• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    By sound, i mean the trademarked long chords, the specific dramatic long and slow chord procession, the usage of bass, the rhythms, the 'easy-listening' nature of the themes which are usually simplistic, easy to digest and based on rock guitar riffs instead of the previously Romantic era-based approach of the leitmotif and long, properly developed classical themes. Plus the instrumentation and the way he handles and spreads the harmony and melody in the specific instruments and instrumental teams.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    Yes I can hear the Zimmer analogy in one cue in particular but so far this is James Horner all the way. There are no rock anthems here wink Surely some "easy-listening" but they are really Horner's trademark phrases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    I've revised my statement.

To a T.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    By sound, i mean the trademarked long chords, the specific dramatic long and slow chord procession, the usage of bass, the rhythms, the 'easy-listening' nature of the themes which are usually simplistic, easy to digest and based on rock guitar riffs instead of the previously Romantic era-based approach of the leitmotif and long, properly developed classical themes. Plus the instrumentation and the way he handles and spreads the harmony and melody in the specific instruments and instrumental teams.

I think it's worth saying as well that some people's problem with Zimmer isn't in the way the music is (I've said many times that I like most of his albums even when I think they're awful film scores), it's rather the way he applies it to the films. I know it's a well-worn debate and not worth having again, but my personal problem with it comes not from anything to do with the compositional style, but the way the composed-by-committee approach robs a lot of his scores of any kind of singular dramatic vision and in his "one size fits all" approach, which is the reason I rarely see a film scored by Zimmer or his team and think it was well-scored (though it has certainly happened on occasion and there are certain types of films - mostly brainless ones where any kind of depth to the music isn't necessary - where it is no problem at all).
  1. Yes, brainless movies like Frost/Nixon, Driving Miss Daisy, The Thin Red Line, Invincible, Black Hawk Down, Matchstick Men, The Ring, As Good As It Gets or Spanglish.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, brainless movies like Frost/Nixon, Driving Miss Daisy, The Thin Red Line, Invincible, Black Hawk Down, Matchstick Men, The Ring, As Good As It Gets or Spanglish.

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Of course, The Thin Red Line isn't a brainless film, and it's by far his most impressive work. I've always given him great credit for that but suspect the unique requirements of writing music for Terrence Malick are not something he would want to experience again (sadly). I wish he could do such a monumental score again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I see your points James, but really, like TTRL there are some examples where his music worked EXCELLENTLY in the film it accompanied, made a very, very good score except for a great listen on CD.
  2. BTW, I know why Horner had half of his score rejected to The New World.

Knowing (since last few days) Malick's interest in philosophy and his doctorate thesis subject I can imagine that he is a bit hard to communicate with a guy with so basic approach like Horner. Horner doesn't understand the notion of musical metaphor too much and with Malick it's particularly hard. The man wrote his doctorate on Martin Heidegger and Wittgenstein (the concept of world). Has any of you read either?

Heidegger is the poet of philosophy with sentences like "Ontology is about finding the beingness of the being of being". Score THAT, Horner! lol
  3. Southall wrote
    Of course, The Thin Red Line isn't a brainless film, and it's by far his most impressive work. I've always given him great credit for that but suspect the unique requirements of writing music for Terrence Malick are not something he would want to experience again (sadly). I wish he could do such a monumental score again!

James, I think that Zimmer would love to work with Malick again. Read the interviews where he mentions that collaboration. It WAS hard, VERY hard, but he speaks of it with great warmth. I think he would love to work with Malick again, but I think he would need another year. Zimmer gives Malick a lot of credit for pushing him forward. And because of reasons I gave above (and the fact that Malick actually TRANSLATED Heidegger and edited a bilingual edition of one of his text) it also helped that they could communicate in perfect German, philosophical German too.
  4. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I've revised my statement.

To a T.

I wish there was a good retort to this. Instead I will greet you on this fine day.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    BTW, I know why Horner had half of his score rejected to The New World.

Knowing (since last few days) Malick's interest in philosophy and his doctorate thesis subject I can imagine that he is a bit hard to communicate with a guy with so basic approach like Horner. Horner doesn't understand the notion of musical metaphor too much and with Malick it's particularly hard. The man wrote his doctorate on Martin Heidegger and Wittgenstein (the concept of world). Has any of you read either?

Heidegger is the poet of philosophy with sentences like "Ontology is about finding the beingness of the being of being". Score THAT, Horner! lol

Horner has a Ph.D. too, though (although not in philosophy), which is one of the reasons why I'm surprised by his whole mainstream, Hollywood mindset.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote

Actually, that sounds like it could be a Horner track-title wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    BTW, I know why Horner had half of his score rejected to The New World.

Horner has a Ph.D. too, though (although not in philosophy), which is one of the reasons why I'm surprised by his whole mainstream, Hollywood mindset.

Yes. And he was educated in London!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes. And he was educated in London!

That's the problem then.
  6. Why? lol

So was Zimmer! He's got a degree in SOMETHING, but not music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wasn't Zimmer educated in Germany?
  7. He did move to London at a point and I think he studied there before he got the gig in Air-Edel.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    You could always, I dunno, wait for the album?

Like Me! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't heard it, thanks Erik for the sum up. GOes to say something about the status of Zimmer, his music and his influence on the industry, which many still refuse to date.

I can't think of anyone who has refused to note Zimmer's influence on film music these last decade and more? Just as Michael said, whether it's a good thing or not.

Speaking personally. I think it's a bad thing, a dumbing down of film music where it all sounds samey and one score fits all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    The only Zimmer score I like is K2. I like it when it came out, and I still do. Although this was an album 'inspired' by the movie, and not a real score, so it plays more like a regular music album. So it works, and I can accept the rock stuff... but only in this case. Otherwise I strongly dislike Zimmer and his influence. I would love to see real composers like Frederic Talgorn get some foothold back in Hollywood. (besides scoring his French pictures) However, I am not sure if he would like that. (anyone knows more about this?)

Talgorn's music, that's real filmmusic, that's the guy they should hire to write some intelligent and attractive music for either intimate pictures or grand mainstream blockbusters. (as long as the director / producers are not idiots) He is like a fresh John Williams mixed with Herrmann and Goldsmith. It cannot get better than that, what's more its is own 'voice', nothing forced or artificial.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talos.

The European version of K2 contains Zimmer's score, it's not an album 'inspired' by the movie, Zimmer's score is in it and from what I remember most of that album ( turned into two suites ) appears in the film.

p.s. CRAP film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Anthony wrote
    It's in French but with the English translation underneath. But apparently you can only stream it if you are in France. Is everyone using proxys?

I finally got around to listening to it. I first tried the proxy and connected but it wouldn't stream the music. Then when I disconnected from the proxy it worked. Weird!
    Anyways I listened to two of the long tracks and got bored.

Talos wrote
    Talgorn's music, that's real filmmusic, that's the guy they should hire to write some intelligent and attractive music for either intimate pictures or grand mainstream blockbusters.

Talgorn, on the other hand, is always awesome! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    http://www.teletracks.com/audio/heavy_metal00_12.ra
    http://www.teletracks.com/audio/heavy_metal00_4.ra
    http://www.teletracks.com/audio/fortress8.ra

'nuff said. He IS the man.

I'm pulling my hair out in frustration and anger, why oh why, lame no-brain hacks are getting hired, and greats like Talgorn are overlooked?!?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which are the Talgorn must=haves?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    I would say...

If you like a John Williams kind of score: The Red Needles - Les Aiguilles Rouges
    If you like a Williams meet Goldsmith kind of action score: Fortress
    If you like an more avant garde, balsy, brassy and complex score, for the not faint of heart: Heavy Metal 2000. (score album of course)
    If you like action music with lots of brass; Robotjox. Its like Horner and Williams combined, it has a truly grand sweeping and very attractive romantic theme, a la Williams at his best, as well as an innocent brassy theme.

http://www.teletracks.com/audio/robotjox1.ra

The above descriptions are not an indication that he is a hack, copying Williams/Goldsmith/Horner or even Herrmann stuff, no not at all. Its all genuine. It just has a similar sound/feeling. Great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Yes, there are passages in the music of Avatar that resemble Zimmer's style but I honestly think that the sound and character of the music is definitely Horner. You can't miss him in this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm enjoying the Avatar score! I understand the Zimmer sound Erik has pointed out. But it's still very much a Horner score (which has been said already I know). I doubt very much that it will be regarded as his greatest work. But it is damn good!

Talos, you are so right about Talgorn. He is an amazing composer! I love his work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm really liking it too. cool
    • CommentAuthorBasilB

At first, I too was a bit irritated about all the Zimmer references (wouldn't have been overly surprised, seeing Zimmers music as temptrack there), but I think, the power of Zimmers action scoring combined with Horners sensibilities in orchestrating and creating themes (not that Zimmer couldn't do this) is a winner.
    I just hope, that at some place, there is going to be more music realised, because for me the album lacks a bit of continuity (nothing like "Legends of the Fall" for example), something I've never missed so far in a Horner score... but I blame the album presentation for this... :-)