• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited
    NP: LISTEN / STRETCHING OUT (The Alan Bown)

Bown played with John Barry, I believe, but I listen to him because John Helliwell and Dougie Thomson both played in his band before they joined Supertramp. Jazz/blues stuff with 70's prog vibes. The vocalist is a bit annoying, though. This is two LP's on one CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    Thor wrote
    NP: LISTEN / STRETCHING OUT (The Alan Bown)

Bown played with John Barry, I believe, but I listen to him because John Helliwell and Dougie Thomson both played in his band before they joined Supertramp. Jazz/blues stuff with 70's prog vibes. The vocalist is a bit annoying, though. This is two LP's on one CD.

I think Bown joined the John Barry Seven after Barry had left for pastures new. The Seven continued for a number of years after Barry's departure. I'm guessing Bown took Barry's role on trumpet?

Don't take anything I've said as fact, I'm merely going by memory, I'll have to look this up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Tears for Fears - Elemental

This race is already run
    Get off your horse
    Get on this train
    Welcome to the real world
    I said, Welcome to the real world
    Are we rushing like the wind
    Naked out and naked in
    Welcome to the free world
    I said, Welcome to the me world
    Are we rushing like the wind

Put your lovin' arms around

Did you lose your faith in God, no
    Does your conscience always get you down
    Fall to pieces
    Rough and tumble
    Does your conscience always get you down

These days it's all in the mind
    It's elemental
    Don't say you're up when you're down
    It's elemental

This your new year's resolution
    Nothing doing revolution

Take another leap in the dark
    With a humble heart
    Do yourself some good
    What did you become
    Patience
    Be sure
    Baby
    Baby

These days it's all in the mind
    It's elemental
    Don't say you're up when you're down
    It's elemental

Awesome. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LIONHEART - Kate Bush

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    NP : Easy Listening Compilation

Loads of tracks by the likes of Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Petula Clark, Julie London, Sandie Shaw, Matt Monro and many more, most people here would recognise most of them as they're the artists most popular songs. It's a very VERY enjoyable compilation cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    elevator music? Are you ok?
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    elevator music? Are you ok?
    Thomas

Yer kiddin' Tom, some great recording artist there. Though some tracks are very cheesy. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Speaking of elevator music. I have a CD Koehne: Inflight Entertainment on Naxos and the first track is named Elevator Music. Anyone heard this CD?

NP: Tchaikovsky Symphony No.4
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FRANK - Amy Whinehouse

Gorgeous album and one I'd normally play late at night, lovely and laid back....beautiful.

One can only hope that Amy helps herself out, she's such a mess ( I've seen her in person and she was truly rank ) but I feel her story won't have a good ending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    ColSharpe wrote
    Speaking of elevator music. I have a CD Koehne: Inflight Entertainment on Naxos and the first track is named Elevator Music. Anyone heard this CD?

NP: Tchaikovsky Symphony No.4

I once remember attending a concert where the 4th was played. The man next to me, who I didn't know, fell asleep during the 3rd movement. Of course if you know the piece he was awakened at the beginning of the 4th movement. It was rather funny.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    sdtom wrote

I once remember attending a concert where the 4th was played. The man next to me, who I didn't know, fell asleep during the 3rd movement. Of course if you know the piece he was awakened at the beginning of the 4th movement. It was rather funny.
    Thomas

biggrin 5th and 6th Symphonies have some sudden moments like this too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009
    Elton John is playing just around the corner from where I live this coming Saturday....He'd better not spoil my afternoons appreciation of fine music! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Elton John is playing just around the corner from where I live this coming Saturday....He'd better not spoil my afternoons appreciation of fine music! angry

Go buy rotten eggs.
    Go throw.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Go buy rotten eggs.
    Go throw.

Maybe!? wink

I'm just not quite close enough to qualify for free tickets. Elton ain't really my thing but you can be sure he'll put on one helluva show and unlike some so called "mega stars" whose names I'll not mention ( BRITNEY SPEARS, MADONNA ) Elton doesn't mime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited
    Elton John rules! GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD is one of the best pop albums of all time, period! I'd love to see him live some day. He's definitely MY thang.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    I love Elton John. Especially the early 70s period. One evening I was walking home and heard "I guess thats why they call it the blues" being played really loud somewhere nearby. But it wasn't the album version or the live in Madison square garden version, so after being completely confused for a couple of minutes I realized that he was holding a concert just down the road from where I live! My flat is in a tall building so by having my window open the sound was great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Elton John rules! GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD is one of the best pop albums of all time, period! I'd love to see him live some day. He's definitely MY thang.

Like I said Thor, not my thing but I'd like to see him live and no one can deny that the man has written some of the classic songs of our times.

Bruce Springsteen ain't my thing either but he's playing Glastonbury so I'll check him out, another performer who gives his all live.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 11 ( The Year 1905 ) - Dmitri Shostakovitch

I am humbled by such true genius.

( a bit of a pompous statement I know but this work always makes me go WOW! )
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Timmer wrote

I must confess I never heard it, but I have Kondrashin boxset on Melodiya waiting for me.

NP: Gorecki: Symphony No. 3 'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs'
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ColSharpe wrote
    Timmer wrote

I must confess I never heard it, but I have Kondrashin boxset on Melodiya waiting for me.

NP: Gorecki: Symphony No. 3 'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs'

The recordings aren't brilliant but Kondrashin is one helluva conductor, I would particularly single out his interpretation of Shostakovitch # 7, IMO the definition of orchestrally mind-blowing....make sure you play it LOUD!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Planets, Star Wars and Also Sprach Zarathustra
    Zubin Mehta and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

I think this is my VERY FIRST post in this thread. As you all know I rarely spin ANYTHING from the classical world. I know... I know... I'm not sure why exactly but I'm trying to remedy that. Slowly but surely I'm starting to listen to more. Not just the classics but also more concert work by film composers as well.

Anywho, I'm currently listening to Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss... a classic for sure... and is only the second time that I've spun this work in its entirety. It is splendid. I love the variation of the three note trumpet call in "Of Science" and "Dance Song." Power stuff. I also hear Richard Harvey's inspiration for his classic trailer music piece, "Reach For The Stars," in those two movements as well.

Overall, I delightful listen with a film music quality that I like to hear!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik, pardon me if I've asked you this before but have you heard any of Wojciech Kilar's concert work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Funny you mention this... I just picked this one up yesterday. I've been reading a biography on Guns N' Roses to learn that Yellow Brick Road was something that Axl liked to play and inspired some of his ballads including the epic "Novemeber Rain." I'm familiar with a few tunes from that albums but I'm looking forward to spin it in it entirely.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik, pardon me if I've asked you this before but have you heard any of Wojciech Kilar's concert work?

You have asked me and I have NEVER answered you. shame

I have NO Kilar concert works.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There are far better concert works to get FIRST, before you go to contemporary / film composer's concerts works wink smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    There are far better concert works to get FIRST, before you go to contemporary / film composer's concerts works wink smile

That may be so but then you'd get all of us recommending this, that and the other to the point of blindness.

Stick with contemporary and film composers for now Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I won't recommend anything; Erik tells us what style he likes, and it's easy to limit the choices down then; you don't have to recommend everything from all eras. But starting from contemporary / modern / film composers' concert works imo is like starting in reverse and not in the proper way; except if Erik isn't interested in the masterpieces of our music literature, and only in the contemporary repertoire which is another case all and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, some of my favorite concert works are by film composers... especially Michael Kamen dipping into the unfamiliar with his sax and electric guitar concertos. Or Elfman's bizzare yet highly entertaining Serenada Schizophrana, Lee Holdridge's GORGEOUS Violin Concerto and Scenes of Summer, John Barry's Beyondness of Things and Eternal Echoes, Christopher Gordon's Circa or Bass Trombone Concerto etc. But yes, I am looking to expand my horizons. I have a good chunk of classical in my collection... it's just getting the nerve to play them that's the issue.

Anyway, I will be going back to THIS THREAD more often for recommendations and will be viewing this thread more often for additional recommendations and inspiration.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

NAXOS do two Kilar CD's, both are brilliant!

I would particularly recommend the one that features Exodus for Orchestra and Choir punk

( it was used in one of the Schindler's List trailers )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

NAXOS do two Kilar CD's, both are brilliant!

I would particularly recommend the one that features Exodus for Orchestra and Choir punk

( it was used in one of the Schindler's List trailers )

Cool. I can get my hands on September Symphony. Have you heard that?

-Erik-