• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    keky wrote
    Thanks for the answers. Now you didn't make it easy for me, because there is one on e-bay but it costs more than 50 USD. But if it is really that good I might think about bidding on it...

The thing with Morricone is that there are so many masterpieces out there. I'm sure you can find one of his other masterpieces for a much more decent price. smile

I also think 50 is a bit exessive for that one. It's relatively new, so I'm sure you will be able to find it much cheaper.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talos wrote
    The only issue I have with Morricone’s compilation albums, is that they mostly always have tracks of the same scores. 1900, some spaghetti westerns, the Mission etc etc. I would love to get a nice album on par with the yo yo ma one with some other choices. Wouldn’t it be great to have a nicely re-recorded adventure/fantasy/scifi album from Morricone. Tracks like:

Main title theme from Red Sonja (nice “horse riding” music with that cute high pitched Morriconesque brass work.
    Love theme from Red Sonja (wooohh… love that one, super romantic, great theme)
    Some tracks from Hundra… (same “great” choice of choral text… ahum…”hundra, hundra, hundra, hundra… as Red Sonja’s “Sonja, Sonja, Sonja, Sonja”, seriously… cheesy as this sounds, its really great.

And more tracks like these, I don’t have many albums of Morricone, so I can’t really judge which other similar tracks can be included. But given the HUGE number of movies he scored, that shouldn’t be too difficult. I don’t want to hear ANOTHER compilation which has “the ecstasy of gold” in it…

But how marketable would a compilation like that be? Morricone is enough of a minefield without filling an album with obscure titles that many will never have heard of or for films that sucked so bad people would be put off anyway. Unless you get an Erich Kunzel type who's into recording obscure Morricone gems it just ain't gonna happen.

I do agree 100% with you though Talos, I'd pick up an album like that in an instant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Vibrant comments on Il Guardiani Del Cielo

Now why do you do this all the time? How the fudge am i ever supposed to complete that want list?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    I have yet another question: what is Il Principe del Deserto like? Is it any good? I only know the main theme which is great but I would like to know a bit more about the soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    keky wrote
    Thanks for the answers. Now you didn't make it easy for me, because there is one on e-bay but it costs more than 50 USD. But if it is really that good I might think about bidding on it...

The thing with Morricone is that there are so many masterpieces out there. I'm sure you can find one of his other masterpieces for a much more decent price. smile

I also think 50 is a bit exessive for that one. It's relatively new, so I'm sure you will be able to find it much cheaper.

Peter smile

I would consider I Guardiani del Cielo as one of the Morricone holy grails. Like others have mentioned it's a stunner from the start to the end. I've seen it go regularly over $70 and I considered myself lucky to snag it for under $40 sometime back. I am still looking for a 2nd copy to send to SST.

Il Principe del Deserto is lovely as well. You can listen to it at SST if you want.

There's a review for Guardiani at MFTM
    http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/review.asp?ID=1626
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008 edited
    keky wrote
    I have yet another question: what is Il Principe del Deserto like? Is it any good? I only know the main theme which is great but I would like to know a bit more about the soundtrack.

It's another masterpiece (sorry Demetris). There are two wonderful main themes, the breathtakingly beautiful "Il figlio e la nostalgia" and the majestic "Il principe del deserto" theme, and they are repeated frequently throughout the album. They are so good though, that they don't overstay their welcome. There are some great standalone melodies: "Arrivano" is a great celebratory, finale type that after a bit of tension build up goes into a very catchy climax. "Morte di Mulay" is a somewhat contemplative and relaxing theme (perhaps a bit dull when you hear it the first time), that has a very catchy ending that easily lodges itself in one's brain. A real gem is "Ninna nanna per un'insonnia" which sounds like the main theme from "Il deserto dei Tartari", but much nicer. It's very solemn at first, but becomes more romantic later on.

One problem with the release is that it suffers from being too long, with 27 tracks and almost 80 minutes of music, because it ends up with a significant quantity of rather uninteresting suspense music. If you program out the uninteresting music though, down to about 50 minutes of music, it won't take you long to realize that it's another one of his masterpieces. I rate it: *****

Bhelpuri gave a good advice with SST. You can go there and listen to the 5 melodies I mentioned above so you can decide whether it's your thing.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    I would consider I Guardiani del Cielo as one of the Morricone holy grails. Like others have mentioned it's a stunner from the start to the end. I've seen it go regularly over $70 and I considered myself lucky to snag it for under $40 sometime back. I am still looking for a 2nd copy to send to SST.

I didn't know it was so sought after. I just bought it the day it came out without knowing anything about it, for a typical CD price. smile

BhelPuri wrote
    Il Principe del Deserto is lovely as well. You can listen to it at SST if you want.

I can see why you like SST. I've been hanging out there from time to time, and I discover something new and great almost every time I listen.

BhelPuri wrote
    There's a review for Guardiani at MFTM
    http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/review.asp?ID=1626

I wonder if the 3 rating is an error, as he doesn't appear to have anything negative to say about it.

Peter smile
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Vibrant comments on Il Guardiani Del Cielo

Now why do you do this all the time? How the fudge am i ever supposed to complete that want list?

It's Morricone, Demetris. You aren't supposed to complete the want list biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Thanks for the detailed answers! I guess I will give Il principe del deserto a try! As for I guardiani del cielo I managed to find a copy in an Italian online store for 15 EUR. I think it was their last copy because now it says "out of stock". Now I just have to hope it will arrive safe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    OK, since I have received really detailed answers, I try again, but now not about Ennio, but his son, Andrea. I cannot find any info about nor sound clips from the soundtrack La Luna Fredda. I usually find his music very touching so I might be interested in this score as well, but I would like to know a litlle bit more about it before deciding to buy it. Thank in advance! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    Please, some info about La luna fredda! It ends tomorrow on e-bay and I don't know if I should bid on it...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    keky wrote
    Please, some info about La luna fredda! It ends tomorrow on e-bay and I don't know if I should bid on it...

Try PM'ing Peter or James ( Plindboe & Southall )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    keky wrote

I like it. It has a gorgeous main theme that is very much like Ennio. There are a bunch of pretty cues and some decent amount of tension (and some of it quite as unlistenable as Ennio on suspense mode). It doesn't appear in the auctions that often. I had to wait for years to get one.
    If you are finding it for a decent price, go ahead and get it. If you don't like it you can always sell it later (for the same price or even more, thanks to its obscurity)

I think Peter commented on this score sometime back. Try the forum search to get that thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008
    keky,

I'm not yet familiar enough with "La luna fredda" to be as detailed as I was concerning Il principe, but this is my impression so far:

it's a decent score, with a lovely theme. Sounds very much like his father had composed it, though there's an Andrea sound to it as well, similar to "Liberty heights". It's very slow, but ultra romantic. It's kinda monothematic, but I still find the score listenable all the way through.

If you like Andrea's romantic side I'm sure you will like it, perhaps even love it. Just don't expect a masterpiece on the level of "Liberty heights", and I don't think you will be disappointed. If you can get it at a reasonable price, I suggest you go for it (at own risk of course).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Thanks for the answers! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    wave

If you get it, you can always write your impression of it in this thread. Would be interesting for sure.

Peter smile
  2. New interview Morricone, from a site:
    http://mixonline.com/post/features/inte … index.html

What stood out to me is this unusual bit:
    Recently, Morricone recorded music there for an ad for a new Lancia car, featuring Richard Gere and directed by Harald Zwart (Pink Panther 2), so he does more than just feature scoring.

This the ad?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVn31L3e8g
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    That's the one, Justin. We discussed it on page 6 in this thread. The piece is called "Verso est". Bhelpuri gave a link to the itunes store so you can buy it.

It's a great piece, but the ad used the highlights (The first 13 seconds and the last 32 seconds). The middle section of this 3:04 long piece is rather uneventful. That said, it's still such a majestic piece, well worth the money.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Isn't that ad is just groce and wrong in so many ways, or is that just me?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awesome! Harald Zwart is Norwegian, and one of the very few from our small country that has managed to create a career for himself in Hollywood. But that he would be getting Morricone to score his stuff...well, I never expected that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    If any one of you had downloaded "Verso est" and could send it to me, to my e-mail address (keky@freemail.hu) I would be very grateful. It is not available on the Hungarian Itunes store and I am not allowed to download it from the USA Itunes store. Thanks in advance!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    keky wrote
    If any one of you had downloaded "Verso est" and could send it to me, to my e-mail address (keky@freemail.hu) I would be very grateful. It is not available on the Hungarian Itunes store and I am not allowed to download it from the USA Itunes store. Thanks in advance!

Done. smile

Well, I hope it's done. It's the first time I've tried to send a mail via gmail.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt wrote
    Isn't that ad is just groce and wrong in so many ways, or is that just me?

I think it's beautiful. Of course Morricone is biasing me. I'm sure I'd dislike the ad as much as you, had the music been typical ad music.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Thank you, it arrived safe and sound! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Great!

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008
    Today marks the 80th birthday of Maestro Morricone! Happy Birthday Maestro and give us many more beautiful music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Happy one!

Am i the only one who doesn't go nuts over the new Lancia Delta ad Music though? It has nothing special in it, imo and he has written dozens of highly superior pieces.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    keky wrote
    Today marks the 80th birthday of Maestro Morricone! Happy Birthday Maestro and give us many more beautiful music!

To the Maestro...

Salute beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Well... I have just seen that other sources date his birthday on the 10th of NOVEMBER! So which one is the real one? confused