• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    I guess Zimmer must be doing something right if so many agree, I'm just not one of them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    For me it has a beginning, a middle and an end which is somewhat rare in film music, much of which (sometimes due to its movie-depended nature, others due to composer's limited abilities) usually suffers from lack of structure. It's got proper development of everything musical in it, AND great big themes.

I haven't heard development of anything there, I have to say. It's a very surface-level film so a deep score wasn't necessarily needed but I'd have hoped for a bit more than we got.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    For me it has a beginning, a middle and an end which is somewhat rare in film music, much of which (sometimes due to its movie-depended nature, others due to composer's limited abilities) usually suffers from lack of structure. It's got proper development of everything musical in it, AND great big themes.

I haven't heard development of anything there, I have to say. It's a very surface-level film so a deep score wasn't necessarily needed but I'd have hoped for a bit more than we got.

You don't hear development in "The Battle" or "Barbarian Horde" ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Like you remember which cues these are wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Are they the ones that rip off Wagner? Or the ones that rip off Holst? Or the ones lifted from Dead Can Dance albums? Or the ones that quote Morricone? I just can't remember.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin :slap:

s-you
  1. Any moments where GLADIATOR doesn't work for me are usually places where I see through the (at times very thin) script, rather than the music failing the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Any moments where GLADIATOR doesn't work for me are usually places where I see through the (at times very thin) script, rather than the music failing the film.

Yours is a very common Ridley Scott-accusation, as I'm sure you're aware. Like with Tim Burton and other visually-oriented directors whose goal is just as much to communicate ideas through audiovisuals than to tell a story with a perfect script. That's why they're some of my favourite directors.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't have a problem with either approach, as long as i like the result. But some people like Tony Scott or the 300 director (forgot its name), often over-do it with visual bukkakes and no substance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interesting that you put Burton in that category. I'd never really thought of him that way (though I don't follow his films all that much - last one I saw was probably Sleepy Hollow, which didn't do much for me).

I like watching Scott's films because of the visuals, certainly. I don't go into any of them expecting to have to think (apart from about how awful the music is). Watching Body of Lies this weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A strange comparison? Tim Burton has a very clear and definite visual style and flair which embellishes, changes and challenges our sense of "normality". Scott simply goes for Grand Drama, with loads of CGI history. I wouldn't even say he has a particular (visual) style, except "BIG".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Any moments where GLADIATOR doesn't work for me are usually places where I see through the (at times very thin) script, rather than the music failing the film.

Yours is a very common Ridley Scott-accusation, as I'm sure you're aware. Like with Tim Burton and other visually-oriented directors whose goal is just as much to communicate ideas through audiovisuals than to tell a story with a perfect script. That's why they're some of my favourite directors.

I should note that if I see GLADIATOR under good conditions (great sound, picture), I don't particularly care about the script. Scott's bracing enough to engage me. I even miss some of the scenes that were cut out of the film (e.g. the scene where Lucilla conspires with Derek Jacobi).
    Until the very end, that is, where the man with all the power (Commodus) decides to throw his life away. That one bothered me at the time, and the post-death speech by the sister doesn't work at all either. But that isn't Zimmer's fault.
  3. Southall wrote
    I like watching Scott's films because of the visuals, certainly. I don't go into any of them expecting to have to think (apart from about how awful the music is). Watching Body of Lies this weekend.

Dramatically, that film is pretty bad. The film centers on two characters whose experiences aren't of any real consequence. The most interesting character however has enough screentime to make the film worth watching, and should have been even more at the centre of the film than he was.

There's a moral dilemma at the 2/3 mark that I can't believe wasn't made to be the basis of the drama. Amazing missed opportunity by the screenwriters.

Martijn wrote
    A strange comparison? Tim Burton has a very clear and definite visual style and flair which embellishes, changes and challenges our sense of "normality". Scott simply goes for Grand Drama, with loads of CGI history. I wouldn't even say he has a particular (visual) style, except "BIG".

Well, and desaturated. And blue filtered. wink
  4. Really? I recognize Ridley Scott by his shot composition!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

Oh, he has a ton of stylistic trademarks, stuff that has carried through his work ever since he went to the Royal College of Art. But more than that, I like his whole APPROACH to the medium; his ideology, if you will. DUELLISTS, ALIEN, BLADE RUNNER, 1492, GLADIATOR....they all "pause" the story now and then or shift our priorities slightly so that we can enjoy certain tableaux that can be either symbolical or mood-driven (which is no less a value than being told a story). That's why I think he doesn't do so well with comedies and lighter fare...there's simply too much substance in his style that the verbal contents disappear.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    Ahhh.
    they all "pause" the story now and then or shift our priorities slightly so that we can enjoy certain tableaux that can be either symbolical or mood-driven

Well put. Yes, I would agree with that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote

...and that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Ahhh.
    they all "pause" the story now and then or shift our priorities slightly so that we can enjoy certain tableaux that can be either symbolical or mood-driven

Well put. Yes, I would agree with that.

-pause-sound out-enter dramatic music for great emotional effect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

...and that. wink

He, he. To me, Scott's QUINTESSENTIAL visual trait is this:

Flickering lights through moving objects (like fans)

Or this.

And especially if there's, like, smoke and stuff in the air.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Ah yes, the urban look.

To me also a quintessential look is a typical Ridley Scott close-up composition, which I can't find online...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Oh, he has a ton of stylistic trademarks, stuff that has carried through his work ever since he went to the Royal College of Art. But more than that, I like his whole APPROACH to the medium; his ideology, if you will. DUELLISTS, ALIEN, BLADE RUNNER, 1492, GLADIATOR....they all "pause" the story now and then or shift our priorities slightly so that we can enjoy certain tableaux that can be either symbolical or mood-driven (which is no less a value than being told a story). That's why I think he doesn't do so well with comedies and lighter fare...there's simply too much substance in his style that the verbal contents disappear.

I find many of your posts fascinating and this one has left me floored. "Substance" is a word so far removed from anything I ever expected to hear about Ridley Scott. That HAS made me think.
  6. I think Thor's suggesting his style is his substance.
    It's that aspect to his work that has led to him attracting this sort of remark (from a film critic I know who saw American Gangster): "He's not very interested in personality, or even the motivations of conflicts. He just likes a good biff." (ie. a good fight) While extreme, it does suggest that the drama will rarely sustain in and of itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess I can see Thor's point, then. His style is something which is attractive to me in that it does things which only cinema can do - though other, better, directors have managed to make important points at the same time as having as strong (or stronger) visual styles. It's frequently hard for me to work out exactly what I'm supposed to care about in a Ridley Scott film beyond just enjoying the view. Of course, that's a legitimate enough reason to watch a film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I must say that I liked how Gladiator worked in the movie, too. While there isn't the progressive thematic development ala LoTR, I really liked how Hans used Lisa Gerrard's vocals in the opening scene, the "Earth" scene, the dramatic underscore for the character's speeches. "The Battle" was slightly over-the-top for the scene but I loved the use of the battle music in the Battle Of Carthage scene ("Barbarian Horde"). And I'd like to mention I like how Zimmer chose some scenes to be devoid of music, that worked great too (some of the action scene before the final battle had little or no music). "Now We Are Free", of course, was really excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    I must say that I liked how Gladiator worked in the movie, too.

Only a film score fan would put it that way. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    I guess I can see Thor's point, then. His style is something which is attractive to me in that it does things which only cinema can do - though other, better, directors have managed to make important points at the same time as having as strong (or stronger) visual styles.

And it's in your phrasing of the words "at the same time" that our difference lies, I guess. You probably think that visuals (and audio) should ALWAYS serve a given narrative or propel the story. Well, I'm not of that opinion. Film is an audiovisual medium, not a book, and can create ideas, symbols, moods, feelings through those means that are LESS narrative-driven EVEN THOUGH it's in a narrative Hollywood film. ALIEN is of course the quintessential example in Scott's canon - the essence of the story is paperthin ("people flee from monster in dark corridors"), but it's the execution of it and the revelling in Freudian metaphors and moods through mere audiovisuals that make it such a classic. Scott himself has said as much: "”To a large extent, Alien’s environment was a statement. And, I think, a great piece of art work”.

It's the same ideology at play in the other films I mentioned.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love Alien. I think it's easily his best film. Everything about it is brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...except the fact that the ship's design apparently includes that when an emergency arises, the best way to make sure everyone can work as efficiently and quickly as possible is to cut all the lights and flood the hallways with smoke, stroboscopic red flashing lights and blaring sirens drowning out any other sound!

That always struck me as a bit of a design flaw.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin