• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    If you don't know the exact cruelty and nature of something like that and which some people do, then it's easier to defend them from the armchair, right?

I refer my right honourable friend to the answer I gave some moments ago (with the emphasis on "a completely different thesis", as we have now exchanged the "what" question for the completely different "how" question)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, EXCUSE me, what are we discussing all day here? Don't you think that the HOW affects the WHAT AND WHY of the whole thing and that the two are strongly connected with one another? How did you think they slaughter the pets?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, EXCUSE me, what are we discussing all day here?

"Can you put a moral value on killing and eating animals that may be perceived as pets in some cultures?"

Don't you think that the HOW affects the WHAT AND WHY of the whole thing?

While there is a relationship between the questions, it isn't (necessarily) causal.
    My reaction would be exactly the same had we been talking about cows.

Is it OK to kill cows for food?
    - Sure
    Is it OK to torture them for hours on end, prolonging their agony beyond endurance or measure?
    - Not even close.

Geez, D., this is Logic 101.
    I know this is an emotional issue for you, but surely this is selfevident?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPIsTKpAoE4
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hee! biggrin

No worries, though.
    I'm not riled up at all.
    Slightly exasperated maybe, but not annoyed with anyone. kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, you're saying this as well?

It's OK to kill cats and dogs for food since they're not being tortured ?

I'd appreciate a direct answer with a few words. It's a simple question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I refer my right honourable friend to the answer I gave some moments ago.

I'm honestly not contradicting myself, OR changing my point, D. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

I read that the first time. You're avoiding a direct answer in a sideways, swart manner.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u-I0D9ReqI
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Hee! biggrin

No worries, though.
    I'm not riled up at all.
    Slightly exasperated maybe, but not annoyed with anyone. kiss beer

I feel your pain Martijn, I do.

(Isn't it nice to have someone say that? wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

I read that the first time. You're avoiding a direct answer in a sideways, swart manner.

I don't think I am? (avoiding, that is. Obviously I *am* smart! cool )
    But I'm not sure what the answer you are looking for is then?

OK, anyway, let me try and rephrase:

(1) I personally don't think eating cats or dogs is OK.

(1a) I'm also fully cognisant of the fact that this is a mere cultural preference, as there are apparently some cultures out there that do enjoy cat or dog meat.

(2) I don't think any culture accepts eating pets (I certainly don't personally, inasfar that wasn't clear from statement (1) already)

(2a) I accept however that the definition (or rather group extension) of a pet is not the same in every culture.
    Hence some cultures having no moral issues in treating what would be called pets in other cultures in a way that is abhorrent to us.

(3) Torture is never OK. In any culture. In any time. Period.

Hope this is more in the line of what you were expecting?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

No, I think yo'll find that's just your back.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

LOL biggrin

and seriously....sort it out Steven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

bounce kiss beer fireworks wine beer bounce punk kiss champagne fireworks
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I can deal with that pain much easier.
    Tunnel Vision arguments I cannot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    biggrin No, i am asking for his opinion on the subject matter.

Btw, i'd really like everyone to at least see the photos in this article you posted above. I didn't have the time to read it, but i've seen the photos. I've seen similar stuff in the past, it's not new to me but maybe it is for some people?

http://www.messybeast.com/eat-cats.htm

My opinion is that it's repulsive. Disgusting. But I have to say, I've seen some stuff about McDonald's "100% beef" hamburgers and the condition of the animals that make those - and of course the conditions of battery chickens, particularly in Eastern Europe - and they made me feel the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    So, you're saying this as well?

I'd appreciate a direct answer with a few words. It's a simple question.

I would not eat cats or dogs. But I am not from a culture that does.

I do eat cows and pigs. But there are cultures that do not.

Those people from the cultures who do not would find it disgusting that I eat cows and pigs, just as you find it disgusting that some people eat dogs and cats.

NOBODY eats people's pets, but you continue to put those words into our mouths as if that's what we're talking about, and I don't understand why you keep doing it,.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    you continue to put those words into our mouths

Well, rather that than cats and dogs. wink
  1. I have to say that my opinion is pretty much the same as Southall, Timmer, Martijn and others. I've eaten plenty of different meats in my time - from the usual beef, pork, lamb, chicken, duck and turkey, to goat and veal and venison and wild boar, game birds like goose and pheasant, to more exotic fare like kangaroo, alligator, buffalo, and ostrich. I've eaten frog legs and snails. I have eaten horse, once, in France, but I didn't care for the taste.

I have not eaten cat, or dog, or snake. Cats and dogs are pretty much considered a taboo meat in the UK, but I have absolutely no problem with the fact that in some cultures cat meat and dog meat is as commonplace as a pork chop or a beef burger. If I was in one of those countries and was offered cat or dog, I would probably try it. I have no moral issues with the fact that some people eat them. My only issue would to do with the fact that they were clean, and were not - as Martijn said - "tortured for hours on end, prolonging their agony beyond endurance or measure".

It's all just a matter of what part of the world you grew up in.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009
    Well said Jon.

I'd like to hear Ravi's take on this ( if he's willing? ) coming from India where the cow is a sacred animal.
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Cats and dogs which are bred specifically for food, in the same way that certain cows and pigs and sheep are bred for food - yes.

Cats and dogs which are kept as pets, domesticated and previously lived with a family in a home environment - no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009 edited
    3 pages of posts while I was sleeping for 6 hours, and no comment on my previous post? cry wink

Joking aside, I always wanted to exchange opinions on this issue with people with different cultural backgrounds.
    I don't have many social contacts in my offline life. Most of my friends are Japanese, belong to the same department (biology), or the same laboratory (animal ecology). And many of them have similar opinions to mine. So I thought this is a good chance to hear and give each other's opinions, in a mature and friendly way. beer

---
    Probably, what Jon simply said in his two posts above represents what I originally wanted to say:

Jon Broxton wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Cats and dogs which are bred specifically for food, in the same way that certain cows and pigs and sheep are bred for food - yes.

Cats and dogs which are kept as pets, domesticated and previously lived with a family in a home environment - no.

Also, as I said yesterday (your morning wink ), I'd like to comment on the historical backgrounds of dogs and cats, which Demetris' opinion seems to be based on. But other members didn't mention it so much, yet. I need a little more time to write about it. Please wait wave

P.S. So, nobody here have had a chance to visit MOS Burger in Japan? biggrin
    http://www.japaninyourpalm.com/Restaura … burger.htm
    (MOS don't use any dog meat for their hot dogs. wink )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry if i offended anyone, that was never my intention. My outburst was purely emotional and i thought it'd be evident to people who've known me so well through the years.

I don't have a problem with your beliefs, the way you see things nor your arguments. My main objection and this is where i believe i should end this, is that while i understand everything you're saying, i still cannot personally and in any possible way, differentiate cats and dogs as "pets" vs "animals who are bred and grown to be slaughtered as food in a certain culture".

You don't need to repeat any of your arguments, i've understood them since the first time you posted them each and every one of you, it's just that i've been trying to make you understand that i don't personally accept such a separation of terminology and morality when it comes to cats and dogs. My reasons are purely EMOTIONAL, maybe now you can accept it as such and stop accusing me of "tunnel-side vision" and crap like that.

Again, i am sorry if offended anyone, this was never my intention, especially towards people whom i consider dear friend of mine. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Wow, a lot has been written here. Too much to reply to.

One thing I missed in the whole argument is when cows, pigs and chicken are considered pets and then still are slaughtered for consumption. I'm not talking about the huge bio industry but about small farmers. Farm children love their rabbits, cows, goats and pigs, they even give them names. Still one day they end up on their plates.

Pets is perhaps not the right word, because their destination is clear from the beginning (and differs from the destination of a pet like cat or dog). Still the farmer can feel affection towards the animals. And some call their outside farm animals pets too.

I am not really making a point, I'm just wondering myself where the line is drawn, what a pet is, what affection towards an animal means...

By the way, I too think we should be more worried about the 'how' of killing animals. The conditions and the bio industry are quite horrible. The pig or cow at the small farm is probably best of. Lives the life of a pet, with good food and love and care.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am sorry if i offended anyone, that was never my intention. My outburst was purely emotional and i thought it'd be evident to people who've known me so well through the years.

We do know you well enough Demetris, but that should be no excuse for the way you express yourself at times. Emotion and passion should be endearing, not exasperating. Unfortunately you do put words into people's mouths and it takes a great deal of effort for to you to concede to another's point of view. Again, unfortunately, you've done it to me countless times whenever we get into one of these little arguments. (For example, me and Martijn have had a few disagreements in the past. But I like to think that we and other members that I respect equally communicate in such a way that does not escalate a nuclear fallout.)

If you had explained that your reasons are coming from a purely emotional perspective and that you fully understand the arguments explained in the first place, then perhaps Martijn and others would not have continued on with their points with such persistence. Matters like this deserve tact, which I believe you failed to show even when Martijn tried his best to uphold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You know, it's interesting to note that i've only had this kind of reactions from you people. It's a both a matter of personal character (i'm talking about me and how i express my beliefs) but also a matter of cultural differences as well as NOT FACING the other party physically, it's logical that such misunderstandings will occur.

For instance, i can understand the reactions you people carry here to my arguments and the manner i express them, but i never had a similar problem to any of my countless social interactions and similar placement of my arguments in discussions here, in Greece. I am not criticizing anyone and i think it's pretty ridiculous to think otherwise, i am rather making a general observation. Where i grew up and where i live, it's a rather used phenomenon for people to express their views openly, directly and even radically, like I find myself doing some times, and other people not actually being offended by the words. On the other hand and at the same time, i had numerous negative reactions to the way i express myself coming from people who are obviously not Greeks nor Cypriots. Most of the times those reactions are web-based though so that further reinforces my argument on the lack of physical interaction contributing to the negative side of things even more.

I am not saying i am right and you're wrong, i never do. It just hurts me that you, Steven, out of everyone else, seem (and i might be wrong here, so please excuse me if i am and perhaps explain me why i'm wrong) to be waiting around the corner to be insulted by something i'd say and jump down my throat with the usual argument of me being ignorant (and its variations) whilst i never direct any insults towards you or any of you here; if i've done such in the past without understanding it, please say so. It's like you, specifically, LOOK OUT to be offended by me. I mean everybody reads and replies to what i write, but rarely other people react the same way you do, they only do as such when i push too, as what happened with Martijn and on a lesser degree - Southall, here. And i don't blame them.

But i have difficulties understanding your position; you didn't participate in the discussion, but you still felt the need to jump down and throw something insulting about me and my arguments. And you've done it in the same fashion with other people and discussions as well, in the past, in this forum. I want to believe that you like to tease people and / or throw words and phrases to test their reactions, without that meaning you don't actually agree what you write.

Bottom-line: i am who i am; i accept everyone else, i never insult anyone on purpose or direct insults or accusations and other people seem to react in a similar way to my presence, light, teasing and humorous most of the times, except when i push, like here. You, on the other hand, seem 90% offended, annoyed or disturbed from my presence. Either i am doing something very wrong, or you have issues with me that you should tell me once and for all 'cause is getting quite tiring. I have nothing bitter against you nor do i want to or wish to. And this is where i want to end all this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    they only do as such when i push too, as what happened with Martijn and on a lesser degree - Southall, here. And i don't blame them.

Um?
    Wouldn't want to speak for James, but speaking purely for myself, I never got annoyed nor emotional.
    I think I even said so specifically.
    I never do.
    Only with annoying trolls on the board... and even that may take a while! dizzy

I was just honestly interested in what the point was were our opinions and definitions diverged.
    (For the record, I'm still not sure not entirely sure, but I gather it's at the "definition of pets" stage, where you will always see cats and dogs as pets and will not accept a culture not doing so. Is that right? At least then I get it. smile )

Bregje wrote
    Wow, a lot has been written here. Too much to reply to.

One thing I missed in the whole argument is when cows, pigs and chicken are considered pets and then still are slaughtered for consumption.

No, no: that point has been made by me and James quite early on: we don't think there is any culture that actually eats its pets, or indeed any animal one has a strong emotional attachment with. I gave the example of a fourteen-year old girl's horse.

I don't actually think slaughtering those does happen (unless the most dire economic circumstances would demand it).

Miya wrote
    P.S. So, nobody here have had a chance to visit MOS Burger in Japan? biggrin
    http://www.japaninyourpalm.com/Restaura … burger.htm
    (MOS don't use any dog meat for their hot dogs. wink )

Never been to Japan, Miya.
    Yet.
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    they only do as such when i push too, as what happened with Martijn and on a lesser degree - Southall, here. And i don't blame them.

Um?
    Wouldn't want to speak for James, but speaking purely for myself, I never got annoyed nor emotional.
    I think I even said so specifically.
    I never do.
    Only with annoying trolls on the board... and even that may take a while! dizzy

I was just honestly interested in what the point was were our opinions and definitions diverged.
    (For the record, I'm still not sure not entirely sure, but I gather it's at the "definition of pets" stage, where you will always see cats and dogs as pets and will not accept a culture not doing so. Is that right? At least then I get it. smile )

I wouldn't blame you if you did get offended smile

On your other question, yes, you can say so. I can accept many of the points you all raised, but i believe that everyone should STOP at cats and dogs, for the reasons i explained. Forget the word PETS, make that CATS AND DOGS. They are on a completely different level for me and i should have make it clearer right from the beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

But I DIDN'T!
    And I SAID I DIDN'T. GODDAMIT! angry

(unnecessary wink )

i believe that everyone should STOP at cats and dogs... Forget the word PETS, make that CATS AND DOGS. They are on a completely different level for me

Perfectly clear. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But I DIDN'T!
    And I SAID I DIDN'T. GODDAMIT! angry

(unnecessary wink )

i believe that everyone should STOP at cats and dogs... Forget the word PETS, make that CATS AND DOGS. They are on a completely different level for me

Perfectly clear. smile

AT LAST! punk kiss