• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    Sounds like it was a fantastic night cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    It was my third Morricone concert but it was awesome (again).
    And!!!! I've got my kazoo!!!!!!

*dances around the room and still figuring out how to play "Jingle Bells" on it*
    beer Thnx Bregt for that bit of extra to yesterday's concert
    wow, that was fun, let's do it again (Donkey in Shrek)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012 edited
    Does anyone know what the first encore was? EDIT: It's Here's to You from Sacco e Vanzetti

The other encores were the ones he did in London as well (Ecstacy of Gold and On Earth as it is In Heaven). He was much more interactive with the public then that time in London some years ago. Almost 16.000 people and the screaming, applause and footstamping (?) conintued for a long time. Spectacular!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    This was the programme.

PART 1
    The Life and the Legend
    The Untouchables
    Once Upon a Time in America (Deborah's Theme, Poverty, Once Upon a Time in America)
    The Legend of 1900

Tribute to Bolognini
    Per Le A,tiche Scale/Down the Ancient Stairs
    The Inheritance

Scattered Papers
    H2S
    Le Clan des Siciliens
    Love Circle (Metti, Una Sera a Cena and Uno Che Grida Amore)
    Maddalena (Come Maddalene)

Modernity of the Myth in the movies of Sergio Leone
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    The Ecstasy of Gold (it was only in the encore that is was really really good!)

PART 2
    Ostinato Ricercare per Un'Immagine
    Casulaties of War
    Abolisson from Queimada (Burn!)
    Chi Mai
    Cinema Paradiso
    Malèna
    The Mission (Gabriel's Oboe, Falls and On Earth as it is in Heaven)

ENCORE
    Here's to You
    The Ecstasy of Gold
    On Earth as it is in Heaven
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    Does anyone know what the first encore was? EDIT: It's Here's to You from Sacco e Vanzetti

The other encores were the ones he did in London as well (Ecstacy of Gold and On Earth as it is In Heaven). He was much more interactive with the public then that time in London some years ago. Almost 16.000 people and the screaming, applause and footstamping (?) conintued for a long time. Spectacular!

it was indeed amazing, 16.000 people and everyone went nuts. punk
    What an experience, though I hold the Morricone concert in Royal Albert Hall a little higher (probably because it was my first Morricone concert then shame )

still, fabulous evening, to see all those faces again with an evening of Morricone magic love
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow, sounded great!

Seems like it was pretty much the same program as in London, and the same amount of cheering (Michael Jackson-style) for the ol' man.

Did anything else happen, social-wise, after or before the concert?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Ps, I never enjoyed The Legend of 1900, Maddalena and Abolisson from Queimada more then now smile
  4. Thor wrote
    Wow, sounded great!

Seems like it was pretty much the same program as in London, and the same amount of cheering (Michael Jackson-style) for the ol' man.

most were already seated before the concert, and Bregt was stuck due to 5.000 Santa's running around in Antwerp biggrin

But we got to meet one another after the concert though, quick but memorable
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote

Met with Bob and a friend in the center, but it was so busy in the restaurant that we had to wait a little, turned out to be 25minutes, then had good food and beers, and then had to walk along running Christmas men and women, who'd blocked trams, forcing us to take a taxi and arrive just on time. dizzy

It's a pity I couldn't meet afterwards. Sorry guys!
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

Met with Bob and a friend in the center, but it was so busy in the restaurant that we had to wait a little, turned out to be 25minutes, then had good food and beers, and then had to walk along running Christmas men and women, who'd blocked trams, forcing us to take a taxi and arrive just on time. dizzy

It's a pity I wouldn't meet afterwards. Sorry guys!

we ate something 100 meters from the concert Hall (around 18.30) Bregt and we didn't have to wait at all, why did you have to search for something that far? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah.....waiting for the food to arrive. That rings a bell, Bregt & Thomas! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Great concert (still not left my head), amazing crowd, good atmosphere! Nice to meet the MT/SST regulars in the lobby and Urs and myself were surrounded by them in the concert hall wink

Here's a recording I did with a potato wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3rUkwS4_I
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    It was a great concert indeed
    I am sorry guys I was not able to join you
    The fact is we (me and my wife) arrived last minute and we had to leave just before the encores to catch the last train for Brussles (what a shame)
    I am sure I will meet you all next time somewhere!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Did anyone take any pictures -- either sneakingly during the concert or in terms of fan gatherings?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    There was a group shot and coverage of kazoos being exchanged so I'm sure footage will turn up biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I have my :kazoo: at least! Thanks a lot you all for again a great time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So here's a dissenting voice.

To be fair: it was an enjoyable concert.
    The selections, although mostly overly familiar for soundtrack fans (not a one of my personal favourites was played sad ), were good, executed with a clear intention for continued audience enjoyment (which interestingly minimised either performace of L'Estasi Dell'Oro to under two minutes, causing some impressive vocal tour de forces from soprano Susanna Rigacci).

And there were some absolutely lovely, very good renditions I wouldn't mind having a recording of, most notably an absolutely rousing variant of Queimada's Aboliçao and a beautiful version of Chi Mai?.
    And of course it is quite something to be a participant in an event that features a true living legend and arguably the most prolific film composer of the twentieth century (not the greatest as the rather underwhelming presenter introduced him as. But then said presenter continued to hail Morricone's contributions to The Simpsons and The Sopranos...so...you know...).

BUT

There were several things I wasn't keen on at all.
    First off, I think the venue was ridiculous: a sports arena for a symphonic concert?
    This should have been a proper concert hall or theatre. Far smaller in scope.
    Now the music came to us entirely amplified, with the orchestra only being visible on a huge screen that had been erected at the back of the arena. So the whole experience was more akin to seeing a movie registration than attending a concert.

The feeling of an artificial experience was amplified even more by the sound mixing, which was adjusted and readjusted constantly throughout the concert (even in the middle of tracks), which led to seeing -for example- a bugle player playing his heart out, with his effort actually only coming into audible play three bars later!

On that note: Marie-Lise had an excellent thought that I wish the event organisers had thought of: rather than projecting the orchestra's effort as if it were a concert registration we were watching, they could have actually enhanced the experience by showing stills or film posters for the peices being played. That would have been a far more poignant (not to mention visually less distractive) addition!

Oh, and leaving the concert I found Antwerpen to be pretty much closed!
    At midninght! In the holiday season! On a Saturday!
    So I was reduced to a late-night cola from the vending machine at the hotel, which was a shame. sad

But, to end on a definite "up" note, it was great seeing the gang! And to finally meet Elin and her utterly charming family and friends. Thanks for having a Token Dutchie as your mascotte this evening, guys! Believe me, some grumbling notwithstanding, I did enjoy myself!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

Oh, and leaving the concert I found Antwerpen to be pretty much closed!
    At midninght! In the holiday season! On a Saturday!
    So I was reduced to a late-night cola from the vending machine at the hotel, which was a shame. sad

:shock:

For real? That would have been an incredible downer for me. Could it be that you just didn't know which pubs to visit and that were still open? I don't think I've been to a single city in the world were it wasn't teaming with life on a Saturday at midnight.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    We still went for drinks after the concert untill 2 am in the vicinity of the central station. Antwerp is hardly closed on a saturday evening, most bars on the tourist squares/streets I imagine will close early, but there's still plenty open if you bother to look.

I agree about the venue being harsh for a concert such as this, there was a lot of noise you wouldn't have in a decent concert hall. Regarding the screen, it was Morricone's wish that no footage of the movies was to be shown (I read in article), he wants the audience to use their imagination; for me I don't like film footage as I'll start focusing if it's in sync or not. The only downside to the small screen was that from where we were sitting, a speaker was blocking it.

So yes, not an ideal location, but the atmosphere and performances made up for it (especially second half).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well...

Thor wrote
    Could it be that you just didn't know which pubs to visit and that were still open?

That wink.

I went into Antwerp with a friend who regularly comes there, and if you walk into the city a bit, you come into an area with plenty of cafe's still open. We've had drinks in a lovely jazz cafe until 2 after midnight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The concert venue is actually mostly used for concerts and rarely for sporting events. The Sportpaleis is out of the city center, but your hotel was somewhere in the neighbourhood (you said that). I'm sorry I wasn't there after the concert. I was there before, but go not reaction except for Bob and Thomas.
    Kazoo
  6. Martijn wrote
    But, to end on a definite "up" note, it was great seeing the gang! And to finally meet Elin and her utterly charming family and friends. Thanks for having a Token Dutchie as your mascotte this evening, guys! Believe me, some grumbling notwithstanding, I did enjoy myself!
    punk

It was a pleasure meeting you in real life as well (even though I had my moments of fumbling with my phone mid-concert, you were the perfect gentleman about it).

Also, I was exteremely happy about the places I booked. Smack in the middle, slightly elevated (so a good view)...

All in all, I'm a happy camper, to have been able to listen to Ennio in the company of my friends and family and to NOT have to work (much) that night.

I did work after I got home (until 2:30AM or so) and I got a wake-up call at 7:30AM and have been working until 6:30PM.

So now I'm a bit beat and I'm off to bath and then bed.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    francis wrote
    We still went for drinks after the concert untill 2 am in the vicinity of the central station. Antwerp is hardly closed on a saturday evening, most bars on the tourist squares/streets I imagine will close early, but there's still plenty open if you bother to look.

I was there (my hotel was in the neighborhood) and trust me, I wasn't the only one roaming the streets in a mystified fashion! So yeah, you'd probably need to know your way around a lot better than merely casually.
    (I did happen upon one or two still open bars, but they looked pretty grim!)

I did walk a bit (well, quite a bit, actually), off the beaten track, basically in expanding circles around the Meir, but no luck, evidently. sad After an hour I thought I'd had enough excercise for one night. smile

Regarding the screen, it was Morricone's wish that no footage of the movies was to be shown (I read in article), he wants the audience to use their imagination; for me I don't like film footage as I'll start focusing if it's in sync or not.

Oh, I agree completely!
    Film clips would have been even MORE distracting than what they did now.
    That's why I mentioned stills and posters. Nohting moving at all!
    That would have been so much easier on the eye.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    not a one of my personal favourites was played sad

The Big Gundown wins this epic battle! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    The feeling of an artificial experience was amplified even more by the sound mixing, which was adjusted and readjusted constantly throughout the concert (even in the middle of tracks), which led to seeing -for example- a bugle player playing his heart out, with his effort actually only coming into audible play three bars later!

Yeah, that was rather unfortunate and happened a few times. You saw that the camera and the screen were focusing on a certain musician trying his/her best, but as a attendee you were often unable to hear the actual sound. Suddenly, someone scrolled a button and there it was: the bulge for example.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Martijn wrote

I was there (my hotel was in the neighborhood) and trust me, I wasn't the only one roaming the streets in a mystified fashion! So yeah, you'd probably need to know your way around a lot better than merely casually.
    (I did happen upon one or two still open bars, but they looked pretty grim!)

I did walk a bit (well, quite a bit, actually), off the beaten track, basically in expanding circles around the Meir, but no luck, evidently. sad After an hour I thought I'd had enough excercise for one night. smile

You should have joined us! MT was underrepresented in the drinks department considering it was a Belgian concert IMO! Sacrilidge wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    not a one of my personal favourites was played sad

The Big Gundown wins this epic battle! punk

It kinda does, doesn't it? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The song (based on the theme) is extremely catchy and the voice of the singer is stunning. I think if I'd met her, I'd be a bit afraid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvt7myftCqw
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    Suddenly, someone scrolled a button and there it was: the bulge for example.

Yes.
    That was quite embarrassing.