• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013
    My thoughts exactly .KK. slant
    Not quite as tactful (and tasteful) as an interview with John Williams!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013 edited
    biggrin

He's not shy on his self-loathing isn't he?

I am reminded so much of Dirk Bogarde (for the younglings here: a moderately famous and much-accoladed British actor from the fifties and sixties) who always got thoroughly annoyed with people asking him about the joys of acting, stating "it's just a job. I don't particularly enjoy it. I can't wait until I can retire and won't have to bother again.".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013
    Some bits of that interview made me laugh out loud (which I believe was the intent), and then other bits made me cringe... which also may have been the intent? Sounds like an interview from a guy who doesn't like interviews.

At any rate I found his comment "I just threw in a serious bit to see if you were still concentrating" encouraging in the face of his offhand remarks about how content he is with not writing anything.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013 edited
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    .KK wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    New interview with Powell:

http://www.spitfireaudio.com/category/features

That's an...unusual interview. I couldn't tell where the jokes stopped, if at all. You don't see a lot of interviews with Powell...maybe this is why. dizzy

But I'm not sure I agree with his sentiments on film music at the very end there...

I still don't quite buy that interview...must be some kind of prank or something. I just can't imagine a professional speaking like that in an interview.

Powell always seemed like a nice guy too...

It doesn't come across as a prank or 'made up'. Everyone has good and bad days and maybe he was caught on a weary day where he'd had enough....or maybe it's that we can't hear the tones and inflections in his voice that may have meant the interview was more light-hearted and less rude than it seems to come across?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or maybe he's just totally serious.
    Why not?

Many people do a job they don't particularly enjoy, and don't particularly see the benefit of.
    It just pays the bills.
    Why should this be different with composers?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Why not?

Many people do a job they don't particularly enjoy, and don't particularly see the benefit of.
    It just pays the bills.

That as well, who knows besides himself?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Yeah, maybe. It's just hard to reconcile such carefully crafted, bristling-with-energy (and IMHO enjoyable) music being created by someone who doesn't enjoy it. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Why not?

It just pays the bills.

Wise words.

With Powell, it's kinda obvious too, post-Dragon, score-wise wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013 edited
    ...Timmer i love your new signature biggrin
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Martijn wrote
    Why not?

It just pays the bills.

Why would anyone go into the music-making business if they didn't enjoy it, especially film-scoring, which is notoriously difficult to break into? You might as well just seek out a standard 9-5 if the constant rejection isn't for you (and this applies to all artists).

Powell's problem is that he's gotten typecast into doing those animated films and he's getting bored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wasn't too difficult to get into when you have the Z connections wink Also, $$$
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    At least he's honest wink

SA You have been writing film scores for animation, among other things, for many years now – how do you keep your approach and your scores sounding so fresh with each new picture? (...)

JP Apparently I don’t. And apparently they aren’t.

biggrin
  1. Admitting it is the first step. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Demetris wrote
    With Powell, it's kinda obvious too, post-Dragon, score-wise wink

Uh, Kung Fu Panda 2 and Mars Needs Moms were definitely not the work of a composer on autopilot....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013 edited

SA If there is one piece of wisdom you would like to pass on to aspiring composers what would that be?

JP Take the opportunity to write music VERY seriously. It’s taken a lot of other people a lot of work, talent and energy to allow you to sit there at a computer, ripping off the temp.

But don’t take yourself too seriously. After all, you are just sitting there at a computer, ripping off the temp. It’s not exactly art now, is it. For fucks sake you’re a “film” composer….

I really like this guy. biggrin And Steven, he's an atheist too wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013
    Demetris wrote

Hans mentioned that this is pretty much John Powell. He doesn't take himself very seriously, though I do believe he does enjoy what he does. I doubt anyone would stick with film scoring and the stress if they didn't really dig it on some level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote

SA If there is one piece of wisdom you would like to pass on to aspiring composers what would that be?

JP Take the opportunity to write music VERY seriously. It’s taken a lot of other people a lot of work, talent and energy to allow you to sit there at a computer, ripping off the temp.

But don’t take yourself too seriously. After all, you are just sitting there at a computer, ripping off the temp. It’s not exactly art now, is it. For fucks sake you’re a “film” composer….

I really like this guy. biggrin And Steven, he's an atheist too wink

Can you smell what the British bloke is cooking? Enjoyable interview for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not taking one's self too seriously is a great virtue to have; i wish more people had it too, the world problems would be greatly diminished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Demetris wrote

Hans mentioned that this is pretty much John Powell. He doesn't take himself very seriously, though I do believe he does enjoy what he does. I doubt anyone would stick with film scoring and the stress if they didn't really dig it on some level.

I'm sure that's right, but there are lots of people around who do jobs they don't really like just because they do like the money that comes with them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    Demetris wrote

I'm sure that's right, but there are lots of people around who do jobs they don't really like just because they do like the money that comes with them.

Gosh, yeah, there's some oldies here who's just hanging around and collect checks and probably will never be let go because of their legacy knowledge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm feeling the lack of upcoming Powell scores pretty hard right now. For a long time there's been at least one to look forward to every summer. I hope he comes back fresh and inspired, because otherwise I'd still probably enjoy more rehashed stale Ice Age and Dr. Seuss scores more than most of the rest of the summer's output.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Scribe wrote
    I'm feeling the lack of upcoming Powell scores pretty hard right now. For a long time there's been at least one to look forward to every summer. I hope he comes back fresh and inspired, because otherwise I'd still probably enjoy more rehashed stale Ice Age and Dr. Seuss scores more than most of the rest of the summer's output.

I know. I mean, I'm fully aware that Lorax and Continental Drift aren't top notch Powell by any means...and yet when I look at iTunes I see that "Thneedville Chase" from the former somehow ended up being one of my five most played cues of 2012. There's just something about his music that keeps me coming back (and I doubt it would have such a "hook" if the guy who was writing it was only in it for a paycheck), and it just feels weird not to have anything of his to look forward to. Hell, there's a Paul Greengrass movie coming out this year with no Powell score...it's just weird. freezing

Hopefully Henry Jackman can at least fill the gap a little bit, both on Captain Phillips and also here's hoping he delivers a decent Powell-proxy score for Turbo the way he already has for Puss in Boots and Wreck-it Ralph. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Paul Greengras' latest is scored by whom, btw?

Also, Jackman is awesome, when they let him; it doesn't happen much.

I miss the days Powell wrote like in STOP LOSS or UNITED 93 to be frank; i am tired of the endless banging for animated features. I want him to invent himself, like he did with those 2 cases.
  4. Demetris wrote

That's the CAPTAIN PHILIPS movie. Henry Jackman is scoring it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Jon, didn't know about this! beer
  5. Demetris wrote

Also, Jackman is awesome, when they let him; it doesn't happen much.

I miss the days Powell wrote like in STOP LOSS or UNITED 93 to be frank; i am tired of the endless banging for animated features. I want him to invent himself, like he did with those 2 cases.

But the "endless banging" (confused) is so much more entertaining than those two scores! I mean, I love "The End" and "The Greatest Tragedy", but other than that I find both of them waaaay too subtle for my taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you seen the films, united 93 and stop loss?
  6. Demetris wrote
    Have you seen the films, united 93 and stop loss?

Can't say I have; but I listen to scores as albums. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i rest my case wink United 93 and stop loss are such emotionally charged and perfectly shot movies, Powell only elevates them greatly. Do yourself a favor and watch those with a good sound system, esp.United 93, and then we talk again.