• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Lord of The Rings - The Two Towers - Howard Shore

The best in the trilogy after RoTK. Amazing themes and chorals, a terrific work of art! punk

100% agree!

Shore's work on the three 'Rings' films will rightly be considered classics of the 00's, in fact, these works would stand strong in any decade of film scoring.

And we've still got TWO Hobbit films to look forward to!! biggrin

I just hope Shore's involved!?

NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

With eternal gratitude to FSM kiss beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    I just hope Shore's involved!?

Yeah! See the Howard Shore thread, the director himself confirmed it in an online chat! biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

The best in the trilogy after RoTK. Amazing themes and chorals, a terrific work of art! punk

100% agree!

Shore's work on the three 'Rings' films will rightly be considered classics of the 00's, in fact, these works would stand strong in any decade of film scoring.

Two? Is The Hobbit being made into two separate parts, or is The Hobbit going to be the first of two new LotR related films? I have recently been under the impression that the second film will be a completely different story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

100% agree!

Two? Is The Hobbit being made into two separate parts, or is The Hobbit going to be the first of two new LotR related films? I have recently been under the impression that the second film will be a completely different story.

I think that the second movie fills in some of the details between THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS. I suppose that they are going to pick and choose stories from other writings Tolkien did based in Middle Earth.

Although THE HOBBIT is obviously related to THE LORD OF THE RINGS, I've always seen theme as quite separate entities. When it comes to the music, if Shore is scoring these new films, and there's going to be some thematic overlap, I still can't help but feel that the music won't be a seamless integration with his music for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

100% agree!

I think that the second movie fills in some of the details between THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS. I suppose that they are going to pick and choose stories from other writings Tolkien did based in Middle Earth.

Although THE HOBBIT is obviously related to THE LORD OF THE RINGS, I've always seen theme as quite separate entities. When it comes to the music, if Shore is scoring these new films, and there's going to be some thematic overlap, I still can't help but feel that the music won't be a seamless integration with his music for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

So, do you think The Silmarillion or the recently published The Children of Hurin may be adapted as the second film? Or are you thinking that some other, unfinished ideas may constitute the second film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

I’m just writing out my thoughts here… this is going to be a messy post but I hope you can follow.

---

I added the entire score album to my Best of the 2000's playlist... I just couldn’t leave off any of the tracks. This is simply the best thing James Newton Howard has ever composed and the best score of the 00's. This score is a brilliant example of mono-thematic scoring, theme variation, tension building, coherent start to finish scoring, intelligent horror scoring, and musical storytelling. IMHO, this score is up there with the likes of John Williams Jaws. The three note motif heard throughout the score works just like the shark motif does. It signals that the aliens are close by and plays in various volumes based on where the aliens are. The closer the aliens are to our heroes, the louder and more complex the music gets.

Also, film music is about emotional manipulation and Howard does it brilliantly in this score. A great example of that is "Brazilian Video." We all know what is going to happen. The news anchor tells us and so does James Newton Howard. Howard builds his music to the logical conclusion that we are going to see the alien for the first time and both the image and the music are going to scare the crap out of us. But even though we know all of that, Shyamalan’s wonderful direction and editing along with Newton Howard’s music still manages to scare the bejesus out of us the moment the alien steps on screen. That’s the sign of great movie making and great emotional manipulation in the music. It’s not a cheap shot but it could have easily backfired This could have easily been played with out music only for a “sting” when the alien appears on screen but Newton Howard’s music manages to make that scene work even though he is musically telling us “Ready for the monster… because here… HE… IS!!!!” Big crescendo to orchestral blast. Blam! We need to change our shorts! Brilliant!

I love the opening titles. It’s ballsy. An over the top main title piece in this day and age could have easily failed but I’m glad to see something like that in modern day cinema. You don’t get too many main titles like that anymore. For a film like this you would get something more atmospheric which wouldn’t tell you anything.

I love “Into The Basement" because of the split second switch in emotion. We get this nice, tender family theme for the last super then all of a sudden the alien motif returns. We can’t see the alien but we know he is there. Newton Howard’s music tell us that which again is why I reference Jaws when talking about this score.

Of course there is “The Hand of Fate Part’s I and II”… no further discussion is needed. It’s simply brilliant. It works on so many levels… its film music perfection. I simply LOVE those eerie strings.

The score also works brilliantly away from the film because of its coherent nature. The three note alien motif goes through some wonderful variations from mysterious to heart warming – from evil to loving. A composer who can do so much with three notes must be doing something right.

I probably over analyzed this and didn't write anything new... but I rarely praise scores in this manner.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. TheTelmarine wrote
    So, you do you think the Silmarillion or the recently published The Children of Hurin may be adapted as the second film? Or are you thinking that some other, unfinished ideas may constitute the second film?

There is so much backstory that has been written over the years I think that choice storylines (that may be relevant to the story of Lord of The Rings - Aragorn & Arwen's backstory for example) will be cherry-picked.

I've no idea how long there is between THE HOBBIT and LORD OF THE RINGS or what storylines found in LORD OF THE RINGS have their origins in the time between the stories but there's potentially a lot that could be covered. Aragorn/Arwen, Shelob's origins, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote:
    I probably over analyzed this and didn't write anything new... but I rarely praise scores in this manner.

And in this case you are more than right to do so. It´s impossible to over analyze Signs.
    Where the frak went the Academy Award that year...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk

Signs is one of my favourite scores, that's for damn sure. JNH proved just how intelligent a composer he is with this movie and it stands up with some of the best scores ever produced. It really does take a ridiculous amount of skill to come up with stuff like this.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's my favourite 00's score, but it's definitely one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, excellent review there and a very good reading overall, i thoroughly enjoyed it. keep 'em coming! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thanks Erik, that made for good reading. Of course, I agree with every word of it. cool

NP: Paycheck - John Powell

The brass writing in the action cues is awesome - the Hog Chase cues are fabulous. This is probably my favourite Powell score.

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SALEMS LOT - Christopher Gordon & Lisa Gerrard

Excellent work! ( and thanks to Joep for reminding me I had this beer )

As for the actual mini-series....avoid at ALL costs!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, excellent review there and a very good reading overall, i thoroughly enjoyed it. keep 'em coming! punk

Agree! But I doubt Erik will "keep em coming", he does mention this as "rare praise".
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

I like the themes and the Egyptian sound heard in the score. It isn't anything amazing, but it is still pretty good. For some reason I rarely listen to it.
  2. TheTelmarine wrote
    So, do you think the Silmarillion or the recently published The Children of Hurin may be adapted as the second film? Or are you thinking that some other, unfinished ideas may constitute the second film?

I hope they never touch THE SILMARILLION. Seeing a film of any part of it would take away what I see in my mind's eye when I read it, and I know what I see in my head is better than anything they can devise in WETA.

NP: Ashes of Time (Chan + Garcia)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    So, do you think The Silmarillion or the recently published The Children of Hurin may be adapted as the second film? Or are you thinking that some other, unfinished ideas may constitute the second film?

I hope they never touch THE SILMARILLION. Seeing a film of any part of it would take away what I see in my mind's eye when I read it, and I know what I see in my head is better than anything they can devise in WETA.

I have not yet read the Silmarillion, so I wouldn't mind it. But, I know what you mean. Some things are better left alone, to the imagination.
  3. Erik Woods wrote

I’m just writing out my thoughts here… this is going to be a messy post but I hope you can follow.

---

I added the entire score album to my Best of the 2000's playlist... I just couldn’t leave off any of the tracks. This is simply the best thing James Newton Howard has ever composed and the best score of the 00's. This score is a brilliant example of mono-thematic scoring, theme variation, tension building, coherent start to finish scoring, intelligent horror scoring, and musical storytelling. IMHO, this score is up there with the likes of John Williams Jaws. The three note motif heard throughout the score works just like the shark motif does. It signals that the aliens are close by and plays in various volumes based on where the aliens are. The closer the aliens are to our heroes, the louder and more complex the music gets.

Also, film music is about emotional manipulation and Howard does it brilliantly in this score. A great example of that is "Brazilian Video." We all know what is going to happen. The news anchor tells us and so does James Newton Howard. Howard builds his music to the logical conclusion that we are going to see the alien for the first time and both the image and the music are going to scare the crap out of us. But even though we know all of that, Shyamalan’s wonderful direction and editing along with Newton Howard’s music still manages to scare the bejesus out of us the moment the alien steps on screen. That’s the sign of great movie making and great emotional manipulation in the music. It’s not a cheap shot but it could have easily backfired This could have easily been played with out music only for a “sting” when the alien appears on screen but Newton Howard’s music manages to make that scene work even though he is musically telling us “Ready for the monster… because here… HE… IS!!!!” Big crescendo to orchestral blast. Blam! We need to change our shorts! Brilliant!

I love the opening titles. It’s ballsy. An over the top main title piece in this day and age could have easily failed but I’m glad to see something like that in modern day cinema. You don’t get too many main titles like that anymore. For a film like this you would get something more atmospheric which wouldn’t tell you anything.

I love “Into The Basement" because of the split second switch in emotion. We get this nice, tender family theme for the last super then all of a sudden the alien motif returns. We can’t see the alien but we know he is there. Newton Howard’s music tell us that which again is why I reference Jaws when talking about this score.

Of course there is “The Hand of Fate Part’s I and II”… no further discussion is needed. It’s simply brilliant. It works on so many levels… its film music perfection. I simply LOVE those eerie strings.

The score also works brilliantly away from the film because of its coherent nature. The three note alien motif goes through some wonderful variations from mysterious to heart warming – from evil to loving. A composer who can do so much with three notes must be doing something right.

-Erik-

I often use the Brazillian Video sequence of the film when I show this in a class to demonstrate how a 'hit' doesn't come out of nowhere, but often is a point of intensity that the composer must build to, telling the audience that what is coming is important.
  4. TheTelmarine wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    So, do you think the Silmarillion or the recently published The Children of Hurin may be adapted as the second film? Or are you thinking that some other, unfinished ideas may constitute the second film?

I have not yet read the Silmarillion, so I wouldn't mind it. But, I know what you mean. Some things are better left alone, to the imagination.

GOLDEN COMPASS and LION WITCH WARDROBE were both film experiences that didn't live up to the world I felt in those books. Imagination is a powerful thing, and these films (incl. parts of LOTR) so far have often forgotten how effectively the novellists they're adapting from used various narrative tricks to keep the unseen/'offscreen' world as active a part of the story as the onscreen world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Panthera wrote

I like the themes and the Egyptian sound heard in the score. It isn't anything amazing, but it is still pretty good. For some reason I rarely listen to it.

Isn't anything amazing!? shocked My god, it's one of the most amazing adventure scores I've heard! The complete score is far more impressive than the official album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    NP: Life As A House - Mark Isham

A very touching score which is brilliantly orchestrated with beautiful piano-led passages.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

***Erik's Review***

-Erik-

I often use the Brazillian Video sequence of the film when I show this in a class to demonstrate how a 'hit' doesn't come out of nowhere, but often is a point of intensity that the composer must build to, telling the audience that what is coming is important.

I'm happy to hear that. Sometimes when discussing film musicI feel like I'm pulling things out of my ass so to read that someone else feels the same way I do... especially you Michael... then I feel better about my assessment of the score and my analysis of film music as a whole. I'm a terrible writer so I'm glad that I was making some sort of sense during my review of Signs.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Panthera wrote

Isn't anything amazing!? shocked My god, it's one of the most amazing adventure scores I've heard! The complete score is far more impressive than the official album.

Actually, both play particularly well... except for the AWFULLY edited end title music. And you are right, Steven, it's a great adventure score which was almost equaled that very same year with The 13th Warrior!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Panthera wrote

Actually, both play particularly well... except for the AWFULLY edited end title music. And you are right, Steven, it's a great adventure score which was almost equaled that very same year with The 13th Warrior!

-Erik-

True, I think I overreacted a bit when I said "far more impressive" as the official album is very well produced. I do prefer the complete score though as there are some fantastic cues missing from the album. One of my top scores.

Although we will forever respectfully disagree as to which one we think is the best Mummy score! biggrin
  5. THE MUMMY rocks. One of the last really great action-adventure scores I can remember. (Gosh, nearly 10 years - that's a worry!) Great one-two punch between that one and THE THIRTEENTH WARRIOR for Goldsmith that year.

NP: The Beautiful Piano Themes of Georges Delerue

Nice compilation featuring some more obscure entries in the Delerue canon.

Erik Woods wrote

I'm happy to hear that. Sometimes when discussing film musicI feel like I'm pulling things out of my ass so to read that someone else feels the same way I do... especially you Michael... then I feel better about my assessment of the score and my analysis of film music as a whole. I'm a terrible writer so I'm glad that I was making some sort of sense during my review of Signs.

-Erik-

I'm quite chuffed someone holds my opinion in good regard! I sometimes feel like a bit of nitpicky grump who pays too much attention to detail. smile And you're not exactly what I would call a bad writer... (where's our Spanish friend when we need him?)

The other sequence I show of SIGNS is usually the main title, because the aggressive character of it is something you wouldn't naturally choose to do if you looked at the film's low-key opening. But starting everything off with a bang lights a fuse, and as you say, when 'The Hand of Fate Part I' comes around - you finally figure out what it is you were being promised as a viewer in that opening title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Right on, Michael. Right on! The assessment of the main title is exactly how I feel. We don't see eye to eye all the time, Michael, but with Signs it seems we do.

BTW, what about Island of Lost Souls for great action adventure music... or Sky Captain?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I'd pick Island of Lost Souls but Sky Captain is no slouch either.

The former just has an overwhelming sense of power and scope, with the brass clusters and the deep string lines. Comparing it to SC is rather apples and oranges, really.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

NP: Ashes of Time (Chan + Garcia)

I have no intention of ever reading it so if they film it you can make sure you never watch it....simple eh!?

I'll gladly soak it up with no pre-conceived ideas! cool
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Right on, Michael. Right on! The assessment of the main title is exactly how I feel. We don't see eye to eye all the time, Michael, but with Signs it seems we do.

BTW, what about Island of Lost Souls for great action adventure music... or Sky Captain?

-Erik-

They're very good... and THE INCREDIBLES... and PRISONER OF AZKABAN... and there are others. But THE MUMMY really does strike a chord with me... probably because it's the last of the Goldsmith adventure scores I really love. (Never got into TIMELINE.) I probably think of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS as a darker film score in the spirit of epic fantasy more than an enjoyable adventure. (Actually it's a score I associate more with Herrmann's MYSTERIOUS ISLAND and Wagner than any modern adventure score.)

Timmer wrote
    I have no intention of ever reading it so if they film it you can make sure you never watch it....simple eh!?

I'll gladly soak it up with no pre-conceived ideas! cool

If you liked reading LOTR, this earlier stuff is worth reading.

It's hard to avoid being aware of a film if its around. And it's not as though a good film of this material couldn't be made, but the current movement of fantasy films hasn't given me any evidence that a film-maker interested in the genre can do it justice. I do think those earlier works call for a more poetic film-maker to take on... the films can't be structured around action setpieces and make-up extravaganzas as LOTR was. The core of it is a series of a relationships between couples over centuries - some ill-suited, some ill-fated, and some well-suited and well-fated. Rather than a Peter Jackson or a Del Toro, this sort of film needs something like what Wong Kar Wai did for the martial arts genre in ASHES OF TIME. (But with a bit more clarity.) I would love to be the one, but I don't know how possible it is to make a film in a personal style when you're operating at that altitude.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THING - Ennio Morricone

Sublime! cool I shudder to think how a film like this would be scored nowadays!? slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Michael, I've never read anything by Tolkien and to be honest I'm unlikely to ever do. I rarely read that kind of fantasy anymore.

I'd never say never but....?