• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    NP : GOLDFINGER - John Barry

Makes all the modern Bond scores sound.........ordinary!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I love the Skull theme... probably what I'd do use the first half 'Return', then somehow get across to Marion's theme theme at the start of finale, then proceed with Erik's suite as it is. (Though sadly that would miss the climax of the 'Call of the Crystal' suite.)

I tried all of your suggestions... and it just didn't work.

The change in key from Call of the Crystal to Marion's theme could never not be jarring, I think. :/

How about this, skip Marion's theme and go from either the climax of 'Return' or 'Call of the Crystal' directly into the Raiders March (where it picks up from Marion's theme in the Finale).

NP: Atonement (Marianelli)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Last time i tried to play this:

RAMIN DJAWADI - Iron Man

'Cause it's unbearably bad.

When you've finished listening to it, go seek medical advice. You'll need it after listening to that.

(I love hating this score. biggrin )

I've been trying to play it all afternoon, i just "reported" it after the martyr ended. It has to be one of the worst scores of the decade, so much waste of music, space, money, resources, everything.

I haven't been able to play that all the way through once.

NP: Millenium - Hans Zimmer

Its good music. I don't like it as much as The Lion King or the Power of One, but I still do enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    Its good music. I don't like it as much as The Lion King or the Power of One, but I still do enjoy it.

Really, I wish Zimmer would go back to his composing style to how he did these awsome scores!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    Panthera wrote

Really, I wish Zimmer would go back to his composing style to how he did these awsome scores!

That would make me super happy. I hope he gets another movie that takes place in Africa...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    He came closest to that style in AWE, IMO.

NP: D-Tox - John Powell

Powell Power!!! punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    NP: Armand Amar - Vu du Ciel

I'm confused about the difference between La Terre: Vue du Ciel and Vu du Ciel. The track titles are different but there's some similar stuff between those two albums and Le Premier Cri. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Fernando Velàzquez - The orphanage

...a tremendously underrated gem.

I'm not sure that it's underrated. I think that not many people have heard it for there to be much of a swell of praise to become visible and/or sustained. I think that most people who have heard it - including me - do rate it quite highly.

More people should wink Aren't the final 4 tracks just gorgeous?!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Fernando Velàzquez - The orphanage

...a tremendously underrated gem.

I'm not sure that it's underrated. I think that not many people have heard it for there to be much of a swell of praise to become visible and/or sustained. I think that most people who have heard it - including me - do rate it quite highly.

More people should wink Aren't the final 4 tracks just gorgeous?!

Indeed they are. "Reunion and Finale", with the full theme developed, is simply beautiful. And then the "End Credits" cue to close the experience.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Yes, ORFANATO is quite a good score.

NP: La Jeune et les Fi... (Amar)

My French is terrible! But this score is not.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008 edited
    NP : BETTY BLUE - Gabriel Yared

Really lovely score cool

p.s. I actually wanted to play Yared's The Beach but I can't find it anywhere? crazy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. I actually wanted to play Yared's The Beach but I can't find it anywhere? crazy

What score is that? Never heard of it. Do you have a link (soundtrackcollector/imdb)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I love the Skull theme... probably what I'd do use the first half 'Return', then somehow get across to Marion's theme theme at the start of finale, then proceed with Erik's suite as it is. (Though sadly that would miss the climax of the 'Call of the Crystal' suite.)

I tried all of your suggestions... and it just didn't work.

The change in key from Call of the Crystal to Marion's theme could never not be jarring, I think. :/

One of the reasons I created the suite was to get rid of Marion's Theme. wink

franz_conrad wrote
    How about this, skip Marion's theme and go from either the climax of 'Return' or 'Call of the Crystal' directly into the Raiders March (where it picks up from Marion's theme in the Finale).

Tried that as well... didn't work. The two tracks don't flow into each other. It's that last note of Marion's theme that bleeds into the finale of the Raiders March that causes all the problems.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote

What score is that? Never heard of it. Do you have a link (soundtrackcollector/imdb)?

The Beach. ( look it up on IMDB )

Leonardo DiCaprio stars, excellent score by Yared and very hard to find.....at least cheaply anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote

Leonardo DiCaprio stars, excellent score by Yared and very hard to find.....at least cheaply anyway.

Wasn't that Angelo Badalamenti?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. THE BEACH was Badalamenti. I've heard the theme, but never more than that. It seemed like a nice score from memory.

Erik Woods wrote

franz_conrad wrote

Tried that as well... didn't work. The two tracks don't flow into each other. It's that last note of Marion's theme that bleeds into the finale of the Raiders March that causes all the problems.

-Erik-

Figures. Oh well, I'm all out of suggestions. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: King Arthur - Hans Zimmer

Nothing short of TERRIFIC!!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote

Wasn't that Angelo Badalamenti?

-Erik-

...and the obvious reason I can't find it! wink shame

( and I still can't find it!? ) sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Justice League: The New Frontier - Kevin Manthei

Returning to this one for the first time in a month or so. Just wanted to make sure it was still as good as I remembered... and boy oh boy it is! Even though the score is performed almost completely on synths, Manthei must has some impressive processors to make his synths sound this good. The addition of a few organic instruments... solo trumpet... helps make this score feel more alive. The writing is superb, the action cues are delightful, full of energy and contain some impressive orchestrations. The Bernard Herrmannesque film noir pieces are most welcome. The themes are memorable, complex and not forgotten during the albums play time. This right now is my surprise of the year! I love it!

Until I get a new show up you can still hear a 15 minute suite during my THIS JUST IN program.

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But........synths? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    But........synths? confused

I know... it would have sounded brilliant with a full live symphony but due to the budget constraints he had to use a synth orchestra. If you are open-minded soundtrack fan I highly recommend you have a listen to the suite, throw your bias concerning synths out of the window for 15 minutes and just listen. It's quite impressive music.

BTW, Demetris, have you listened to Soule's Guild Wars? It's completely synthesized but a person who didn't know that would have a hard time distinguishing the difference between Soule's synth orchestra and a live one. Just ask Martijn!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You mean sound libraries i believe? Not synths as in keyboard / Vangelis synths?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    You mean sound libraries i believe? Not synths as in keyboard / Vangelis synths?

Soule uses synths.

From IGN's interview with Soule

---

IGN Music: How much of the score was organic, as in using real instruments and vocalists, and how much was synthesized?

Jeremy Soule: The score is 100% electronic but is very real sounding as each instrument is performed much like an acoustic instrument. Our "orchestra" is comprised of upwards of 30 64-bit Win XP pro workstations and Apple Intel boxes. All of these computers work together to render out the various elements you hear in the score. I would say that as far as MIDI specifications go, we are running one of the most advanced systems in the world as we are near the end of what the protocol was designed to do. It takes hours and hours to record a minute of music as I composite elements to create complex layers of sound to represent an orchestra.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

No mediochre scores for me today, just nothing but orchestral magnificence all the way. Not too many can match this! cool

I'm off to Glastonbury Festival tomorrow for a whole week so I'm trying to fuel up on as much orchestral as possible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ARGH!? Does anyone ever trawl through their music library desperately trying to find something to listen to and yet you have NO idea what you're in the mood for!?

slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    ARGH!? Does anyone ever trawl through their music library desperately trying to find something to listen to and yet you have NO idea what you're in the mood for!?

slant

All the friggin' time. And every time my solution is Charles Gerhardt re-recordings. I go to my Gerhardt playlist, hit shuffle, then play and it seems to do the trick.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

slant

Yep! But not today wink

NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hancock - John Powell

Very enjoyable, probably the pick of his four scores so far this year. Very Danny Elfman-ish in places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Hancock - John Powell

Very enjoyable, probably the pick of his four scores so far this year. Very Danny Elfman-ish in places.

Pfft. His contribution to Kung Fu Panda and his score to Horton Hears a Who! are much better IMO. PS I Love You is also a much more enjoyable album than Hancock. It just seems really bland to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Hancock - John Powell

Pfft. His contribution to Kung Fu Panda and his score to Horton Hears a Who! are much better IMO. PS I Love You is also a much more enjoyable album than Hancock. It just seems really bland to me.

Pfft. Horton is same-old same-old, PS I Love You standard generic rom-com, Panda silly Zimmer stuff and at least this is a bit different for him. No masterpiece, but nice to hear an action score from him which isn't entirely the same vein as his others. In terms of this year, Stop-Loss was OK and so was Jumper but this sounds a lot fresher to me.