• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    My newest desktop 'look':

Main desktop:

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … ot7xb0.png

... now with a open window of the file manager, with a nice windowborder theme.

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … ot5qp7.png

... now with compiz fushion running (a smooth, and slick 3D environment with many nice window effects and functionality)

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … ot8kn5.png

... one of compiz fusion functionalities... showing 4 virtual desktops like a cube... this is sometimes handy... you can for example do some internet browsing on one desktop and doing some other stuff, like typing a letter on another virtual desktop... etc... or watching boobs on one desktop and when the wife comes in, switch/flip the cube to another desktop. Like I said, its quite useful hehe.

and most importantly... its linux, no bloatware, no malware, no virusses, free and fun...
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mine, as of now wink

http://users.auth.gr/~dichrist/desk.jpg

Beautiful!!! (and I don't say that often of a MS Windows setup) Nicely done those icon launchers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Talos wrote
    Regarding the original topic... the newest Ubuntu linux is out!

www.ubuntu.com

Have fun.

Thanks for the update mate.

Do you know if this can ably boot from a usb stick and SAVE UPDATES AND PROGRAMS on it?

Cheers

For your info: the latest ubuntu version 8.10 (www.ubuntu.com) has now a (one mouse click) utility which will install a complete linux system on an usb stick... and yes you can save updates, programs, tweak it to your liking, just like a normal install... heck you can even use this usb stick to pop it into any pc and install linux on that pc! (its the whole complete system + installer as well) Its pretty nifty, I bought a nice 4GB titanium usb drive (sandisk cruzer) and installed linux on it... now I carry my own system with me in my wallet. (it has all the fancy effects etc as well) Yay!

Just burn the iso (www.ubuntu.com) on a cd, boot from the cd and run the live cd (don't worry its not installing anything) when linux is running you can find the usb create application in the application setting. In the program you best choose to use almost all the capacity... I left a few MB for non linux related files... as you can still use this stick as a regular backup tool too!

Creating such linux install on a stick is idiot proof. But you better format the usb stick first on your xp/vista system with this little handy program http://download.chip.eu/en/USB-Disk-Sto … 76935.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Talos wrote
    But you better format the usb stick first on your xp/vista system with this little handy program http://download.chip.eu/en/USB-Disk-Sto … 76935.html

What is wrong with a simple in-windows format? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Martijn wrote
    Talos wrote
    But you better format the usb stick first on your xp/vista system with this little handy program http://download.chip.eu/en/USB-Disk-Sto … 76935.html

What is wrong with a simple in-windows format? confused

That one didn't work properly in my case, so I used this third party program. (I guess it has more options...?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Talos wrote
    ... one of compiz fusion functionalities... showing 4 virtual desktops like a cube...

Now THAT's handy!

What specs should a PC be up to to run this without any lag, Talos?
    (EDIT: assuming full functionality: so each desktop would be "busy": one browsing, another using a media program, another using an Office application (or whatever the equivalent is in Linux). you know what I mean).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Talos. WINDOWS VISTA FUCKED ME ONCE AGAIN last night and i can't stress enough how irritated i am (it won't get pass the "verifying DMI pool data" state no matter what, it won't boot in any version of windows (safe mode and all, it won't reach that stage) despite all the bios settings, boot device priority and cable connections all set correctly. I am now downloading the latest ubuntu in order to burn it on a CD and boot from that, i am hoping i can save my data on the hard disk before i proceed and format :sigh: once again.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm thinking about running XP -the best Windows MS has put out so far!- and Ubuntu in tandem, and slowly migrating to Linux-only. As I run many programs that are incomatible with Linux (my CD database being one of them), I'm also looking into experimenting with Windows virtual machines or virtual instances on a Linux desktop, which is gonna be a challenge!

I'm mostly looking forward to setting up a file/web/FTP server through Linux: Windows 2003 is VERY cumbersome, and I only really installed it to get the feel of the operating system (which, in all fairness, is VERY userfriendly!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know XP SP2 is the best ms os in ages but it won't support my 4 gigabytes of ram so it's totally useless for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank God for ubuntu, i downloaded the latest version, booted from the CD, copied crucial data from c: to my backup external drivers and i am off to format, i will try vista x64 sp1 and see what happens from there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know XP SP2 is the best ms os in ages but it won't support my 4 gigabytes of ram so it's totally useless for me.

XP3 since some months. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah i know but 2 things: 1) pinnacle doesn't support sp3 nor will it bother doing it, for their external video cards which i am using at the home studio for video and HD video capturing and 2) i heard that sp2 is the most stable version to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No matter: any 32 bits Windows will indeed not use the ful 4 GB of RAM, but will merely "see" a little over 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh, i hadn't read the rest of that sentence.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No matter: any 32 bits Windows will indeed not use the ful 4 GB of RAM, but will merely "see" a little over 3.

I have now installed Vista x64 sp1
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    64 bits should see you right as far as the full use of 4 GB of RAM goes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thank God for ubuntu, i downloaded the latest version, booted from the CD, copied crucial data from c: to my backup external drivers and i am off to format, i will try vista x64 sp1 and see what happens from there.

... so you booted into linux and then accessed your windows files and made a backup accordingly? If so, that's what I always tell people to do when they can't access their files in windows for some reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I moved crucial data from c: to my external hdd drive and then i formatted C: without loosing any important data; I installed a fresh copy of VISTA X64 SP1 after format and we'll see what happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Martijn wrote
    Talos wrote
    ... one of compiz fusion functionalities... showing 4 virtual desktops like a cube...

Now THAT's handy!

What specs should a PC be up to to run this without any lag, Talos?
    (EDIT: assuming full functionality: so each desktop would be "busy": one browsing, another using a media program, another using an Office application (or whatever the equivalent is in Linux). you know what I mean).

Suprisingly only very modest hardware is needed. In my case I run everything smoothly, with multiple programs running at once... on a very simpel laptop (1.60GHz with 1 GB Ram and ON BOARD BASIC graphics. (that point still amazes me... a simple onboard graphic card can run all this stuff smoothly) I actually just made a very lame quick desktop recording to show it to you... I will place it on Youtube... it doesn't run very smoothly in the clip (I guess my laptop is not powerful enough to record smoothly, but in reality its smooth, so don't think its not smooth like in the clip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1_cyCdhFw

I am running all this stuff at once:

Browser
    GIMP (which is a kind of photoshop)
    OpenOffice (which is a free alternative for MS Office)
    A movie clip in a media player
    All effects...
    A special program launcher...

I has many more effects available, for fun... snowing, rain, fire... etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cheers, Talos! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know; but if only all the major software i use worked in Linux too sad
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know; but if only all the major software i use worked in Linux too sad

Which programs are that, maybe I can help to see whether its possible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    Toughy mate.

Pro tools m-powered 7.4, soon 8
    sony vegas 9
    avid xpress pro 5
    adobe audition 3
    adobe premiere pro cs4
    adobe photoshop cs4
    adobe encore cs4
    adobe media encoder cs4
    magix samplitude 10
    finale 2009
    nero 9

and there's always the problem with MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 which won't work anywhere else besides a windows environment.

Linux is only good for general purpose computing it seems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    Ouch... in that case stick with MS Windows... these are very specialized programs. Ah well... you might try to dig up some opensource variations... such as GIMP instead of Photoshop, although Photoshop is superior but expensive. Nero 9 shouldn't be a problem... if you just want to burn stuff. Nevertheless its still fun though, just to try it out (linux) ... can't hurt. smile
  1. I think that having a two-system set-up would be great, really.

I tend to look for some Linux when I am bored with too stupid GUIs. I use it only to spend a while in the console biggrin shame
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think that having a two-system set-up would be great, really.

I tend to look for some Linux when I am bored with too stupid GUIs. I use it only to spend a while in the console biggrin shame

Pawel, no problem... you can set up a two system without any risk to your existing system with this nifty program. 'Wubi' ... basically its a program that will install linux inside your ms windows os, just like any other program. You can just uninstall it just like a regular program in ms windows.

So no loss if you would like to try linux without any risk.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Let me know if you tried it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos, can you use the linux with all its features enabled in that version? as in download stuff and save options and all? Not like the live cd option which basically lets you preview stuff but you can't save anything or download programs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    Yes, you can all do that, just like a normal installed version. Its exactly the same. You can save, download/install programs, tweak it etc etc. Like I said exactly like a real install.

I did it (at my pc at work) and its no sweat... its idiot proof indeed. After you installed it just, you will be able to choose which OS to boot upon starting up your pc. Its the perfect and safe way to try it. After you uninstall it, I don't know why you would do that, hehe, you will have your previous (single OS) bootup process back. You don't need to mess around. Its easy a pie and absolutely safe.

When you run wubi for the first time, just choose ubuntu (there will be a few other choices) but just stick with ubuntu. (unless you have an very old pc, you better choose xubuntu, which is tailormade for older hardware)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    does it affect the windows overall performance?