• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    Martijn wrote
    Robin Williams and the Lost Boys were liabilities. Hoffman, Hoskins, the rest of the cast, the absolutely fabulous set design and Williams' impeccable scores were all clear winners.
    While not my favourite Spielberg, it's miles over a snoozer like Always.

For the first time in a LONG time I absolutely agree with everything you just said.

franz_conrad wrote
    I don't mind if Indiana Jones features Spielberg copping out in terms of family relationships. The previous installments have a strong moral agenda, and there's nothing wrong with being consistent with that. In WOTW, he set up a situation with dramatic stakes that were seriously inconsistent with his desired outcome of the story. For all that, the first 85% is a top film with a few logical plotholes that are easy to overlook, with some of his most spectacular film-making in years.

Holy Jesus... I'm agreeing with you, too?

dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Oh Common, Hook is a brilliant picture. Its a different take on Peter Pan, but Dustin Hoffman is fabulous, the score is probably one of the best and most touching ever written and the hand of the director is all over the place. I just can not believe that so many place this one as one of the wordt Spielberg ever made. To me its right up there, alongside all his other classics.

Brilliant and Hook are not good bedfellows! While the story (not the screenplay), the set design, the score, Dustin Hoffman, and Bob Hoskins are wonderful - the direction is lazy, the story telling is waaaaaay of the mark and the final battle scene is one of the worst choreographed action scenes ever in a Spielberg film. The Lost Boys are annoying (they too seemed to have grown up), there is just far too much happening on screen and there is really no emotion. It's a flat rare misfire from Spielberg.

As for putting this film in the same class as Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders, E.T., Empire of the Sun, Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan... well, that's absolutely ridiculous!

Oh ya... one more AWFUL note - Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell <-- One of the worst casting decisions EVER!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    - Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell
    -Erik-

Bbbrrrrrrrrrrr! shocked

Oh; let me rephrase:

Erik Woods wrote
    - Julia Roberts
    -Erik-

:shudders:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Oh Common, Hook is a brilliant picture. Its a different take on Peter Pan, but Dustin Hoffman is fabulous, the score is probably one of the best and most touching ever written and the hand of the director is all over the place. I just can not believe that so many place this one as one of the wordt Spielberg ever made. To me its right up there, alongside all his other classics.

Brilliant and Hook are not good bedfellows! While the story (not the screenplay), the set design, the score, Dustin Hoffman, and Bob Hoskins are wonderful - the direction is lazy, the story telling is waaaaaay of the mark and the final battle scene is one of the worst choreographed action scenes ever in a Spielberg film. The Lost Boys are annoying (they too seemed to have grown up), there is just far too much happening on screen and there is really no emotion. It's a flat rare misfire from Spielberg.

As for putting this film in the same class as Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders, E.T., Empire of the Sun, Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan... well, that's absolutely ridiculous!

Oh ya... one more AWFUL note - Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell <-- One of the worst casting decisions EVER!!!

-Erik-

Well then we disagree wink
    Spielberg has made so many great movies, its hard to basically pinpoint out which one is the best. But to me the emotional weight that this movies carries out, feeling young again shows how well Spielberg touched our inner heart. Well at least my inner heart smile

You can't compare the brilliance of a Saving Private Ryan alongside a Hook, but you can know what both movies make you feel like. And Hook makes me feel alive. Trust me, this has also got to do thanks to Williams brilliant music, but overall everything is here to make you feel alive.

But hey that's me wave
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    Just for Peter Pan kissing Tinkerbell this movie has to be forgotten.

Sorry guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Spielberg has made so many great movies, its hard to basically pinpoint out which one is the best.

For me personally it isn't - not in the least. For me it's Schindler's List every time, without a doubt. It's not necessarily my No. 1 Spielberg film, but in terms of the effect it's had on me... well yeah, I'd say it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007 edited
    Absolutely, Schindler's List really stands out, by far. The impression the razzia had on me... the ruthless of how everything is depicted... It never fails to make a harrowing impression on me. And, besides that, the film also features some of the best mise-en-scene of his career, Ralph Fiennes gives an incredibly intense and scary performance, also the best of his career... It's for me among the best films ever made.
  2. I guess Schindler's List is on top of everyone's list because who can't be silent during a movie as this?
    My favorite I guess is still Saving Private Ryan because that movie just shows the brutality and pointlessness of the war the best

Best war scenes ever
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    When is Indy 4 teaser Comming?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    When is Indy 4 teaser Comming?

In 2008 sometime before May 22.

wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Rumor has it that it would be attached to the prints of National Treasure 2, but a reliable source says that the first trailer will be released sometime this January.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    On Cloverfield perhaps? I doubt there'll be a bigger film in January.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Hook: sleep

Schindler´s List: shocked

Indy 4: punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hook: sleep

Schindler´s List: shocked

Indy 4: punk

Pretty much! wink

-Erik-
  4. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007
    I told you....DON'T CALL ME JUNIOR!kill
  5. ^

So THAT's why Henry Jones Sr. didn't make it to Part Four? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008
    Is Marion's theme comming back? Wich Nazi's theme is comming back, the first or the second one?

I can't wait.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    - Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell
    -Erik-

Bbbrrrrrrrrrrr! shocked

Oh; let me rephrase:

Erik Woods wrote
    - Julia Roberts
    -Erik-

:shudders:

See if you can find a picture of Stingray puppet Troy Tempest....you'll see that him and Julia Roberts were separated at birth biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Is Marion's theme comming back? Wich Nazi's theme is comming back, the first or the second one?

I can't wait.

SPOILERS

Nazi's? There are going to be NO Nazi's in Crystal Skull. It's Russians this time. And I'm pretty sure Marion's theme will make a return. I'm sure we are going to get a Russian Theme, An Indy and Mutt theme, and a theme for the Crystal Skull.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Whoa whoa whoa, wait a minute, did you just say Russians? shocked

Holy crap in heaven! I hope to god that Russian theme will sound Russian. lick

Of course, when I think about it, it's perfectly obvious. 1950's = cold war = Russians. Doi!

(Nice use of logic there Jordi. Why would Nazis be running around in the 50's I wonder! rolleyes )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Of course, when I think about it, it's perfectly obvious. 1950's = cold war = Russians. Doi!

(Nice use of logic there Jordi. Why would Nazis be running around in the 50's I wonder! rolleyes )

Why not? Nazi war criminals in South America etc ....apology to Jordi time eh Steven? wink

But those good ol 1950's baddies the Russkies will do!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Why not? Nazi war criminals in South America etc ....apology to Jordi time eh Steven? wink

Pff, weak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    For the first time in a LONG time I absolutely agree with everything you just said.

But... but... but... I'm such an agreeable fellow. shocked

Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nazi war criminals in South America etc ....apology to Jordi time eh Steven? wink

Pff, weak.

Not weak at all!
    That is the exact same reason I'm hoping for some Nazi baddies after all as well!
    Nazis!
    I love those guys.

I mean, I hate those guys.

I mean, I love to hate those guys.

love
    kill
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for the back up Martijn, not that I needed it but appreciated anyway!

Weak my arse, South American Nazi war crims would be great, your just trying to worm your way out of having a red face Steven tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, that's not weak in itself. It's just weak because I'm sure it wasn't the reason Jordi assumed there would be Nazis in the new Indy film! tongue (Of course now he'll say he knew all along, thus I can't win no matter what! biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    No, that's not weak in itself. It's just weak because I'm sure it wasn't the reason Jordi assumed there would be Nazis in the new Indy film! tongue (Of course now he'll say he knew all along, thus I can't win no matter what! biggrin )

It's simple, just use the force and compel him to tell the truth?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    '[...] your just trying to worm your way out [..]'?

That's right.
    Bustin' chops.