• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    NP : SIMPLE THINGS - Zero 7

Warm.... lazy day,.....perfect music....bliss! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEST OF - Frank Sinatra

Pure, unadulterated class cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hard to choose the best of sinatra as he had so many
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Hard to choose the best of sinatra as he had so many
    Thomas

This CD is just full of the usual classics Tom, y'know, Fly Me To The Moon, I've Got You Under My Skin, My Way etc etc....I love all the swing classics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I like Sinatra too. In fact I've a 6 CD set of everything he ever did for films.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009
    NP : THE NINTH WAVE - Kate Bush

This is the long track from Hounds of Love, a very Floyd like piece.

Have you heard this Thor? wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Nope. I've been meaning to check out Bush for a long time - not because of the Gilmour connection, but because I remember having the KICK INSIDE album on a cassette as a kid. I found it a little too weird then, but I'd like to see what I think now that I'm old and weary and seasoned in taste and culture. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nope. I've been meaning to check out Bush for a long time - not because of the Gilmour connection, but because I remember having the KICK INSIDE album on a cassette as a kid. I found it a little too weird then, but I'd like to see what I think now that I'm old and weary and seasoned in taste and culture. wink

Hounds of Love is a later album but as fine a place as any to discover this genius. I honestly think you'd love this album Thor.
    Dave Gilmour certainly knows true talent when he hears it.

The Kick Inside I bought as a teenager and I still love it, the songs are a bit ropey at times and it's no surprise that Kate wrote them between the age of 15 - 19 years old....it's an incredibly sexual album. cool wink
  1. NP: ABBA -- Golden Hits

Think of me what you will, but this is music that never dies, so fetching and timeless
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hounds of Love is a later album but as fine a place as any to discover this genius. I honestly think you'd love this album Thor.

The Kick Inside I bought as a teenager and I still love it, the songs are a bit ropey at times and it's no surprise that Kate wrote them between the age of 15 - 19 years old....it's an incredibly sexual album. cool wink

I'll check it out. I see that Alan Parsons regulars Stuart Elliot and Ian Bairnson also performed on KICK INSIDE, so with the Gilmour thing, this obviously must be something for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: ABBA -- Golden Hits

Think of me what you will, but this is music that never dies, so fetching and timeless

Indeed it is. ABBA is intelligent AND commercial pop at its best. My favourite album is actually their last, THE VISITORS from 1982 (which points to the melodic grandeur of the CHESS musical a couple of years later).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    I own nothing from Abba or Kate Bush save a song or two from soundtracks
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: PIANO CONCERTO....Vittorio Giannini Is anyone else familiar with this fine concerto?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I own nothing from Abba or Kate Bush save a song or two from soundtracks

Kate Bush sings the vocal version of Brazil on Michael Kamen's score for Brazil, it's very short but very beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'll check it out. I see that Alan Parsons regulars Stuart Elliot and Ian Bairnson also performed on KICK INSIDE, so with the Gilmour thing, this obviously must be something for me.

How did I not spot that!? shocked wink

There's a long and illustrious list of great talents on all of Kate's albums from Michael Kamen, Michael Nyman, Dave Gilmour, bass player Eberhard Weber and even the legendary Rolf Harris wink

Oh, and slightly off subject.....ABBA punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Was that not her also on "Golden Compass?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Giannini piece is now on my third listen and I'm enjoying it more.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Was that not her also on "Golden Compass?"

Yes but it's a bit of an ho hum track rolleyes
  2. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: ABBA -- Golden Hits

Indeed it is. ABBA is intelligent AND commercial pop at its best. My favourite album is actually their last, THE VISITORS from 1982 (which points to the melodic grandeur of the CHESS musical a couple of years later).

I only know the songs that everybody knows, perhaps it's time to check out the rest
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Utter bliss cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS - Ralph Vaughan Williams

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009
    Glad to see that Tim is back on the beam again with RVW
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Glad to see that Tim is back on the beam again with RVW

I did it on purpose Tom, an 'abstinance makes the heart grow fonder' kind of thing, I quite often do that with favourite film composers too though it isn't as noticable on the 'Now Playing Part ~$%$ thread as it is on this one;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can tell you I've fallen in love with Giannini Piano Concerto. I'm still trying to warm up to the Symphony
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote

This album has pretty much been the soundtrack to my time in Australia and has perfectly reflected my attitude to the past eight months. Absolute bliss indeed.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

This album has pretty much been the soundtrack to my time in Australia and has perfectly reflected my attitude to the past eight months. Absolute bliss indeed.

cool

Every time you play that album now will nostalgically transport you back to Oz. Maybe this is worth a thread at some point? Everyone has particular connections to certain places via music. I'm sure Thor did a thread like this once over at FSM?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I have a few of those albums/scores. The Fray's How To Save a Life album reminds me of California in general, and Christopher Gordon's Melbourne Commonwealth music reminds me of San Fransisco.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, I have a few of those albums/scores. The Fray's How To Save a Life album reminds me of California in general, and Christopher Gordon's Melbourne Commonwealth music reminds me of San Fransisco.

As I said, good subject for it's own thread!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Every time you play that album now will nostalgically transport you back to Oz.

I know it mate. As it was my last full day in Australia today, I decided to have a reflective afternoon in the sun, so I just sat down on the grass and played this on my iPod. In fact, I started to feel really sad, but in a good way. Kind of like: it's so depressing to be leaving all the good times - but they were GOOD times. Then you just smile and enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Every time you play that album now will nostalgically transport you back to Oz.

I know it mate. As it was my last full day in Australia today, I decided to have a reflective afternoon in the sun, so I just sat down on the grass and played this on my iPod. In fact, I started to feel really sad, but in a good way. Kind of like: it's so depressing to be leaving all the good times - but they were GOOD times. Then you just smile and enjoy.

cool

When do you arrive back here?