• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It is a bit like that for the first couple of minutes, before the sweet notes sing out. wink I can't remember hearing that first section in the film actually.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012
    It sounds a lot like it...the more i listened to it. Anyway what do you think of Rise of the Guardians?

I think he walks firmly onto the path of becoming the new Williams in the shoes of the original one.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I've only heard a few tracks but I like what I hear from that score. It's energetic without losing his sense of detail. There is a fairly big quote from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring in one of the tracks.

I agree definitely there is some connection between 'Elegy' and the opening of that track. But whereas 'Elegy' goes on to be something quite powerful and moving, for some reason I just can't get drawn in by that worthy 'mission accomplished' music that kicks in from 2 minutes in. In a film like HOSTAGE I could take it, but not so much ARGO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012 edited
    Desplat = new Williams?
    I don't think Erik would like that very much.
    And I don't think I particularly agree. He may be nearly as talented as Williams in his own way, but that way is a very different way than Williams. I don't think there's going to be a new Williams at all.

Giacchino was the best hope to be the new Williams but he seems to be content to do generic Lost / sub-MoH music ad nauseam with awful, cringeworthy sound design. I can't believe how bad it's possible to make a fairly strong effort like John Carter feel with his dull, plastic, strained recording. It's sad that the original Medal of Honor scores are still the best Giacchino has done after nearly 15 years. He's turning into the new Horner, if anything. Content to repeat his originally strong early tricks over and over again until they become tiring to us listeners.

</rant>
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012
    There's only one John Williams. I can't imagine any composer worth his or her salt wanting to be known as the "new" anyone however favourable the comparrison might be.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    There's only one John Williams. I can't imagine any composer worth his or her salt wanting to be known as the "new" anyone however favourable the comparrison might be.

Agreed. For the record (and in case you need reminding), I don't care for neither Desplat nor Giacchino and don't think any of them sounds like Williams in the slightest. Except that they all use orchestras in their music now and then. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012
    Alexandre Desplat to Reunite with Wes Anderson on ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/11/15 … est-hotel/
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012
    Is that the sequel to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel? Why isn't Thomas Newman coming back? tongue
  3. biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    New interview with the composer:

Composer Alexandre Desplat On Scoring His Newest Film, 'Rise Of The Guardians' (INTERVIEW, PHOTOS)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 … de=1775410
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    The Rise of Monsieur Desplat.

Alexandre Desplat talks about his wonderful new score for Rise of the Guardians. — with Alexandre Desplat at Abbey Road.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 … mp;theater
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012 edited
    Listen to the new score, ZERO DARK THIRTY

http://soundcloud.com/madison-gate-reco … ark-thirty
  4. Demetris wrote
    Listen to the new score, ZERO DARK THIRTY

http://soundcloud.com/madison-gate-reco … ark-thirty

Listening to "Flight To Compound" now and I really like this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012
    Sounds rather Zimmerish, the whole thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Boy this is good!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Sounds rather Zimmerish, the whole thing.

Yes, if Zimmer suddenly got good.

I like this, I REALLY LIKE IT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. CANNOT WAIT for this movie. A cross between ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN and THE INSIDER, about the hunt for Bin Laden? Yes please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The first half bored me to tears! And I'm really starting to get sick of the duduk!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. The last post in this thread particularly encourages me. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    The first half bored me to tears! And I'm really starting to get sick of the duduk!

-Erik-

I tired of the Duduk years ago. I can take it in small doses only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't know if it can be played or written for any other way but the torturous long notes written for the instrument are GRATING!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never tire of the duduk. Love the sound.

Desplat, on the other hand....
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Daily we all recite our unchanging thoughts on the same old things. We seem to find it interesting enough to keep doing but I sometimes wonder why we bother. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You drinking again, Michael?

-Erik-
  8. The smile was contrived, I admit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Endless new Desplat scores are endless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I loved it, it's atmospheric and you have to be in the mood, but it's a constant low-flying tension that kept me throughout the score; i loved the duduk, if you read the movie's premise it makes absolute sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not saying that it doesn't make sense.... I'm just tired of it! It's a cliche and an over used one at that.

-Erik-
  9. My review of ZERO DARK THIRTY, if anyone is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/01/24/zero- … e-desplat/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorEnry
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013 edited
    Hi to everybody dear friends!
    I'm Enrico, a new Italian comer here to this very good website.
    I'm a collector of lots of CDs soundtrack (I've around 130/140 CDs, but consider that I'm just 21 years old) and I'm a big fan of Alexandre Desplat (I got almost everything composed by him from 2000 to nowday).

So, I wonder why there were just so few reviews in this website about Desplat (but I found also few reviews of John Williams as well).
    I love to hear music whil reading reviews.

I'm so sorry for my poor English, I hope that you can apologize myself!

Regards

Enry