• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Nice detailed thinking Jon, and I think you're right about the reception it's likely to get.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014
    Me too, though its reception from me is very positive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014
  2. Yes, but it seems to be blocked. I can't play it.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014
    Only works in certain countries apparently. It's working in America, according to various posts at Filmtracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014
    Not in UK yet. Twilight is there though, you know you want to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just saw the film. I thought it was great. Some fantastic setpieces, discrete use of 3D and just all-over intense from start to finish. The beginning is a cross between JURASSIC PARK and ALIEN.

I did like Desplat's score in context too, although I can't picture myself listening to it on CD that much. Very brutal, but for once I found the composer's incessant use of endless ostinati quite appropriate -- gave the film a very primal "thrust".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Thanks Thor. Okay, now I'm very keen to go see the big fella!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2014
    Earlier this spring, Oscar-nominated composer Alexandre Desplat was at the Sony Scoring Stage to the record his score for the highly anticipated summer film, Godzilla. Directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters), the Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures film opens today, and ScoringSessions.com is delighted to bring our readers exclusive photos from the scoring sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  3. My review of GODZILLA, if anyone is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/05/24/godzi … e-desplat/

Jon
  4. Great review, Jon! Thank you for that.

I needed to listen to this score several times to really enounter its greatness. This is not a score to play in the background. You need to sit down and concentrate on the thematic development and the details of the orchestration.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014
    Thematic development?
    Hm.
    I absolutely adore the very raw sound and soundscape Desplat has created for the film (I'm gonna see the film tomorrow. Can't wait until I hear the music in context!), but any kind of strong theme or indeed thematic development passed me by entirely. The score seems to me to be much more about the 'whole (musical) picture' and ambiance than about any track or theme.
    Which is fine, of course.
    It's just not a CD I'll play often as a standalone experience.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Concerning the main theme, as Jon points out, there is a build-up during the album. IMO
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014
    Yeah, I read it.
    I'm just not hearing it. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. With 3 acclaimed scores out now, and another one on the way (Unbroken), I have a feeling that 2014 will be the Year of Desplat.
  7. Synchrotones reviews GODZILLA (Desplat) as part of the Year One celebrations.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  8. Well written and informative. Thanks, Pete!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2014
    Imitation Game, coming nov.10th
    http://www.amazon.com/Imitation-Game-Al … bsnr_42_70
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2014
    Spoof of the Hunger Games? smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. If the story of how Alan Turing helped fighting the Nazis by being an amazing cryptographer and then was blacklisted and led to suicide because of being gay is a spoof, could be wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorcrocodile
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2014
    My review of The Imitation Game, if you're interested. smile

Karol
  10. My review of THE IMITATION GAME, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/11/11/the-i … e-desplat/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well that's another awesome thing I can't go to. Shit. sad

Godzilla! cry
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    I´m very happy to have the chance to visit the concert and the Danny Elfman concert one day later at the Royal Albert Hall - my pregnant wife is going to be with me - I hope little me makes no troubles on the flight from Austria smile
  11. I've reviewed a Desplat score... guess which one! http://wp.me/p3hOx4-BY
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2015 edited
    sad
    My guess was Godzilla.
    I lose.

EDIT: but you already DID that one! biggrin
  12. Congrats to Alex on his BAFTA for the Grand Budapest Hotel.
  13. He took the Grammy for "Grand Budapest Hotel".