• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013 edited
    He's scoring a new (American) reboot of Godzilla according to the film's website:

http://www.legendary.com/films/godzilla

How utterly random and delightful!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013 edited
    What?
    WHAT?
    WHAT?

F*ck's sake!
    angry

Quite unhappy with this.
    Desplat is OK (although I'm not a fan), but have him score a massive monster movie?
    URGH!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013
    Desplat is brilliant! His Harry Potter scores are ample proof that he's capable of providing a big, dramatic sound for a Godzilla movie. Assuming he remains on this project, I for one can't wait to hear a Desplat Godzilla score. (And I am under no illusions it will sound like Arnold's score - I'm just excited that we'll hear a Desplatzilla score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can hear it now: tortured low strings and introspective motifs all over the place.
    sad
    I am NOT optimistic.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I'm with Steven here. He's right.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mark ye: I shall be proven right.
    And there will be great wailing and gnashing of teeth upon the land.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Mark ye: I shall be proven right.
    And there will be great wailing and gnashing of teeth upon the land.

Jesaja? Jeremia? Tolkien?
  3. It doesn't exactly seem like a natural pick to me either. Desplat's music always strikes me as restrained; even in his big fantasy stuff I never really feel like he goes all out and over-the-top the way, say, a David Arnold or a Michael Giacchino or a John Powell can. And surely that's practically a requirement for a Godzilla movie. Hiring Desplat and his light touch just seems way off base to me. slant
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    He's scoring a new (American) reboot of Godzilla according to the film's website:

What an intriguing assignement!!! shocked Count me in! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013
    I don't really like Desplat in any form or shape, but he's at his most boring when he's doing action. The HARRY POTTERs are basically an ostinato-fest that's going nowhere fast. So no -- I have zero excitement for this. But the film I might enjoy. I'm one of the few who liked Emmerich's GODZILLA, and don't really like the old Japanese stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Umm, I have to disappoint you, they do have intentions to revert to some of the original ideas.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Umm, I have to disappoint you, they do have intentions to revert to some of the original ideas.

That's fine, as long as it's done within a modern aesthetic and with up-to-date production values.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Martijn wrote
    I can hear it now: tortured low strings and introspective motifs all over the place.
    sad
    I am NOT optimistic.

I don't think any film has seen the story from Godzilla's point of view: misunderstood reptile, miles from home, no-one loves him. Desplat seems the ideal choice.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    Excellent!
  6. Southall wrote

Awesome news. I wonder if he will give any homage to Ifukube.
  7. This looks like a [last minute rescoring] job for Steve Jablonsky!

wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Or Brian Tyler.

Speaking of which, he'd have been a much better choice for Transformers.

Anyway, back to the point - I'm curious to hear what Desplat does, but he'd have been far, far down my list of people I'd have thought would have scored this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013 edited
    Thor's not interested!? Even better! Now I really can't wait! cheesy
  8. Thor wrote
    I don't really like Desplat in any form or shape, but he's at his most boring when he's doing action. The HARRY POTTERs are basically an ostinato-fest that's going nowhere fast. So no -- I have zero excitement for this. But the film I might enjoy. I'm one of the few who liked Emmerich's GODZILLA, and don't really like the old Japanese stuff.

I adore the Emmerich film too, utterly enjoyable, amusing and fun. I'm sure the reboot will be much darker and more serious (like the recent Man of Steel). For the music, have honestly no idea what to expect.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Probably dark and serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It has Bryan Cranston, therefore should be good. I won't even be mad if there's no giant lizard in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

That sounds like me when I have a sun tan.
  9. Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

That sounds like me when I have a sun tan.

It rather sounds like when you have a sun burn.
  10. Thor wrote
    That's fine, as long as it's done within a modern aesthetic and with up-to-date production values.

I'm pretty sure I read something about a guy in a rubber suit...

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    sad
    I am NOT optimistic.

I don't think any film has seen the story from Godzilla's point of view: misunderstood reptile, miles from home, no-one loves him. Desplat seems the ideal choice.

Indeed. I'm not count me in with Martijn and Thor and everyone that thinks this is a bad idea. On the other hand, I guess I would have expected this to be scored by one of Zimmer's minions, so it couldn't be much worse than that. Could it?

Anthony wrote
    It has Bryan Cranston, therefore should be good. I won't even be mad if there's no giant lizard in it.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    Anthony wrote

Cranston is playing the giant lizard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    He's no stranger to playing giant lizards.
  11. My review of PHILOMENA, for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/11/27/philo … e-desplat/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014 edited
    Not sure that everyone has seen the news that Jim posted in the Concerts thread, but there'll be a Desplat concert in December at the Barbican with the LSO. On a Thursday. face-palm-mt
    http://lso.co.uk/lso-on-film-the-music- … re-desplat
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
    Hmm, tempting. Very tempting. I assume he won't be there himself?