• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2013
    Although i generally agree with you, still you have to admit that sometimes, he makes some completely out of place choices, fanboy musical choices that are indeed what Moriconne said: without coherence to what's going on on-screen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Plus he's such friends with that RZA douche lately, i mean someone has to say something about that too! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Although i generally agree with you, still you have to admit that sometimes, he makes some completely out of place choices, fanboy musical choices that are indeed what Moriconne said: without coherence to what's going on on-screen.

I disagree with that. There's ALWAYS some sort of purpose to Tarantino's choices, whether it's in the tone and style or in the association in relation to what he wants to convey with the scene. It's a different approach to film music that IMO is no less valid than a more traditional, instrumental underscore.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Demetris wrote
    Plus he's such friends with that RZA douche lately, i mean someone has to say something about that too! biggrin

I'm sorry but I happen to be a fan of that 'douche', what music genre have you changed in your lifetime so far and left an considerable impact in?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like RZA too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

I disagree with that. There's ALWAYS some sort of purpose to Tarantino's choices, whether it's in the tone and style or in the association in relation to what he wants to convey with the scene. It's a different approach to film music that IMO is no less valid than a more traditional, instrumental underscore.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excuse me, my Bieber cd is finished, i have to go and put some Nicki Minaj in. I'll be back in a while wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013
    Turns out it was taken out of context. What a surprise!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/03/18/e … t-feuding/

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2013 edited
    My guess is that Peter and James will get this immediately.

SQUEALER
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013 edited
    On the 21st of may Ennio Morricone is doing a concert at the Cannes festival and a movie theater very close to me is doing a Live screening of the concert! Although I've never been to one of these movie theater concert showings, I think I might give it a go and eat popcorn and nachos during a Morricone concert smile

http://www.euroscoop.be/nl/lanaken/film … e-concert/
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

yeah

I agree Thor. But it doesn't always work. And I must say DJANGO left me a bit disappointed on this piece. Not the rap piece -- that's all fine. But the spaghetti western music itself -- hardly a novel music choice for a western. I can take it in KILL BILL and INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, where it brings something new to those genres, but here it really is de rigeur. And then there's that curious use of Goldsmith's 'Nicaragua', where Tarantino almost seems to slow down the film just to fit in a piece of music -- truly bizarre scene that robbed Samuel L Jackson's later emergence as a villain of any potential surprise.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

yeah

I agree Thor. But it doesn't always work. And I must say DJANGO left me a bit disappointed on this piece. Not the rap piece -- that's all fine. But the spaghetti western music itself -- hardly a novel music choice for a western. I can take it in KILL BILL and INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, where it brings something new to those genres, but here it really is de rigeur. And then there's that curious use of Goldsmith's 'Nicaragua', where Tarantino almost seems to slow down the film just to fit in a piece of music -- truly bizarre scene that robbed Samuel L Jackson's later emergence as a villain of any potential surprise.

I loved that scene. Almost made it out to be the 'parade of the chariot' sequence from BEN HUR....in Tarantino's unique fashion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2013 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I agree Thor. But it doesn't always work. And I must say DJANGO left me a bit disappointed on this piece. Not the rap piece -- that's all fine. But the spaghetti western music itself -- hardly a novel music choice for a western.

Novel can be good, but one shouldn't always be novel. If they had been riding around on bikes instead of horses, that would have been novel as well, but it would hardly have been a good or sane choice to make. Considering that the movie was Tarantino's homage to spaghetti westerns it simply had to use spaghetti western music. This was the one movie where it couldn't be left out.

Anyhoo, I love all the spaghetti western pieces that Tarantino chose. The Nicaragua piece was great as well, but perhaps I'm biased to how it works in the movie since I love it as standalone music...

Peter smile

PS. I just want people to know that when people bump this thread and the R.I.P. In Memoriam thread on the same day it always gives me a near-heart attack.
  2. Of course novel isn't always good but tarantinos main asset is his capacity to surprise. When he slips into doing things that you can see coming he's not bringing his A game. Bringing delerue or giallo morricone to a western would have kept it fresher.

The Nicaragua choice is fresh. But the sequence stops the film in its tracks just as it enters its trickiest stretch. Which is the screenplays problem to an extent, but judicious editing would have helped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love it when films "stop in their track" to fous on a particular audiovisual tableau (giving narrative second priority).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2013 edited
    plindboe wrote

PS. I just want people to know that when people bump this thread and the R.I.P. In Memoriam thread on the same day it always gives me a near-heart attack.

Yes Peter, I got exactly the same heart-in-mouth feeling last night when I saw this thread and the RIP thread together.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Thor wrote
    I love it when films "stop in their track" to fous on a particular audiovisual tableau (giving narrative second priority).

And so do I.

When it works.

Just to throw a bit of fat on the fire, I probably would've liked PROMETHEUS more if it'd done that more instead of only presenting audiovisual tableau as an accessory to a lousy plot.

* (It wasn't even particularly bad here, but it is the point where the screenplay really starts to slow down significantly after establishing a certain kind of rhythm. The dog scene just before was probably where the problems really started.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Yes Peter, I got exactly the same heart-in-mouth feeling last night when I saw this thread and the RIP thread together.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. There's a good chance, on that dreadful day in a very distant future, that we'll find out that way. Though I suspect that both threads will have above 10 posts each. My heart skips a beat every time I see them both bumped, even when they only have a single post each, which is a bit silly.

Peter
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, that's exactly the way I find out about John Barry's passing was logging on here first and seeing the two threads together, as soon as I saw it without opening one of them I just knew what was coming sad When I saw Ennio & RIP together last night my first thought was a pit sinking 'oh no'. Glad it was wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013
    Brand new score from the Maestro:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Come-un-Delfino … un+delfino

As far as I can tell it's a tv series continuation of the movie with the same name he scored a couple of years ago, but based on the clips none of the themes from that are carried over - it's all new. (And sounds great!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Brand new score from the Maestro:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Come-un-Delfino … un+delfino

As far as I can tell it's a tv series continuation of the movie with the same name he scored a couple of years ago, but based on the clips none of the themes from that are carried over - it's all new. (And sounds great!)

Interesting, but ghastly cover art, though, if that is it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Possibly the worst ever? (I'm not usually one for such hyperbole, either.)
  4. It looks like standard RTI artwork. These tend to be digital-only releases and there's only "bare bones" time spent on things like artwork.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013
    Photos of Morricone recording the score for a tv commercial directed by Giuseppe Tornatore, last week in Prague:

http://www.cnsostudios.com/news/ennio-m … bbana.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013
    My review of the brand new, dazzling Come un Delfino 2:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3577
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013
    I sometimes wonder whether Morricone has found the cure against aging.

Anyway, the review of the new album sounds great! I especially like to hear that it doesn't reuse material from the original series, and that there are a lot of themes. That's exactly what I crave.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2013
    Some forthcoming Morricone concerts. May have to go to one of these... perhaps Amsterdam (unless London is added - he seems to be doing a bit of a "tour", which is extraordinary given his age).

Nov 3
    Ennio Morricone
    National Palace of Arts Ukraine
    Kiev

Nov 8
    Ennio Morricone
    Minsk Arena
    Minsk

Nov 13
    Ennio Morricone
    Crocus Expo International Exhibition Center
    Moscow
    Nov 14
    Ennio Morricone
    Crocus Expo International Exhibition Center
    Moscow

Dec 10
    Ennio Morricone
    Arena Armeec
    Sofia

Feb 11
    Ennio Morricone
    O2 World
    Berlin

Feb 16
    Ennio Morricone
    Wiener Stadthalle
    Vienna

Feb 22
    Ennio Morricone
    Zorlu Center
    Istanbul

May 3
    Ennio Morricone
    Ziggo Dome
    Amsterdam
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2013
    Moscow would be awesome. I've always wanted to go there (and Russia in general). But I'm not that big a fan, and now that I've seen him live once, I don't feel the immediate urge for another.

Good to see the ol' man keeping busy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013
    New concert date added for Belgium, april 11th in Paleis 12 (Brussels).

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1010/Muzie … s-12.dhtml
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013
    Again??

The man is indefatigable!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn