• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited
    Panthera wrote
    I wonder if Alan Menken has heard this?

http://www.last.fm/music/Wing/_/A+Whole+New+World+(Tenor+Version)?autostart

You'll have to copy and paste the entire link.

That's just....weird. A sloppy karaoke version.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    I have a London recording which I'll have to dig out or get the Naxos version of the Elgar Symphony.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited
    NP - Filmtales - Paul Leonard-Morgan

Like the album's title suggests, it is soundtrack-y, though by way of the sound of Craig Armstrong. The ingredient is simple; some sort of electronic grooves or drum&bass beats laid over bed of lower end strings playing a rather cyclical motif and let the elements interplay and develop (Yes the description is rather simple, but I don't know how to say it any better). In fact, tracks like "Elektra" and "Seen from the Outside" seems like alternate versions of tracks from Craig Armstrong's astralwerk albums, The Space Between Us and As If for Nothing. The piano work is good as well, though it's often joined in by strings and/or some trip-hop beats. There's even a Thomas Newman-by-of-Trevor-Rabin piano piece, but only slightly.

I went to his website and read that he's done lots of TV work for the BBC as well as film work and ads, along with arrangements for bands and what not... So I'm thinking that some of these tracks could have been taken from his work on those projects.... And he does know and worked with Craig Armstrong before...

Anyway, Filmtales, recommended for any Craig Armstrong fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    lp wrote
    NP - FilmTales - Paul Leonard-Morgan

Like the album's title suggests, it's is soundtrack-y, though by way of the sound of Craig Armstrong, with some sort of electronic grooves or drum&bass beats laid over bed of strings or a motif and let the elements interplay and develop. Track like "Elektra" and "Seen from the Outside" seems like alternate versions of tracks from Craig Armstrong's astralwerk albums, The Space Between Us and As If for Nothing. But, I like this album nonetheless, since there are lots of good tracks to compliment anything that sound derivative. Heck, it could just be one of those style that only Scottish composers can instinctively do so well? Recommended for any Craig Armstrong fans.

What is the record label?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    sdtom wrote
    lp wrote
    NP - FilmTales - Paul Leonard-Morgan

Like the album's title suggests, it's is soundtrack-y, though by way of the sound of Craig Armstrong, with some sort of electronic grooves or drum&bass beats laid over bed of strings or a motif and let the elements interplay and develop. Track like "Elektra" and "Seen from the Outside" seems like alternate versions of tracks from Craig Armstrong's astralwerk albums, The Space Between Us and As If for Nothing. But, I like this album nonetheless, since there are lots of good tracks to compliment anything that sound derivative. Heck, it could just be one of those style that only Scottish composers can instinctively do so well? Recommended for any Craig Armstrong fans.

What is the record label?

I got the album from here. Good site for stuff. My first purchase with them was for the E.S. Posthumus'Unearthed album. Recommended. Anyway, the label is Rage Music Ltd.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/paulleonardmorgan
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thx
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Thor wrote
    Panthera wrote
    I wonder if Alan Menken has heard this?

http://www.last.fm/music/Wing/_/A+Whole+New+World+(Tenor+Version)?autostart

You'll have to copy and paste the entire link.

That's just....weird. A sloppy karaoke version.

That's not sloppy, that's Wing. She's somewhat infamous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    NP: GAUDI (Alan Parsons Project)

I can't believe how many times I can listen to my APP albums without tiring of them. Not all the songs here are great, but "La Sagrada Familia" is EPIC (befitting of the actual cathedral, which I've visited, although in "restoration mode")!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Serenada Schizophrenia (Danny Elfman)

Very cool. cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Serenada Schizophrenia (Danny Elfman)

Very cool. cool

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2006/10/04/s … anaelfman/

I listened to this several times when it first came out and haven't gone back to it since. I did review it about 3 years ago.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009
    NP : MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN - Alan Hovhaness

Mysterious!? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Or perhaps - mountainous? shame
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    I enjoy the piece
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Or perhaps - mountainous? shame

Yeeeessss...mysterious?...yet, mountainous!? Uhmmmm....indeed!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    How long has it been Tim since you've actually listened to RVW? The concert was super by the way. I understand next year they are going to play Sinfonia Antarctica, sweeeeet
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    How long has it been Tim since you've actually listened to RVW? The concert was super by the way. I understand next year they are going to play Sinfonia Antarctica, sweeeeet
    Thomas

Too long I think Tom!? shame ( a week or two is too long )

Antartica? Excellent! I've never seen that on any program here? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i'm excited
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm back to listening to the Arensky Piano Concerto and other works in preparation for the review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Beethoven: Symphony No. 9, "Choral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (Bernard Haitink & London Symphony Orchestra)

What a finale! shocked cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    NP: Beethoven: Symphony No. 9, "Choral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (Bernard Haitink & London Symphony Orchestra)

What a finale! shocked cheesy

The finale is breathtaking. The whole symphony is simply brilliant. Have you watched the very good but underrated "COPYING BEETHOVEN" btw?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Combo! - Henry Mancini

Fine big band jazz, with John Williams on harpsichord! Thanks be to Tom for pointing this one out to me.
    Excellent stuff. Dig that crazy beat! dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Downbeat The Ruler - various artists

Killer reggae instrumental tracks by such groups as Sound Dimension and the Brentford Road All Stars, none of whom I've evr even heard about, but MON, there's MAJOR mojo in this one! :spliff:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Combo! - Henry Mancini

Fine big band jazz, with John Williams on harpsichord! Thanks be to Tom for pointing this one out to me.
    Excellent stuff. Dig that crazy beat! dizzy

I have a liking for the Playboy theme from that album!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    Have you watched the very good but underrated "COPYING BEETHOVEN" btw?

I have not. I'll check it out. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Downbeat The Ruler - various artists

Killer reggae instrumental tracks by such groups as Sound Dimension and the Brentford Road All Stars, none of whom I've evr even heard about, but MON, there's MAJOR mojo in this one! :spliff:

Have you ever heard any Scientist or Mad Professor Martijn? Kick ass instrumental dub reggae cool

p.s. ":spliff:" You Dutch eh!? rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still no RVW on the playlist of Timmer, yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Have you ever heard any Scientist or Mad Professor Martijn? Kick ass instrumental dub reggae cool

Nope. My knowledge of reggae is pretty much limited to that Cryin' Zion Lion bloke and the soundtrack of Monkey Island. spin. I'll have a lookout for those! Cheers, Timmer.

I thought it would be a Jamaican thing to say.
    Not that I'm into national stereotypes, mind! Not at all! <throws wooden clog at Timmer's morning haddock>
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nope. My knowledge of reggae is pretty much limited to that Cryin' Zion Lion bloke and the soundtrack of Monkey Island. spin. I'll have a lookout for those! Cheers, Timmer.

I thought it would be a Jamaican thing to say.
    Not that I'm into national stereotypes, mind! Not at all! <throws wooden clog at Timmer's morning haddock>

Oi! you just split the yolk of the poached egg on top my fish cry

p.s. Check out some of the album covers which are fantastic, like Scientist Rids The World of The Evil Curse of The Vampires...a dub classic cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Still no RVW on the playlist of Timmer, yikes

Crumbs!!! shocked I had to go back to April 16th on page 80 to see the last time I played RVW!?

Well, I can't force myself and I'm on a film music vibe at the moment Tom but you can be sure it won't be long wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mad Professor
    Scientist
    Vampires
    ...and reggae dub?

I swear there's some fantastically over-the-top exploitation satire film material in there! lick

Thanks Timmer! I'll most certainly have a look!!