• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008 edited
    NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

Every time I listen to it, I give "Be With You" the overture treatment. Always have to listen to it first, and then the complete score after that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Is [it] James Newton Howard Day or Something???

Yep.

LSH wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

The Egg Travels, Raptors/Stand Together and Breakout will forever remain in my top 10 JNH tracks' list!! punk

Awesome score! Full of many highlights.

Tracks like that are on my (imaginary, unwritten) Top Uplifting Cues Of All Time list. Whenever I feel down, all I have to do is put Dinosaur on and it helps instantly!

NP: The Postman -- James Newton Howard

cool

Good idea...

The Postman JNH

The main theme is one I play all too often on the piano. It's so simple, but sooo good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware

It didn't make much of an impression on the first listen but it's growing on me. Be With You is wonderful, as is the End Credits Suite - I love the mischievous, skittish action material!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008 edited
    Jim Ware wrote

It didn't make much of an impression on the first listen but it's growing on me. Be With You is wonderful, as is the End Credits Suite - I love the mischievous, skittish action material!

Try Erik's playlist for a better listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Also played Rozsa's PROVIDENCE and Arriagada's TIME REGAINED this morning while script writing. I suspect the dialogue from that section will be a bit too operatic as a result! wink

Arriagada's Le Temps Retrouve is lovely! Do you have Les Ames Fortes as well?

I do not! But I will now be looking for it, now that I it by name.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

wink

-Erik-

Your playlist seems to have been the hottest thing to hit film music this year. Maybe you should start a website: www.erikreorder.co.ca
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

wink

-Erik-

Your playlist seems to have been the hottest thing to hit film music this year. Maybe you should start a website: www.erikreorder.co.ca

I clicked on that link. It didn't work. You lied to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

wink

-Erik-

Yes, but then I would have to change my name to Thor!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ooh, burn! biggrin
  3. Someone should write a biography of Thor.

ODINSON: THE COMPLETE AND CHRONOLOGICAL ACCOUNT

biggrin

NP: Becoming Collette (John Scott)

This may be a real chick flick, but John Scott is my kind of film composer. What a theme!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2008 edited
    I've actually been listening to quite a bit of varied stuff on holiday so far:

Jumper - this has grown on me immensley, but it's still nothing special.

The Happenning - The suspense cues are by far the best - I was preparing to s**t myself during ''My Weapon Is My Friend''.

MI3 - No explanation needed - some raw, aggressive action. The end of ''Bridge Battle'' is immense!

Star Wars - Attack Of The Clones - ''Chase Through Coruscant'' and ''On The Conveyor Belt'' are the only really enjoyable action cues, the rest is quite a bore.

Kung Fu Panda - Hadn't really listened to it a great deal before I came out hence why I am now. Lots of enjoyable moments, but I don't see what's so great about the final cue (???)

Indy 4 - I took a listen to some of the quieter cues today, and I can't change my opinion that things like ''Secret Doors And Scorpions'' and ''Oxley's Dilemma'' SUCK. Still, Mutt's theme, ''A Whirl Through Academe'' and Erik's edited credits suite kick-ass. And Irina's theme...AWESOME!!

Alias (1 & 2) - I listen to this a LOT...for some reason! I'm yet to see the series, and I'm told the music gets even better in the later seasons! Release more!!

More to come...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PATTON - Jerry Goldsmith

Genius! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Atlantis - The Lost Empire (promo) - James Newton Howard

Atlantis Destroyed, The Leviathan, The Journey, The Crystal Chamber, Going After Rourke, Dogfight = PURE JNH MAGIC!! After Dinosaur, this is another of my very frequently played JNH scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JANE ANTONIA CORNISH - Island of Lost Souls

Who'd have thought before? A.W.E.S.O.M.E orchestral riot. punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Though the electric guitar stuff in tracks like in You Look Good, Jack does sound ugly, I don't think anyone should have any problem with tracks like Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, Dinner Is Served, Wheel Of Fortune and Hello Beastie. Davy Jones is one of the most terrific villian pieces I've ever heard; not only does it capture both the character's tragedy and evil very well, but the organ based theme is, IMHO, one of the best pieces composed by Zimmer. Dinner Is Served and Wheel Of Fortune are terrific action pieces and Hello Beastie has an excellent range of music from action, suspense, drama etc.

And though I'm sure it must be one of the most bashed tracks by Zimmer, but The Kraken is also a favourite of mine. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I always take a certain pleasure in saying this; there are no electric guitars in Dead Man's Chest. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Whatever it is, it is the equivalent of an electric guitar IMO. Almost anyone on first listen will say it's an electric guitar wink

And that's precisely why I called it "electric guitar stuff" not "electric guitar" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's the sound of the orchestra fed through an amp. Personally I think he should of just used an electric guitar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But if he did, you wouldn't be talking about it right now wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    It's the sound of the orchestra fed through an amp. Personally I think he should of just used an electric guitar.

No, IMHO it creates a good effect in The Kraken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    But if he did, you wouldn't been talking about it right now wink

Yeah I would, I'd be like "Yeah, those electric guitars are awesome. You totally have to listen to this score."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yeah.right
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Get Smart (Trevor Rabin)
    Rabin in his "Remember the Titans" / "National Treasure" mood! I like it!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Metal Gear Solid 4 - HGW tracks

Terrific! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Metal Gear Solid 4 - HGW tracks

Terrific! punk

Agree! "Old Snake", "Sorrow", " Father & Son", "Metal Gear Saga"-> punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Though the electric guitar stuff in tracks like in You Look Good, Jack does sound ugly, I don't think anyone should have any problem with tracks like Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, Dinner Is Served, Wheel Of Fortune and Hello Beastie. Davy Jones is one of the most terrific villian pieces I've ever heard; not only does it capture both the character's tragedy and evil very well, but the organ based theme is, IMHO, one of the best pieces composed by Zimmer. Dinner Is Served and Wheel Of Fortune are terrific action pieces and Hello Beastie has an excellent range of music from action, suspense, drama etc.

And though I'm sure it must be one of the most bashed tracks by Zimmer, but The Kraken is also a favourite of mine. cool

Do you know Wheel of Fortune is not by Zimmer? and the Cannibal Island's theme either?

Anyway, Agree about Davey Jones thing, for me is Zimmer's Imperial March. And the Kraken and Jack Sparrow are some of my all time played cues!

NP:Jumper (Powell).

It's growing on me.

At least it has a theme, and it has some interesting orchestrations.
  4. NP: Jane Eyre (Alessio Vlad)

I think this is my favourite musical version of this story. John Williams' score is wonderful, while Herrmann's is a bit icy and remote for me, but it's this one I play most often. This one utilises its two gorgeous main themes well, with pleasant non-thematic passages bridging other scenes.

Next up: The Joy Luck Club (Rachel Portman)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you know Wheel of Fortune is not by Zimmer? and the Cannibal Island's theme either?

Well then, I like Zimmer's arrangement of Badelt's themes and his own Jack Sparrow action theme in WOF and at least the first half of Dinner Is Served seems to have a definite Zimmer sound to it! wink