• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    What exactly is a "real" theme?

I'm always amazing at how people diss Zimmer for down fall of thematic film scores when most of his scores are actually littered with melody!

-Erik-

christopher wrote
    I don't know what a "real" theme is. Just quoting D.

I mean that very few things sound original anymore, in film music. Everything has been done, any theme you might try to come up with, it will resemble someone else before you, one way or the other.

That's James Horner talking.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    2 scores. Other than those which could have been out of his league and / or early career, he has a wholly different, easily recognizable style all these years.

He was able to write some strikingly original material before writing those two scores. Terror Tract, Darkness Falls, The Hunted, Frailty come to mind!

And his "style" is all over the place.

-Erik-

Indeed. So is in his later scores, the action ones, albeit repetitive.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    What exactly is a "real" theme?

I'm always amazing at how people diss Zimmer for down fall of thematic film scores when most of his scores are actually littered with melody!

-Erik-

christopher wrote
    I don't know what a "real" theme is. Just quoting D.

I mean that very few things sound original anymore, in film music. Everything has been done, any theme you might try to come up with, it will resemble someone else before you, one way or the other.

That's James Horner talking.

-Erik-

Don't get me wrong, i love film music, modern one especially.I like listening to a lot of stuff and i enjoy them deeply, but very few scores actually surprise me anymore and they're either Spanish / Portuguese, French, some Italian, the occasional great game score surprise (Although fewer and fewer now), stuff like Rombi, Korzeniowski, etc. Who aren't particularly original either, but still full of melodies and musicianship.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote

John Powell

He's becoming rather derivative and tiring lately, imo. But others will also agree with this one i think.
  1. I've heard the Tyler version of the Universal logo in 5.1 sound before watching a movie, and boy is it underwhelming. The choir was unnecessary and the Tyler's approach was lacking in power. Goldsmith's rendition was a 100 times better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Yeah, I happen to agree with DT here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2012
    Wow, I've never thought Deep Blue Sea when listening to Children of Dune, and never even dreamed of Zorro when listening to Partition. I don't understand these comparisons at all. I've never heard the Mancini so I can't comment on that.

Its also kind of ironic that Tyler is being accused of ripping off Rabin and Horner when those two are some of the most derivative themselves.

There are many, many issues with Tyler's music but somehow he manages to make almost every score enjoyable in one way or another...so I hope he sticks around. Granted, he doesn't need to do 5 or 6 every year...a couple of more well-thought-out projects would be better...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2012 edited
    The reason I like Tyler scores despite knowing how generic and predictable they are...I just figured out why.

Tyler is the McDonald's of film music! You can make anything taste good with enough MSG...and Tyler is an expert at musical MSG... cheesy

3. I have no interest in this personally, though I'm sure it will be lavish. No doubt they will sell a ..... what's the antonym of "TON"?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    I've heard the Tyler version of the Universal logo in 5.1 sound before watching a movie, and boy is it underwhelming. The choir was unnecessary and the Tyler's approach was lacking in power. Goldsmith's rendition was a 100 times better.

hearing JG's rousing action music in the movie behind that surely made everything sound underwhelming wink

but yeah, it lacks complete power
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Several new reviews:

- Brake
    - Bug
    - The Final Cut
    - Paparazzi
    - Six-String Samurai
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    Nice work Thomas!

Can't have enough Tyler reviews wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    But we can have enough Tyler scores.

okay okay, I'm going......... >>>>
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Marselus wrote
    Nice work Thomas!

thanks Marcel, and there are more where those came from
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    But we can have enough Tyler scores.

okay okay, I'm going......... >>>>

Can't run away from me angry

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nice work Thomas!

thanks Marcel, and there are more where those came from

punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  7. Great to see more reviews being posted Thomas.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Great to see more reviews being posted Thomas.

yeah, not much activity anymore, at least not like it used to be
    Can we expect something from you Alan?
  9. Yes. Definitely. But things have been a bit diverting the last wee while. Holiday, dealing with dad's estate (and emotional baggage) and a general disillusionment of messageboards have meant that reviews have been a bit thin on the ground at the moment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. My review of THE EXPENDABLES 2, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2012/08/27/the-e … ian-tyler/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2012
    The movie is godawful (mindlessly stupid/poorly acted/dire dialogue and the lamest one-liners I can remember). It's far worse than the first which is saying something. But yes, agree the Tyler score works a treat. The Expendables march is a brilliant, old-school piece of music. Actually wanted to hear it much more in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2012 edited
    David OC wrote
    The movie is godawful (mindlessly stupid/poorly acted/dire dialogue and the lamest one-liners I can remember). It's far worse than the first which is saying something. But yes, agree the Tyler score works a treat. The Expendables march is a brilliant, old-school piece of music. Actually wanted to hear it much more in the film.

The film isn't to be taken seriously. It's more like a self-parody. What did you expect from it? "dialogue"...erm, in Expendables? It's just swith mind-have fun and the actors are having fun of their own 'idol' statuses through the years.
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yes. Definitely. But things have been a bit diverting the last wee while. Holiday, dealing with dad's estate (and emotional baggage) and a general disillusionment of messageboards have meant that reviews have been a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

well, hope things are better now, on all levels smile
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

The film isn't to be taken seriously. It's more like a self-parody. What did you expect from it? "dialogue"...erm, in Expendables? It's just swith mind-have fun and the actors are having fun of their own 'idol' statuses through the years.

I realise it's not to be taken seriously. But even parody, for the sake of the few audience members with still-functioning cerebral cortexes, should include a modicum of intelligence. Expendables 2 doesn't have it - not even close, it's moronically embarrassing in every way. Anyway, the score is very good at least.
  12. Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

That does mean however: IT HAS TO BE FUNNY.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  13. I guess both of these films are expendable.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012
    That they are.
    cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

I thought it was much better than expected. I actually had fun this time around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The other day i watched BATTLESHIP, i think some people are taking themselves and their countries too seriously, i mean have you read the rottentomatoes' reviews? I had lots of fun; films like this at least have some humor and self-mockery in them, they are honest imo. Not some heavy, pretentious shit that takes itself too seriously whilst it underestimates its viewers' IQ and expects us not to laugh. But stuff like Expendables, Battleship etc, are good clean fun; turn your minds off and enjoy fun.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen Battleship but I agree with you regarding 'turning your mind off', I have to be in the right mood but I love a good mindless popcorn munching movie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    The other day i watched BATTLESHIP, i think some people are taking themselves and their countries too seriously, i mean have you read the rottentomatoes' reviews? I had lots of fun; films like this at least have some humor and self-mockery in them, they are honest imo. Not some heavy, pretentious shit that takes itself too seriously whilst it underestimates its viewers' IQ and expects us not to laugh. But stuff like Expendables, Battleship etc, are good clean fun; turn your minds off and enjoy fun.

I don't mind turning off my mind but when a film goes full retard like Battleship, Batte: LA and most of the first The Expendables then count me out!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!