• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    For anyone else is The Spiderwick Chronicles hard to hear? It's weird, for me it seems like everything is very guiet and it's hard to hear the details in between the highs and well...the silence (lows). Maybe it's a setting on my computer or iPod, but my other scores are totally normal. But maybe it's just me...

Simon Rhodes is hit and miss with Horner. There are times he is brilliant... The Mask of Zorro... and others he is absolutely horrible... Deep Impact. However, if you are familiar with Rhodes style he records using a more concert hall technique. Very spacious, not a lot of detail and a lots of reverb. So, when you get into those quieter moments of a Horner score, with the lack of tight micing, it's almost impossible to hear the music. I'm not a fan of his style to be honest. I still think Shawn Murphy recorded Horner's music the best. He managed to mic Horner's music which allows for those quit moments to be audible while at the same time embracing those BIG dynamics that Mikael was talking about without destroying your stereo system or destroying the natural dynamics of the music by compressing the sound.... a sad technique embraced by pop/rock mastering engineers.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    For anyone else is The Spiderwick Chronicles hard to hear? It's weird, for me it seems like everything is very guiet and it's hard to hear the details in between the highs and well...the silence (lows). Maybe it's a setting on my computer or iPod, but my other scores are totally normal. But maybe it's just me...

Simon Rhodes is hit and miss with Horner. There are times he is brilliant... The Mask of Zorro... and others he is absolutely horrible... Deep Impact. However, if you are familiar with Rhodes style he records using a more concert hall technique. Very spacious, not a lot of detail and a lots of reverb. So, when you get into those quieter moments of a Horner score, with the lack of tight micing, it's almost impossible to hear the music. I'm not a fan of his style to be honest. I still think Shawn Murphy recorded Horner's music the best. He managed to mic Horner's music which allows for those quit moments to be audible while at the same time embracing those BIG dynamics that Mikael was talking about without destroying your stereo system or destroying the natural dynamics of the music by compressing the sound.... a sad technique embraced by pop/rock mastering engineers.

-Erik-

Like Bruce Botnick?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Thanks so much Erik, I have no knowledge of music engineering, but agree with you about the style and would prefer to just hear the music rather than experience a concert hall atmosphere. Since I'll only be hearing on the CD and not live anyway. Thanks for erasing the worry about my going deaf or something. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    I have that problem when listening to Horner in my car. There are tracks that just go by and I can't make out a thing, and the car isn't even that loud. Best not put this CD on then, a half hour will have passed before I've heard anything biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    I remember this one time playing The Ambush cue from Clear and Present while driving... Yes, it's a lot of noise, but it also includes some rather inaudible moments (if you listen to it on average volume)... Ridiculous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    I've never had any trouble with that cue? It's actually one of my favourite Horner cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote

-Erik-

Like Bruce Botnick?

I think Botnick is great. Just listen to E.T., which was also recorded by Lyle Burbridge.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited
    Excerpts from the score are available on the official site.

http://thefilmfactory.co.uk/boy/ ("Music")

1. Boys Playing Airplanes (4:12)
    2. Exploring The Forest (2:36)
    3. The Train To A New Home (3:59)
    4. The Wind Gently Blows Through The Garden (5:55)
    5. An Odd Discovery Beyond the Trees (2:55)
    6. Dolls Aren't for Big Girls, Propaganda is... (3:46)
    7. Black Smoke (1:42)
    8. Evening Supper - A Family Slowly Crumbles (7:53)
    9. The Funeral (1:53)
    10. The Boys Plans, From Night to Day (2:36)
    11. Strange New Clothes, an Impending Storm (9:52)
    12. Remembrance, Remembrance (5:29)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    The site doesn't work for me while I'm at work. Does it say who's releasing the album?
  2. No, unfortunately not. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited
    The music playing automatically on the website is certainly very nice, but I can't seem to play any clips from the playlist? It just gives me the list and a little blurb underneath, no option to play.

Anyway, not too bothered. I'll definitely be getting this score, for me it's one of a very few must-haves from this year.
  3. There is no playlist, just the tracklisting as plain text.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, okay. I thought you meant there were... bitova misleading post there! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which score is that you all talk about automatically without mentioning its name?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. The Boy With Striped Pyjamas.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Those track titles are so classically Horner that they almost sound like some of the joke ones... biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Indeed biggrin

Especially "The Wind Gently Blows Through the Garden" and "An Odd Discovery Beyond the Trees"
  6. This is the music playing in the background: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cn4955
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Boy With Striped Pyjamas.

tHANKS!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Those track titles are so classically Horner that they almost sound like some of the joke ones... biggrin

Yeah I know, Southall has totally ruined most of Horner's cue names for me. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yeah I know, Southall has totally ruined most of Horner's cue names for me. biggrin

I think it enhances the experience...better to have cue names with personality like Horner's and Giacchino's than most of the lazy, straightforward stuff we get on most score releases.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. I remember a Goldsmith score starting with a track called The John biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I prefer track names with a bit of humour. I despise pretentiousness in many forms, not least cue names. (Not that it matters to be honest, music is good or bad regardless of its name.)
  8. Like "Another Brick in Hadrian's Wall"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Zimmer has a great sense of humour. biggrin beer
  9. I love his credits biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008 edited
    It seems that there will be a soundtrack release:

"To celebrate the release of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, showing in cinemas from 12 September, myfilms has teamed up with Miramax films to give one lucky winner assigned copy of the best-selling novel, a signed poster, and a copy of the soundtrack. Four runners up will each receive the novel, the film poster and the soundtrack. Offer ends 19 September."
    http://www.myfilms.com/Competition

Now we just need to know who releases it... I couldn't find anything at various online stores. confused
  10. Antineutrino wrote

4. The Wind Gently Blows Through The Garden (5:55)

5. An Odd Discovery Beyond the Trees (2:55)

6. Dolls Aren't for Big Girls, Propaganda is... (3:46)

8. Evening Supper - A Family Slowly Crumbles (7:53)

11. Strange New Clothes, an Impending Storm (9:52)

12. Remembrance, Remembrance (5:29)

Jimmy boy strikes again with the tracktitles! The use of capitalisation left, right and centre certainly doesn't help!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  11. Yeah biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008
    Let me See....

Horner doesn't compose for a great Hollywood movie since....

His usual directors doesn't hire him anymore : Ron Howard (Newman,Zimmer), Ed Zwick (Zimmer, JNH), Wolfrang Petersen ( Horner is angry because he didn't ask him to score Poseidon)...evidently Mallick will not hire him either.

What I forget?? tongue