• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, and then he goes and calls him an idiot. Maybe he should take the responsibilities he TOO has for the outcome? Blaming just 'the others' all the time isn't very pro either, especially at a movie where he seems to have missed the point.

He's professional in the music he makes, but that alone doesn't make him a complete professional. Being a 'know-it-all' and call publically professionals like Mallick idiots and such adjectives isn't exactly what i have in mind as professional.

Did he really call Malick an idiot?

To answer my own question, I re-read the inteview, and no he didn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, and then he goes and calls him an idiot. Maybe he should take the responsibilities he TOO has for the outcome? Blaming just 'the others' all the time isn't very pro either, especially at a movie where he seems to have missed the point.

He's professional in the music he makes, but that alone doesn't make him a complete professional. Being a 'know-it-all' and call publically professionals like Mallick idiots and such adjectives isn't exactly what i have in mind as professional.

Did he really call Malick an idiot?

I don't remember the words exactly, but that's not the point. If i work with you, i do what you want, and then go publically and shout that you don't know what you want and what you're doing, and that it was my worst experience in my whole life and i never want to work with you, then it's self-canceling isn't it? Especially when someone of the magnitude of ZImmer for instance (as Horner, you might not consider much of him, but realistically speaking, business-wise they're on equal levels) managed to deliver his best score for him and talk so highly of him, then you must also consider that whilst the other end is no angel, your big huge ego and beloved self might have also done something wrong too...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    If you took someone who knows neither Horner nor Malick and showed them The New World and asked them if they thought Horner was right that it should have emphasised the love story, do you seriously think they would say no? There's a reason only twelve people saw that film. Personally - I love it - but Horner represents the majority. I absolutely, 100% disagree with Horner about Malick and The New World, but not many people would, and it's Horner's right to say it. He spent six months of his life working on a film and only saw ten minutes of his music left in it - you might want him to say "yeah, I really loved that, Terry's such a visionary director, it was a pleasure to put my heart and soul into the film for him and see the music thrown out" - but that would just make me think what a phoney he was.

I don't really care about any of that, and I'm sure you're absolutely right. He seems like a relatively fair natured person, it's just the way he describes himself and his music I'm not too keen on. As I said, it lacks humility - and that's a quality I respect above many others. But that's just me.

I just like his music!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Michael and Southall, you're defending him 'cause you like his work, it's pretty natural.

I respect him not because he's written fine music (you'll find me quite critical of aspects of his approach in the last page of this very thread!), but because too few speak their mind. And they don't speak their mind, because they're afraid of offending people to whom their close. In all three cases- Malick, Yared and Petersen - there seems to have been a breach in those relationships as far as Horner is concerned. It's just like Danny Elfman accusing Sam Raimi after the SPIDERMAN 2 debacle of having sold out to Sony, but with a franker, less emotional perspective.

It's a bit of a paradox, this one. I don't like what he said about Malick, and I think what he said says a lot about how he gets into storytelling, but I'm glad he said it. I'd rather a true perspective than this 'oh you know, he's a genius' stuff we get about every director, from Jon Amiel to Robert Zemeckis.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    If you took someone who knows neither Horner nor Malick and showed them The New World and asked them if they thought Horner was right that it should have emphasised the love story, do you seriously think they would say no? There's a reason only twelve people saw that film. Personally - I love it - but Horner represents the majority. I absolutely, 100% disagree with Horner about Malick and The New World, but not many people would, and it's Horner's right to say it. He spent six months of his life working on a film and only saw ten minutes of his music left in it - you might want him to say "yeah, I really loved that, Terry's such a visionary director, it was a pleasure to put my heart and soul into the film for him and see the music thrown out" - but that would just make me think what a phoney he was.

I don't really care about any of that, and I'm sure you're absolutely right. He seems like a relatively fair natured person, it's just the way he describes himself and his music I'm not too keen on. As I said, it lacks humility - and that's a quality I respect above many others. But that's just me.

I just like his music!

Indeed, it's a big thing in life to know that you're a mortal like everyone else, you don't hold God by the balls (as we say here in Greece) nor do you have the Pope's sin forgiveness and the pardon of God (what a travesty that was btw wink ), you must be able to judge your self and even have a sense of self-sarcasm and yes, like everyone else, you might be wrong too, you must acknowledge it from time to time. I think he is to blame too for not getting the meaning of what Mallick did, it's not just one's side fault.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Michael and Southall, you're defending him 'cause you like his work, it's pretty natural.

I respect him not because he's written fine music (you'll find me quite critical of aspects of his approach in the last page of this very thread!), but because too few speak their mind. And they don't speak their mind, because they're afraid of offending people to whom their close. In all three cases- Malick, Yared and Petersen - there seems to have been a breach in those relationships as far as Horner is concerned. It's just like Danny Elfman accusing Sam Raimi after the SPIDERMAN 2 debacle of having sold out to Sony, but with a franker, less emotional perspective.

It's a bit of a paradox, this one. I don't like what he said about Malick, and I think what he said says a lot about how he gets into storytelling, but I'm glad he said it. I'd rather a true perspective than this 'oh you know, he's a genius' stuff we get about every director, from Jon Amiel to Robert Zemeckis.

It bothers me that everyone labeled him "a speaker of truth" just because he rants in egoistical ways and thus makes for a fun, fresh read for us. There's other ways to express your discomfort, more down to earth, less self-centered, more realistic, more professional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    It bothers me that everyone labeled him "a speaker of truth" just because he rants in egoistical ways and thus makes for a fun, fresh read for us. There's other ways to express your discomfort, more down to earth, less self-centered, more realistic, more professional.

Like what? What do you think he should have said about The New World, the most miserable experience of his life, when he was directly asked about it? What could he have said that was more down to earth, less self-centered, more realistic and more professional than saying that he thought Malick didn't realise the best way of scoring the film? Seriously? Here you go again, on about ego and professionalism. What SHOULD he have said? What could he possibly have said apart from what he thinks?

If YOU did a job for six months and 95% of it was rejected by your employer, what would you say to someone standing outside the door on your way out of the office? He did NOT say that Malick was an idiot. He offered no personal criticism of any kind. There's nothing unprofessional there and you're ploughing an extremely peculiar course by keep on saying there is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd have made sure i TRIED my hardest and sacrificed my personal 'wants' (especially with such fat checkbooks running towards me) to a degree that doesn't insult me, studied previous Mallick films and their music, as to understand what he wanted from the beginning. But you realize that's something he probably wouldn't do, right? I am replying as Demetris in a hypothetical scenario, i don't have the fame and name of Horner for sure. But instead, he seems to love and stick to his ego usually, resulting in the mess in this case and then barking about it in the net. Where's the part where you do your self-judgment? WHY the largest portion of the score was dumped? WHAT did i do wrong?

Sorry James, you won't find me agreeing so let's not beat the dead horse. The reason is that as years go by i tend to NOT like, more and more, people who have huge egos, huge ideas about themselves and aren't able to self-judge and self-sarcasm. People who take themselves too seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What I am sick and tired of is seeing and reading interviews with Hollywood people who say absolutely NOTHING of worth because they're afraid they're gonna offend someone and lose a potential future job. If they've had an unfortunate experience, PLEASE SHARE IT (without getting nasty, of course, which neither Horner nor Elfman did)!

I disagree with Horner's assessment of Malick and his whole "mainstream" way of thinking films, but God how delightful it is to hear someone speak directly from the gut.

And this reminded me...

Oh, how I would have loved it if Fincher had decided to do interviews on the ALIEN QUADRILOGY set...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i don't like it either. But if your job was on the line, like it or not, you'd be careful what you say and to which you say it to. It's like those idiotic individuals who get fired 'cause they posted something against their boss or supervisor or company in facebook. Plain idiotic and stupid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Speaking of which, i.e people who take themselves too seriously and hold very high ideas about themselves, i don't like those types anymore for some reasons, but mainly 'cause i too was such in the past. It took me a lot of time and effort to realize what i was doing to myself.
  2. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Like what? What do you think he should have said about The New World, the most miserable experience of his life, when he was directly asked about it? What could he have said that was more down to earth, less self-centered, more realistic and more professional than saying that he thought Malick didn't realise the best way of scoring the film? Seriously? Here you go again, on about ego and professionalism. What SHOULD he have said? What could he possibly have said apart from what he thinks?

If YOU did a job for six months and 95% of it was rejected by your employer, what would you say to someone standing outside the door on your way out of the office? He did NOT say that Malick was an idiot. He offered no personal criticism of any kind. There's nothing unprofessional there and you're ploughing an extremely peculiar course by keep on saying there is.

Zimmer can talk VERY badly about a movie he did in a VERY classy fashion. Anybody read his interviews about Pearl Harbor? No direct personal attacks, just saying that it's a better comedy than Shrek.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ......plus he delivered a gem for Mallick. wink

(i like THE NEW WORLD on album btw, it's such a mellow and relaxingly soothing experience, suchj beautifully melodic score but it's not anywhere near TTRL for sure)
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i don't like it either. But if your job was on the line, like it or not, you'd be careful what you say and to which you say it to. It's like those idiotic individuals who get fired 'cause they posted something against their boss or supervisor or company in facebook. Plain idiotic and stupid.

I am sure Wolfgang Petersen will never work with Horner anymore after the Troy debacle. He said some really bad words about that movie. And, ironically, Petersen was/is a big fan of Horner (reportedly he was Petersen's original choice for Air Force One, but I am not sure if we are talking about the replacement score or the original)
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Speaking of which, i.e people who take themselves too seriously and hold very high ideas about themselves, i don't like those types anymore for some reasons, but mainly 'cause i too was such in the past. It took me a lot of time and effort to realize what i was doing to myself.

I have that too, but sometimes I guess I am still realizing that stuff partly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

Actually, I've worked a couple of places where I've vehemently disagreed with my "bosses" about something and said so - in a constructive, rational manner. And this is the TV business we're talking about. I did NOT get fired and I've asked them about this later; they said they had no problem with me disagreeing with them. I think they even appreciated my candor.

Of course, there's a difference between that and outright insulting an employer on facebook or whatever. Everything Horner says is honest, but rational, non-personal and constructive.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree there, but I don't think this applies in this case. A couple of places where Horner's pride shines a little bit through, but quite modest, when it comes down to it (especially when compared to entertainment people in other areas).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Actually, I've worked a couple of places where I've vehemently disagreed with my "bosses" about something and said so - in a constructive, rational manner. And this is the TV business we're talking about. I did NOT get fired and I've asked them about this later; they said they had no problem with me disagreeing with them.

Of course, there's a difference between that and outright insulting an employer on facebook or whatever. Everything Horner says is honest, but rational, non-personal and constructive.

Of course, you should not be a fruit. Following orders blindly and have no personality will take you nowhere.

But when you disagree, you have to have arguments, be polite and respect the other party and never, never insult them or backstab them. You have to present what you have to say to them directly, in their face and in a timely manner and a very constructive / respectful way, not bark afterwards, and behind their backs.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I am sure Wolfgang Petersen will never work with Horner anymore after the Troy debacle. He said some really bad words about that movie. And, ironically, Petersen was/is a big fan of Horner (reportedly he was Petersen's original choice for Air Force One, but I am not sure if we are talking about the replacement score or the original)

I think Horner said in the interview (I may be misremembering) that he didn't particularly want to work with Petersen again. He felt he had twice done Petersen a good turn (coming in to rescue TROY, and earlier on PERFECT STORM), and Petersen showed no personal gratitude or acknowledgement, and did not approach him to score the next (though why Horner would want to do POSEIDEN, I don't know!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    But when you disagree, you have to have arguments, be polite and respect the other party and never, never insult them or backstab them. You have to present what you have to say to them directly, in their face and in a timely manner and a very constructive / respectful way, not bark afterwards, and behind their backs.

Maybe you shouldn't in a "politically correct" way, but I think it's refreshing. We need more of it. It's what keeps the passion in art alive.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I think Horner said in the interview (I may be misremembering) that he didn't particularly want to work with Petersen again. He felt he had twice done Petersen a good turn (coming in to rescue TROY, and earlier on PERFECT STORM), and Petersen showed no personal gratitude or acknowledgement, and did not approach him to score the next (though why Horner would want to do POSEIDEN, I don't know!).

In fact, he said he didn't want to do Poseidon - he was just disappointed that Petersen didn't ask him!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    How and WHY he would approach him after the Troy interview? See? "had twice done Petersen a good turn" is quite my point...he considers that when working with someone, he does them a favor, he's a blessing to them and he's always right. When questioned, he feels insulted and attacked. That's at least what he transmits in his sayings.

Having said that, Petersen is the biggest fruit for rejecting perhaps one of the last "classic" film scores, Yared's Troy. But that doesn't concern Horner and his good replacement work for Troy of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

I think there's a very thin dividing line for sure between having a high opinion of oneself (and I don't think that is a bad thing at all) and going over into arrogant egotism. I don't think Horner has come close to crossing that line.

It's a bit odd really because all the stories about Horner are that he is a painfully shy man, yet he is by a very, very long way the best living film composer at giving interviews (and I wish he did it more often). I frequently disagree with him but that's a different story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Maybe you shouldn't in a "politically correct" way, but I think it's refreshing. We need more of it. It's what keeps the passion in art alive.

I agree with you. But you have to take this into account too, whether we like it or not, the money these people get for their work in Hollywood, esp. the big names, is way beyond anything that has to do with art. Someone still manage to inject art and art qualities in it, but that's the exception it seems these days, for most it's a standard procedure, a fascinating yes, but mostly typical route of working. These people, most of the big shots anyway, are business-men and they ought to be a bit more careful than the bunch, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I think there's a very thin dividing line for sure between having a high opinion of oneself (and I don't think that is a bad thing at all) and going over into arrogant egotism. I don't think Horner has come close to crossing that line.

It's a bit odd really because all the stories about Horner are that he is a painfully shy man, yet he is by a very, very long way the best living film composer at giving interviews (and I wish he did it more often). I frequently disagree with him but that's a different story.

I am not sure either, how he is in reality, but you can't blame me with things like THE NEW WORLD interview, that http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … r/#Item_22 and him complaining that he wasn't asked to score Poseidon, after what he said about the director and the movie of Troy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    How and WHY he would approach him after the Troy interview? See? "had twice done Petersen a good turn" is quite my point...he considers that when working with someone, he does them a favor, he's a blessing to them and he's always right. When questioned, he feels insulted and attacked. That's at least what he transmits in his sayings.

Having said that, Petersen is the biggest fruit for rejecting perhaps one of the last "classic" film scores, Yared's Troy. But that doesn't concern Horner and his good replacement work for Troy of course.

Petersen didn't reject Troy, did he? I thought it was the studio that forced the replacement. Yared's score would have completely killed that film (which was pretty dead on arrival anyway) so it was a rare case of a good decision, but again that's besides the point.

Horner did his interview AFTER the bridge had already been burned BY PETERSEN. Poseidon had been and gone by the time of that interview.

I have never written and recorded a 100-minute film score in ten days, but I imagine it is an extraordinarily difficult thing, with pressure going way beyond anything any of us have had to face (or could face, in a work-related environment at least). He was entitled to a bit of love and respect from Petersen for that (much though I appreciate that Horner would have been well-compensated for it). If he didn't get it, he's entitled to say as much. I certainly would.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Petersen didn't reject Troy, did he? I thought it was the studio that forced the replacement. Yared's score would have completely killed that film (which was pretty dead on arrival anyway) so it was a rare case of a good decision, but again that's besides the point.

Horner did his interview AFTER the bridge had already been burned BY PETERSEN. Poseidon had been and gone by the time of that interview.

I have never written and recorded a 100-minute film score in ten days, but I imagine it is an extraordinarily difficult thing, with pressure going way beyond anything any of us have had to face (or could face, in a work-related environment at least). He was entitled to a bit of love and respect from Petersen for that (much though I appreciate that Horner would have been well-compensated for it). If he didn't get it, he's entitled to say as much. I certainly would.

You certainly have a romantic view for business, or particularly Hollywood with such adjectives as "love" and "respect". wink And if Petersen wasn't responsible for rejecting the first score in the first place (and which sparked the mess), as you suggest (i think as a director he could stick with the score if he wanted, and how would it kill the movie? the replacement wasn't so very different in sound, really, they even used the same vocalists, choir and some stylistic traits in places), then why is Horner blaming him for the general work and status of the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    It's a bit odd really because all the stories about Horner are that he is a painfully shy man, yet he is by a very, very long way the best living film composer at giving interviews (and I wish he did it more often).

I wish that too, although there are other cool interviewees too. Zimmer is always entertaining and fun, Elfman is "cool" and equally honest about stuff (but uses the occasional swear-word....he's a rocker, after all) and Goldenthal is an entertaining academic with incredible knowledge and cultural references, yet always with a dry wit. I also love Williams when he's allowed to go in-depth on something....he's not so good in an atmosphere of "smooching", where he merely latches on and returns the kudos.

Goldsmith was by far the worst interviewee....ever!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    How and WHY he would approach him after the Troy interview? See? "had twice done Petersen a good turn" is quite my point...

You've got the chronology a bit wrong. The interview came well after the POSEIDEN business.
    And to be honest, the idea that Wolfgang Petersen is not big on composer loyalty rings true. Randy Newman on AIR FORCE ONE, Gabriel Yared on TROY (friend of the family up til the day he was rejected, then cold shoulder thereafter), and from memory, quite a bit of Klaus Dolinger's stuff on NEVERENDING STORY was replaced by that Top Gun fellow.

Demetris, I want to work with you. Because clearly I can put you to a lot of trouble, and you'll take it on the chin. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    How and WHY he would approach him after the Troy interview? See? "had twice done Petersen a good turn" is quite my point...

You've got the chronology a bit wrong. The interview came well after the POSEIDEN business.

Not to nitpick, but after a couple of misspellings here now, I thought I'd point it out: That's POSEIDON.
    I am extremely serious.