• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote

NP: Museum Opening Suite (Christopher Gordon)

A magnificent 14 minutes. Probably the best film music by a film composer I've heard this year. This guy can write counterpoint like very few still can. In the celebratory tradition of his event scores, but smaller in scope, with emphasis on classical guitar, two-voice writing for trumpets and two harps.

Ooh, I sure wish I could listen to that.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    John Williams

Because I'm better than you.

Just out of interest, anyone have a favourite scene that uses the Indy theme? I'd have to go with 'The German Sub' (tied with 'To The Nazi Hideout'). The moment the theme kicks in (also the best rendition of the theme IMO) when Indy climbs the sub is FECKING AWESOME.

Yep, agreed. Gotta be the German sub scene that rules above the others. So rousing. You just want to salute Indy like the crew on the ship did while watching him!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    John Williams

Because I'm better than you.

Just out of interest, anyone have a favourite scene that uses the Indy theme? I'd have to go with 'The German Sub' (tied with 'To The Nazi Hideout'). The moment the theme kicks in (also the best rendition of the theme IMO) when Indy climbs the sub is FECKING AWESOME.

Yep, agreed. Gotta be the German sub scene that rules above the others. So rousing. You just want to salute Indy like the crew on the ship did while watching him!

I know! I get misty eyed in that bit I have to admit. He's my hero! love
  1. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

NP: Museum Opening Suite (Christopher Gordon)

A magnificent 14 minutes. Probably the best film music by a film composer I've heard this year. This guy can write counterpoint like very few still can. In the celebratory tradition of his event scores, but smaller in scope, with emphasis on classical guitar, two-voice writing for trumpets and two harps.

Ooh, I sure wish I could listen to that.

biggrin

Well, where there's a will, there's a way. biggrin

NP: Spellbound Concerto (Rozsa)

I love Rozsa's lush, romantic writing these days. This theme is just gorgeous.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Guild Wars: Eye of the North - Jeremy Soule

Had this sitting on my computer for a week after I downloaded it (and since there's no audio output for my PC, I had to burn it to CD), but oh what a treat. It's one of the best video game scores ever, next to Mercenaries and Lair, but it's just hampered by being entirely synthetic. Truly, one would think it was played by a live orchestra save for that the fake brass and choir give it away.

It's a shame, as Soule's Harry Potter VG scores had a budget for a genuine orchestra, but they couldn't get one for GW:EotN? Maybe not a London ensemble, but even a Prague or Seattle recording of this score would've given the instruments a true depth that even the best computer equipment can't replicate. The only complaint I have, it's still a terrific score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Personally, I think Guild Wars sounds fantastic. If any composer out there can't afford a full symphony orchestra to perform their score I would hope that they would seek out Soule's set up as a template. IMHO, the sound is very impressive!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Matt C wrote
    I pray that once Yates switches gears and starts pre-production on the two-part Deathly Hallows, that the WB will "convince" him to bring back Williams to finish what he started.

If Williams is not back to score, I'm boycotting the movie! wink

NP: Stargate - David Arnold

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Guild Wars: Eye of the North - Jeremy Soule

Had this sitting on my computer for a week after I downloaded it (and since there's no audio output for my PC, I had to burn it to CD), but oh what a treat. It's one of the best video game scores ever, next to Mercenaries and Lair, but it's just hampered by being entirely synthetic. Truly, one would think it was played by a live orchestra save for that the fake brass and choir give it away.

It's a shame, as Soule's Harry Potter VG scores had a budget for a genuine orchestra, but they couldn't get one for GW:EotN? Maybe not a London ensemble, but even a Prague or Seattle recording of this score would've given the instruments a true depth that even the best computer equipment can't replicate. The only complaint I have, it's still a terrific score.

Guild Wars is a mindblowingly good score, i enjoy every bit of it. punk

And while we are at banning specific board themes, i now hereby proclaim that every one who dare s to talk about damn Powell again, will get instant ban, crash and burn in the eternal fires of hell.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Personally, I think Guild Wars sounds fantastic. If any composer out there can't afford a full symphony orchestra to perform their score I would hope that they would seek out Soule's set up as a template. IMHO, the sound is very impressive!

-Erik-

Oi, answer my question!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    There's something I'd like to say about the way this forum seems to be going.

I have always enjoyed the diversity of people and tastes here.
    I think if people post less and less here because they feel it's getting one-sided, then it will become one-sided! Do you understand what I mean? There's only one way to keep this board diverse and that's when everyone keeps talking about what they are listening to. It's not just a forum you join, you create it too yourself, everyone is part of it and responsible for what will be talked about.

Of course I understand it's not very motivating if you get low response to your posts about the music you really like, but again, I think if people give up because they are afraid there is no interest in their music then what they fear will actually happen, that music will disappear from the board. You can keep interest alive yourself. But I understand you can only do that when you still enjoy it and are willing to take the time and effort.

I really hope this forum will stay as diverse as it was before.

NP: Hidden Treasures III - guess the score game
    Excellent! Now this reminds me why exactly I am here in this place with you guys, listening to and discussing film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Arguably there's a trick to being able to enjoy all kinds of music without being an elitist snob.

Surely the main point is that everyone enjoys what he or she enjoys and, while I may not be able to understand others' choices, it doesn't actually matter to me nor make any difference to me what those choices are. There's no point me trying to convince someone that their time would be better spent listening to Papillon than it is listening to Batman Begins, I can give my own opinions but at the end of the day it makes no difference.

I don't think what Erik said is even close to being snobbish anyway. From what I understand of his posts, he is just frustrated that all the discussion and debate here is about mediocre modern scores - ones which in his (and my) opinion are more worthy of the discussion don't get any. I came back from four days away and there were 299 new posts in this very thread, and I have absolutely no desire to read them because I'm quite sure 200+ of them will just be about how great some very recent Zimmer/JNH/etc score is. I think I've written enough about my feelings about Zimmer by now that I don't need to do it again for a while, and I guess what Erik would like to see is a degree of restraint exercised by others - which would maybe give the more tentative posters a chance to discuss entirely different scores. I can't honestly say that I would hold out much hope for that!

It was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt. But there's some truth to it, I think there's a snob in all of us (some more so than others), or at least we all each hold certain opinions in high regard concerning our tastes and preferences to music. I used to be very snobbish about "my" music, but I like to think I've grown up a bit since then... I hope so anyway.

I agree that the constant discussion about "Zimmer and Co." is a bit boring, but then whatever is being released and most commercially available at any given time is always going to spur more conversation than older scores. And this in turn probably encourages snobbish/elitist/call-it-what-you-will remarks from those who are fed up with it. And I completely understand why.

It's always going to happen, new scores are released, some love them and never shut up about it, some fail to see what all the fuss is about and start going "la la la la la not listening" and then puts on a classic old skool score in utter disgust. That's what being in a generation is all about! biggrin

There are certain members who seem to be most to blame for never shutting up about new scores, but I won't name them because I'm better than that. (*cough* Jordi *cough* Anthony.)

I tried to not join this conversation, but some person told my name, so im like Beeteljuice Im here! tongue

I'm agree with Erik and James with some things they said. This forum is more oriented to actual composers, than for example, FSM or Moviemusic Uk or FIlmtracks. That's what im here more often than in the other forum (of course, because the people here too! ). So I understand if Erik wants to read more often other forums....But Im sure he will not do this, because he loves us!

I think it's pretty obvious because we talk more of actual composers, because they are who release new scores! And because this forum it's a little bit more by the new generation (with the recent additions of nice guys like Demonstar wich really love...Zimmer? ehehe)

Anyway, Even with my obsession with some scores by Zimmer (AWE) or POwell (Panda , Happy feet) Im pretty sure, even me, Im listening and talking more about other composers.

( Only for the record Im really tired to read the things about Batman Begins versus Elfman, what about Zimmer music is silly or full of additional composers, etc...So it's long ago since I join this kind of conversations. I talked a lot about Zimmer, and without succes, in my moviemusic forum / scorereviews forum )

NP:Wanted (Elfman)

Wow! i don't like Elfman. But this score is really cool!

Perhaps because it sound like Bourne meets Matrix meets Elfman.

The Main theme is one of the most fresh themes of the year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje made some very good points above, i'd suggest that people should read what she wrote. smile
  2. Mark Mancina - Training Day

I'm in a Mancina wave right now...

Training Day is really weird... A really dark atmosphere... I haven't seen the film yet... I need to watch it !!! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Mark Mancina - Training Day

Training Day is really weird... A really dark atmosphere... I haven't seen the film yet... I need to watch it !!! cheesy

Good film, boring score wink
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Mark Mancina - Training Day

Good film, boring score wink

I agree...

The best Mancina - Fuqua collaboration is Bait...

Unfortunately, we don not have that one... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - Hellbound - Hellraiser II

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: StreamingSoundtracks.com

My daily habit biggrin
    As a newbie score fan, I "discovered" a lot of lesser known scores by various composers.

Beat The Drum by Klaus Badelt & Ramin Djawadi I requested today is one of the "discoveries" there. It was nice...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. Miya wrote
    NP: StreamingSoundtrack.com

My daily habit biggrin
    As a newbie score fan, I "discovered" a lot of lesser known scores by various composers.

Beat The Drum by Klaus Badelt & Ramin Djawadi I requested today is one of the "discoveries" there. It was nice...

You can remove Badelt... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DANNY ELFMAN - wanted

First listen and you can tell Elfman has been listening to a lot of Philip Glass lately!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: StreamingSoundtrack.com

My daily habit biggrin

You can remove Badelt... wink

I knew about that, but I just copy & pasted from SST wink
    Actually there was only Badelt's name on the album info page at first, so I asked to add one more name biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    DANNY ELFMAN - wanted

First listen and you can tell Elfman has been listening to a lot of Philip Glass lately!

And Bourne?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    i now hereby proclaim that every one who dare s to talk about damn Powell again, will get instant ban, crash and burn in the eternal fires of hell.

Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DANNY ELFMAN - wanted

And Bourne?

BANNED!! tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oi, answer my question!

Hummm... I thought I already responded but I guess I didn't hit ADD YOUR COMMENTS.

I agree with you on the Sub version of Indy's theme. LOVE IT!

My second favorite is the swing into the Mine Car from Temple of Doom.

Third is the airport take off from Temple of Doom.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    See, told you you were wrong Anthony! biggrin tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Phantom of the Opera (Special Edition) - Andrew Lloyd Webber

Now, before you bash me for posting something without what you'd call a 'score,' in the main "Now Playing" thread, let me say in my defense that all the background orchestra music in the songs is the score. Andrew Lloyd Webber has done a beautiful job with the music for this, as what seems like merely orchestra background music, becomes much more than that, and at times it feels like it is the singers who accompany the orchestra, not the other way around. This is currently my favorite musical, and also one of my favorite movies. It is really nice to own both the "Original London Cast Recording" and the two-disc special edition movie soundtrack. Overall, I prefer the movie soundtrack for its incredible orchestra sound, though the other is still good. Great musical, great music! biggrin punk

Favorite tracks:

2. Medley: Overture / Hannibal
    3. Think of Me
    4. Angel of Music
    5. Little Lotte / The Mirror (Angel of Music)
    6. The Phantom of the Opera
    7. The Music of the Night
    13. All I Ask of You
    14. All I Ask of You (Reprise)
    15. Medley: Masquerade / Why So Silent
    17. Journey to the Cemetery
    18. Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
    19. Wandering Child
    23. Medley: The Point of No Return / Chandelier Crash
    24. Down Once More / Track Down This Murderer
    25. Learn to Be Lonely
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: The Phantom of the Opera (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [Special Edition] - Andrew Lloyd Webber

Now, before you bash me for posting something without what you'd call a 'score,'..

Of course you're more than welcome to. You just really really don't have to include the "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" every time you post in the Now Playing thread. This is a FILM MUSIC forum, it kinda goes without saying that you're listening to a soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: The Phantom of the Opera (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [Special Edition] - Andrew Lloyd Webber

Now, before you bash me for posting something without what you'd call a 'score,'..

Of course you're more than welcome to. You just really really don't have to include the "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" every time you post in the Now Playing thread. This is a FILM MUSIC forum, it kinda goes without saying that you're listening to a soundtrack.

That really annoys you, huh? smile devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

I just don't see the point? Continue if you want, but it will save you from looking a bit... silly perhaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

I just don't see the point? Continue if you want, but it will save you from looking a bit... silly perhaps.

I already tried this, Steven.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Thanks for the concern. wink