• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    ... and personally I stay away from iTunes as much as I can! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    ... and personally I stay away from iTunes as much as I can! wink

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Hanckok (powell)

That's what happen when you make top scores in your earlier years. Powell is not only a talented composer, he is a genius. but he has said a lot of things in the beggining, so now nothing is surprising from him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are we listening to the same score? confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote

It probably helps if you tell us what score it is you are listening. Then we might be able to awnser your question?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

If it is Hanckok, then yes. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008 edited
    NP: The Lord of the Rings-The Return of the King~Complete Recordings
    Really loud!I'm alone in the house and I'm rocking up the place!!!
    Do I have to say why I'm listening to it???!!!
    punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Stavroula wrote

Why are you listening to it? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

That's what happen when you make top scores in your earlier years. Powell is not only a talented composer, he is a genius. but he has said a lot of things in the beggining, so now nothing is surprising from him.

He said a lot of things in the beginning? You have a unique way with words. biggrin

I do see what you mean though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hancock John Powell

Most of the album meanders until we get to the last few tracks, 'Hollywood Blvd' and onwards. It really isn't anything new for Powell, but it's still the Powell most of us love. I'm a little undecided on this so far, but it's not a disappointment. (Although to be fair my expectations weren't high for this one.)

A cliche saying for a film music forum, but I'm guessing watching the film will help in appreciating this score more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Because this is one of the scores I'm completely in love with every single note,with every exceptional image it creates in my mind,with every shadder I feel each time the music turns me to a different direction.
    Are these reasons good enough? smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Because this is one of the scores I'm completely in love with every single note,with every exceptional image it creates in my mind,with every shadder I feel each time the music turns me to a different direction.

I think so. smile I wish I had the RotK Complete Recordings. sad All I have is one track from it, which I bought off iTunes. Really good music. Maybe sometime I'll get around to buying the whole thing.
  1. Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

He said a lot of things in the beginning? You have a unique way with words. biggrin

I can see the 'Powell is God' shirts at Ubeda now. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    The Happening JNH

Refreshingly intelligent film music. Thanks for the playlist Erik.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008 edited
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

I bought this from the iTunes store this afternoon. I must say, it's much better than I thought it would be! While I don't think it's my favorite soundtrack (but it's up there), this soundtrack has renewed my trust in John Williams as a composer. His music for Indy 4 is incredible! smile

Favorite tracks:

1. Raiders March
    3. The Adventures of Mutt
    4. Irina's Theme
    6. The Spell of the Skull
    10. The Jungle Chase
    19. Finale
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Hancock John Powell

Most of the album meanders until we get to the last few tracks, 'Hollywood Blvd' and onwards. It really isn't anything new for Powell, but it's still the Powell most of us love. I'm a little undecided on this so far, but it's not a disappointment. (Although to be fair my expectations weren't high for this one.)

A cliche saying for a film music forum, but I'm guessing watching the film will help in appreciating this score more.

If it's nothing new, what's it like? Paycheck, Jumper? What what are the shorter cues like? Tell me! I have two weeks left until I can even hear this. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Stavroula wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Totally agreed! It's my #1 favourite score right now, tied alongside Lion King. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hancock John Powell

If it's nothing new, what's it like? Paycheck, Jumper? What what are the shorter cues like? Tell me! I have two weeks left until I can even hear this. sad

It´s close, very close, to Jumper: as boring, uninspired and pointless. What a disappointment. Fun to listen to bits of Kung Fu Panda though.
    But I don´t blame Powell. In a short period of time he has delivered Horton, Kung Fu Panda, P.S. I Love You, Happy Feet and Bourne 3. Two misses (Jumper and Hancock) are acceptable. But maybe he should start being more selctive with his projects and not wasting his talent in projects like Hancock and the likes.

As for the short traks you mention Anthony, well, they are as pointless as the rest.

And just two little things that surprised me:
    1- Hancock has more unsubstancial mickey mousing than Horton or Kung Fu Panda.
    2- The 12 minute total of "Hollywood Blvd" + "Mortal" are such a waste of time that I was like crazy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Thomas Newman - Road to Perdition

Great, wonderfully dark score from the master of quirkiness. Great theme in Rock Island, 1931 is only a foreshadowing of great things to come. My favorite track is, for some reason, Meet Maguire. LOVE those pizzicati.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    The Happening JNH

Refreshingly intelligent film music. Thanks for the playlist Erik.

beer

Indeed, i am so glad you're enjoying it Steven and the choice of adjective is spot-on wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Newman - Road to Perdition

Great, wonderfully dark score from the master of quirkiness. Great theme in Rock Island, 1931 is only a foreshadowing of great things to come. My favorite track is, for some reason, Meet Maguire. LOVE those pizzicati.

My favourite track is Ghosts. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hancock John Powell

It´s close, very close, to Jumper: as boring, uninspired and pointless. What a disappointment.

THANK.YOU.

'Cause with the "score of the year" comments i've heard elsewhere, i though i was loosing it. I couldn't make it to a 2nd listen, a total mess.

Get down to listening to some true scores people wink Want a starting point? Look no far than the 2 posts above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

Anthony, they're plain Powell underscore, bleak weak and boring mickey-mousing with some snippets of the united 93 percussion thingys, some trumpets here and there, subtle mickey-mousing again and nothing from the nerve, vigor and spirit Kung Fu Panda and Horton's had. A real missed opportunity, no need to bother more with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino

Top stuff! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hancock John Powell

It´s close, very close, to Jumper: as boring, uninspired and pointless. What a disappointment.

THANK.YOU.

'Cause with the "score of the year" comments i've heard elsewhere, i though i was loosing it. I couldn't make it to a 2nd listen, a total mess.

Damn, I almost couldn´t finish my first listen. As Jordi would say, totally unfocused. So, moving on to...

NP The Oxford Crimes (Roque Baños)
    Getting ready for its performnce in Úbeda. A solid effort by Roque in a ground he never fails.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    NOUVELLE VAGUES DE GODARD à AUDIARD | the nouvelle vague league and desplat

Performed by the Traffic Quintet (also on Lust Caution I think), it offers some suites from the Nouvell Vague Movement in France. Scores from Delerue, Jarre, Duhamel, Morricone and Desplat himself. I especially like Un Héro Très Discret, what a fun and jaunty main theme, with fantastic writing for the quintet. The performane shines in Desplats scores I find. Dernier Tango à Paris of course has its great main theme but is also a highlight of this compilation.
    Kazoo
  3. NP: The Wind and the Lion - Jerry Goldsmith

A score for a hot summer day. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALAN SILVESTRi - Forest Gump

One of the most heartfelt scores of delicate beauty ever written with one of the most passionate main themes you'll hear in film music. So much passion, melody and spirit, a rare masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Anthony, they're plain Powell underscore, bleak weak and boring mickey-mousing with some snippets of the united 93 percussion thingys, some trumpets here and there, subtle mickey-mousing again and nothing from the nerve, vigor and spirit Kung Fu Panda and Horton's had. A real missed opportunity, no need to bother more with it.

Even the main theme is mediocre. I do prefer Jumper than Hanckok, at least Jumper had some interesting orchestrations.

I hate this blues, hammond and Organ sound for a black superhero.

NP:BackDraft

Why i didn't listen this score more frequently?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    ALAN SILVESTRi - Forest Gump

One of the most heartfelt scores of delicate beauty ever written with one of the most passionate main themes you'll hear in film music. So much passion, melody and spirit, a rare masterpiece.

Very well phrased darl!I couldn't agree more!So,
    NP:Forest Gump
    smile