• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008
    Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster says...

"speculation?......Bad! Baaaaaaad!"

"Hard fact?......Good! Gooooooooood!"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My expectations are still very low. I highly doubt this will be the Zimmer-JNH Batman score we originally wanted to hear when none of us had heard the first one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008 edited
    Woohoo! I was already very anxiously awaiting this release, but those tracktimes rock! This is going to be awesome!! punk I love (long) suites!!

Nautilus wrote
    with this, and his new orchestration he is doing what he always was trying to avoid: being a more traditional composer with traditional realeases.

I... can't follow that logic. How is a long release which ends with a 16 minute cue... a traditional release? confused I'd say his releases of +/- 50 minutes were more traditional. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    with this, and his new orchestration he is doing what he always was trying to avoid: being a more traditional composer with traditional realeases.

I... can't follow that logic.

You do realise who you just quoted, right? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Methinks the Harvey - Two Face track by JNH is gonna be one if the top badass tracks of the year! biggrin

Take away the word "ass" and I agree with you wholeheartedly. wink

However, I really hope this score surprises me but I'm not giving it much hope. I still can't stomach the AWFUL Batman Begins.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Methinks the Harvey - Two Face track by JNH is gonna be one if the top badass tracks of the year! biggrin

However, I really hope this score surprises me but I'm not giving it much hope. I still can't stomach the AWFUL Batman Begins.

-Erik-

I used to enjoy Batman Begins... that is until I realised most other scores are much better. (Although I have to be honest and say I enjoy the end credits on a guilty level. Only a little bit though. wink)

This new score I'm 90% certain will be just as bland. I blame Nolan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

I blame him too for picking the wrong composer - Zimmer. I wouldn't mind hearing a JNH solo score with his distinct sound without any Zimmer outside influence.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I blame him too for picking the wrong composer - Zimmer. I wouldn't mind hearing a JNH solo score with his distinct sound without any Zimmer outside influence.

-Erik-

I agree. JNH is much more suited for this film than Zimmer. Nolan is a truly excellent director, I just wish he would allow composers more freedom... slant (And we all know what JNH is capable of when a director lets him do his thang to his full potential, i.e. M. Night Shyamalan.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I agree. JNH is much more suited for this film than Zimmer. Nolan is a truly excellent director, I just wish he would allow composers more freedom... slant (And we all know what JNH is capable of when a director lets him do his thang to his full potential, i.e. M. Night Shyamalan.)

I disagree! Nolan is an excellent director for sure, but the way he picks and instructs his composers is a part of his style. Think of The Prestige, the brilliant use of so called 'bland' soundscapes, or Memento, in which emotion is expressed through ambiant music.

I think he's rather generous in the way he lets Zimmer and Howard use melodies and orchestra, but he'd never let Howard give full range (i.e.: stylish orchestra and themes) and frankly, I wouldn't want him to. It just wouldn't fit his style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Style schmhyle, a better score means a better film.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I still don't get why some people hate the Batman Begins score. Granted, it can't hold a candle to the works by Elfman, Walker and Goldenthal but I thought it did accentuate the film's mood and tone well. There are some sections in which I thought Zimmer and Howard should've taken the previous composers' routes in the quiet, suspense-laden sections of the film.

I'm not sure about the comments Zimmer has made regarding the two-tone Joker motif -- it seems really, really bad. But considering that Harvey Dent does play a major role in TDK, as well as Rachel Dawes, we'll get some more JNH goodness. The score itself should be interesting, I really do hope it earns its 77-minute running length.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I disagree! Nolan is an excellent director for sure, but the way he picks and instructs his composers is a part of his style. Think of The Prestige, the brilliant use of so called 'bland' soundscapes, or Memento, in which emotion is expressed through ambiant music.

I think he's rather generous in the way he lets Zimmer and Howard use melodies and orchestra, but he'd never let Howard give full range (i.e.: stylish orchestra and themes) and frankly, I wouldn't want him to. It just wouldn't fit his style.

I've said before that if that was the case then why employ two heavyweights like HZ & JNH? He should have just stayed with David Julyan.

Seems like he had his arm twisted into employing "names".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    But the impression I get from Zimmer is that Nolan didn't want Julyan to score Batman Begins and insisted on having him score the film and despite a year of debating, decide to do it with JNH. JNH wouldn't have been brought into the project if Zimmer hadn't insisted on it and if the two hadn't been such good friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote

We'll see how it is only after it comes out and ourselves listen to it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    BobdH wrote

Thank you. My thoughts exactly! Spared me the time to come up with them myself. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

sleep wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

sleep wink

Sleep all you want, it's still true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

sleep wink

Sleep all you want, it's still true.

I don't want to discuss if it's true or not, but this discussion is very a very old one.

I only can say one thing: Zimmer "experiments" and "style " ruined the first score for sure, but Im not very happy with Howard contribuitions either (the love theme is cold ).

And Im not sure Howard could compose something like The Happening or The Village for Batman Begins, probably even without ZImmer influence, Howard could have composed something with the texture of "the interpreter" or "Collateral"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My sixth sense says this is gonna be much better than BB. Let's see how much it's true! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    My sixth sense says this is gonna be much better than BB. Let's see how much it's true! cheesy

then our sixth senses are in the same line!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    And this also looks like the longest Zimmer score release till date! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote

And even with it, we´ll want more once we´ve watched the film biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

And even with it, we´ll want more once we´ve watched the film biggrin

Naturally! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

I hope you are right!

I'll say no more on this subject and let the score speak for itself on release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Same here! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    I preordered the limited edition. It probably won't have any extra music, but I just dig the cover more than the rather bland artwork for the jewel case. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008 edited
    Matt C wrote
    I preordered the limited edition. It probably won't have any extra music, but I just dig the cover more than the rather bland artwork for the jewel case. cool

They're pretty much the same, except the 'limited edition' has a Batbike instead of a Batman.

confused

(And they're both awesome if you ask me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Those cd covers / posters are awesome. I saw the large 3d cardbox model posters last night at the cinema and got really excited about them. When is the movie released btw?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    Release dates according to imdb:
    USA 18 July 2008
    BeNelux: 23-24 July 2008
    UK 25 July 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Tuuut.

I concur.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn