• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    The finishing touches on the Arensky review
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Mad Professor
    Scientist
    Vampires
    ...and reggae dub?

I swear there's some fantastically over-the-top exploitation satire film material in there! lick

Thanks Timmer! I'll most certainly have a look!!

Oh, and Dub Syndicate, you just have to hear the excellent Ravi Shankar Dub punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    NP: Orff: Carmina Burana - Carl Orff (London Symphony Orchestra & Richard Hickox)

Excellent recording. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    William wrote
    NP: Orff: Carmina Burana - Carl Orff (London Symphony Orchestra & Richard Hickox)

Excellent recording. punk

i've just heard this recording way too much!!!
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    SCHEHERAZADEThis could be my favorite work of anything I've ever listened to. However, not this recording as it came from that set and the recording part is weak and the playing just average.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    The version that I'm familiar with (that is, Carmina Burana) is the James Levine/Chicago Symphony Orchestra (DRG) version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orff-Carmina-Bu … amp;sr=8-1

Maybe I've gotten used to this one over the years (I've not felt the need to buy another version), but any other version doesn't sound as good).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think you do get use to a particular release Alan.
    Thomas
  1. sdtom wrote
    I think you do get use to a particular release Alan.
    Thomas

For someone who has had a much wider experience of classical music Tom, have you heard the Levine/CSO version of Carmina Burana? And if you have, what's your personal opinion of it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm especially fond of my Bournemouth Symphony conducted by Marin Alsop (Naxos8.570033). While I've not heard that particular recording I've also heard Ormandy, Previn and Ozawa.

http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue … pid=309319

It might be worth investigating for $6.99.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    CAPRICCIO ESPAGNOL...RIMSKY-KORSAKOVThis is the second selection on the recording that also included Scheherazade. I would say this one is a bit stronger but still doesn't have that crisp sound I've heard on other recordings.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote

NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

Bernard Herrmann's version, to be honest there are far better.

Hey Timmer

Just wondering, I'm listening to the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Tortelier right now. While I think it's a superb performance and recording, are there similar versions out there, been wanting to get this on CD and there are a bunch of other recordings out, but I can't find this Torterlier one. You in the know if there are other ones easy enough to find?

Favorite planets are Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus. beer

One of the few classical albums I genuinely enjoy listening to, because it's so amazingly thematic and energetic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

Bernard Herrmann's version, to be honest there are far better.

Hey Timmer

Just wondering, I'm listening to the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Tortelier right now. While I think it's a superb performance and recording, are there similar versions out there, been wanting to get this on CD and there are a bunch of other recordings out, but I can't find this Torterlier one. You in the know if there are other ones easy enough to find?

Favorite planets are Mars, Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn. beer

One of the few classical albums I genuinely enjoy listening to, because it's so amazingly thematic and energetic.

I haven't heard the Totelier version myself Gilles but I would heartily recommend both Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony version ( his MARS is AWESOME ) and Herbert Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic.

Tom may well have some recommendations too. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I do have some recommendations. Please PM me and I know I can help you.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This 20 CD set which includes the planets is well worth exploring.
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Metamorphoses by Richard Strauss
  2. sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Regarding The Planets, I know the Berliner Philharmoniker / Karajan is available at my favourite webshop. I'm just looking for a good representation of the music, I know the Berliner sound is nothing short of spectacular, judging from the Deep Blue soundtrack so that should be a good choice, no?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    I would get this 20 CD set because you should be able to get the whole thing for under $30 including shipping!!! Not a bad deal.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What I'm thinking that I might do is just get a few of them for anyone who wants it and send them out myself.
    Thomas
  3. sdtom wrote
    I would get this 20 CD set because you should be able to get the whole thing for under $30 including shipping!!! Not a bad deal.
    Thomas

20 CDs???

Damn... do all the moons beside the planets get their own CD or what? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Planets recording is Geoffrey Simon and the London Philharmonic and a good recording.
    Thomas
  4. This one?

The one I'm familiar with is this one. I think it came with a magazine which my dad is subscribed to. That's why it doesn't sell everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Regarding The Planets, I know the Berliner Philharmoniker / Karajan is available at my favourite webshop. I'm just looking for a good representation of the music, I know the Berliner sound is nothing short of spectacular, judging from the Deep Blue soundtrack so that should be a good choice, no?

You can't go wrong with Karajan / Berlin but I still think Dutoit / Montreal edges it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This may all be true but why not get 19 additional CD's which includes Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Debussy, Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov and others. I think the Simon is good enough. I've heard worse this is for sure.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    This may all be true but why not get 19 additional CD's which includes Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Debussy, Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov and others. I think the Simon is good enough. I've heard worse this is for sure.
    Thomas

I'm seriously not interested in all but The Planets Tom. My dad is the one bitten by the classical virus. Me I was bitten by that other virus, which is family come to think of it...

Timmer wrote
    You can't go wrong with Karajan / Berlin but I still think Dutoit / Montreal edges it.

Ok I'll look into which one is more easily available and go for one of those two. Thanks for the recommendations guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I haven't heard the specific, but in general, very few performances outdo Karajan - Berlin. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just don't seem to get it confused Why would you not want to take advantage of this fine offer. There are also three other sets enabling you to have 80 CD's of the basic classics for $40. I remember a few years back when there was a closeout on Varese Sarabande cassettes for $.10 each. Do you think I hesitated not buying up 250 of them. I transferred some of them to CD and while the quality isn't as good as a CD(as our many downloads) it is certainly nice to have some impossible to find material.
    Don't get it
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: METAMORPHOSES (1945) by Richard Strauss. It is performed quite nicely in a live recording by the Netherlands Chamber Orchestra conducted by Hartmut Haenchen. A nice recording which is part of the 20 CD set. This work was written in response to what Strauss saw after the devastation of what the war did to his country.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    One of the greatest composers ever to exist was born this day in 1840.

Who am I talking about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of my favourites!

WOO! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cheesy