• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2009
    Vaughan Williams might be more performed in symphony concerts where Copland, in my view would get a nod in more of the Pops venue.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : OK - Talvin Singh

Drum n' bass with a big Indian flavour, some more mellow tracks too with orchestral flourishes, even jazzy at times and I'm really enjoying it.

One for Thor but NOT Tom biggrin cool

NP : OK - Talvin Singh

I think you would like some of this Tom, but only some of it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2009 edited
    NP: THE REMIXES (Juno Reactor)

I've been on a Juno roll recently. On this CD, you'll find the excellent material for the MATRIX films, among other things ("Mona Lise Overdrive" etc.). Some of the remixes are a tad bit too commercialized, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

I've been on a Juno roll recently. On this CD, you'll find the excellent material for the MATRIX films, among other things ("Mona Lise Overdrive" etc.). Some of the remixes are a tad bit too commercialized, though.

Oooo... I hear the sound of Martijn's cup of tea! lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

You like Juno Reactor, eh? So you're a bit into other psytrance/goa stuff as well?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Send me a small sound clip you'd think I would like Timmer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

You like Juno Reactor, eh? So you're a bit into other psytrance/goa stuff as well?

I like Juno Reactor, also, the Talvin Singh I was playing would fit nicely with some Goa trance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Errrrrr, well, yes and no: I really like goa and trance influences, especially in more commercial formats (e.g. Madonna's Ray Of Light is the only CD of hers I really like, and it's very trance-y), but oddly I loathe the "established" big DJs: Tiesto, Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk... I find it all rather boring.

I do have a couple of more obscure Goa sampler CDs which are absolutely fantasttic for dance parties. Best dance parties I ever went to were Goa parties too.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Errrrrr, well, yes and no: I really like goa and trance influences, especially in more commercial formats (e.g. Madonna's Ray Of Light is the only CD of hers I really like, and it's very trance-y), but oddly I loathe the "established" big DJs: Tiesto, Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk... I find it all rather boring.

I like all of those too, but I'm not sure I would put Oakey in that company. Sure, he's done his fair share of commercial trance, but he has (had) his hands in so many things (from pop to hip hop to film music) that he's hard to pin down. And he started out with goa influences, much like Juno.

Also, psytrance/goa is nothing like those "big" DJ's in the first place. It's a whole other musical expression, far darker and less commercial - dark tribal beats and exotic, psychedelic colours. Think artists like Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Astral Projection, Hallucinogen or Man With No Name. It's big in Israel and obviously India (Goa being the place it all started). Perfect both for dancing and sitting perfectly still, in a "trance".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I fookin' love Shpongle.
    Excellent stuff!

Good taste, m'man! punk
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Arthur Honegger - Pacific 231
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Schubert Symphony No. 9 - Franz Schubert (Philharmonia Orchestra)

Excellent. punk
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    William wrote

Excellent. punk

The Great! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    ColSharpe wrote
    William wrote

Excellent. punk

The Great! smile

Yeah. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    More Amon Tobin stuff....I honestly can't get enough of this guy. Does anyone know any similar artists?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    William wrote
    ColSharpe wrote
    William wrote

Excellent. punk

The Great! smile

Yeah. smile

Yeah 2 !!!!!
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 3 Christopher Gunning. The piece is written with 5 different parts but in a single movement. You can definitely classify this one in the modern sounding area, no romantic inclinations involved in this one at all.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The opening phrase, which is repeated, is certainly one designed to get your attention. Still debating on this one as it will have to be listened to for a period of time (Gunning Symphony #3)
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The opening phrase, which is repeated, is certainly one designed to get your attention. Still debating on this one as it will have to be listened to for a period of time (Gunning Symphony #3)
    Thomas

Most importantly Tom, do you like / enjoy it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tim, I'm still working on listening to all three pieces. It also includes his 4th Symphony and an Oboe Concerto, played by his daughter, with a string orchestra.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Tim, I'm still working on listening to all three pieces. It also includes his 4th Symphony and an Oboe Concerto, played by his daughter, with a string orchestra.
    Thomas

Then I look forward to hearing your final view Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Antidote - Morcheeba

I frigging *love* Morcheeba's latest CD (2005); every track is a winner on this wonderful, semi-melancholy yet danceable summer evening, motown-triphop-rockpop-jazzy CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Antidote - Morcheeba

I frigging *love* Morcheeba's latest CD (2005); every track is a winner on this wonderful, semi-melancholy yet danceable summer evening, motown-triphop-rockpop-jazzy CD.

Yet another album I need to dust off rolleyes I barely remember it it's been so long and I do / did, like it....from what I remember!? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009
    NP: Honegger - Symphony No.1
    Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Charles Dutoit
    Liked it after first listen.

Aslo listened to:
    Krzysztof Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBVYhyXU8o
    Scary stuff. Listen when you are alnoe and in total darkness biggrin

Honegger - Pacific 231
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfysyex_DAk
    Cool piece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2009
    ColSharpe wrote

Aslo listened to:

Honegger - Pacific 231
    Cool piece.

I think Penderecki has been the influence on many horror scores and was even used in The Exorcist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2009
    ColSharpe wrote

Aslo listened to:

Honegger - Pacific 231
    Cool piece.

I somewhere have an LP recording of the Honegger piece but don'lt believe I've ever heard the Penderecki piece.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2009
    NP : WE LIVE HERE - Pat Metheny Group

Perfect music for a perfect day full of hot sun and vivid blue skies biggrin cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny Group

Ahhhhhhhh cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ITAIPU - Philip Glass

punk Easily my all time favourite Glass work....MASSIVE! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For sure this is a classical work but it is for a film called Sport, Sport, Sport, composed by Alfred Schnittke.