an attempt to do anything than just commentate on what you can already see. Leonard Rosenman had a few words to say about that sort of thing!

I get a hint of that efficiency in Newton Howard's KING KONG, which is why I dislike it so much, but Howard's best scores avoid this. I agree that Williams can certainly kill a film with his precision (MEMOIRS didn't leave much emotion up for grabs in some scenes, but I don't know that the performances threw it out there in the first place), but then you look at something like MUNICH, where he's scoring through the scenes for about half the cues instead of breaking them up into mini-emotional moments. But Horner is the best at it homogenising a whole movement of a film in 10 minute cue that changes exactly where it needs to change to register generate emotion onscreen. (And then there's the lack of subtlety - when you most understated score is HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG, you need to sit down and do a whole score with a string quartet and piano just to figure out how to not hit the nail on the head so forcefully.) Unfortunately, it will keep him in pretty conventional dramas like A BEAUTIFUL MIND, and away from more interesting stuff like THE NEW WORLD.

I say all that, but then there's always an APOCALYPTO that comes out of nowhere...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    moviescore wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'll give you that one. But then again, a good percentage of scores WORK in the film... shit music or not.

The difference between Horner's music and others that also WORK, is that it has a certain touch - it is exquisitely elegant, graceful, sophisticated in its dynamic relationship to the pictures, the movement, the pacing, the editing. It does so much more than only work! IMO of course.

mc

Couldn't agree more; i am listening to APOCALYPTO again today and really, i am thinking that nobody else could have written the shocking "To The Forest..." that closes the album in the way Horner did. Amazing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

I get a hint of that efficiency in Newton Howard's KING KONG, which is why I dislike it so much, but Howard's best scores avoid this. I agree that Williams can certainly kill a film with his precision (MEMOIRS didn't leave much emotion up for grabs in some scenes, but I don't know that the performances threw it out there in the first place), but then you look at something like MUNICH, where he's scoring through the scenes for about half the cues instead of breaking them up into mini-emotional moments. But Horner is the best at it homogenising a whole movement of a film in 10 minute cue that changes exactly where it needs to change to register generate emotion onscreen. (And then there's the lack of subtlety - when you most understated score is HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG, you need to sit down and do a whole score with a string quartet and piano just to figure out how to not hit the nail on the head so forcefully.) Unfortunately, it will keep him in pretty conventional dramas like A BEAUTIFUL MIND, and away from more interesting stuff like THE NEW WORLD.

I say all that, but then there's always an APOCALYPTO that comes out of nowhere...

Could you explain the bit about KING KONG please? I didn't get it; nor what you said about THE HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG; i don't know if it's your choice of words and advanced grammar that baffles my overkilled by lack of sleep and tough schedule mind right now or it's something else wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Interesting thoughts there Michael, if a little anal for my taste.

Apologies for my choice of words there, that doesn't exactly conjure a particularly nice image.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Unfortunately, it will keep him in pretty conventional dramas like A BEAUTIFUL MIND, and away from more interesting stuff like THE NEW WORLD.

Well, I'm not sure any composer would have won the battle against Wagner in The New World! It's things like Beautiful Mind that I'm talking about though really. Such elegant music for that film and it works beautifully. Even take Legend of Zorro - who else would have managed such an eloquent ten-minute action piece in a film like that? It doesn't precisely hit the points but it's always doing what film music should, and I like it so much because it's actual music. You could take one of his better albums and play it straight through in its entirity in a concert and it would work beautifully, and there are few film composers you could say that about. Even the untouchably great film score albums usually contain some bits which we like for nostalgic reasons even though they're not properly musical, but that's not the case with Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES, frankly i am not a big fan; it has some good points in it but despite the unoriginality, the whole first half sounds fragmented and too much mickey-mousing carries through it; i can see the points some raised about the refinery and organic way of Horner when approaching the musical side of this but still, as a listen on album he has produced so much better than this, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like Titanic. It done gives me goosebumps.
  2. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Unfortunately, it will keep him in pretty conventional dramas like A BEAUTIFUL MIND, and away from more interesting stuff like THE NEW WORLD.

Well, I'm not sure any composer would have won the battle against Wagner in The New World! It's things like Beautiful Mind that I'm talking about though really. Such elegant music for that film and it works beautifully. Even take Legend of Zorro - who else would have managed such an eloquent ten-minute action piece in a film like that?

True true! I'm being very armchairish here.... forgive my arrogance. I just hate it every time characters fall in love in a film and James Horner wants to tell us what's really going on.

One of the strong things about A BEAUTIFUL MIND's score is that for the scenes of decoding, there's a score there that's linking the audience to the energy in Nash's mind that not even Russell Crowe could've gotten across. And the slow scoring of that car chase... beautiful choice. The moments I speak ill of are more the underscoring of Nash's speech at the end, which is more in the tradition of what Williams did with that final Anthony Hopkins speech in AMISTAD.

By the way, this is going to sound really strange, but I think Hans Zimmer would have won the battle against Wagner in THE NEW WORLD. There's a strong sense of Wagner in 'Journey to the Line', and in many of his more recent scores ('Am I not merciful?' and 'The Dark Knight' from GLADIATOR and DARK KNIGHT, respectively). I don't think he would have displaced Mozart though... if Horner couldn't do that , Zimmer wouldn't have. (Horner's piano work can have a more classical sound that Zimmer's, I feel.)
  3. Steven wrote
    Interesting thoughts there Michael, if a little anal for my taste.

Apologies for my choice of words there, that doesn't exactly conjure a particularly nice image.

Don't worry, know what it means to be retentive down here in antipodean land.

(Isn't it being mentally constipated?)
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I get a hint of that efficiency in Newton Howard's KING KONG, which is why I dislike it so much, but Howard's best scores avoid this.

Could you explain the bit about KING KONG please?

Remind me to come back to this. I must sleep now, but I agree, I didn't explain myself well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Absolutely agree; the fact that ZImmer truly outdid himself once in his career so far and that was THE THIN RED LINE of Mallick and by also comparing it with the music presented by others in other Mallick films, i truly think that Zimmer is the only one who can truly get and elevate his (admittedly odd, but also genuine) vision.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote

By the way, this is going to sound really strange, but I think Hans Zimmer would have won the battle against Wagner in THE NEW WORLD. There's a strong sense of Wagner in 'Journey to the Line', and in many of his more recent scores ('Am I not merciful?' and 'The Dark Knight' from GLADIATOR and DARK KNIGHT, respectively). I don't think he would have displaced Mozart though... if Horner couldn't do that , Zimmer wouldn't have. (Horner's piano work can have a more classical sound that Zimmer's, I feel.)

I don't agree here. For me, this would situation was a deadend for Horner. He may have had two possibilies. He could stick to his musical ideas (and get rejected by Wagner), or he could start imitating Wagners musical voice. But I'm quite sure, this would have left him being accussed again for stealing ideas and musical textures of other famous composers.
    I don't think a Zimmer score would have matched the delicat voice of The New World (and I do like The Thin Red Line, but for me, The New World is a complete different movie).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote

One of the strong things about A BEAUTIFUL MIND's score is that for the scenes of decoding, there's a score there that's linking the audience to the energy in Nash's mind that not even Russell Crowe could've gotten across. And the slow scoring of that car chase... beautiful choice. The moments I speak ill of are more the underscoring of Nash's speech at the end, which is more in the tradition of what Williams did with that final Anthony Hopkins speech in AMISTAD.

That I agree with wholeheartedly. I think Williams overscored Amistad, I've never liked that score in the film (and to be honest it's really only the wonderful theme I regularly return to). It just didn't need that much music, or at least music in certain scenes. Proves no matter how good you are, even the best can get it wrong... IMO of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh crap, not again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I like Titanic. It done gives me goosebumps.

I'm a defender of this score too.....well, except the "Enya" stuff and Celine 'catterwailing' Dion. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Feel free to disagree Basil, but don't take it out on the thread! wink

(By the way, I'm not sure you are disagreeing, since I'm saying Zimmer would've been closer to Wagner in the first place, something which you say Horner would not have been capable of. (Something you're right about, incidentally. Horner has sounded like many composers over the years, but never Wagner that I can recall.))
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    MY MIGHTY VOICE CANNOT BE FULLY HEARD AND APPRECIATED! CURSE THIS GLITCH!! crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Someone done messed up d' thread? dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    MY MIGHTY VOICE CANNOT BE FULLY HEARD AND APPRECIATED! CURSE THIS GLITCH!! crazy

I HEAR YOU BUT I HAVE TO GO TO THJE SIDE BAR crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    fixed it. It was BasilB's quoting Franz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BasilB wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I don't agree here. For me, this would situation was a deadend for Horner. He may have had two possibilies. He could stick to his musical ideas (and get rejected by Wagner), or he could start imitating Wagners musical voice. But I'm quite sure, this would have left him being accussed again for stealing ideas and musical textures of other famous composers.
    I don't think a Zimmer score would have matched the delicat voice of The New World (and I do like The Thin Red Line, but for me, The New World is a complete different movie).

I don't think Zimmer's THE THIN RED LINE is far from what THE NEW WORLD is again; how are they so different? same slow-mo, long scenes, voice-overs, ethical dilemmas and personals struggles, long shots of amazing scenery, the theme of conflict, everything is there. If i had the time i'd ever do an Erik and put Zimmer's TTL over some scenes of THE NEW WORLD. Don't get me wrong, i like Horner's work for this movie but i think Zimmer's the only one who truly captures Mallick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    BasilB wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I don't think Zimmer's THE THIN RED LINE is far from what THE NEW WORLD is again; how are they so different? same slow-mo, long scenes, voice-overs, ethical dilemmas and personals struggles, long shots of amazing scenery, the theme of conflict, everything is there. If i had the time i'd ever do an Erik and put Zimmer's TTL over some scenes of THE NEW WORLD. Don't get me wrong, i like Horner's work for this movie but i think Zimmer's the only one who truly captures Mallick.

Well, the guy's only made four films, and only three of those have any original score, and one of those three saw the majority of the film scored with classical pieces, so I don't think one can extrapolate that Zimmer's the only one who can do it. Days of Heaven has a perfect score.

I don't agree that The Thin Red Line and The New World are close enough films that they could have had similar scores, by the way. On the surface, perhaps, but I actually think that what ended up in each film was perfect, and nobody working on New World would really have beaten what Malick did in the end. Likewise, nobody could have written a better score for Thin Red Line than Zimmer did.
  6. Yeah, I must stress that it isn't because of a similarity of cinematic style that I see the possibility that Zimmer might have scored THE NEW WORLD. It's only because his music is influenced by Wagner than Horner's. Most of the music in THIN RED LINE isn't, and 'Journey to the Line' isn't the right sort of Wagner, but I think he would have been a lot closer to the mark.
  7. Well, for any directors reading all this: if it ever comes down to the choice to have Zimmer and Wagner-esque approach, and actual Wagner, always pick actual Wagner. Don't even for a second consider the alternative.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    Yeah, I must stress that it isn't because of a similarity of cinematic style that I see the possibility that Zimmer might have scored THE NEW WORLD. It's only because his music is influenced by Wagner than Horner's. Most of the music in THIN RED LINE isn't, and 'Journey to the Line' isn't the right sort of Wagner, but I think he would have been a lot closer to the mark.

Well, the Lohengrin prelude does play a big part in Journey to the Line, so it does in Winter/Battle from The New World.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. For anyone else is The Spiderwick Chronicles hard to hear? It's weird, for me it seems like everything is very guiet and it's hard to hear the details in between the highs and well...the silence (lows). Maybe it's a setting on my computer or iPod, but my other scores are totally normal. But maybe it's just me...
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Not sure, but here is a theory. Most of Horner's score has a very "classical" ambience in its engineering/mix. That means BIG dynamics - what is piano is really quiet and what is fortissimo is really loud! On the other hand, it could be a question about mastering. I know that Lakeshore has been doing some very sloppy mastering/editing on other albums before...

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All this talk of Spiderwick recently has made me revisit the score, as I hadn't listened to it since its release. I'm enjoying it a lot more now that expectations are gone, and I can honestly say this is one of the better score albums of this year IMO (although a little trimming off the total running time wouldn't go amiss). Horner's scores can make such great albums simply because of his approach to film scoring, a certain kind of elegance as Mikael has mentioned.

It may be yet another culmination of past scores (bits of Krull, Casper and Willow most notably), but I really don't think it's as much of a rip-off as some reviews make it out to be. Okay, it's not exactly new either, but that doesn't matter, it's Horner doing what he does best, which is a helluva lot better than what most composers do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I'm enjoying it a lot more now that expectations are gone

I find that this is something that happens frequently with me too; when i feel i am not properly getting a score (excluding crap like Iron Man of course or Hitman, stuff i can never never listen to again and believe me, i tried) i leave it aside in order to revisit in a random future time, when i feel like it or it's been brought up in conversation in this forum. I usually like it way more in that far listen when i am in a more neutral state but there have been many cases my initial sentiments were re-validated and it seemed even worse than the first time. Few ones though, usually the latter impression is very improved comparably.
  10. Yes, when wanting something to sound fantastic and you have high hopes, when it reality it's more restrained I'm always disappointed, especially with Horner as he's just so hit or miss these days. Yet when revisiting the score (like Spiderwick) at later moments I can find ways to appreciate it much more than on that first disappointing listen (by find those little moments of beauty or disguised ingenuity). Same happened with The Four Feathers which I'm able to enjoy more nowadays. Of course repeated listening can make you more comfortable with such a score but when you accept the music for what it is, and not for what it could've been, there's always more enjoyment to be had.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.