• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008
    keky, he's still 79. smile In a month he'll turn 80.

Demetris, I don't think you're the only one who doesn't go nuts over the ad music. Perhaps I'm getting a bit overexcited because we haden't seen anything new from Ennio for so long. I agree that he have written superior pieces on numerous occasions, but I still find this one a great piece of music. Also I don't agree about "it has nothing special in it", I think this wordless soprano is a great find, and I hope he'll use her for future projects.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Great find? How come? Isn't that one of the most cliched devices in film music?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

....along with full symphony orchestras and choirs!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Thor wrote
    Awesome! Harald Zwart is Norwegian, and one of the very few from our small country that has managed to create a career for himself in Hollywood. But that he would be getting Morricone to score his stuff...well, I never expected that.

He was born in the Netherlands, but raised in Norwegian. He learned his director skilsl at the Dutch filmacademy and speaks very good Dutch. So much for some more useless info wink
  1. Nice info! I think I've heard he's Dutch, though with that name I rather thought German
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote

Wordless sorano, a cliché? Of course. But individual sopranos differ.

Imagine someone making the comment "violins are such a cliché" after watching the shower scene in "Psycho". Sure, they'd technically be correct, but their comment would still be painful to hear, as it neglects the fact that the violin sound can differ.

I like this particular soprano because she has a voice that I haven't heard in any Morricone piece before. Perhaps it's less classical than his usual voices, and I find that interesting.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2008
    I know what you mean mate, it's just that i didn't feel anything absolutely special about the piece. And i am with Bregt when saying that this ad is so wrong in so many places. Now I'll go drift with the beauty of FATELESS instead smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    We can agree on Fateless. beer You inspired me to listen to this score as well.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

True, but not when Morricone is doing it. After all isn't he one of the first to use the wordless vocals as a musical device prominently in scores? His success and the imitations by those that came later on, created the cliche.

I like the music in the clip. Is it available in any place other than Itunes?

I'm not sure what you folks find inappropriate in the video.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Richard Geere carrying hollywood to the Buddhist monks at Nepal? Nah, nothing's wrong with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Ah, come on! It's silly of course, but that's not too different from many ads these days. I thought you guys were fussing about some politicallly incorrect stuff about Tibet. Is he bringing Hollywood to Tibet? I interpret it as he likes his ride that he continues on to Tibet (yeah, crazy but so what?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2008
    I don't see a problem with the ad either, other than Gere's usual smug smile. But I'm used to it from seeing movies with him, so I don't mind it really. *shrugs*

Bhel, if you can't get the "Verso est" piece I can mail it to you. I haven't heard of other places than itunes that have it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2008
    http://www.spaghettiwesternorchestra.com/

Click on VIDEO CLIPS to see some excerpts.

I can't take credit for finding it, it's from this thread: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts … ;archive=0

I'm amazed how these 5 loonies are able to recapture the spirit of the original scores, something no one else seems capable of anymore, even Morricone's own live performances (as Jim notes in the FSM thread).

And a couple of utube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnU7Lz8OJcM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrenPqXgdBk

Peter punk
  2. AMAZING!!! And they have already been here in Germany... crazy
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008
    Is the car commercial music released anywhere. I would enjoy hearing it on its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    Panthera wrote
    Is the car commercial music released anywhere. I would enjoy hearing it on its own.

Drop me an e-mail, I can send it to you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    Intrada Announces:

TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS
    *Expanded Edition*

Composed and Conducted by ENNIO MORRICONE

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 81

When writer-actors Gene Quintano and Tony Anthony teamed with director Ferdinando Baldi for 1981’s Comin’ at Ya! their profitable transformation of the Spaghetti Western into a 3-D extravaganza sent a stereoscopic shockwave through Hollywood, inspiring a new wave of paper glass-required entertainments like Spacehunter, Jaws 3-D, Amityville 3-D, The Man Who Wasn’t There, Parasite and Metalstorm. Now fueled with bigger aspirations than doing another vivid horse opera, Quintano, Anthony and Baldi decided to go on a mystical treasure hunt for their next film. But where Indiana Jones only dealt with 2-D snakes, Anthony’s adventurer J.T. Striker (and his audience) would be ducking demons, vultures, arrows, skeletons and a fountain pen in “Super-Vision 3-D” for 1983’s Treasure of the Four Crowns from Cannon Pictures. Along for the extra-sensory ride would be Ennio Morricone, whose majestic score would lend the often-outlandish visuals a dramatic gravitas worthy of “a world where good and evil collide.” Morricone begins with the aptly named “Crowning Glory” theme, music that builds with a kingly sense of honor, until it’s joined by a full, glorious orchestra and chorus. With trumpeting hosannas that recall his biblical work on Moses, Morricone not only bestows the relics with religious awe, but also makes Striker stand out as a hero much greater than himself. The score is uniquely Morricone -- repleat with brooding, noble themes and eerie orchestral suspense—the kind of musical treasure that was the distinct voice of Italy’s greatest and most prolific maestro.

Whether it’s the result of any re-editing that Cannon did for Crowns’ American translation, or how its makers chose to cut the music in, the surprisingly small amount of Morricone’s score that’s heard in the film rarely reflects what’s occurring on screen. Any attempt to decipher the puzzling use of Morricone’s score was compounded by the Four Crowns LP (and subsequent LP-mastered CD) on the General Music label in 1983, which reshuffled tracks and repeated others in its attempt to provide a more “musical” listening experience. But now, finally heard here in its complete stereo form from the recently discovered original master elements, the Four Crowns soundtrack reveals itself to be a real find in Morricone’s temple of scores, possessing as much melodic lyricism and thematic passion as his soundtracks for the far bigger pictures that would soon follow.

This release is limited to 1500 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 81
    Retail Price: 19.99
    IN STOCK NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5950/.f

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    I must have this! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    I must have this! cool

Peter / James

What's your view on the score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    I've never heard it! Over to Peter...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008
    Sorry for the late reply, been way too busy to have any fun (and will be even more busy for about a month, starting after this post).

The "Treasure of the four crowns" score has a great main theme, that in the first track reaches majestic heights. The price of the album is worth it for this track alone. The theme also appears in some sweeter arrangements. There's also a kinda rock inspired track, called "Bobsled run", that's absolutely fun and catchy (I once featured it in a Guess the Score game, and a couple of people thought the composer was Bill Conti). The rest consists mostly of suspense, a jazzy source music cue and a silly, busy little track.

I'm not sure how much to rate it, *** or **** perhaps. I need to listen to it more to be able decide.

Peter smile *gets to work*

PS. Hey, it's Morricone's b-day in 23 minutes! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    Sorry for the late reply, been way too busy to have any fun (and will be even more busy for about a month, starting after this post).

The "Treasure of the four crowns" score has a great main theme, that in the first track reaches majestic heights. The price of the album is worth it for this track alone. The theme also appears in some sweeter arrangements. There's also a kinda rock inspired track, called "Bobsled run", that's absolutely fun and catchy (I once featured it in a Guess the Score game, and a couple of people thought the composer was Bill Conti). The rest consists mostly of suspense, a jazzy source music cue and a silly, busy little track.

I'm not sure how much to rate it, *** or **** perhaps. I need to listen to it more to be able decide.

Peter smile *gets to work*

PS. Hey, it's Morricone's b-day in 23 minutes! punk

Thanks Peter, I think I'll be getting it.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the maestro, long may he continue punk cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Happy 80th Birthday Maestro Morricone! I hope you will give us some more of your majestic, beautiful music in the coming years! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Happy birthday maestro! You're the greatest...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Today I listened for the first time to "Secret of the Saraha" and "Morricone Mondo". Very very nice, the first grand and imposing while soothing at some parts... the second one is very hip and fresh. (in an old fashioned yet very cool way)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  3. And Morricone WILL score the new Quentin Tarantino movie - 'Inglorious Bastards'.

Wow. Who would have expected that?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    franz_conrad wrote
    And Morricone WILL score the new Quentin Tarantino movie - 'Inglorious Bastards'.

Wow. Who would have expected that?

I am not a big fan of Tarantino, but I am looking forward to this score!
  4. Happy Birthday, Maestro.

Cool about the Tarantino!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Southall wrote
    Seriously? Wow!

That's what they're saying over at FSM. Hey, it sounds like a dream come true!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am