• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008 edited
    NP: Amazing Grace - David Arnold

I'll plainly admit that this is not my favorite score. Aside from the score to Stargate, this is the only other score by David Arnold that I currently own. I saw the movie a few months after I got the score, and loved it! The score is nothing special, but does its job very well. Seeing the movie renewed my interest in the music, and I eagerly rushed back to listen to it and sync it back onto my iPod. Much of the score is comprised of soft string, choir, and piano music, as well as a bit of an ethnic sound. The main theme is quite good, and is hinted at many times throughout the score, though it is played in its full glory in Cheat the Law and Triumph (probably the main reason I like both those tracks)

Favorite tracks:

11. We Have Hope
    19. Cheat the Law
    21. Somethings Up
    24. Triumph
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    Amazing Grace is one of those scores that takes the right mood, and an appreciation for subtlety. I think its absolutely lovely.

Was Playing:

Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer & Powell)
    The recording quality is amazing, I am just realizing that after listening to the actual CD on my 5.1 system. Much broader, fuller, deeper, richer sound than most Team Zimmer scores. I also saw the film twice, and it works pretty well in there too.

Iron Man (Ramin Djawadi)
    Playing it on my 5.1 system for the first time, I actually enjoyed it immensely for the first time as well. Good headbanging music tongue

About to play:
    The Happening (James Newton Howard and Kelvin Wheelbarrow)
    Now for some REAL music smile first time hearing it outside the film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Timmer wrote
    Michael, I've never read anything by Tolkien and to be honest I'm unlikely to ever do. I rarely read that kind of fantasy anymore.

I'd never say never but....?

Fair enough... obviously these fantasy films are delivering something worth watching that isn't on the page. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: LoTR - The Return of The King Complete Recordings - Howard Shore

I was WAITING and WAITING for this since 2003, what an amazing experience! I, for one, never get bored listening to even one single track on any discs. Discs 3 and 4 are pure magic! punk The OST is probably the worst of all three (except the awesome White Tree track) and this release does the masterpiece justice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    It is still on my wantlist too. I have the first two complete recordings and of course they aren't really complete without part three... And from what I've heard it's the best one too.

NP: The Water Horse - James Newton Howard
    A very cute score that makes for excellent background listening. I even like the song.
    Very entertaining and some parts are really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Signs is one of my All time favourite scores, But The Village and Snow Falling On Cedars too.

NP: Secret of Sahara (Zimmer's Hero)

A really inventive score. This trumpets, this flutes, this guitars touch and this vocals.

A weird listening experience.
  2. Harry Gregson-Williams - The Number 23

I didn't know really what to listen... Random stuff... The Number 23 !

I hadn't listened to it for ages... More than a year ago...

I like it, more than a year ago...

"Elegant electronic score" borrowing things from Batman Begins (it's a bit TOO obvious slant ), Gladiator (yeah it does !) and Veronica Guerin, plus lots of samples from Metal Gear Solid 3...

It's not a hard listen like other boring electronic scores...

For the little story (typical French expression, I don't know AT ALL if it works in English biggrin ), the "Revelation sequence", at the nearly end of the film, contains a beautiful "Thin Red Line Inspired" piece of music, not contained in the OST...

Why ? Because this is a temp track from... Light It Up !!! Written by... HGW of course !!biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - gone baby gone

Very touching and fragile score, moody with the usual HGW orchestration and string arrangements but with an added refinery we don't usually meet in his work. Deeply moving listen for a surprisingly good movie, recommended.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Paperhouse (Hans Zimmer)
    One of those early Zimmer scores I just can´t stand nowadays. My first listen and hopefully it´s been my last one.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - gone baby gone

Very touching and fragile score, moody with the usual HGW orchestration and string arrangements but with an added refinery we don't usually meet in his work. Deeply moving listen for a surprisingly good movie, recommended.

Yeah, it's a really nice score. My favourite track is Lionel, I don't know why, it's just got that great sense of movement and seriousness which always reminds me of Spy Game.

The exams are over. What's the best score to round the term off?

NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

The Egg Travels and The Courtship - marvellously uplifting!

punk
  3. NP: Marco Polo - Ennio Morricone

punk Maybe Morricone's best score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Marco Polo - Ennio Morricone

yeeeees! With secret of the sahara!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

yeeeees! With secret of the sahara!

I don't know... tough to beat The Good The Bad and the Ugly and The Mission. However, Marco Polo and Sahara are both indeed outstanding.

NP: Primal - Paul Arnold and Andrew Barnabas

This is a wonderful fantasy video game score brimming with majestic themes and gothic soundscapes. The City of Prague sounds surprisingly good. And the female solo vocal during the Opening Title and Jen Meets Arella is easily the highlight of this score. What I also love about the score is how each of the four worlds in the game get there own distinct sound. It's as if four separate scores were written for this game. We get lush melodies for Aquis while another world get a more primitive, percussive sound. Middle Eastern influences are also present while the world of Aetha gets a more classical, distinguished sound. It's quite remarkable how all of these four distinct styles and sounds combine to create one incredible work. Highly recommended.

I've now moved onto what I consider to be one of Michael Giacchino's top 3 scores...

Secret Weapons Over Normandy

Those still on the fence about Michael and his abilities need to give this one a listen... especially the last three tracks. This score, IMHO, out ranks most of the stuff written for film these days. Absolutely brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions Suites - Don Davis

Still playing my Best of the 2000's playlist and I'm currently get knocked on my ass by Don Davis' absolutely incredible music from the two Matrix sequels. While the films didn't live up to the original, Davis' scores did. The Davis/Juno Reactor collaboration on this two action highlights was a match made in heaven. The driving techno over top of Davis' brilliant orchestrations is simply mind blowing. The two no doubt worked closely together to make sure that every aspect of their particular craft worked together and not against each other. For instance, in "Mona Lisa Overdrive," Davis' strings race over top of Reactor's electronic drum loops in perfect harmony.

Another highlight is "Neo Miraculous" which is heard near the end of the The Matrix Reloaded suite. I can't say anything that will do this brilliant track justice. Again, its film music at its all time best. Gigantic orchestra and choir combining to create one of the most emotional and powerful cues of the decade. And the hint at the Neo/Trinity love theme... gorgeous! I love that Davis waited until the last film to fully develop that theme.

And then we get into Revolutions where I wasn't as impressed as I was with Reloaded but the last 4 tracks on the album are up there with the best of the best in the trilogy. And I might be alone in saying this but I simply dig Navras. The combo of Indian music and lyrics, Juno Reactor's techno and Neodammerung is jaw dropping.

After the Matrix comes suites from Angels in America, Birth, Blizzard and Sky Captain.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote

It's brilliant Stefan, but his best?

Not sure where to start with a man who's written so many hundreds of scores? dizzy wink

NP : ON DEADLY GROUND - Basil Poledouris

Not one of Basil's best but it's not very long and it's worth the purchase alone for the brilliant The Journey, you rarely get tracks as mystical and spiritually uplifting as this, in fact, I intend to play that particular track again as soon as the album ends. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Classic FM At The Movies Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

This is a 3 CD set that my mate at uni bought for me, and it's fantastic compilation of film music. There's some fine recordings of well-known film themes here, and some lesser known ones or ones that I haven't listened to that many times. So I made a playlist of all those I either hadn't heard before or rarely listened to and it makes a wonderful listen!:

Ladies In Lavender
    - Nigel Hess
    Out of Africa - John Barry
    Witness - Maurice Jarre
    The Stepford Wives - David Arnold
    Finding Neverland - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
    Girl With A Pearl Earring - Alexendre Desplat
    Arsène Lupin - Debbie Wiseman
    Stage Beauty - George Fenton
    Shakespeare In Love - Stephen Warbeck
    Oliver Twist - Rachel Portman
    Dangerous Moonlight - Richard Addinsell (my favourite of the lot)
    The English Patient - Gabriel Yared

All that makes one fine playlist, all brilliantly performed with excellent recordings.
    cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Classic FM At The Movies Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

This is a 3 CD set that my mate at uni bought for me, and it's fantastic compilation of film music. There's some fine recordings of well-known film themes here, and some lesser known ones or ones that I haven't listened to that many times. So I made a playlist of all those I either hadn't heard before or rarely listened to and it makes a wonderful listen!:

Ladies In Lavender
    - Nigel Hess
    Out of Africa - John Barry
    Witness - Maurice Jarre
    The Stepford Wives - David Arnold
    Finding Neverland - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
    Girl With A Pearl Earring - Alexendre Desplat
    Arsène Lupin - Debbie Wiseman
    Stage Beauty - George Fenton
    Shakespeare In Love - Stephen Warbeck
    Oliver Twist - Rachel Portman
    Dangerous Moonlight - Richard Addinsell (my favourite of the lot)
    The English Patient - Gabriel Yared

All that makes one fine playlist, all brilliantly performed with excellent recordings.
    cool

Addinsell's Dangerous Moonlight is your top pick?

Just when I thought you couldn't surprise me anymore you go ahead and show phenomenaly good taste!

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why, did you think I'd pick the David Arnold? biggrin

Barry's track (the one I was most familiar with from that playlist) is my second favourite of the bunch. Wonderful theme, and I saw it played live by the LSO which also made me love it even more.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Barry's track (the one I was most familiar with from that playlist) is my second favourite of the bunch. Wonderful theme, and I saw it played live by the LSO which also made me love it even more.

No, I thought you'd pick the Barry wink

Nah, it's just that the Addinsell track is very old and I doubt too many people here know it. Sorry if I came across as patronising, that wasn't my intention. smile

You should try and pick up Out of Africa, I often see it around for very cheap and worth it for the glorious Flying Over Africa alone. cool
  4. Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

It's brilliant Stefan, but his best?

Not sure where to start with a man who's written so many hundreds of scores? dizzy wink

I know a few of his scores (which is probably still only 1% of his output...) and I think he's never been better.

Of course, there are many other great Morricone scores like The Mission, his work for Sergio Leone, etc., but this is the only 2CD score I own that I can listen to in one session. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Nah, it's just that the Addinsell track is very old and I doubt too many people here know it. Sorry if I came across as patronising, that wasn't my intention. smile

You should try and pick up Out of Africa, I often see it around for very cheap and worth it for the glorious Flying Over Africa alone. cool

Not patronizing at all, I took it as a compliment. smile

Yes, I've been meaning to get that one for a while. McNeely or OST? What do you suggest?

Lust, Caution Alexendre Desplat

A very subtle, very beautiful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Could never get into that one... however, one Desplat that I absolutely adore and underrated back in 2004 was...

NP: Birth - Alexandre Desplat

Easily the best thing I've heard from the composer... but then again I haven't heard a lot of Desplat's earlier material. The was initially on my Top 10 of 2004 but after seeing the film I felt that it didn't have the same power in the movie as it did on CD. So, it slipped to 11th spot but I still consider it to be one of the finest scores I've heard. <-- I know... strange Jordi behavior... don't ask.

From the absolutely stunning "Prologue" to the bizzare ascending motif performed on the bells accompanied by harp, low strings and a synth "heartbeat" heard during "Under The Spell" and "Day Out"... it's a haunting, mesmerizing score that I seem to come back to a lot.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Not patronizing at all, I took it as a compliment. smile

Yes, I've been meaning to get that one for a while. McNeely or OST? What do you suggest?

Tough one! Ask a Barry fan to choose and he/she will say both!

The original has a fuller and richer sound and can be found cheaply ( brand new no less ) so it's a no-brainer really.

McNeely's is very good but for completist only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Edward Shearmur

Fantastic old school film music. The second best score of the decade! And that Manta Squadron Theme... goosebumps baby!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALAN SILVESTRI - Beowulf

i just ADORE this! Can't get enough of the bold action, the masculine at-your-face thematic approach, the choir and brass, the unstoppable melodic flow, no matter the lack of originality. A hugely enjoyable score the kind of which i seriously miss these days!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HIGHLANDER - Michael Kamen

A full score release complete with Queen's material too.....please!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    ALAN SILVESTRI - Beowulf

i just ADORE this! Can't get enough of the bold action, the masculine at-your-face thematic approach, the choir and brass, the unstoppable melodic flow, no matter the lack of originality. A hugely enjoyable score the kind of which i seriously miss these days!

110% agree with ya buddy! punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ALAN SILVESTRI - Beowulf

But still one of the worst of the Zemeckis/Silvestri collaboration which is why I can't rank it as high as you guys. I expected much more.

However, "The Seduction" is chilling.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ALAN SILVESTRI - Beowulf

But still one of the worst of the Zemeckis/Silvestri collaboration which is why I can't rank it as high as you guys. I expected much more.

-Erik-

Score-wise or movie-wise? 'Cause i found it VERY enjoyable all ways, i am really struggling to understand why you didn't like it mate; pool, old-fashioned fun (apart the cgi enhancements).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ALAN SILVESTRI - Beowulf

-Erik-

Score-wise or movie-wise? 'Cause i found it VERY enjoyable all ways, i am really struggling to understand why you didn't like it mate; pool, old-fashioned fun (apart the cgi enhancements).

The movie was a friggin' blast. No problems there... over the top fun! But the score is way below average when you compare it to other Zemeckis/Silvestri films. The only two lower would be Death Becomes Her and Romancing The Stone. You'd have to come up with a pretty darn convincing argument to suggest that Beowulf is better than The Back To The Future Trilogy, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Forrest Gump, Contact, What Lies Beneath, Cast Away and The Polar Express.

-Erik-