• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "Reign of Fire" isn't the ultra thing it's made out to be, Arnold is overrated and boring in his big scores, Joel can't give the score the deep viceral nature Yared displayed in parts of "Troy", and Goldenthal will likely never score another movie that isn't his wifes' (aside from maybe another Mann film).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    Arnold is overrated and boring in his big scores

Leave. Now. moon

( biggrin wink )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony

*Investigating*

The guy claims he got it off Powell himself...so...let's see...
  2. Never!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    "Reign of Fire" isn't the ultra thing it's made out to be, Arnold is overrated and boring in his big scores, Joel can't give the score the deep viceral nature Yared displayed in parts of "Troy", and Goldenthal will likely never score another movie that isn't his wifes' (aside from maybe another Mann film).

Who said anything about Reign of Fire... which kicks ass BTW. Shearmur has on main occasion proven that he can write big, themetic, dramatic and emotional music that would serve a Conan film very well.

As for Arnold... his big scores are simply magnificent - again containing exciting, thematic, emotional material that would fit with a Conan picture.

Joel has written some great scores. If you listen to Kull The Conqueror you will hear that he would be perfect for a Conan picture - without the drum kit of course!

Your Goldenthal comment is rubbish!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Goldenthal suffered an injury that we are lucky still leaves him to compose at all. He's just goign to fade out like Brad Fiedel. Don't like it, but that's seems to be the sad truth.

I have "Kull The Conqueror".
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    justin boggan wrote
    Goldenthal suffered an injury that we are lucky still leaves him to compose at all.

Which was?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    Both, 3rd Bourne movie and its score. Movie put me into sleep, score put me on the stop button after lalf the tracks.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Both, 3rd Bourne movie and its score. Movie put me into sleep, score put me on the stop button after lalf the tracks.

Really? In terms of score for me it goes 2, 1, 3, and in terms of movie it does 2, 3, 1.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Goldenthal suffered an injury that we are lucky still leaves him to compose at all. He's just goign to fade out like Brad Fiedel. Don't like it, but that's seems to be the sad truth.

I know about the head injury but I'm sure he will be back scoring films one of these days... and not just for his wife or Mann. If he has a passion for what he does he will want to continue with it as soon as he is 100%.

And if you have Kull, then you know what I'm talking about!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Back in 2004 he fell backwards in a chair at diner, cracked his head open, and injured his brain. He lost his ability to speak, which he later regained. Who knows what else he may be suffering from because of the injury.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Goldenthal suffered an injury that we are lucky still leaves him to compose at all. He's just goign to fade out like Brad Fiedel. Don't like it, but that's seems to be the sad truth.

I know about the head injury but I'm sure he will be back scoring films one of these days... and not just for his wife or Mann. If he has a passion for what he does he will want to continue with it as soon as he is 100%.

And if you have Kull, then you know what I'm talking about!

-Erik-

I'd rate Goldenthal in the top-5 places of the current film score composers. All the way up there and he has done more than enough to prove it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Goldenthal suffered an injury that we are lucky still leaves him to compose at all.

Which was?

Apparently fell asleep at his kitchen table writing his Grendel opera, fell off his chair and banged his head. If I can remember he lost the ability to speak but managed to regain it by singing his lyrics for the opera. BTW, he FINISHED the opera!!!

He'll be back!

-Erik-
  5. Also, his walking away from film scores was due to the fact that he was heavily concentrated on his commissioned opera, Grendel.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    Is it "The Bourne Identity" from The Bourne Identity? wink

It's not. The piece sounds kinda like a generic take on the Bourne string motif with percussions added in.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lp wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Is it "The Bourne Identity" from The Bourne Identity? wink

It's not. The piece sounds kinda like a generic take on the Bourne string motif with percussions added in.

See above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

And X-Men III wasn't a big, epic orchestral score?

-Erik-

X-Men 3 was a big orchestral take on an Elfman score so it doesn't count. I want a John Powell score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

And X-Men III wasn't a big, epic orchestral score?

-Erik-

X-Men 3 was a big orchestral take on an Elfman score so it doesn't count. I want a John Powell score.

Bah! Sure, Elfman's influences we were there but there a lot more to it then that!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

Bah! Sure, Elfman's influences we were there but there a lot more to it then that!

-Erik-

The best moment in the score (The Phoenix Arises) was RUINED by the rampant Elfmanisms (the mega-awesome retarded brass triplets), so I can't even listen to it all the way through anymore. The theme is gorgeous, however, which then only reaffirm my belief that John Powell can write good themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The best moment in the score (The Phoenix Arises) was RUINED by the rampant Elfmanisms (the mega-awesome retarded brass triplets), so I can't even listen to it all the way through anymore. The theme is gorgeous, however, which then only reaffirm my belief that John Powell can write good themes.

Well, those brass triplets don't belong to Elfman. I've heard many composers write like that before Elfman. Hell, I'd say John Williams is the king of triplets.

I for one absolutely love the chaos that Powell created for the Phoenix moments... and in the action material. I love the trumpets, horns, woodwinds all echoing each other over Phoenix's theme. It perfectly matched what's going on in the "Dark Phoenix's Tragedy" scene. There the beauty and darkness of the Phoenix while all hell is breaking loose in the house! I think it's absolutely fantastic and some of the best music Powell has ever written!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    I for one absolutely love the chaos that Powell created for the Phoenix moments... and in the action material. I love the trumpets, horns, woodwinds all echoing each other over Phoenix's theme. It perfectly matched what's going on in the "Dark Phoenix's Tragedy" scene. There the beauty and darkness of the Phoenix while all hell is breaking loose in the house! I think it's absolutely fantastic and some of the best music Powell has ever written!

-Erik-

Wow, so many posts while I was away. I´ve missed the party! crazy tongue

Anyway I TOTALLY agree with this quote Erik. Just a little correction: IMO, "it's absolutely fantastic and the best music Powell has ever written!".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well it is, for many other people as well i believe. Apart from a couple of bombast tracks, the rest is on auto pilot, when you take into consideration Powell's general body of work. I'd take PAYCHECK - the whole of it, every single note, a thousand times and any day over the generic 3/4 of X-MEN III.

I actually agree with you: I'd take about 90% of Paycheck over most moments in X3, but that's not fair. It's because Paycheck is so freakishly brilliant. It's like comparing The Empire Strikes Back to The River. X3 may not be Powell's best score but still great fun for me. The last segment of the score, which is an uninterrupted 20-minutes suite, is worth it, alone.

And about Conan: I think a great remake could be done, but.... do we need one??? That's the biggest problem with Hollywood remakes: making them when they're not needed. If Disney can bring back some of its old baggage into theaters, why can't it be done with Conan? Simply re-release Conan the Barbarian in theaters and call it a day. Of course that'd never happen, but I'm just dreaming in colours here.

NP: Wanted, Danny Elfman
    From a first listening seems extremely generic Elfman stuff. I've actually always rejected the "Elfman sound" for its own sake: it works for me only when supplemented with a great set of themes, like in Batman Returns. When used by itself without strong thematic material, like in Spider-Man, I kinda get off the train. Spider-Man 2 had more to latch onto though.

Comment on my earlier playing of Invaders from Mars: looks like I spoke way too fast. The lovely themes and Goldsmithian action lasted all of 13 minutes. The entire rest of the 120-minute runtime was electronic atonal stuff that you wouldn't exactly play at your wedding. Yich... not sure if this was so worth it after all.

Thanks for the explanation on Goldenthal. Being a huge fan I was wondering why he hadn't scored anything in years. Very shocked to hear about his accident, but to glad to know he's still with us and hopeful for a comeback.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: Wanted, Danny Elfman

This isn't now playing. tongue But good on you for listening to another epic score! beer
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    He wouldn't be my first choice, but I bet Bruce Broughton could compose an excellent score for a new Conan movie.
  6. He definitely would.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Oops, why did I put a NP comment in the John Powell thread??? I noticed my own goof myself, but thanks for the slap on the fingers anyways Anthony. I'll be more careful where I point that Elfman.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    Hi-res clips from BOLT (with score)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/bolt/

It's no longer demo tracks. cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008 edited
    I hope Disney are sensible enough to give that a decent release. It sounds like a pretty good Powell score (even if not much else.)

Then again, I have been waiting for another pretty good Powell score for quite a long time... wink

Miya, do you have the link do the previous clip with the demo music in? I want to compare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008 edited
    Here you are smile
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809812763/video/9813762

And look at this!!
    http://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Original-Sou … amp;sr=1-1

There is no word of "inspired by" or "Miley Cyrus"... It just says

ORIGINAL SCORE COMPOSED BY JOHN POWELL !!

punk punk punk punk biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    Great news!