• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    I didn't heard the score (How it could be! )But say it could be composed by Zimmer is a blasfemy. I mean, Zimmer never could do a so bland mix of Synth and Orchestra.

I'm sure Avatar Horner tried to be a little bit Zimmerish. But How I said, Zimmer knows how to be powerful with electronics and orchestra, horner don't.

(How I could
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    No really....I even show the 1 minut clips to one of my friends and he said it has an outdated sound (and he was a really fan of Horner).

Even if there generic themes, or electronics mixed with orchestra, it doesn't mean it is so succesful than Zimmer or Jablonsky in transformers.

Of course, Zimmer can't do Krull either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    So would Avatar be better if it featured the 1970s pop music heard in Angels and Demons? wink
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Nautilus wrote
    Even if there generic themes, or electronics mixed with orchestra, it doesn't mean it is so succesful than Zimmer or Jablonsky in transformers

ah... which Transformers score did you hear?
    Both were complete rubbish.... pure noise .... fitting the film, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos wrote
    I would say...

If you like a John Williams kind of score: The Red Needles - Les Aiguilles Rouges
    If you like a Williams meet Goldsmith kind of action score: Fortress
    If you like an more avant garde, balsy, brassy and complex score, for the not faint of heart: Heavy Metal 2000. (score album of course)
    If you like action music with lots of brass; Robotjox. Its like Horner and Williams combined, it has a truly grand sweeping and very attractive romantic theme, a la Williams at his best, as well as an innocent brassy theme.

http://www.teletracks.com/audio/robotjox1.ra

The above descriptions are not an indication that he is a hack, copying Williams/Goldsmith/Horner or even Herrmann stuff, no not at all. Its all genuine. It just has a similar sound/feeling. Great stuff!

I am generally not that much into people who sound like Goldsmith / Williams etc, (although you did emphasize it's not like that), and this is the reason i don't frequently listen to Watako's (what is it like this?) 'Afrika' or for instance, Lair, but from your list i'll check out Robotjox it seems!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    BasilB wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Even if there generic themes, or electronics mixed with orchestra, it doesn't mean it is so succesful than Zimmer or Jablonsky in transformers

You can hate Transformers and The Island, but the it has a terrific sound design mixed with orchestra. it's a really high technology score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    So would Avatar be better if it featured the 1970s pop music heard in Angels and Demons? wink

So...Do you think Goldsmith's love theme from Coma and Angels and Demons has the same sound? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

So...Do you think Goldsmith's love theme from Coma and Angels and Demons has the same sound? wink

Yes. I find it hard to tell them apart!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    BasilB wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You can hate Transformers and The Island, but the it has a terrific sound design mixed with orchestra. it's a really high technology score.

If only that made them good.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    BasilB wrote
    Nautilus wrote

If only that made them good.

My point. Yes, they are "high technology scores" and that's what those pictures need.... so they do fit the pictures. But it's just quite bland to listen to... but we're reaching individual taste here. So neither of us is right or wrong... I just find the "technology" mixed in AVATAR far more interesting to listen to (because of all the supporting elements), than the heavy stuff rousing in unisono in those action scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    I didn't heard the score (How it could be! )But say it could be composed by Zimmer is a blasfemy. I mean, Zimmer never could do a so bland mix of Synth and Orchestra.

I'm sure Avatar Horner tried to be a little bit Zimmerish. But How I said, Zimmer knows how to be powerful with electronics and orchestra, horner don't.

(How I could

ROTFLMAOBSSTT biggrin

oh, and... wave spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's true. In the same vein I always thought Mancini, Williams and Schifrin never understood the first thing about jazz.
    And Goldsmith never really got 12 tone composing.
    And I could never understand how Delerue never really got the hang of lyricism.

*sigh* sad

They should have gotten Bo to do it.
    Bo knows EVERYTHING. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    (How I could

lol

Jordi, seriously. You're the entertainment of this board!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BasilB wrote
    Nautilus wrote

They were actually good i'd say, for their sound, style and film they accompanied. Big muscular (albeit simplistic) RC powerhouse anthems of the greatest degree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    (How I could

lol

Jordi, seriously. You're the entertainment of this board!

Yeah, but... that's not a good thing for Jordi! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I never did say that biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    Which are the Talgorn must=haves?

Talos wrote
    I would say...

If you like a John Williams kind of score: The Red Needles - Les Aiguilles Rouges
    If you like a Williams meet Goldsmith kind of action score: Fortress
    If you like an more avant garde, balsy, brassy and complex score, for the not faint of heart: Heavy Metal 2000. (score album of course)
    If you like action music with lots of brass; Robotjox. Its like Horner and Williams combined, it has a truly grand sweeping and very attractive romantic theme, a la Williams at his best, as well as an innocent brassy theme.

For me, his score for Les Aiguilles Rouges is tops! And that's followed by President and Laisse Tes Mains Sur Mes Hanches (Leave your hands on my hips).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All Williams-esque?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Seems to be predominantly Williamseque wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why not listen to the original Williams instead then ? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why not listen to the original Williams instead then ? wink

Ah, but would you say that if it was Delerue'esque? Surely that too would be a good thing? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, if it was completely Delerue'seque, i'd most probably say so yes especially as it's never going to match the quality of the original material / composer. If it's Delerue-influenced and blended into wholly different and gorgeous things like, for instance, Rombi, then i'd not. But the ratio of people being directly influenced by WIlliams (or even plagiarizing) VS those who do it for Delerue is largely towards the former...it seems to be the easiest way to attract attention wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't heard much Talgorn but what I have heard I've liked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think it's necessarily about attracting attention, it's just the way some of these composers are apparently taught - and that's a good thing! The more "Williams'esque" composers we get, the better (which is really just shorthand for traditional symphonic scoring).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    All Williams-esque?

No ways. Not with the scores for romance and drama which I'm more fond of, than the action/adventure stuff.
    Give President a try.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely applause ( to steven's reply )

More Williamseaque and less MV/RC thank you very much!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wellllll...Williams-esque as he tended to be in the seventies and eighties, please.
    There's MORE than enough Williams-esque stylistics out there, but not a goddamn theme in sight. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My Talgorn recommendation would be Asterix Aux Jeux Olympiques A jaw dropping, epic, THEMATIC score with one of the finest action cues I've heard this decade, "La Course De Chars."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Absolutely applause ( to steven's reply )

More Williamseaque and less MV/RC thank you very much!

Yeah, with more personality.

Martijn wrote
    Wellllll...Williams-esque as he tended to be in the seventies and eighties, please.
    There's MORE than enough Williams-esque stylistics out there, but not a goddamn theme in sight. slant

Completely agree. Good new scores, fully symphonic in nature, but zero memorable traits once you press 'stop'. There's no themes of WIlliam's quality in here!